PDA

View Full Version : Why was this game not delayed?

on3m1c
11-08-2006, 02:26 PM
With all these problems it just begs the question; why didn't ubisoft just delay the game. It would have helped them so much in their reviews and probably their overall sales of the game. Not to mention happy customers.

on3m1c
11-08-2006, 02:26 PM
With all these problems it just begs the question; why didn't ubisoft just delay the game. It would have helped them so much in their reviews and probably their overall sales of the game. Not to mention happy customers.

WarlockSoL
11-08-2006, 02:53 PM
Well I believe it was delayed a little. Was originally sceduled for September IIRC.

Otherwise:
Out for the Holidays = $$$$

nemesis213
11-08-2006, 03:00 PM
Jeah ...

I dont know whats the Advantage to bring a VERY BUGGY Game like this out.

They should just delay the release fo a month.
Now 90 % cant play the Game. And Arkane must release Patches which doesnt change anything.

I have the same problmes like before. Performance problems ... i cant play the game its stuttering every third second ... and crashes with "Internal Device Direct 3D or so" error.

It just suckz ... omg what have you done arcane and <b style="color:black;background-color:#a0ffff">ubi[/b] soft. How can you kill such a good game -.- ...

greetz

Carrrick
11-08-2006, 03:30 PM
What I think happened is that they basically didnt Beta test it very well. The software doesnt work on SOME machine setups and I guess they didnt test it on half of them. They should have tested it on a wider range of PCs.

Though I imagine the reason they released it in this "state" is because as far as they could tell, it worked absolutely fine.

They probably didnt realised it still needed fixing and this came up and bit them in the butt. Admitedly, its their fault for not testing it as thorughly as they should've, but I dont think that they KNEW this would happen.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/carrick/DarkMessiahSigUbisoft.jpg

znork
11-08-2006, 03:42 PM
Well normaly a realse date has more to withe money then quality sadly. So it was out for x-mes and before the big guns hit! But there is realy no point in making 1 million threads on this forum. Write youre local media and tell then you are fed up withe to early releases. Its not the devs or the mods or the cms whoe decide when to realases. Its <b style="color:black;background-color:#a0ffff">ubi[/b] polecy that needs to be changed, the only way you can have an inpact on this is to tell youre local gamin magzine youre local media you want the industry to stop it. Think it will not help? It will belive me when i say this guys live withe the rewies. And if the rewiwers start to talk about bugs this will stop fast!

Let not be to hard on <b style="color:black;background-color:#a0ffff">ubi[/b], its not solly there fault it an industry problem.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Its nice to be important, but its more important to be nice!
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/Oakwarrior/WWRTFABATAMTKUITGS-Userbar.jpg

BTOG46
11-08-2006, 03:51 PM
So true, but the magazines are just as bad, trying to scoop each other with previews and reviews, fighting for sales happens in the magazine publishing industry too.
Sales govern business these days, from the top down the bottom line seems to be all that counts.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/7640/btog46mssig6pv1lh8.jpg (http://maximum-gamers.com)
Official Whisky taster and Herald to the Mighty Alderbranch
Maximum-Gamers.com Administrator "The clues are out there.....S.N.A.F.U."

hideinshadows
11-08-2006, 03:53 PM
I don't think there was anything sinister behind it, like they knew it was buggy but released it anyway etc etc. I'm prepared to believe they genuinely thought it was ready but their testing dept just screwed up.

znork
11-08-2006, 04:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hideinshadows:
I don't think there was anything sinister behind it, like they knew it was buggy but released it anyway etc etc. I'm prepared to believe they genuinely thought it was ready but their testing dept just screwed up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well its not that simple, they knew off a cirten amount of bugs when they realead it. Its a very complex problem this realsing of games. Its not like one dud says hey its ready! There are marketing people there are the devs the ceo and the sals people. All of this have diffrant opinons on when it should be realsed. Then there is this poor guy called a producer who gets all the blaim. Its how <b style="color:black;background-color:#a0ffff">ubi[/b] top manged ment is puching there produceres. So its not on purpose but on the same time it is.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/Oakwarrior/WWRTFABATAMTKUITGS-Userbar.jpg

Shadow_2588
11-08-2006, 04:17 PM
well, I think <b style="color:black;background-color:#a0ffff">Ubi[/b] or Arkane asked reviewing sites not to review the game until the patch comes out....well the patch is out, and it didn't fix anything...now they'll either get really bad publicity, OR, they'll ask the reviewing sites to wait longer until the game DOES run fine.

Qpon15
11-08-2006, 07:52 PM
Hello, im stuck at the part where i need to help Pency cross the Plaza. Because he wont fOLLOW ME!, i killed the cyclops before i found him, he still WONT FOLLOW! And he stands there ndoign nothing! i wish i could knock em out and carry him..

Anyone know wtf i need to do?

seadregs
11-08-2006, 08:45 PM
I had the same problem. I think there is a bug here. If I remember correctly I went back inside the door we came out of and came back out again and that fixed the problem. Either that or a nearby door to where he is standing.

Nonymous666
11-09-2006, 06:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hideinshadows:
I don't think there was anything sinister behind it, like they knew it was buggy but released it anyway etc etc. I'm prepared to believe they genuinely thought it was ready but their testing dept just screwed up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't. The "preliminary readme" for the patch released last week had a *ton* of stuff in it. There's no way they found all those bugs AFTER release day and also knew all the ones listed could/are to be fixed in the patch that was promised shortly. I think the majority of the bugs listed in the readme they knew about prior to the release.

WarlockSoL
11-09-2006, 09:29 AM
I don't really blame Arkane for this - quality assurance is not exactly their job, and the game itself (once you get the thing working) is fantastic. I do however blame <b style="color:black;background-color:#a0ffff">Ubi[/b] - quality assurance *should* be their job. But I think something is seriously wrong there - and you can even look at their other games like Heroes of Might & Magic V and see a similar pattern (how "Not Enought Movement Points" has not be fixed in the last *two* patches is beyond me). It's like they test the thing on one machine, say "Oh look, it works!" and ship it off (and this is why I don't blame Arkane, because they probably do just use one development box for their internal testing). Had they done *any* kind of real testing with different hardware configs (even just two or three different setups) they should have at least caught the major crashing. The less major stuff I can let slide, but when 90% of the people who bought the game can't even play it (at least without major tweaking of video settings, etc), something went wrong in testing.

And yeah, I do think it was a money issue like I said. It's just disappointing is all.

Dogstar060763
11-09-2006, 09:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nonymous666:
The "preliminary readme" for the patch released last week had a *ton* of stuff in it. There's no way they found all those bugs AFTER release day and also knew all the ones listed could/are to be fixed in the patch that was promised shortly. I think the majority of the bugs listed in the readme they knew about prior to the release. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed.

As for releasing it as it was... who knows? I tend towards the view that financial considerations came before exhaustive testing. Arkane are not Valve and they don't have the luxury of calling the shots like Valve (who self-published HL2, after all). So the blame ultimately lies with Ubisoft, who, as the money men, had all the levers of control. Working to 'milestone' payments is a sword of Damocles to any developer, god knows.

I sympathize with Arkane. I believe everyone who worked on this game genuinely wanted it to be the best it could - nobody sets out to make a bad game.

The fact the 'finished' game is clearly far from perfect for a great man

chillmayn213
11-09-2006, 10:20 AM
i didn't kill it.. i found a way (can't rembemer it, but i'd use the robe bow and find'ed the way) - and then i came to a house (i think) and after i open'ed the dore he came running :P

znork
11-09-2006, 11:14 AM
well you should blame the sher holder and the board of <b style="color:black;background-color:#a0ffff">ubi[/b]http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif If there is somone to blame!<div class="ev_tpc_signature">