PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed: No demo for farcry2

Icecube1137
07-11-2008, 08:37 PM
http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/07/11/no-far-cry-2-de...ours-of-fun-for-you/ (http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/07/11/no-far-cry-2-demo-and-no-hours-of-fun-for-you/)

a quote from the article:

"Even if we were to give out what you played today - even if we put invisible walls around it and said, here's the demo, you can go anywhere you like inside these walls and play it how you want - that's potentially right there eight-to-ten hours of gameplay"

Hmm, makes sense to me. I actually like the fact that there is no demo, a demo is the perfect way to spoil a game for yourself before it is released IMO.

slayer_1970
07-11-2008, 10:12 PM
"For a game as complex and as ambitious as Far Cry 2, then, you can hardly blame them for drawing the line at providing a pre-release consumer demo."

Does anyone remember Crysis...huh? Well after the demo there were a lot of whiners and haters complaining about this and that. Sorry folks but I'm with the devs and Icecube1137 on this one. Give me the game in all its glory, perfection and ahem with no bugs.....I can wait for that....just my opinion.

adarwinter
07-12-2008, 02:59 AM
well im sorry, but i DO want a demo.
the PC crowd are a curious and pesimist crowd that need to know whether their machines could run it and how well. besides there are things u discover in a demo that can change your mind one way or the other.

example - the MOH:airborne demo showed me what was bad about the game, warning me from a bad purchase.
on the flip side crysis' demo showed me i CAN run and well on my machine, showing me it was worth the wait so i could buy it.
same with GRID - i was so unimpressed with that racing game but after trying the demo i saw that what was great about it was not the premise but the execution, so i bought that one too.

some things about the feel of the game, the AI, the possibilities within it can only be understood through a demo.

i remember the article zying that demos dont help sales as much as videos but if i have a demo i can buy a game right when it comes out. without a demo i need to start looking for reviews, gamer's opinion and forums to see if it lived up the hype. there are so many things in FC2 that can be awsome but every one of the can be messed up and done wrong. the amount of innovation equals the amount of risk in a game and there is a lot of risk in FC2. i need a demo to find out how good all these innovations are.
and to know how well it runs.

yeah, a demo can spoil a lil bit of the game, but than again - dont like it- dont try it. just buy it.

slayer_1970
07-12-2008, 10:21 AM
Buying a game without a demo is NOT buying blindly. There are ton of gameplay and feature videos to show you what you need to know and if thats not enough then wait for the reviews. The reviews will confirm whats real or not. You said it yourself....

without a demo i need to start looking for reviews, gamer's opinion and forums to see if it lived up the hype.

There no reason you have to buy the game the second its launched.

gyrocx
07-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by adarwinter:
the PC crowd are a curious and pesimist crowd that need to know whether their machines could run it and how well. besides there are things u discover in a demo that can change your mind one way or the other.

example - the MOH:airborne demo showed me what was bad about the game, warning me from a bad purchase.
on the flip side crysis' demo showed me i CAN run and well on my machine, showing me it was worth the wait so i could buy it.
same with GRID - i was so unimpressed with that racing game but after trying the demo i saw that what was great about it was not the premise but the execution, so i bought that one too.

some things about the feel of the game, the AI, the possibilities within it can only be understood through a demo.

i remember the article zying that demos dont help sales as much as videos but if i have a demo i can buy a game right when it comes out. without a demo i need to start looking for reviews, gamer's opinion and forums to see if it lived up the hype. there are so many things in FC2 that can be awsome but every one of the can be messed up and done wrong. the amount of innovation equals the amount of risk in a game and there is a lot of risk in FC2. i need a demo to find out how good all these innovations are.

yeah, a demo can spoil a lil bit of the game, but than again - dont like it- dont try it. just buy it.

I agree. Releasing a demo can only be a positive thing rather then negative. Video can only do so much for a game, one needs to "feel" it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Also, why not just release a timed trail version of the game that features the full game but timed gameplay(its been done before) and if we like it then we'll pay to have the full version unlocked. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

slayer_1970
07-12-2008, 11:05 AM
Also, why not just release a timed trail version of the game that features the full game but timed gameplay(its been done before) and if we like it then we'll pay to have the full version unlocked.

I believe Crackdown did that but still I'm happy to wait for the finished polished product.

Icecube1137
07-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by gyrocx:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by adarwinter:

I agree. Releasing a demo can only be a positive thing rather then negative. Video can only do so much for a game, one needs to "feel" it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Also, why not just release a timed trail version of the game that features the full game but timed gameplay(its been done before) and if we like it then we'll pay to have the full version unlocked. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can understand why you would want a demo if your going to buy this game for PC. but us console people are lucky http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif we can just rent the game if theres no demo

viiiper2006
07-13-2008, 05:28 AM
Demo or Not, 2 months down the line, we will know the truth and make the call then. Our local store usually has a copy of the latest PC games running on there in store PC's.

I personally don't care for the demo, games always have bugs, as long as the support is there, fast and furious.

viii

ComputerGamer07
07-14-2008, 06:36 AM
It's too bad there isn't going to be a demo for FarCry2. While I can understand how That some gamers here don't want one, personally, I do. Now, before anyone here takes this the wrong way, let me say that some sequels to games aren't as good as the orignnals;Case in point, Max Payne 2. That game(the sequel) was so hyped, it was almost comical, and it didn't do as well as it's predacessor. I'm sure that farcry 2 will be great, but ubisoft, give us a demo so we can try it out first before we buy. That's it from me, for now.

blade-bunny
07-14-2008, 02:22 PM
It's good in one way. Some ways bad too, but I think the good ones totally outdoes the bad ones.

adarwinter
07-14-2008, 02:31 PM
a demo can show ppl that what they thought would be great about the game isnt all that and than they wont buy. good for the customer, bad for the company. a demo can definatly hurt sales with a bad (or mediocre) game. with good games it helps sales.

however it seemslike UBI is believing in this game so much that they feel they dont need a demo to sell a game and the reviews of journalists and gamers will sell it well (aside for the videos).

and i envy console gamers for their ability to rent the game first. i dont know how much it coasts but its a great way to try a game! i would love to try it before i buy it.

Rakkoon
07-16-2008, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by Icecube1137:
I can understand why you would want a demo if your going to buy this game for PC. but us console people are lucky http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif we can just rent the game if theres no demo

Not everyone can do that. Unlike in other countries, here in Holland it's not allowed for companies to rent out games (except for old Nintendo and PS/PS2 games for whatever reason) so we're stuck having to buy games.
So for me, no demo = no buy.

potter_025
07-16-2008, 04:43 AM
It's true that having a Beta gives away hours of gameplay and turns into an arcade. You could play over and over just giving havoc.

Muhad
07-17-2008, 02:27 PM
Game must be crap then, otherwise why wouldn't they have some faith in its acceptance by the community.

Think about what happened to the Tom Clancy series of games.

riftvalley
07-17-2008, 02:50 PM
Working on demos does decrease the time they have to finetune the final game, however much time that may be.

Lordbelfast
07-18-2008, 11:23 PM
Since WHEN Ubisoft ever released a demo hmm? Neva!

Six_Gun
07-19-2008, 12:55 AM
"I don't know too many people who are willing to give away a 12-hour game for free." .....Do you feel the fun getting sucked out of the room?"

That has to be one of the most pompous, arrogant greedy statements I've ever heard a developer spew, esp considering he's really just talking about playing a small chunk of the game over and over again within invisible walls rather than actually giving away a sizable chunk of the game like he's trying to make it sound.

It's as if he's using this claim to try and make the game sound so compelling that we'd be fooled into thinking open endedness means running around the same spot of map for hours on end. Hocking needs to get over himself, literally.

The more profound statement was the reply about the fun getting sucked out of the room. I mean I can just see an interviewer sitting there red faced in silence not knowing how to respond after hearing such a ridiculously embarrassing gloat.

With comments like that, Ubi are setting themselves up for tons of piracy from would be customers whom not only are merely looking to see if their rigs can run the game as mentioned above, but are now insulted by accusations of being greedy just for wanting to know that buying the game won't mean an expensive upgrade. And trust me, If anyone cannot be trusted with their claimed requirement specs it's Ubi, so yeah, a demo is the only way to really know how your rig can run one of their games.

Right now there are PLENTY of other titles I'm thinking of and anticipating after hearing this uttering of deception and disrespect.

adarwinter
07-19-2008, 01:05 AM
i think what hoking said WAS an exaggeration but i understand how tough it is to make a demo for an open world game.

u cant put invisible walls because of 2 reasons:
1 - good hackers will crack the walls making them disappear and allow player to illegaly play on the rest of the world.
2 - require gamers to actually DL the entire game, almost. if the world map is actually complete (cuz u can see it almost entirely thanks to long view distances) than a 6GB demo will be a bit problematic.

what else can they do than?
cutting a piece of the world for a demo is really impossible. when u stand on a hill in the demo u would want to look around and see things in the distance, not huge walls with graffiti saying "sorry guys. vistas in full game only".
i cant remember a single open world game that had a demo. no Assassins Creed, not GTA, not Crackdown, not Saint's row, Not test drive: unlimited...
sorry. i cant.

hocking was BSing in the interview, but maybe he was just trying to avoid saying they can't do a demo because of technical reasons. overcoming these reasons would probably detract from the time they put into the full game.

i might be wrong, but that is MY assumption.

ZemogTorrents
07-19-2008, 07:15 AM
Can't they just give away ONE multiplayer map???

ZemogTorrents
07-19-2008, 07:17 AM
Or do like crackdown - have like a 30 minute trail

adarwinter
07-19-2008, 08:22 AM
a trial version is just as risky as one with invisible walls version. ppl will hack it and have the full game. not to mention it will be over 6 or even 10GB demo.

however i dont see a reason why not release 1 MP map for MP playing.

well, actually i CAN see one reason - the MP is not the focus of the game and it's not THAT great. they prefer to show off the SP part (for the hype) and not let you experience the relatively mediocre MP as it might be bad advertisement...

Six_Gun
07-19-2008, 02:27 PM
I don't get the feeling the emphasis was on saying it would be too hard to make a demo of this open world type game. After all he clearly stated ways it could be done and obviously they already had something like that to show the gameplay to others. When he ends by implying they'd be giving away a major 12 hour piece of game it's clear that greed and stinginess are what's motivating this decision. The ironic thing is he doesn't even realize some are going to take that as meaning even a small demo chunk would reveal too much of the game, making the game world sound less large than they're saying. Maybe they should come up with an animation of the protagonist healing a foot wound accompanied by the expression DOH!, because that's where they seem to be aiming here, rather than at the enemy.

slayer_1970
07-19-2008, 02:39 PM
When he ends by implying they'd be giving away a major 12 hour piece of game it's clear that greed and stinginess are what's motivating this decision.
Well maybe one might see it that way but one can also see those wanting the demo is driven by greed and getting something for nothing.I'm not saying that about you or anyone else but it can be seen that way. I will say I don't believe those who say they want the demo to see how well their rigs will run it. To me its obvious they just want to get an early chance to play a bit of it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Six_Gun
07-19-2008, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by unure:...one can also see those wanting the demo is driven by greed and getting something for nothing. Come now, do you really think those downloading such a demo would be content to wander around confined in one small part of the map for twleve hours as he describes let alone it being seen as wanting something for nothing? I think it's clear whom are the greedy ones here.

slayer_1970
07-19-2008, 11:42 PM
Regardless who is greedy its not necessary to have a demo to determine if one should or should not purchase a game. It would appear so far that obviously its not good business either otherwise they would have one. I don't believe they are worried about giving 12 hours of gameplay (as he said) out even if it really isn't 12 hours worth. Jeeez, everyone acts like this is the only game ever that has not had a consumer demo out prior to it's release.

Mt.Tomba
07-20-2008, 04:37 AM
I would at least like to see a benchmark of some sort for the game. A flythrough of a small area of the game or something. I'm a little apprehensive about the framerate, as some of the videos don't look too smooth, especially the part with the IED in the "Deceiving your enemies" video.

slayer_1970
07-20-2008, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by keithsprout:
I would at least like to see a benchmark of some sort for the game. A flythrough of a small area of the game or something. I'm a little apprehensive about the framerate, as some of the videos don't look too smooth, especially the part with the IED in the "Deceiving your enemies" video.

Actually I like that idea...kinda like Crysis had. That always reminded me of Futuremark.

adarwinter
07-20-2008, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by keithsprout:

i second that idea. it's actually something i didnt think of. i dont know how easily this can be done (making a benchmark) but it's a decent idea.

now regarding the demo they let journalists play - this wasnt a demo per se. it was the current build of the game and it was under UBI's supervision. it was probably just controlled session by UBI so journalists could experience the game on their own. no one could play it forever since UBI's representative wouldnt allow it and would say "im gonna have to stop u here as we are not showing this section of the game yet" etc etc.
i agree that what clint hocking said about them not wanting to give 12 hours of gameplay as somewhat of a PR mistake but this should be left aside for the time being since it's pretty obvious this was an exaggeration and its not the REAL reason why there is no demo.
showing 5% of a game in a demo is fine. MOH:A did a lot more than that (showed about 10% of the game) and EA never complained... not in public, anyways.

just let it be - there wont be a demo (Ever. i bet) and if u want to know how it runs on your PC than wait for other to try it out and hear responses or cross your fingers that a benchmark will appear, though i dount that.
if u wanna "feel" the game on your console than rent it or play it at a local gameing store, if that's possible...

Six_Gun
07-20-2008, 03:20 PM
The problem with the Crysis benchmark is it wasn't an accurate representation of how resource intense the entire game is , nor was the demo. I feel that is one of the primary reasons there was a lot of piracy despite a demo being released.

Even the short benchmark included in the game FEAR was a much better example of what settings you could use. I agree that the benchmark idea is good, as long as it's one that gives a good representation of how resource intense the entire game will be.

The problem is you rarely see a benchmark tool released separately from a game, unless it's well after release. That's why I've been advocating instead using a small chunk of the game for a demo like they've already shown.