PDA

View Full Version : Comments on January 28th screenshot

Dark-Whisperer
01-28-2011, 06:40 AM
Here is screenshot for those who cant find it:
http://static2.ubi.com/uk/mm/J...28_Sacred%20Tree.jpg (http://static2.ubi.com/uk/mm/January_28_Sacred%20Tree.jpg)

I have few problems with this screen:
- Ghost from the left of tree is almost invisible. I can only notice it because of the faction ring beneath.
- There seams to be some kind of fortlike building behind the tree - can't really see because of treetop.
- It looks like there is a mine (I suppose wood) behind the trees on the right, again I can't see because of the trees.

My question is: if there is no camera rotation why are some of the map objects so difficult to see. If I have to move camera left, right, up or down to see clearly certain objects I might as well rotate camera. Most important argument against rotation was just that objects were difficult to see and from today's screen I just don't see any improvement that fixed camera brought.

Asterisk
01-28-2011, 07:35 AM
This 3D shizz killed many games for me. It's too dang hard to adjust to. It's nearly impossible to memorize maps when you constantly have to rotate, pan & zoom. Instead of planning your strategy and shizz you have to do all this camera manipulation... WTF developers?..

Dark-Whisperer
01-28-2011, 07:52 AM
Many RTS today have full 3D graphic with map rotation. If people can adjust, memorize and use 3D environment in real-time why would you have difficulty when you can take all the time that you need to realign view - in fact developers can always make some kind of return to default view button in GUI and/or keyboard. There should be option in main menu to enable/disable rotation if there will be half or completely obscured objects like in this screenshot. Anyway its always better to have more then less options.

wdcryer
01-28-2011, 08:27 AM
You are able to rotate, it just resets to the fixed angle when you are done. These screenshots are a bit worrying because they said you wouldn't need to rotate the camera. That giant tree suggests otherwise.

That said, I applaud them for the beautiful graphics.

GamerGeek87
01-28-2011, 08:34 AM
I think this is an isolated case. There is not going to be big *** trees like this around every corner. Its also possible that the camera was rotated when this screen was taken.

Asterisk
01-28-2011, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Dark-Whisperer:
Many RTS today have full 3D graphic with map rotation. If people can adjust, memorize and use 3D environment in real-time why would you have difficulty when you can take all the time that you need to realign view - in fact developers can always make some kind of return to default view button in GUI and/or keyboard. There should be option in main menu to enable/disable rotation if there will be half or completely obscured objects like in this screenshot. Anyway its always better to have more then less options.

Exactly, I don't want to waste time on realigning the view just to see that dang money chest. I actually wanna just pick it up and keep on planning map domination. That totally takes away from my gameplay experience. Take Civ5 for example. 3D GFX and no need to rotate shizz. Very seldom zoom too. Perfect! Take HOMM5 for example. Dungeons look like you're playing 3rd person adventure game. Not a strategy.

Those blue highlights in the screenshot is bullshizz too.

Nightmus
01-28-2011, 02:05 PM
I see no problem here. Transparent ghosts are fine. The fact that some objects are obscured is something you should have expected. The game has perspective, thus if you move camera sideways (not rotate it, mind you), then these objects will be seen perfectly clear. The graphics are very good btw. I like the view on Haven Castle from the elevated area in front of the camera.

nqox
01-28-2011, 06:12 PM
Some people really seem to be against any advancing. I guess you would like one dimensioned cartoons of old arcade games.

There was nothing wrong for me in Heroes 5's navigation. But I could understand the people who didn't like its way.

But this? Come on. There is nothing wrong about this scene and the 3D of these game nor is 3D any way hard to adjust. 3D is great thing. If you find it hard that is a problem about your capacity.

I hate being that cyber-arrogant asses. But sometimes there is really no choice.

There will be trees. And trees are solid objects, which means you can't see other objects behind it. Please go on and complain about why you can't see the area behind the castle itself.
Would you like heroes wondering on empty floor?

What a pain...

Asterisk
01-28-2011, 07:29 PM
I'm not against 3D. I'm against THAT KIND of 3D. You find it cool to constantly adjust your view or see those ghost images of stuff behind objects. I find it very distracting and irrelevant to gameplay. I'm not playing hide and seek or where's Wally. I'm playing strategy. I want to "strategize" and plan. I must admit, 3D looks better than 2D, but don't sacrifice gameplay for looks. Why do you think people still play games and use emulators? GAMEPLAY!

Nightmus
01-29-2011, 12:17 AM
Noone's going to release 2D Heroes these days and with 3D this is as good as it gets. Nothing to complain about. In H5 there were situations where you needed to rotate camera like a madman to see what's going on, but that wasn't a frequent case, besides it was the first 3D Heroes, so the devs couldn't figure everything out in one jump. With H6 there's even a specific goal set by the devs - to make adventure map easy to read without rotating camera.

You can't tell if it's a sawmill behind the tree? But have you actually played the game? After just half an hour of playing the game you already know how most objects look and you can tell what it is by it's visible fragment. So you already can recognise it even if you can't be bothered to move a camera a little, which isn't that big a deal. If you constantly rotate camera then eventually you can be confused which way were you going, but to move a camera sideways is such a basic thing that it's strange to complain about it.

kodial79
01-30-2011, 04:32 AM
Once again people make quick judgment without thinking it through, only because they want to look for reasons, to fault the game.

What did Ubisoft promise us? A game where you don't need to rotate the cam, where everything will be obvious from a fixed camera location, focusing on your hero.

Now look where your hero is in this screenshot? Out of focus, right outside of the town. What was the caption of the screenshot again? The Tree of Elrath.

So, it never occured to you that since the screenshot is focusing on the Tree, they rotated the camera, so we could view it from a better angle?

andernout
01-31-2011, 08:10 AM
Hello all,

This is my first post to the forums and I'm still reading through the info so forgive me if it's already been discussed, but would a viable option be to alpha the objects out as your hero moves behind it just to see what's there, then return to normal view when your hero isn't blocked?

I've been playing since Heroes 2, and can see strengths and weaknesses with each game. Heroes 3 was my favourite so far...please bring back my beloved Troglodytes. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

A.