PDA

View Full Version : those that played all the campaigns

pavel44
05-21-2006, 09:11 PM
which of them are the most interesting and most intelligent?

thanks

Vicheron
05-21-2006, 09:20 PM
None of them.

pavel44
05-21-2006, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Vicheron:
None of them.

great, lol

Vicheron
05-21-2006, 09:33 PM
There is very little plot development in the campaigns. The story only got developed in those short cutscenes, which were shorter than the mission briefings in Heroes 2, 3, and 4. If they had kept those pop ups from Heroes 3 and 4, they could have developed the story much more.

pavel44
05-21-2006, 09:37 PM
Yeah Nival is not known for strong storylines. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Maybe in the expansion they'll make a small interesting campaign.

will modders be able to create interesting campaigns?

OoNebsoO
05-21-2006, 09:42 PM
And as for gameplay wise...most maps are so tedious and long that their replayability is non-existant to me. Atleast on heroic.

Can think only of first map from Sylvan campaign that I though it was quite excellent...and fifth in same campaign. But that's mostly to enjoy night in elf area.

Vicheron
05-21-2006, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by pavel44:
Yeah Nival is not known for strong storylines. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I thought Ubisoft wrote the story.

pavel44
05-21-2006, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Vicheron:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pavel44:

I thought Ubisoft wrote the story. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

maybe, I don't really know who, but it could have been a lot better...

GhostDracolich
05-21-2006, 11:34 PM
No mentions of the Forge or anything?

akrav
05-22-2006, 01:17 AM
imho campaigns were too long and too boring, and didnt even give the proper feel.

when playing as necropolis, and hearing the guy, I kept thinking, is this the bad guy from the smurfs or disney movies???, thats seriously how complex ("limited") his character was.

oh I just thought of smurfs cause that voice just made it come back to me, no idea why... and I havent seen it for over 2 decades.

Jolly-Joker
05-22-2006, 01:40 AM
This thread reminds me again why I didn't play many campaigns after playing them in the first Heroes III release.
Playing-wise the Heroes V campaigns are a step into the right direction again for me. Missions are different and there are some interesting ideas, for example

SPOILER
You must make certain fights with ALL your heroes, not only with one.
END SPOILER

Furthermore there are many different kinds of missions. On the other hand, since everything is very scripted to get things the desired direction, the replay value drops because of this, which is something that began with H 3. I've played the Campaigns of H 2 fairly often - mainly because of the fact that there isn't much of a story in them - basically they are loosely connected maps under a title with a few interesting things, but no carryover heroes.
That changed in H3 - and it's clear the stories, scripted events and so on will lead to a drop in replay value - how many times can you play an adventure game?
Now, whether cut-scenes, no matter how good they can get, or simple story-pages like in H 4 - having campaigns the good ole' H 2 way, how many people would complain THEN over the lack of story, animations, cool effects and so on?

The first campaign is purely tutorial. I don't like the second that much because it's more or less running away; you don't see much of the Inferno as a town. The 3rd, well, the story gets going then, I'd rate it so-so. The last 3 campaigns are pretty good, I think.

TheRider12
05-22-2006, 01:59 AM
the last 3 campaignes are better? Oh, and I stopped playing hmm5 after the necro-story, I find the first 3 camp. lame.
And I love playing adventure games or quest games and some of them I play for more than once (or twice lol) because of the story (which can develop in many directions according to your actions), well this is not quest game and hmm5 campaigns should been with more tactics in them, not only running around the maps (haven and inferno do mostly this, and the third map in inferno where you race with another demon lord to reach first the hall of heroes is just not serious, this kind of scenario can be put if you have 10 scenarios in a campaign, not 5 - like the tunnel/rescue maps in warcraft III). I dont have any comentars about the necromancer because I dont even remember anything of the story, it was so plain and stupid. I only remember the 3d map because for some reason it threated my computer as low class and everything was VERY slow and I had to lower the videoquality to low so I can somehow play it. The special ability of Markal takes so much tactics and thinking from you, you just collect the undead which are placed from the developers and you win (for some reason the dread knights attacked me all the time, and there was another minor bug in the cinematics when the text says "four artifacts" and the voice of markal says "three artifacts").
I will go now search for reviews about hmm5 and read how the big guys in the business take this game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DarkMystery1979
05-22-2006, 02:25 AM
i must say as hommII was mentioned, i liked its campaign best.

while there was no such a complex story, the atmosphere was tight.

scenarios where quite challenging, cause of no lame overpowered heroes that you can carry with you nor lame "your hero has not to retreat or you loose" scripts.

it was more the game and strategic decisions back then. also nice was a map where you could choose missions instead forced to play a script.

and there was no half assed faction campaign with only just 5 scenarios each with no real goal, but only good vs evil with all factions sided with it to either claim total victory or defeat.

i wish that back i must say, this was a campaign worth to play.

another nice campaign are campaigns like in rise of nation and seven kindoms2 you get a strategic world map similar as in risk games, and must choose which country to fight first and what enemy and have some diplomacy too. and its all completely random generated. its higly replayable and non story driven, while there can be story events too or even story campaigns but with flexibel unscripted gameplay, you can have some battles extra but must do the historic main battles to complete the campaign, in RON exp i liked alexander the great campaign for instance.

hope in expansion, devs add a worldmap simliar as ron with this fantasy world. its more fun to look at a world map and make global decesions than just play through scripts with no replay value.

KingImp
05-22-2006, 07:40 AM
I have a question about something to do with the campaigns.

Is it ever explained why Agrael, an Inferno hero, is riding on a Dungeon's lizard?

Jolly-Joker
05-22-2006, 10:49 AM
Sure.

Tumorco1
05-22-2006, 12:58 PM
Only three things:

1-Nival said aaaaall the time that one strong point of this game would be the campaigns and the storyline... Nival lied???

2-Are Necros the villains??? Greaaaaat....

3-I like the "Risk" idea too, like in the "battle of middle earth 2".

Vicheron
05-22-2006, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by KingImp:
I have a question about something to do with the campaigns.

Is it ever explained why Agrael, an Inferno hero, is riding on a Dungeon's lizard?
Not really.

Hakuryu9999
05-22-2006, 02:16 PM
I liked the H3 campaigns the best, and have played through all of them and the expansion ones about 10x each.

Having hero's that carry over made succesive maps different each time you played them. One time you might have a warrior type and anothe time a caster.

I havent got H5 yet... I take it the hero's do not carry over in it?

Jolly-Joker
05-22-2006, 02:20 PM
They do.

Oakwarrior
05-22-2006, 02:23 PM
Sure.

They do.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

True that, JJ http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Jorgosch
05-22-2006, 05:24 PM
I've played 4 campaigns so far, and until now I liked the first 2 or 3 warlock missions best.