YAKMAN
01-29-2006, 11:46 PM
Any A20 campaigns out there please?

YAKMAN
01-29-2006, 11:46 PM
Any A20 campaigns out there please?

BH-21
01-30-2006, 07:29 AM
Well, about the only map we have that the A-20G flew actual strike missions (Non-Russian) on in the game at present is the Normandy map. All of the places that the A-20G attacked in the Pacific, we don't have any maps for. This doesn't mean someone can't fake some locations.

bird_brain
01-30-2006, 09:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BH-21:
All of the places that the A-20G attacked in the Pacific, we don't have any maps for. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm fairly certain that the A-20 saw some action in New Guinea throughout the campaign. When I was looking up some information on units there, I remember at least 1 bomb group had them. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Saunders1953
01-30-2006, 09:49 AM
BB, there were several A20 groups in the Pacific. I have started on an A20 campaign (and another one)--it will be my first, and I have so much more to go that I don't want to say much about them because they could take 6 months or more, who knows. I've got missions outlined and some even finished, except for the descriptions, but I have limited time lately to work on them. The A20 campaign is based on a book I read recently "Wreaking Havoc" by Joe Rutter. Mostly takes place in NG and Philippines.

BH-21
01-30-2006, 11:56 AM
Aye BB, but they flew A-20C or A-20B, and most if not all of their targets were off the New Guinea map we have. The majority of the A-20 missions were at Lae, Wewak, Nazdub and further up the coast. The funnest part of the entire New Guinea campaign, and we don't have a map for it. Its also the part where the Imperial Japanese Army comes in and takes over from the Navy.

For a good read, get Wreaking Havoc: A Year in an A-20.

Tater-SW-
01-30-2006, 12:19 PM
We don't have a NG map, we have a Papua map. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

That's the problem.

We lack the field mod strafers, sadly. I'dve much rather had a B-25C/D field mod strafer since the internals for that would have given us the B/C/D easily. We are expecting the A-20C, but I have no idea if they will do a field mod strafer.

BTW, in the PTO the bottom gunner position was deleted and replaced with a BDA "gun" camera they flew so low there was no chance of a botoom attack on them unless you count ground troops throwing rocks at them.

The fact that the AI is totally incapable of flying strafer missions makes a campaign kinda hard. The only possible realism you could get would be coops where every single plane has a real pilot (bombers, anyway).

tater

Saunders1953
01-30-2006, 01:10 PM
Tater--I figured on still doing a campaign, since bomb runs and parafragging doersn't work too bad. I didn't know an A20 C was likely forthcoming. Maybe I should wait.

As for the map, yep, it's sucky, but part of the fun for me with the PF aspect of this sim are the workarounds. I worked on finishing a Rabaul template and should be done next week, and will upload with a couple of missions in....two weeks, be sure. Anyway, it isn't going to be too accurate, but it "approximates" things okay I guess.

Tater-SW-
01-30-2006, 03:53 PM
The C that is coming will be glass nosed, so not really any better than a G in terms of accuracy. It'll probably lack appropriate loadouts anyway. Let me know what you're up to, I have figured out skip bombing with AI pretty well, though like all AI bombers they'll dump all at once instead of 2 per target. Obviously they don't strafe going in, either.

It'd be cool to do a coop mission with a squadon doing skip bombing or airfield attack. Might have to make a really compulsive one out of all the experiments I have done for that...

tater