PDA

View Full Version : WE WANT INABILITY TO LOAD EXTERNALS IN STORMS!!!

lbhskier37
05-15-2005, 09:30 AM
Title says it all. Would also be nice if you couldn't submerge during the transfer either, or do it when you are moving.

Night_Crawler
05-15-2005, 09:39 AM
Yes you can load externals torps into bow, thats possible during extremly storm, sailers will be hooked up with a "life-line" thats also explain that it takes almost an hour to do....

i did that many times, and no ones dies http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

lbhskier37
05-15-2005, 09:47 AM
No, I mean we shouldn't be able to. If it was too stormy to man the deck gun, there is no way they could load an external torp. The torp loading hatch is much farther forward on the bow (correct?) and with waves big enough to wash up to the conning tower like we have in the 15m/s winds, there is no way they could be out on that bow.

FCBill
05-15-2005, 10:38 AM
While I agree that being able to reload in rough seas is a bit odd, if it was restricted to the point that the deck guns are, the IX (D2 especially) would be a pointless upgrade.

Iphicles2005
05-15-2005, 11:07 AM
The poster makes an excellent observation and one which I have made myself in other threads. I agree that for certain playstyles this is a major inconvenience, but for others it affords a certain realism that we are grasping for.

A mod should be made, if at all possible, or perhaps a minor patch could be implemented by the devs to address this issue.

fizilbert
05-15-2005, 11:30 AM
We shouldn't be allowed to dive so quickly during the middle of the proceedure either. Right now if we get ambushed, we can dive in 30seconds and we dont even lose the torp. You should lose the torp (it has to get tossed overboard) and have to take a huge penalty in the time you can dive.

archer49d
05-15-2005, 11:47 AM
Lose a torp?

Ever try pulling 2 tons out of a submarine?

What should happen is that you can't dive, the loading hatch for the torpedo has a torpedo sticking out of it, first you have to pull the torpedo out of that, or push it in as fast as possible, then close the hatch. Otherwise if you dive you have a big hole on the deck thats letting water in.

dagamecat
05-15-2005, 12:03 PM
agree with the original poster, for realism. also, for realism, we should only be able to transfer front OR aft torpedoes, not both at the same time.

T.Rex
05-15-2005, 12:31 PM
Diving was not allowed in CAoD. This was annoying http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif How it should be? Probably losing torp and moving equipment + extra diving time during first 15-25% of movement. Inability to dive until 75-80% is done. Later nothing (we have torp loose in sub, but what should the effects be? We have them loose too, when reloading)

alanschu
05-15-2005, 12:35 PM
Am I the only person that sees an acceptable solution to this being to simply not reload external torpedos in stormy conditions?

Maj_Solo
05-15-2005, 01:09 PM
yes but what if u get jumped i nice weather by destroyer or aircraft, one really has to pick a quiet spot to do this at. Also depending on where you are in the procedure your voulnerability is different, just beginning the procedure you are setting up the process, u just dive then and possibly loosing the rig, in the middle then deep ****, as u say a torp sticking out through the hole, if the torp is in the close the hatch and dive, possibly loosing the rig, and then finnish handling the torp inside, but no reload in bad weather I agree.

Tyke909
05-15-2005, 06:06 PM
Simple answer for those who think you shouldn't be allowed to do the task. Before ordering the transfer check the weather and don't do it.
Also if you can't dive while the torpedo is half loaded then don't dive for say 10 mins which would allow for the dumping of the fish.

I do agree in real terms that a sub commander would be **** careful to get to a sheltered spot before setting up the crane and half the crew to such a noisy and tricky task. However I prefer not to request the change to the game since I value gameplay over realism.

fizilbert
05-16-2005, 07:05 AM
Tyke, I can see your point there. But I think this type of thing should be included in the "realistic torpedo loading" part of the difficulty setting.

If you want realism, and have the box checked, then you should't be allowed to load the externals except in the best of conditions. If you are more of a gameplay over realism person, keep the box unchecked and you'll be able to load the externals at any time.

HeibgesU999
05-16-2005, 11:32 AM
I say don't mess with code over something that can be solved with willpower.

Tyke909
05-16-2005, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by fizilbert:
Tyke, I can see your point there. But I think this type of thing should be included in the "realistic torpedo loading" part of the difficulty setting.

If you want realism, and have the box checked, then you should't be allowed to load the externals except in the best of conditions. If you are more of a gameplay over realism person, keep the box unchecked and you'll be able to load the externals at any time.

That would be acceptable to me, if it was in the realism settings. That being said a wind speed slider in the realism settings for the function of deck and flak gunnery could be added too. These would of course need a fair amount of coding to implement just for the UI.

DerGrafVonRu
05-16-2005, 12:43 PM
Loading external torpedos in storm is imposible and wut be reckless towards the crew.

76 German U-boot men lost thier life in storm's during WWII, simply washed overboard by waves.

Luv_Muffin
05-16-2005, 01:31 PM
You don't have to load external torpedoes in a storm.
If you think that it is unrealistic, then simply don't do it.
Asking the Dev's to patch self-control is a little silly. If it's storming, batten the hatches & put your mouse down! Ha ha.

I see your point though. I wouldn't want to be the seaman that gets the order to load them in a storm, but heck, I'm the captain! My boys are going to load them, and if I don't like their surly looks, they can mop the deck in a storm too!
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

fizilbert
05-16-2005, 01:42 PM
If it was just a matter of self control, then why make it impossible to man the deck gun in a storm. Why not just use the same arguement and say, well the realism guys should just not use it during stormy seas, but anyone else that wants to do it can.

I'm not trying to argue one way or the other, I just find it interesting how the devs went so far as to limit the deck gun use but not the loading of torpedoes. And when time is available, it is one little oversight I would like to see altered.

T.Rex
05-16-2005, 01:57 PM
And what happens, when the storm brakes out?

alanschu
05-16-2005, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by fizilbert:
If it was just a matter of self control, then why make it impossible to man the deck gun in a storm. Why not just use the same arguement and say, well the realism guys should just not use it during stormy seas, but anyone else that wants to do it can.

I'm not trying to argue one way or the other, I just find it interesting how the devs went so far as to limit the deck gun use but not the loading of torpedoes. And when time is available, it is one little oversight I would like to see altered.

It is an oversight. But I'd rather have them work on more serious issues than ones that can be satisfied with self-control.

tinneri
05-16-2005, 07:22 PM
Even 15m/s wind is not wery bad weather in real life when you sail deep waters at open sea. Waves aren't raff enough to stop you doing some dekcwork. Of course it slow down your reloading process...

Charlie901
05-16-2005, 08:05 PM
Imagine how many whinning post we will get when you have a patrol where 100% of it is in stormy seas, and prople have to go home without EVER being able to reload???

We get enough winners complaining that they can't use their DECK GUN 100% of the time already. Sheeeezzz http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

But it should at least double the normal time when reloading in storms or when not at 0kts!