PDA

View Full Version : Rock Smith Cable should be longer

GimbalLock
10-21-2011, 05:13 PM
Rock Smith Cable should be at least 5 feet longer . My Xbox and TV aren't that close together so the short cable limits my Mobility to rock out when playing.

Pancho X1
10-21-2011, 06:45 PM
I assumed that the length was determined to be as long as possible to keep cost down and to minimize latency. But yeah, another six inches and I could sit on my couch and play with out yanking it out of my xbox.

rinzler72
10-21-2011, 06:45 PM
I bought a female/female barrel adapter ($5 at guitar center) and use one of my regular guitar cables as an extension. Seems to work just fine.

GimbalLock
10-21-2011, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by rinzler72:
I bought a female/female barrel adapter ($5 at guitar center) and use one of my regular guitar cables as an extension. Seems to work just fine.

That is what i was going to do next .... But i wanted Rock Smith to know it was to short so maybe they will rethink it for Rocksmith 2

LennonVC
10-21-2011, 08:58 PM
Guitar cables should not be over 12 ft long because they are high impedance and not balanced. You will start coloring the signal if you go over 12 ft. But USB is safe to go to 5 meters. So I would suggest getting usb extension.

S4M1AM666
10-29-2011, 02:23 PM
I agree on the cable length. Needs to be another 5' longer IMO. What would be really nice is if there was USB mic that you could use and play thru your own amp instead of the PS3. I have a nice surround sound and all but nothing beats the tone I can get thru my own gear.

AlexLifeson
11-03-2011, 11:15 PM
For those of you who have an external guitar tuner, what you can do (I do this now) is plug your normal guitar cable for you amp into your guitar, then the other end into your tuner's input jack, and then put the 1/4" end of the RS tone cable in the output of the tuner jack and the USB end into the console.

Most tuners have a bypass thru. You can then double check your tuning when you want to check it by turning your tuner on, but if you leave it off you still get your sound thru the tuner and into the RS cable and into the game.

Then it works as a adapter and extension and you get an added benefit.

If your tuner doesnt have the thru/bypass ability, check out this one (the one I have):

Korg GA-40
For $12 you cant go wrong:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EEEYCW

bluekanoodle
11-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by LennonVC:
Guitar cables should not be over 12 ft long because they are high impedance and not balanced. You will start coloring the signal if you go over 12 ft. But USB is safe to go to 5 meters. So I would suggest getting usb extension.

Ahh no USB limit is 16 feet without the use of a powered hub to repeat the signal and this can cause lag.

As far as the guitar cable limit, I call BS, I've got plenty of good cables in 25 foots length. Coloring your tone only becomes an issue when using a nice amp. For a game with generally crappy modelling to begin with, your not gonna notice a difference in tone with a longer cable.

Your going to have better performance extending the guitar cable, not the USB cable.

I'm saying this as having owned and played a lot over high end guitar gear and being in the IT field for more then 15 years

ForkInSocket
11-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Considering most controller cables are like 9' long, I thought 12 was a bonus.

rhinokio
11-08-2011, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by PanchoX1:
I assumed that the length was determined to be as long as possible to keep cost down and to minimize latency. But yeah, another six inches and I could sit on my couch and play with out yanking it out of my xbox.

cost of rocksmith adding an extra 6 inches to all the cables, probably tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of dollars.. cost of you moving your couch 6 inches. free.

also rocking on a couch!! blasphemy!