View Full Version : OT - holidays out there... somewhere!

01-25-2007, 04:02 PM
Lots of pics of my recent holiday - I promise to post the ZA Lighthouse details later ??

Anyway we had been working for a year and I was 'gatvol' (fulla.s.s - had enough) of dah city.
I'd been to this little dorpie (town, more like a village) a year previously on an installation job,
so I 'explained' to the family that..
- We were going on holiday..
- There was nothing to do there..
- We are going to be very bored..
- There was 'nothing' there..
- It was up there somewhere..
- I liked it very much..

So we went to Paternoster !!
Maybe the Portuguese people can clarify my understanding of the history here.

PaterNoster means 'Our Father' from the christian prayers of the 1400-1500's. Portuguese sailors
from this period were stranded/shipwrecked in this area (you'll see from the photo's, there's nothing here)
and they prayed for a caravel (sailing ship) to appear on the horizon and rescue them.

The Family and I wondered up and down this area and some 400 photos later, here are a few..

a restaurant on dah beach

A place called TittiesBay around the corner - Hardcore campers hangout here.

when I saw this lighthouse, I went bananas, but had to control myself. So on the way back..
the car 'tried to drive' into the lighthouse door.

then I got excited about all the gear in the tower...
the steam pressure tank..

the old motor system

the newer thing

then up the coast to some 'lonely' places
St. Helena Bay (not Island)

another lighthouse at StompNeus Bay

all in the same area of this Diaz monument donated by the Portuguese government
in rememberance of those brave sailors so long ago..

01-25-2007, 04:43 PM
Great Pics Kaleun Freddie, Makes me want to book a holiday!

01-25-2007, 04:54 PM
Me too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

01-25-2007, 07:33 PM
I want to go somewhere like that, no IT, no mobile coverage, hardy any phones.
I love the idea of almost no outside influence on holidays, fantastic.
BTW, any surfing there? I know SA has some of the best point breaks ever (and the hungriest sharks)

01-26-2007, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by hueywolf123:
BTW, any surfing there? I know SA has some of the best point breaks ever (and the hungriest sharks)

No surfing in this area, had a 6-8 foot swell running while we were there. This is a little bay shielded from the swell. About 30Km further up the coast there's Elands Bay which has a long left point break, similar to Jeffrey's bay right break. Of the 25 years I surfed for I actually never went to Elands.. It was just that too far at that time..!!

01-26-2007, 01:28 AM
That beach looks beautiful. I really need a holiday now! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

01-26-2007, 02:12 AM
KF, my wife went on a riding holiday through SA when we started going out.
She visited J-bay and went to Martin Potters surf shop there and ordered me a custom board.
She rang me one night and asked my experience level, my height and weight etc. I never twigged to what she was doing (stupid me) and two weeks later, a brand new stick arrived. A tri-fin 'fish', with concaves running through a square tail with soft edges up front and hard rails at the tail.
I still love riding this board.

01-26-2007, 04:33 AM
Ja, I don't surf anymore, but I've been 'threatening' my kids that I will again... and embaris them http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif. I'm now 'coach' and do all the shouting from the beach as the kids surf/boogie board.
I still have my last board, which has been in my garage for the past 5 years or so. A 5'10" twin fin, swallowtail. 21" wide and 3" thick. I'll take pic when I get back from work ( this is my work sig as I cannot remember the password for the full K_F name). It has my special 'secret design' that makes it very manouverable, while still being able to tackle waves up to 12' (well that's the biggest I ever ridden).

01-26-2007, 04:42 AM
I laughed (atually I was fuming) when my kid first started surfing 2 years ago. For the first couple of months, he told me he was embarissed to have me around. I should stay in the car when I dropped and picked him up.

Man! that little bugger hurt my feelings. and I moaned/complained to the wife. I also told him that he could walk to the beach. Anyway that has worn off and I occasionally tease him, but carefully ask him if he's embarissed to have me around... Do I have to grovel http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

01-26-2007, 05:39 PM
My daughter roars with laughter whenever she sees me in my wetsuit, now thats embarrasing