PDA

View Full Version : Nerd Rage (stories)

triforceman5
06-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Guys, I'm sure it's happened to all of us at one point (I hope so - Or else I'll look like a moron. You hear someone mentioning/discussing AC, getting points wrong and getting things (names, etc.) completely incorrect.
And you just go completely insane.
So does anybody have any times where someone was just so off that you couldn't stand it?
Here's something that has happened to many times: People call Ezio "Enzio" or "Enzo".

SleezeRocker
06-07-2011, 05:27 PM
I find it funny when

-people pronounce Altair (Alta-Ear)as Altar (Alt-Er) lol

-people think "Da Fireneze" is Ezio's last name
Some say "Ezio da Firenze"

-People say Ezio as "Eatzio" (Eat-Z-O)

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bipolar Matt
06-07-2011, 06:41 PM
I nerd rage playing multiplayer with people who live on the rooftops, particuarly on the Venice map. That's not how the game is meant to be played.

I've learned strategies to counter them, however. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Zrvan
06-07-2011, 10:04 PM
IMHO, nerd rage happens when it's a matter of someone proceeding in ignorance of a fact that minimum 50% of the population doesn't know.

Calling Shakespeare great art = nerd rage
(in his own time, he was more like Adam Sandler)

Mispronouncing Ezio's name after hearing it 400 times = justified rage.

Then again, I know nothing at all about phonology. I once had occasion to use a word frequently that I made up myself -- Karxa. It's pronounced karks-sa, which seems phonetic to me. My one friend, however, who has no speech impediments, can't say it. He always pronounces it kare-iks-uh. Don't know why. He can't not do it.

My nerd rage is usually tempered by my understanding that people just don't care, and you can't make them. If someone were to start pronouncing a name wrong, and I wanted them to stop, I'd start pronouncing their name wrong when addressing them directly.

kriegerdesgottes
06-07-2011, 10:33 PM
That happens to me when someone makes a thread about how assassin's creed should be all desmond or in Japan. crap I just made myself angry

RzaRecta357
06-07-2011, 11:02 PM
I'll add people not understanding why Desmond sees Ezio in the villa when he's old.

fox_634
06-08-2011, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by kriegerdesgotte:
That happens to me when someone makes a thread about how assassin's creed should be all desmond or in Japan. crap I just made myself angry

I couldn't agree with you more!

triforceman5
06-08-2011, 05:23 AM
I hate it when Try-Hards played Brotherhood once, and then say that they are huge fans of the series, but they say that after saying a few completely incorrect things about the series.

Assassin_M
06-08-2011, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by SleezeRocker:
I find it funny when

here is a surprise The right pronounciation for His Name is Al-Ta-Er not Al-Ta-Ear

Idiot: when Desmoooooon goes back in time.....
Me: ahhhhhhhhh its not a time MACHINE!!!!!!

or

Idiot: THE LUCY FINGEEEEEEEEER
Me: SHE just BENT it.

or

Idiot: Ezio`s father...
me: Giovanni ?
Idiot: No Altair
Me: "snort"

or

Idiot: how can a son kill his Father ?
Me: you mean cesare and rodrigo ?yea he was mad and ....
Idiot: who is Cesare, I was talking about Almualim and ALtair.

and finally the worst Ezio joke

Idiot: E---ZIO ??? "its you ?"
Me: whoa ??????
Idiot:no E----ZMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE "its me"

Little stuff like that

dxsxhxcx
06-08-2011, 06:56 AM
[SPOILERS]
[SPOILERS]
[SPOILERS]

when someone ask why Desmond "killed" the "blonde girl*" (Lucy) in the end of Brotherhood, they don't even realize he was being controlled by Juno, they just look for a reason why Desmond did this because they (Desmond and Lucy) were friends before...

people saying ACB is AC3... :P

people saying Ezio already had the son who would be Desmond ancestor...

tjbyrum1
06-08-2011, 07:04 AM
That's not nerd rage. That's just you having more knowledge of the subject than the other people, and you're simply correcting their mistakes.

Besides, generally all the people I know who have this game know everything about it.

gsosolidk
06-08-2011, 07:12 AM
LOL I love AssassinM's stories :L I've actually had some people do the EXACT same thing to me?!

And RzaRekta, wow. I just remembered that now. Why does he see him in the villa wen he's old? :s

And I once had someone say to me
"I think James Bond would own Ezio"

No. Just no.

Super_Sausage
06-08-2011, 11:17 AM
I still don't get this finger thing. I understand why people say she bent it, but surely Deamond would notice from such a close range.
And it's Alta¤r so the last sound is an ear/eer sound, not an er, whoever said that.

Most of my nerd rage is spent on the Internet because most of my friends know a lot-ish about AC (nit as much as I) so I dint argue much about it with them.

AMuppetMatt
06-08-2011, 11:37 AM
He knows she bent it surely... he just took it as a sign? Or am I completely misunderstanding what you're saying there...

PhiIs1618033
06-08-2011, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Super_Sausage:
I still don't get this finger thing. I understand why people say she bent it, but surely Deamond would notice from such a close range.
And it's Alta¤r so the last sound is an ear/eer sound, not an er, whoever said that.

List to the game, first memory block as Alta´r returns to Masyaf. Listen to how Raouf pronounces the name 'Alta´r' (Raouf is the guy standing in the fortress entrance). However, Al Mualim and Malik pronounce it differently. Unless we have someone who can speak Arabic, there's no way of knowing which is the right one. Also, Kaddar. Altair pronounces it differently from Malik.

mojsarn
06-08-2011, 12:05 PM
When the guy at Gametrailers were mad at the "flamethrower" in the Revelations trailer, he didnt think it was accurate. Ignorant man.....

Super_Sausage
06-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by PhiIs1618033...:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Super_Sausage:

List to the game, first memory block as Alta´r returns to Masyaf. Listen to how Raouf pronounces the name 'Alta´r' (Raouf is the guy standing in the fortress entrance). However, Al Mualim and Malik pronounce it differently. Unless we have someone who can speak Arabic, there's no way of knowing which is the right one. Also, Kaddar. Altair pronounces it differently from Malik. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am half Persian and although I can't claim to speak much Arabic, Farsi and Arabic are similarish, and Al-tah-eer sounds more middle eastern to me. These languages pronounce a like a kind of mix of a and o - it's hard to explain it but you can probably figure out what I mean - so it won't be an a as pronounced in English. Sort of All-tah-eer but not quite. It is hard to write down how I hear it.

ScytheOfGrim
06-08-2011, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by PhiIs1618033...:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Super_Sausage:

List to the game, first memory block as Alta´r returns to Masyaf. Listen to how Raouf pronounces the name 'Alta´r' (Raouf is the guy standing in the fortress entrance). However, Al Mualim and Malik pronounce it differently. Unless we have someone who can speak Arabic, there's no way of knowing which is the right one. Also, Kaddar. Altair pronounces it differently from Malik. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Assassin_M is right.

His name is pronounced "Al-ta-ir".

There is no such word as "Al-ta-eer'.

And, if I'm remembering right, then his name is really pronounced "Qad-dar".

Super_Sausage
06-08-2011, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by ScytheOfGrim:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhiIs1618033...:

Assassin_M is right.

His name is pronounced "Al-ta-ir".

There is no such word as "Al-ta-eer'.

And, if I'm remembering right, then his name is really pronounced "Qad-dar". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe you are right but I cannot hear ir as being the end of that name when said by a middle eastern person. It just isn't how they speak. Perhaps it is just the way they (and I could be saying we here) pronounce i, but to our ears when an Arab/middle eastern person says it I'm sure it would sound like eer, although not exactly like that. And as for the Qad-dar pronunciation, it depends on how it has been translated into to Latin alphabet I suppose, and this could also be correct.
I also think we put to much emphasis on all the sounds. Probably just because we are trying to say it correctly but it probably sounds different when said more flowingly, making it harder to pick out the sounds. Even in the game they draw and stretch out the name so we don't hear it properly. But I may also be wrong here.

SleezeRocker
06-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by dxsxhxcx:

I'll LOL to that XD

FYI: some people in my college that are talking about ACR, im sitting (blending) at the benches and (pressing triangle/Y xbox) to overhear their chatter, and they say:

Guy1 "Hey dawg! Have ya heard of AC4!? It's called Revelations, it's awesome dawg! Fo realz!"
Guy 2 "AC4 is coming? Dam! I haven't even played AC3 Brotherhood yet hahaha!"
Chick "Um...I odn't think it's AC4..Brotherhood and this new one aren't numbered, besides I think these seem more like side stories of AC2?"
Guy1" Nah ya don't know how it iz haha!"

Me- *Seeks approval from Master assassins @ ubisoft to assassinate Guy 1 and 2, and promote the girl to Brotherhood* lol

ScytheOfGrim
06-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Maybe you are right but I cannot hear ir as being the end of that name when said by a middle eastern person. It just isn't how they speak. Perhaps it is just the way they (and I could be saying we here) pronounce i, but to our ears when an Arab/middle eastern person says it I'm sure it would sound like eer, although not exactly like that. And as for the Qad-dar pronunciation, it depends on how it has been translated into to Latin alphabet I suppose, and this could also be correct.
I also think we put to much emphasis on all the sounds. Probably just because we are trying to say it correctly but it probably sounds different when said more flowingly, making it harder to pick out the sounds. Even in the game they draw and stretch out the name so we don't hear it properly. But I may also be wrong here.

I am an Arab. Arabic is my first language.

Assassin_M
06-08-2011, 01:45 PM

Most of my nerd rage is spent on the Internet because most of my friends know a lot-ish about AC (nit as much as I) so I dint argue much about it with them.
Dude im arab so I know how its pronounced, its not even ALtair, due to arabic grammar it should be Ataer.

Super_Sausage
06-08-2011, 01:49 PM
I do apologise for doubting your knowledge ScytheofGrim and Assassin_M. As I said I do not know much about Arabic, but was basing my opinion on Iran and Farsi, of which I do know some bit because as I said I'm half Iranian, and there are similarities between the two and if course differences too. And as I thought the translation to Latin alphabet was a bit off. I'll try to pronounce it as intended in Arabic but I suppose it's a bit tomato tomato (you'll have to imagine the different pronunciations).

By the way SleezeRocker, a chik with knowledge about AC sounds hot!!

Assassin_M
06-08-2011, 02:36 PM
I do apologise for doubting your knowledge ScytheofGrim and Assassin_M. As I said I do not know much about Arabic, but was basing my opinion on Iran and Farsi, of which I do know some bit because as I said I'm half Iranian, and there are similarities between the two and if course differences too. And as I thought the translation to Latin alphabet was a bit off. I'll try to pronounce it as intended in Arabic but I suppose it's a bit tomato tomato (you'll have to imagine the different pronunciations).

I really respect your showing of Apology, I dont see much of it really these days

Super_Sausage
06-08-2011, 02:47 PM
@Assassin_M No problem mate http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif . I always try to make sure I get things right because I would feel like a hypocrite if I didn't - I have yet to meet a Brit who can pronounce my surname correctly without me correcting them at least two times, and I have a simple name compared to some Farsi names. So I always make an effort.

SleezeRocker
06-08-2011, 03:44 PM

Actually she wasn't too bad looking haha http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

masterfenix2009
06-08-2011, 03:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dxsxhxcx:

I'll LOL to that XD

FYI: some people in my college that are talking about ACR, im sitting (blending) at the benches and (pressing triangle/Y xbox) to overhear their chatter, and they say:

Guy1 "Hey dawg! Have ya heard of AC4!? It's called Revelations, it's awesome dawg! Fo realz!"
Chick "Um...I odn't think it's AC4..Brotherhood and this new one aren't numbered, besides I think these seem more like side stories of AC2?"

Me- *Seeks approval from Master assassins @ ubisoft to assassinate Guy 1 and 2, and promote the girl to Brotherhood* lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I am a messenger. Permission granted.

SleezeRocker
06-08-2011, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by assassino151:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SleezeRocker:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dxsxhxcx:

I'll LOL to that XD

Me- *Seeks approval from Master assassins @ ubisoft to assassinate Guy 1 and 2, and promote the girl to Brotherhood* lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I am a messenger. Permission granted. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gracias! *Relays messenger pigeon back to assassino151*
*insert Access the Animus/AC1 chase song* LOL

daniel_gervide
06-08-2011, 04:01 PM
I find it funny when

well, i'm not sure but i think it italian Z is read as TZ so EZIO is read as ETZIO

SleezeRocker
06-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by daniel_gervide:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SleezeRocker:
I find it funny when

well, i'm not sure but i think it italian Z is read as TZ so EZIO is read as ETZIO </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know if you get what I mean (hard to "pronounce" in text)
but im trying to say is some people say Ezio as like "Eat/Eet" (like when you chew and swallow food) and add: Z-O..unless im missing what you're trying to tell me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Sheer-Fury
06-08-2011, 04:23 PM
I was showing the brand new trailer for Revelations to a friend of mine who shares a similar passion for the Assassin's Creed series, and another one of my friends walks up behind us, points directly at Ezio, and asks who it is. I would let it go if he had not played any of the games, but he has everything from AC1 to Brotherhood, so there was no mercy shown.