PDA

View Full Version : We Need Another Tourney!!!

gW-PwN_McPimp
11-09-2004, 02:16 AM
Topic says it all. New players have emerged, and old have returned. People have gotten better, as some have gotten worse (such as myself). I think a new tournament is just what we need. I can care less about prizes, we just need to have one for fun. Would be great if someone could even make a site dedicated to it, hell we could even have weekly tournaments. Anything to help spice up the game would be great, and I'm sure you all feel the same.

scworld
11-09-2004, 04:17 AM
there is a site, look for it in M4_007's sig.

C.A.T.ops
11-09-2004, 07:23 AM
Or, just go here.

http://ww2.foolgamers.com:82/viewforum.php?f=4

SITHDUKE
11-09-2004, 08:24 AM
This isn't the first time you've posted a thread like this. Have they ever worked?

avengera
11-09-2004, 09:50 AM
Well atleast now there is a site for the thing. Unfortunately I think its not finished yet, and needs more subscribers. But thanks for the hard work that M4 and Akbari has done for it.

Spekkio9
11-09-2004, 10:24 AM
And let me predict the top places in the tournament:

1. Harkoninvsc/Shadowkillavsc
2. Cookiecrisp.ck/Total.ck
3. Raisinbran.ck/whichever one tinweasele is
4-6: other members from .ck in some random order

Barring a huge upset, this is probably gonna be the final stats. So why even bother?

redskirts
11-09-2004, 10:46 AM
oh i beg to differ on that one. I would have to go Lo and Tin, Book and Dumunk, Shadow/Hark, Reefer/Humanzi, Merc_vice/SPy_vice, Gorilla/colevant, Noobee1/Noobee2.....hehe

Really though i think it would be fun just to see what would happen. How did the last tourney run? Best out of three maps or something? I wasn't even a spec on the map in those days.

BigSlim_UK
11-09-2004, 12:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gW-PwN_McPimp:
Topic says it all. New players have emerged, and old have returned. People have gotten better, as some have gotten worse (such as myself). I think a new tournament is just what we need. I can care less about prizes, we just need to have one for fun. Would be great if someone could even make a site dedicated to it, hell we could even have weekly tournaments. Anything to help spice up the game would be great, and I'm sure you all feel the same. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dont set M4 off again please, we just calmed him down about his Tournament/league http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

DrCactus
11-09-2004, 02:11 PM
I find it funny how this "league" is almost taking off. Good work there M4 and Akbari. Though, it's not exactly what I envisioned but it's coming along. My ideas always work in theory, I just never go along with them. I get others to do it.

HarkoninVSC
11-09-2004, 02:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>oh i beg to differ on that one. I would have to go Lo and Tin, Book and Dumunk, Shadow/Hark, Reefer/Humanzi, Merc_vice/SPy_vice, Gorilla/colevant, Noobee1/Noobee2.....hehe

Really though i think it would be fun just to see what would happen. How did the last tourney run? Best out of three maps or something? I wasn't even a spec on the map in those days. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok first of all your first 4 people are all on the same team.

Second Booky and Dumunky are the same person.

Third your last 6 players are less than noteworthy, especially the vices boys and gorilla theres actually a few threads where we joke about how bad they really are.

I would predict top contenders at this moment would be (not necessarily in this order)-

VSC

ck.

SaS.

Dfa.

redskirts
11-09-2004, 03:37 PM
Hark, I was under the impression that a "team" for the tourney would be two players not a clan per se.

So i put together the "teams" that i have played (besides you and shadow, haven't had the pleasure of losing to you guys yet). The top teams imo; i.e. lochang & tin, booky & dumunky (daedalus), you & shadow, reefer & humanzi were for real.

The rest from that point on was a joke because i know the vices and gorilla threads are all over, hence the noobee1/noobee2 team that doesn't exist to my knowledge.

Also, i am sorry but, i believe that it went Dumunky = Daedalus = Total. And Booky was booky = theangrydragon = cookiecrisp with a bunch in between. Booky can you verify that one? If i am wrong i apologize all the names in my head confuse me.....get out of my head ARGHHH!!

OsT-Ammu
11-09-2004, 03:38 PM
yeah what a challange a tornament in a already dead game yay........

m4_007
11-09-2004, 03:41 PM
Here i post .. See my Sig

Amn-23
11-09-2004, 03:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HarkoninVSC:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>oh i beg to differ on that one. I would have to go Lo and Tin, Book and Dumunk, Shadow/Hark, Reefer/Humanzi, Merc_vice/SPy_vice, Gorilla/colevant, Noobee1/Noobee2.....hehe

Really though i think it would be fun just to see what would happen. How did the last tourney run? Best out of three maps or something? I wasn't even a spec on the map in those days. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok first of all your first 4 people are all on the same team.

Second Booky and Dumunky are the same person.

Third your last 6 players are less than noteworthy, especially the vices boys and gorilla theres actually a few threads where we joke about how bad they really are.

I would predict top contenders at this moment would be (not necessarily in this order)-

VSC

ck.

SaS.

Dfa. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

agreed lol woo! go dfa.. probly wudnt be playing tho if only 2 were aloowed form each clan.

HarkoninVSC
11-09-2004, 04:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Also, i am sorry but, i believe that it went Dumunky = Daedalus = Total. And Booky was booky = theangrydragon = cookiecrisp with a bunch in between. Booky can you verify that one? If i am wrong i apologize all the names in my head confuse me.....get out of my head ARGHHH!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Booky - BookyVSC - TheAngryDragon -Dumunky

Daedalus - TeabagSundae

HarkoninVSC
11-09-2004, 04:08 PM
What sort of prize can the UPCC offer for tournament winners?

Amn-23
11-09-2004, 04:15 PM
lol<span class="ev_code_YELLOW"> 80 pence sterling if you dial for free* 09992 88374 298 and we will send you*** this absoulutly free**</span>

<span class="ev_code_BROWN">*free acutlly means 20pound sterling per minuite wiht a subscription charge of 100pounds sterling

**postage and packaging not included

***we wont actully send this item to you atall.</span>

lochang19
11-09-2004, 04:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HarkoninVSC:

Booky - BookyVSC - TheAngryDragon -Dumunky

Daedalus - TeabagSundae <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, Redskirts is correct, TeabagSundae was Bo0ky, since on Xfire Dumunky is now Total.Ck, who WAS Daedalus. Unless they switch names...but I don't think so...

m4_007
11-09-2004, 04:31 PM
Erm .. wasent this all about fun ? If you guys need prizes to play .. Il try to find some commandits

CookieCrisp-Ck
11-09-2004, 04:34 PM
let me help clear this up please....
LOL wow that was interesting to read

My names include Bo0kYVSC - Bo0kY - Teabagsundae

Daedalus = Dumunky = Total

HarkoninVSC
11-09-2004, 04:53 PM
Lol but it was fun confusing everybody.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif http://www.drans.com/vetserver/images/smilies/vuur1.gif http://www.drans.com/vetserver/images/smilies/rocket*****.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

m4_007
11-09-2004, 05:04 PM
Interesting ... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

BigSlim_UK
11-09-2004, 05:22 PM
Lol hark i knew you was on a wind up there. I knew because when Daed was using his account - on his sig under the pic it says
xfire: Dumunkey.

Total.Ck_
11-09-2004, 06:25 PM
Jeez, now even I'm confused. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Anyhow, a tourney would be a great idea. Maybe this time I'll actually be able to make it on time. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

It would be pretty important to set up some fair rules. Especially rules conserning who hosts the game. No matter what anyone say, the host always has a slight advantage.

Shadow_KillaVSC
11-09-2004, 06:59 PM
Ive never really had no problem NOT being host. I can still whoop some ****!! hehe.. A tourny would be AWESOME.. I think if we cant get anyone to host it. We as a community should just do one and have a sign up here on the forums. but fisrst we must pick a trustworthy person to GOVERN all of this.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

HarkoninVSC
11-09-2004, 07:06 PM
I'm still waiting for a prize.

http://www.drans.com/vetserver/images/smilies/biggringift.gif

Sceptre6666
11-09-2004, 08:22 PM
I think it would be important for each stage to be a best 2 out of 3 thing.

That way, a team that chokes could come right back.

Shadow_KillaVSC
11-09-2004, 09:08 PM
there is scept with his weird but sometime good ideas? hehe http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

m4_007
11-10-2004, 07:23 AM
Version 2 guys .. this one Still a Beta .. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

V2 will be called UPCC Reloaded

Ow .. and UPCC mean United Personnal Computer Clan

HarkoninVSC
11-10-2004, 08:32 AM
Your joking right? No offense M4 but that name is terrible. No zip no ring, need something more colorful.

P.S.

I thought it was a league, whats up with the clan part and more importantly whats up with leader part on your tag?

If your running a forum you would be the Head moderator if your running a clan league site that would make you the officiator/host/webmaster, hardly a "leader". Did I miss something or am I just reading too far into it.
Very confusing what your running over there, is it a league of clans or are you trying to make 1 big clan with yourself as "Leader".

redskirts
11-10-2004, 09:33 AM
Ok now that i was correct in the booky crud, i am still wondering how the old tournament went?

Out of curiousity was is set up like march madness one game one map and the winner moves on or was is it best out of all the maps? What teams were in the final four?

C.A.T.ops
11-10-2004, 10:07 AM
I dunno red, that was way before the C.A.T. era. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

HarkoninVSC
11-10-2004, 01:12 PM
1 map, if you win both rounds, 2 maps if you both win 1 round first map. If you tie again it came down to how many NDS were neutralized.

Maps were selected randomly, most clans that signed up didnt show so many matches were won by default.

Final four were -

Glass Wank - Mcpimp and Gandalf
Spies Like Us - Humanzi and Reefer
R.A. - Effex and Tomfex
Lethal Force - wint3rhawk and Damxiel

Heres the link to the brackets -

http://www.clantourney.com/scpc/brackets.asp

Total.Ck_
11-10-2004, 06:14 PM
And that setup didn't even work too well. No rules about who hosts, odd amount of lives, and brakets where people like lethal force get fourth place. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

HarkoninVSC
11-10-2004, 06:27 PM
The worst part of the tournament was the fact that many teams advanced due to many competitors not showing up forcing other matches that otherwise wouldn't have occured until later in the stage.

Example our second round match was with Glass Wank when it should have been with CoolnessAk or TheBeans, expecting an easy match I went out and got all F***ed up the night b4, needless to say I woke up with pneumonia and a wicked hangover leaving me less than prepared for a real match.

If and when there is a 2nd tournament, rules should be clearly layed out as well as hosting decisions.

My suggestions -

Option #1
Have competing teams play on both sides servers depending on which lags less for overall majority should host.

Option # 2
Alternate between both servers.

Rules-
Win by elimination, 2 randomly selected maps to be played. Whoever loses the majority of the rounds is eliminated. In the event both teams stalemate, each winning 2 rounds the team with the most NDs neutralized wins.

Match Scheduling-
Should be determined by availability of both teams and a date and time convenient to both sides to avoid no shows forfeiting the match.

ArnoldRimmer
11-10-2004, 07:36 PM
well the no show problem would have an easy solution. Teams who dont show forfeit, the team who would have to play the team that didnt show does not play that day. Schedules stay the same even if two teams have no showing opponents. They would not play against each other unless agreed upon by all four players.

I mean you guys arent in a hurry now are you http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Spekkio9
11-10-2004, 08:28 PM
Now the big question: how do you choose the maps? When you only play 2, then it becomes unfair...teams will naturally be stronger on some maps and weaker on others. Say vsc is weak on vertigo (hypothetically, of course) and then ck is especially strong on vertigo...you end up losing the tourney just because you got a bad draw. Randomness should never decide a tourney winner, except in poker.

HarkoninVSC
11-10-2004, 08:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Win by elimination, 2 randomly selected maps to be played. Whoever loses the majority of the rounds is eliminated. In the event both teams stalemate, each winning 2 rounds the team with the most NDs neutralized wins.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thus the need for more than 1 map, 2 maps makes it fair enough to give both teams a chance. 3 or more would be too many while as only 1 would allow for the problem you just described.

Amn-23
11-11-2004, 09:14 AM
UCCCP gunna make a torny? as ubi cba

Spekkio9
11-11-2004, 10:54 AM
Yes, but that random selection again if you get the bad draw, like the hypothetical situation with vertigo, and you lose both rounds. Then say you tie on the second map that both teams are equally skilled on. In that case, the bad draw of vertigo lost you the tourney.

HarkoninVSC
11-11-2004, 12:21 PM
If a team is in a tournament they shuld be good to begin with. As I always say if yur only good on certainmaps then your not really good. Map selection shouldn't be the basis of a victor. 2 Randomly selected maps is more than fair for both teams.

Amn-23
11-11-2004, 12:25 PM
true. maps r just maps at this stage.
all the good ppl shouldnt be to affected by the maps

Total.Ck_
11-11-2004, 04:38 PM
There's still no denying that some teams are better at some maps than they are at others. My suggestion would be that each team picks a map to play on. This way they would both have the advantage in one game. A problem could occur if each team won both rounds in their own map, creating a tie.

I suppose another way would be take a vote of all the participants in the tourney for the maps to be used in each round.

Amn-23
11-11-2004, 04:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Total.Ck_:
I suppose another way would be take a vote of all the participants in the tourney for the maps to be used in each round. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

nice idea.. some1 would have to think about ti carefuly to get the votes, right.. i duno

Spekkio9
11-11-2004, 04:59 PM
I like Total's idea. One team picks one map, the other team picks the other map. And if you're playing on the map your team picked, the other team does the hosting and vice versa (to balance out the advantage). The tie breaker is the amount of nd's neutralized. If that's a tie, then I dunno what breaks it Hark was the one who knew the format.

HarkoninVSC
11-11-2004, 07:32 PM
In the event of tied NDS, it would come down to time. Most NDs neutralized in the shortest amount of time or total lives lost.

Now to the matter of map selection. This is funny sinc eyou said what if one team is better at yada yada but you want the teams to pick their maps? Doesn't make sense, the teams will obviously pick their best maps doing exactly what your afraid of happening.

2 Randomly selected maps is more than fair, while everyone has maps they are better at than others when it comes down to his skill the map doesnt matter.

Spekkio9
11-11-2004, 08:09 PM
2 randomly selected maps is LESS fair than each team picking one. If each team picks one, each will be playing on their strong map. If it is random, one team could get an especially weak map while the other could get strong, and it may not work in reverse. If each team picks a map, each will have an advantage 1 round and it will even out. And map does matter. Certain maps cater to certain playing styles more than others.

Shadow_KillaVSC
11-11-2004, 08:14 PM
As Hark is TRING to say, there should be no STRONG map.. If you are good you should be good at ANY map. I think we should all do it the way the last tourny was and the guys thats gonna take charge of all this(which i think shouldnt play in it) shuld pick randomly which order the maps will go, or we can just do them in ORDER.. Also lets stop whining and talking and get this torney GOING already.. Hark by the way ill be home saturday evening, heading to VA for a crazy time..
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/353.gif

HarkoninVSC
11-11-2004, 08:26 PM
Spekk let me ask you 1 question. Have you ever hosted or been involved in any online tournaments? If you had you would know that players selecting maps is nothing but trouble. The only fair way is to randomly select them.

If your going to be the winner of a tournament and take claim to bragging rights then you need to play all the maps equally skillfully. Anyone who says well I suck at this map or I don't like this map obviously is NOT worthy of any title let alone the opportunity to win a tournament.

Tournament mods should select the maps period.

Sceptre6666
11-11-2004, 08:35 PM
How about for the best 2/3 idea, we have 3 separate maps, that all teams would play on. Map 1 would be say... Schemer. 2 would be deftech. Tie breaker on museum.
I would reccomend saving hospital for the last as most people would agree its the most evenly set up between spies and mercs.

HarkoninVSC
11-11-2004, 09:40 PM
You would only need 3 maps in the event of a tie, 2 maps is more than enough.

ShadeNcDesigns
11-12-2004, 02:07 PM
Why not just all vote on ONE map for the tournament. Pick it at random, w/e. Announce it in advance that way everyone gets a chance to practice on it and make it their strong map. Each tournament can have a different map. Make a map rotation list or w/e.

Example:

Tourney 1, this map
Tourney 2, this map

Amn-23
11-12-2004, 05:41 PM
like 8 tornaments.... mabye

how about demo settings?

hosptial - neut?

... the best so far is the 2 random ones, as thats what it is... torumnementof skill of splintercell ... not there the winner of sc torney but they dont do that map.

HarkoninVSC
11-12-2004, 07:08 PM
The problem with only doing 1 map Shade is what Spekkio is worried about, 1 team haveing a superior advantage and the other having weaknesses on that specific map.

Total.Ck_
11-12-2004, 10:35 PM
I'm just working this out off the top of my head. There are two teams fighting in the tournament, team A and team B. The first map is map 1. Team A wins as merc and team B wins as merc. The same thing happens on map 2. Neither spy team gets any nd133s. Who is the winner? Even if there was a third round, what if the same thing happened again? I think that two maps would be a good choice. The question is, how will you break a tie? What if on map 2, team A hacks the ND133 for 1 second? Do they win? What if team B also gets a necksnap on map 2? Does A or B win?

My suggestion is that there should be a point system. For example, every 1% hacked counts as a point and a necksnap is 100 points. The problem is that keeping tracks of this could be very hard to do and could lead to disputes. I suppose ties wouldn't happen very often though.

We should also have a scedule and plan for the tourney. There should be somewhere to sign up (perhaps the UPCC site?). Then the best mode for each map should be decided along with which maps to use. I think that this tournament should leanr toward the sabotage game mode because the spies are more likely to win. Then the victor can be decided by the time it takes the spies to win instead of a point system.

Ugh, I've rambled enough. Feel free to add your idea.

Spekkio9
11-12-2004, 11:05 PM
Sort of a good idea, but I don't think neck snaps should be worth more than getting a whole nd.

HarkoninVSC
11-12-2004, 11:08 PM
Hes not saying that spekkio hes saying for each % of an ND that is hacked, so an entire ND is 100 points.

gW-PwN_McPimp
11-13-2004, 07:25 AM
Well it seems the majority of us definately would like another tournament. Hopefully in some time that will come to be. Unfortunately... I have found a new addiction...............World of Warcraft. And since Ive started playing it I havent even loaded up SCPT. So if there is another tourney, I dont think I'll be participating in it, and even if I did, I wouldnt have a partner (Gand and Effex are both hooked on WoW too).

But regardless of whether they have one or not, I just hope when SC:CT comes out that ubi promotes it better in the form of official tourneys with good prizes like the original one. And IF and when CT comes out, I will return to the game. But until then- World of Warcraft has got me hooked.

HarkoninVSC
11-13-2004, 07:28 AM
Pimp your like a ****** in Times Square with your games dude.

Amn-23
11-13-2004, 01:44 PM
points for percentage hack will be to hard to redgister.

also... i think it should be neutralisation? no?

Spekkio9
11-13-2004, 02:22 PM
How about, it's a 1 map tourney...

You play a first map, determined by whatever. If one team wins both rounds, they advance. If one team wins one round each, you go to another map. You continue this process until a team wins both rounds. May take a lot longer, but it's better than going by neck snapping points or something of that sort.

Amn-23
11-13-2004, 05:38 PM
is this gunna happen or we just gunna discus trivals?

C.A.T.ops
11-16-2004, 08:14 AM
I bet it'll happen now that we're gonna have new maps. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif