PDA

View Full Version : Map Crashs and complaint

u5611977
06-30-2008, 03:05 PM
My bug, I have had SH4 for around 4 months now. I have no idea why but recently I have encountered really bad crash bug. In the video game developing world it's known as a soft lock. Which means it crashes the sound keeps going like a scratched cd. Because the game is still trying to work but cant because it's caught on something. My crashes always acure when I'm about 3 or 4 saves into a patrol. I'll go into the map view and compress time. The sub move for a few seconds then soft lock or game freeze. It's not my system either, 4 GB of ram, dull core, 512m video card. It should work great and it does, until this accurse. And never fails to happen. Does anyone have any sudjestions? I have tried the short cut change (changing it from GU to SH3.exe), still the same thing. It's patched with 1.4. My opion is it is a soft lock caused by corrupted save maybe? I've tried reinstalling it and everything and still soft lock at the same place. Is there any cure or why fixing this so I can at least finish a patrol.

Complaint: I'm a big fan of SH3 (GWX), but SH4 quite frankly I'm little disappointed with. I really didn't want to make a complaint about a game series that I liked so much. But I have too. A great game concept, but with way to many bugs. I have worked with game developers in the past. I know there mentality, ship it as quick as possible. The concept is of the game is great, but cooperate deregulation allows them release something that needs about 6 months more of development. SH4 is pleaged with really bad bugs and it's not the game I don't like or the people who made it. It's the people who but impossible deadlines on the people making it, just to make it just to make a quick buck. It's the fact that they were rushed into shipping a game that has many flaws. Don't leave it up to the players too try to fix. It should function great the first day and if it doesn't release a worthy patch ASAP to fix it. A game like SH4 needed allot more TLC during development. To me that is really bad business, and in military language UNSAT.

u5611977
06-30-2008, 03:05 PM
My bug, I have had SH4 for around 4 months now. I have no idea why but recently I have encountered really bad crash bug. In the video game developing world it's known as a soft lock. Which means it crashes the sound keeps going like a scratched cd. Because the game is still trying to work but cant because it's caught on something. My crashes always acure when I'm about 3 or 4 saves into a patrol. I'll go into the map view and compress time. The sub move for a few seconds then soft lock or game freeze. It's not my system either, 4 GB of ram, dull core, 512m video card. It should work great and it does, until this accurse. And never fails to happen. Does anyone have any sudjestions? I have tried the short cut change (changing it from GU to SH3.exe), still the same thing. It's patched with 1.4. My opion is it is a soft lock caused by corrupted save maybe? I've tried reinstalling it and everything and still soft lock at the same place. Is there any cure or why fixing this so I can at least finish a patrol.

Complaint: I'm a big fan of SH3 (GWX), but SH4 quite frankly I'm little disappointed with. I really didn't want to make a complaint about a game series that I liked so much. But I have too. A great game concept, but with way to many bugs. I have worked with game developers in the past. I know there mentality, ship it as quick as possible. The concept is of the game is great, but cooperate deregulation allows them release something that needs about 6 months more of development. SH4 is pleaged with really bad bugs and it's not the game I don't like or the people who made it. It's the people who but impossible deadlines on the people making it, just to make it just to make a quick buck. It's the fact that they were rushed into shipping a game that has many flaws. Don't leave it up to the players too try to fix. It should function great the first day and if it doesn't release a worthy patch ASAP to fix it. A game like SH4 needed allot more TLC during development. To me that is really bad business, and in military language UNSAT.

RockinRobbins
06-30-2008, 04:26 PM
SH4 is generally a very rock steady program that plays well with others. It's much more stable than SH3, for instance. I've run it for days at a time with a huge collection of junk running in the background (including heavy-duty business programs, Photoshop, instant messengers, Excel, all those things you don't want to let near your games) and have had incredible performance from SH4, way better than other games I've run.

If your game is locking up or crashing to desktop it almost always is some kind of software conflict. Most likely it is a mod conflict of some kind. Usually this happens when you accidentally uninstall mods in a different order than they were installed. This can be fixed by uninstalling SH4.

You'll have the option of keeping all save game info. Go ahead and do that. Then reinstall and repatch the game. Run it with no mods first. I'll bet you can't make it crash then.

Then it is a matter of reinstalling your chosen mods in the correct order. You'll be back in business.

I cheat a bit by making a clean install, then copying the entire Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific directory to a new one called SH4UBM Pristeen. I then write protect that directory and all subdirectories.

Then when the game gets squirrelly you can just delete the bad files and copy the clean files back in. You can be back in business (without mods of course) in minutes.

u5611977
06-30-2008, 05:53 PM
On my system, SH3 runs stable and SH4 runs unstable. SH4 runs fine for the most part, it's not really the game proformance. It's the fact that I play a patrol. Save 4 or 5 times. Then I'll come back and boot, say save five. It will let me play fine. The bug is when I go to the map screen and try to time compress then is locks. I get the would you like to send an error report message. It always does it. Then I'll reboot same thing. I'm totaly cofused why it does that. But it never fails to crash. Ive tried doing a fresh install. Ive tried doing changing I have tried the short cut change (changing it from GU to SH4.exe), still the same thing. It's really strange. It doesn't seem to matter mod or no mod. The only thing that I can think is maybe it some how curupts the save? I'm not to happy about it. I'll try your sudjestion and see what happens and report back.

u5611977
07-01-2008, 08:55 AM
Below, this is exactly the problem I'm seeing. I although I have patch 1.4, aperently this bug was not fixed in that patch. I have re installed the game sense I last comented. With the saves I have it still does the same thing. I don't know about a new patrol save.

Below from Mike September 01 2007, this is the bug I'm seeing exactly. I think this may be a great temp fix for this issue. So it helps. Does anyone have a premenent fix yet?? Why was this not fixed yet?? Somthing like this should have been fixed a year ago before the game was even realeased, what gives? Thats a major bug? That's not some random rare cliping issue or somthing like that. This makes the game unplayible.
UNSAT!!

Qoute from
mike561960 Posted Sat September 01 2007 13:41
I have had the same problem as others with crash to desktop (CTD) over the sound.act file and SHsound.act file causing a CTD. These errors with the faulting module sound.act has happened in versions 1.3 and 1.2 for me. Currently, faulting application sh4.exe, version 1.3.0.0, faulting module sound.act, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00001dd3.
I did try other members advice by renaming file in question or deleting them from main SH4 directory or reinstalling the game with appropriate patch. I was trying to find a quicker solution than having to reinstall game or patches.
DEMAND PATCH 1.4!!!!

The game would crash at various time compressions used during game play. Actual time play was irrelevant. This has happened to me in many saves. Once I get back to main base, the problem disappears until many saved games later. Completely random. I use so many mods so it does not matter what mods I have used since they vary so much.

I have noticed the sound.act errors has happened more frequently in March or April 1943 and later. I used different subs. I have started careers completely over.

DEMAND PATCH 1.4!!!!

Solution: Temporarily disable the sound, video and game controller in your Windows device manager for your currently saved game. My sound card is Soundblaster 24-bit Live and an onboard Realtek AC'97 audio from VIA controller. The onboard sound is disabled. I disabled the Soundblaster card and used onboard sound and still had (CTD. I even tested the problem without the radio and gramophone. Still CTDs.

The sound controller under Windows XP is found by right clicking the "My computer" icon on the desktop or through windows explorer. Scroll down and click properties. Click Hardware tab. Click Device manager.

Now I was able to maximize time compression for what I set my game for and make it back to the home base with no crash to desktop errors.

DEMAND PATCH 1.4!!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mike561960, Sat September 22 2007 09:15