PDA

View Full Version : does anybody else dislike the new cover design for smash up?

DOS_Turtle
07-30-2009, 11:24 AM
i sometimes don't get it.

movies have great poster and then they are released with a not-so-good-looking DVD-cover.

and now this. there was this cover
http://media.strategywiki.org/images/thumb/8/8d/TMNT_Smash_Up_wii_cover.jpg/250px-TMNT_Smash_Up_wii_cover.jpg
going around. i really liked it, looks cool.

well, now that old one disappeared and we have this one:
http://www.wiisworld.com/images/boxpics/wii/big/TMNT-Smash-Up-US.jpg

does anybody like it? i think all the characters - including raph - look a bit weird and the coolness of the old cover design is completely gone.

i know the font has changed, but that one can be pasted into the old design.

can't you bring the old cover back @ubisoft?
please!

DOS_Turtle
07-30-2009, 11:24 AM
i sometimes don't get it.

movies have great poster and then they are released with a not-so-good-looking DVD-cover.

and now this. there was this cover
http://media.strategywiki.org/images/thumb/8/8d/TMNT_Smash_Up_wii_cover.jpg/250px-TMNT_Smash_Up_wii_cover.jpg
going around. i really liked it, looks cool.

well, now that old one disappeared and we have this one:
http://www.wiisworld.com/images/boxpics/wii/big/TMNT-Smash-Up-US.jpg

does anybody like it? i think all the characters - including raph - look a bit weird and the coolness of the old cover design is completely gone.

i know the font has changed, but that one can be pasted into the old design.

can't you bring the old cover back @ubisoft?
please!

jake_manutd
07-30-2009, 11:28 AM
The old one which shows all four of the turtles as the main features on it.

shajita
07-30-2009, 12:02 PM
I hate both of them.
The first one looks more like something made in photoshop, with no real details to make it stand out.
The second one is deffinitely better but is missing 3 of the 4 turtles, and the one that is on the cover have pupils, while in-game he doesn't.

DOS_Turtle
07-30-2009, 12:10 PM
what would the first one make seeming to be made in photoshop? after all they're 3D. not many effects or background, but is that always necessary? i am a graphic designer and there exists the always good credo "form follows function". ergo: take four turtles, make them look bad and out for a brawl and you have a cool cover design.

all the arguments (which were negative) you said about the second one don't really help the new one being the better one.

the most important of your arguments is that the rest of the turtles is missing.

shinigamihedge
07-30-2009, 12:25 PM
My main issue with the new cover is that it looks kinda similar to Brawl's.

Same word in the title is ok.

Similar gameplay mechanics... ok..

Similar cover... Now HOLD ON!

I liked the first cover a bit more. Looks less kiddy. Besides... April ruins the second cover. I just hate that disproportionate CGI model so much...

And why is Raph so important that he takes the main focus of the cover? It's like Luigi being there instead of Mario! This is just an opinion, though. Leo, as leader of the turtles deserves to be there, OR stick with the old cover with four turtles, and I'm game.

quino711
07-30-2009, 12:31 PM
I didnt vote for any of these covers i think they can do it a lot better, like having all the good guys ( at least the 4 turtles) fighting against the bad guys ( shredder, utrominator and foot ninja)
just a thought

DOS_Turtle
07-30-2009, 12:48 PM
@shinigamihedge:
less kiddy is exactly the point.

they said "turtle fans are hardcore" and stuff in the videos. well so why give hardcore tmnt-fans a kiddy cover? i don't really get the point, ubisoft.

@quino711:
yes, a cover with the good against the bad guys would also be good. but i wouldn't prefer it looking at the first cover design. mostly because i think most people are going to play as turtles, their favourit turtle of course. so this way the strength of the player's favourit turtle has to prove against his brothers. which cover would be better fitting than the first, old cover design?

TurtleFreak
07-30-2009, 01:12 PM
Newer version of the new cover with more characters:
http://www.aussie-nintendo.com/images/NEWS2/media_tmntsmashupeurboxsmall.jpg

Yes, it's the PAL cover, but the NTSC cover is the same, and this is the best picture I could find. They were using this version at Comic Con for the blue-screen photos people were taking.

quino711
07-30-2009, 01:13 PM
@DOS_Tutle :
the cover cant be totally "hardore" because there are also looking for the young fans. I think the cover has to have a mixture between both of this or something neutral that anyone can look an say : "thats awesome"
having bad and good guys might help people that dont really know much about the game, maybe they should put something really random like shredder attacking leonardo but also having another turle attacking leonardo or shredder..
it would be better than just having a brawllike cover haha

boorang
07-30-2009, 01:15 PM
The new one just looks doofy. And why is Raph presented like he's the main character?

CrankWhiteYeti
07-30-2009, 01:19 PM
hmm the old one iss better but then again that new one is kinda cool (greenish cover one)
i think they are trying to go for a brawlish feel to the cover. before it only had two people on it :\

ok nvm i see the four turtles now. but they arent that noticable. im still going to buy this no matter what cover goes on it. OH maybe itll be reversable like the c&c 3 game XD that would be cool :P

shajita
07-30-2009, 03:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DOS_Turtle:
what would the first one make seeming to be made in photoshop? after all they're 3D. not many effects or background, but is that always necessary? i am a graphic designer and there exists the always good credo "form follows function". ergo: take four turtles, make them look bad and out for a brawl and you have a cool cover design.

all the arguments (which were negative) you said about the second one don't really help the new one being the better one.

the most important of your arguments is that the rest of the turtles is missing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the first one looked like it was photoshopped because it looks like promotional art for the latest TMNT movie thrown into a Wii cover. It's not helped by the fact that Leo and Raph takes up most of the space while Mikey and Don was thrown into the middle just to be there.

The second one has more color, has more characters (especially the updated version) and is handrawn. It just looks better in my opinion.
I still don't like either though. As somebody said, I would've prefered a boxart where it was good vs. evil.

DOS_Turtle
07-30-2009, 03:57 PM
as i said, form follows function. more color doesn't mean good. but that is a matter of taste i would say.

i like the newer, above posted version better than the first design of the second version (sounds complicated ^^). but i still don't like it too much. i as a person who works with his eyes for other eyes can't understand how poeple think this will attrack people. i think only kids and the parents of kids will be attrackted to something like the recent design of the smash up cover. if that's what their aiming for ...

reminds me of the dvd cover of the CGI movie wich was horrible in my opinion, here goes:
http://www.flixray.com/dvd_covers/200708/44607.jpg

i mean mikey on a skateboard and raph holding a peace of pizza in his hand while fighting! OMG!

when the dvd came out i bought it, sat on my computer after i saw the cover and printed my own version of the cover and put it into my case:
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/8481/tmntcover2.jpg

Jingoku
07-30-2009, 04:38 PM
I prefer the old one. Simply because Raph looks creepy as hell.

What I'd prefer as a cover would be this though.

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/7378/95701820090602screen012.jpg (http://img158.imageshack.us/i/95701820090602screen012.jpg/)

SNTB1988
07-30-2009, 04:43 PM
y must you guys tear down Raph for being on the cover? they wanted to show more of the playable characters on the cover and because the turtles are the main characters they wanted one of them to be on the main cover and they chose Raph. its really no big deal. However i hope the cover that turtlefreak found ends up being the new cover since it has all the turtles in it

shajita
07-30-2009, 05:19 PM
DOS_Turtle.
Yeah, I can deffinitely see what you mean by it's kiddy. Then again, the turtles have always been considered kiddy, which is strange considering how most of their fans is up in the 20's and how dark the original comic book and new TV show are.
I think the boxart is meant to appeal to kids and moms. Let's face it, grown ups would never judge a game by it's boxart alone. Kids on the other hand, would. So from a marketing standpoint does it make more sense to have a boxart that appeals to kids.

On a completly different note, Raph fighting with a piece of pizza? What the...?

shinigamihedge
07-30-2009, 06:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shajita:
DOS_Turtle.
Yeah, I can deffinitely see what you mean by it's kiddy. Then again, the turtles have always been considered kiddy, which is strange considering how most of their fans is up in the 20's and how dark the original comic book and new TV show are.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, the original comic was aimed for adults.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
I think the boxart is meant to appeal to kids and moms. Let's face it, grown ups would never judge a game by it's boxart alone. Kids on the other hand, would. So from a marketing standpoint does it make more sense to have a boxart that appeals to kids. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Grown ups do look at box art. Kids judge how good a game will be because of it. But Grown Ups judge the content.

If they put the Comics turtles with blood-soaked blades, the game will most likely not sell to kids at all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
On a completly different note, Raph fighting with a piece of pizza? What the...? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey... growing up with the 80's cartoon, that's a real common sight to me, you know. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

ksu_fan20
07-30-2009, 07:23 PM
The first one is pretty good, I think.

I don't like the second one. Why the heck is Raphael on the front when Leonardo is the leader? That's a slap in the face to all turtle fans, I think.

KingDedede16
07-30-2009, 07:48 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gifI think the old one is better. But you know, I wouldn't care if the box art kept getting worse--I'll be playing the game, not staring at the box cover art.

shinigamihedge
07-30-2009, 07:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KingDedede16:
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gifI think the old one is better. But you know, I wouldn't care if the box art kept getting worse--I'll be playing the game, not staring at the box cover art. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha exactly what I was going to say.

Once the disc is inside the console, I won't give a hoot about the boxart. XD

I'm rather concerned about the actual content of the game.

Kooichi-kun
07-30-2009, 08:20 PM
I originally hated the new one since it had like no characters but once I saw the updated PAL version, I like it better now :] Not the best boxart but eh, who cares? xD And like someone else said, the very first one looks like it was done on photoshop.

Timothy2035
07-30-2009, 11:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TurtleFreak:
Newer version of the new cover with more characters:
http://www.aussie-nintendo.com/images/NEWS2/media_tmntsmashupeurboxsmall.jpg

Yes, it's the PAL cover, but the NTSC cover is the same, and this is the best picture I could find. They were using this version at Comic Con for the blue-screen photos people were taking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I like this version the best. I can see why maybe they would change the first one. To see the 4 turtles wanting to fight each other like that sort of takes away from their usual marketing. The revised one gives it a less distracting picture. Though this new one you posted looks better and is busier.

shajita
07-31-2009, 03:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shinigamihedge:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shajita:
DOS_Turtle.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, the original comic was aimed for adults. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I'm talking about.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shinigamihedge:
I think the boxart is meant to appeal to kids and moms. Let's face it, grown ups would never judge a game by it's boxart alone. Kids on the other hand, would. So from a marketing standpoint does it make more sense to have a boxart that appeals to kids. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Grown ups do look at box art. Kids judge how good a game will be because of it. But Grown Ups judge the content.

If they put the Comics turtles with blood-soaked blades, the game will most likely not sell to kids at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Adults actual judge by the cover? I thought these days they would go online and do some research before spending their hard earned money on games.
On a completly different note, Raph fighting with a piece of pizza? What the...? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey... growing up with the 80's cartoon, that's a real common sight to me, you know. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I know they ate pizza constantly in the old show. But in the movie, they didn't mentioned it once, and there was only one scene where they ate pizza. So, putting a piece of pizza on the boxart is... strange.

DOS_Turtle
07-31-2009, 10:28 AM

Adults actual judge by the cover? I thought these days they would go online and do some research before spending their hard earned money on games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i think you misunderstood the guy.

my opinion is that he looks at it like me, which is the following:
i don't judge a game buy it's cover. anyway, it still is important to me that the developers take enough effort creating a cover that makes me want to play or buy the game even more. you know, when i haven't played it for a while e. g., then i look around, find the case and say "yeah, makes me wanna play it right now!"

i'm a visual (not to be mistaken for superficial http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ) guy and i want a good looking cover in my shelf. the newest cover design does not fullfill that. it looks like a smash bros. cover, but worse. all of that would not be thaaaat bad, but hey! they already had a (in my opinion) better one!!! i still have to say, i don't get it @ubisoft.

FalconSuxNBrawl
07-31-2009, 11:43 AM
There is a lot of cool, nice looking concept art out for the game.

The new cover looks off though.

Kooichi-kun
07-31-2009, 12:03 PM
The old one is too dark, simple, and just plain boring. There is barely any color and it only shows the four turtles. Go back and check out a lot of different fighting game covers and you'll notice that most of them have one thing in common: Many of the fighters take up space on the box. The new boxart is colorful, full of life, 10 of the characters are on the box, and, in my opinion, looks really cool~ :]

DOS_Turtle
07-31-2009, 01:22 PM
they say you can't argue about taste, so uh well @kooichi-kun ^^

@FalconSuxNBrawl:
yup, that's what i thought as well. there are some really nice pictures, like the one with shredder and leonardo, raph and leo and others. they look fantastic, but the box art doesn't. the internet is a fast living place and these great pictures will be forgotten much quicker than this really ugly cover design which will remain in the shelves of all the TMNT fans.

i have to say one thing about the color @kooichi-kun: you wouldn't have been that happy with the original comic which was in black and white, hu? ^^ i don't know why color would be that important. looked quite mysterious with the shadows and the light in the background (and didn't look to me - as a graphic designer - like cheap photoshop work).

furthermore the old cover design reminded me a lot more of when the turtles started because of the white eyes and the angry teeth look.

TurtleFreak
07-31-2009, 01:52 PM
Speaking of colors... The second and third covers may have more colors, but the first cover has richer colors. It has deep blues, greens, and reds that make the characters and logo stand out much better. The colors on the second cover are very flat. I especially don't like the grey/silver sky. The colors on the third cover are incorrect; it will not be that green and rich. Look up any of the photos people took while at Comic Con if you don't believe me. Anyway, just thought I'd post my thoughts on the colors since they were being discussed.

Also, I like the logo on the first cover much better than the second and third covers. The second logo is more like the classic cartoon, but I like the first logo better because it's fresher and more "video-gamey"; and as I said already, I like the colors on the first logo better. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DOS_Turtle
07-31-2009, 02:01 PM
sad thing is:
this is the official forum directly from ubisoft, but they won't stop by and even if they do they won't bother. it's probably already in production (talking about the cover, not the game).

i mean look at the poll, most people prefer the old design. but ubisoft won't bother at all. makes me sad http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

@TurtleFreak:
i agree that the colors look fresher on the first one, just like the design. the new cover in common just looks like something "old". not up to date. if that is what they want to communicate, well ...

Kooichi-kun
07-31-2009, 02:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DOS_Turtle:
i have to say one thing about the color @kooichi-kun: you wouldn't have been that happy with the original comic which was in black and white, hu? ^^ i don't know why color would be that important. looked quite mysterious with the shadows and the light in the background (and didn't look to me - as a graphic designer - like cheap photoshop work).

furthermore the old cover design reminded me a lot more of when the turtles started because of the white eyes and the angry teeth look. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oi oi, we're talking about video game covers not comic books xD Off-topic: I'm a frequent manga reader so I'm used to black and white. Anyways, the reason it looked photoshopped is because how simple the cover is. All they did was take an existing concept art from the game and turn into a box-art. Something I could easily do with photoshop. It's bland.

While I do agree that the first one looks better in terms of how the color blends in, for a fighting game the second cover just works waaaay better. Like I said, many of the characters are represented and it's full of life. I think it represents the TMNT Anniversary well.
Dark Atmosphere-Comics
Logo-80s
Colorful Character deigns-CGI/03

Also, I don't see how that's "sad" in anyway xD I mean it's a box-art, why does it really matter? I'd focus the box-art to appeal to kids since they're not the ones hyping the games on forums and various websites. Most Teens and Adults just need to know that it's "TMNT" then read the back to see what it's all about it. Seems like common sense to me :B I mean really, who here is not going to buy the game cause the cover art is "icky"? xD

CrankWhiteYeti
07-31-2009, 04:53 PM
idc about how the boxart is actually. asd long as the game is good then ill be happy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
i just like to keep the instruction booklet for some reason. so hopefully that looks kinda cool :P

EDIT: btw wwoot i made this 3 pages XD

DOS_Turtle
07-31-2009, 05:01 PM
@Kooichi-kun:
as i said, i don't judge this game by its cover. i won't say "i'm not gonna buy it because the cover is ugly".

but it still is important to me. i'm sure i am not the only one caring for covers, from DVDs or games. it is something that has to speak to me. as i said in the first post of this thread, i always can't believe it when a movie has a great poster hanging all over the cinemas and then it comes out on DVD with something ugly put together. it's a matter of choice and taste that makes me question the creator's taste. just like now ubisoft's choice to drop that cool design and replace it with a goofy one.

the cover sure isn't something of the most important parts of the game for me. but it will be in my shelf and it will be lying next to my console. do you care for how your room looks? i do ^^

FalconSuxNBrawl
07-31-2009, 06:03 PM
I don't have a problem with the new cover's layout, it's just that the characters look strange especially Raph. Shredder also has his bare arm exposed. Isn't that part actually covered in the show?

tmntsmashup
08-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Why is the ******bag Raph the main Turtle on the cover?

DOS_Turtle
08-02-2009, 06:00 AM
i don't totally understand why that is the main problem for some poeple ^^

i think many would agree that he always has been sort of the secret main character through his "lonestar" type of character. furthermore, he is the only turtle wearing the original bandana color from the comics which makes him more sympathic to me.

TurtleFreak
08-02-2009, 11:30 AM
Raph's the most showcased turtle for the same reason that X-men has now become Wolverine and friends: people (teenagers especially) like the angry, tough guy, loner type characters because they are the heroes of puberty. They take the emotional rollercoaster and turn it into badassery fuel. I'm not saying that's the only reason people like him, but he does especially appeal to that crowd, and that's why he gets a lot of attention in marketing.

lunablade123
08-07-2009, 01:12 AM
The thing is, I don't mind Raph being on the cover at all, in fact most people like him because of his hotheadedness, but the game is based on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle"s"

So having all the characters on the cover seems better and maybe even Shredder cause he's their 'Arch - Nemesis'

Plus - the old one looks cooler too http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif