PDA

View Full Version : The HL2 Review You've All Been Waiting For....MINE! *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

DS12
11-28-2004, 10:40 AM
I realize that none of you were actually waiting for my review, but as many of you may remember, KU and I have been preaching about how good this game would be for near several months. So here is my short review, not as short as Tejo's and not near as long as vpc's.

As soon as I entered the game I was immediatly enthralled by the story, gameplay and eye candy. The graphics were simply amazing. Valve pushed the boundries of what a PC could do and created a PC game unmatched by any other. The weapons were unique and fun to use, each offering a new and intresting way to fight your enemies. The AI was also very well done. My squad of humans and ant lions often got me into a room so I couldn't get out and that made for some sticky and claustraphobic moments, but it didn't detract from the gameplay to much. The undead AI were also very fun to play with. It offered a welcome break from firefights with the ignorant combine and it was fun to light them on fire, blow them up, push them over ledges and chop them in half with razors. Valve also put in a nice mix of fighting and puszles you had to solve. Unlike alot of shooters, you would have to bypass some sort of security deveice or disable a bomb to get through and area. This got you thinking, which was good, since I spent so long on this my brain nearly turned to mush. The vehicles were also fun to drive, and I could find no bugs worth noteing in this field. All in all, the thing that disapointed me most was the ending. Granted it was fun to play, but it was no were near a good way to end such a great game. Unless there is a sequal, I will remain dissasitisified with the ending, though they left themselves open for another HL game at least. My other main complaint has to do with the loading times. They were horrendus, and this often prevented me from playing the game due to it took upwards of five minutes just to get to the main menu. However, with such a large game, that was not unexpected. Lastly, this game was far to short. Valve said that it would take from 30-36 hours to complete a while ago, then it went down to 20,then to 12. It was just to short and easy in some spots. They should either make it harder, or a lot longer. All in all, I would give this game a 9.7 out of 10, or a 97 percent. It was a great game, perhaps the best I have ever played, and I would recomend it to any avid PC user, or just one looking for a good time and willing to spend 55$. It was worth it. In fact, I'm off to play now.

DS12
11-28-2004, 10:40 AM
I realize that none of you were actually waiting for my review, but as many of you may remember, KU and I have been preaching about how good this game would be for near several months. So here is my short review, not as short as Tejo's and not near as long as vpc's.

As soon as I entered the game I was immediatly enthralled by the story, gameplay and eye candy. The graphics were simply amazing. Valve pushed the boundries of what a PC could do and created a PC game unmatched by any other. The weapons were unique and fun to use, each offering a new and intresting way to fight your enemies. The AI was also very well done. My squad of humans and ant lions often got me into a room so I couldn't get out and that made for some sticky and claustraphobic moments, but it didn't detract from the gameplay to much. The undead AI were also very fun to play with. It offered a welcome break from firefights with the ignorant combine and it was fun to light them on fire, blow them up, push them over ledges and chop them in half with razors. Valve also put in a nice mix of fighting and puszles you had to solve. Unlike alot of shooters, you would have to bypass some sort of security deveice or disable a bomb to get through and area. This got you thinking, which was good, since I spent so long on this my brain nearly turned to mush. The vehicles were also fun to drive, and I could find no bugs worth noteing in this field. All in all, the thing that disapointed me most was the ending. Granted it was fun to play, but it was no were near a good way to end such a great game. Unless there is a sequal, I will remain dissasitisified with the ending, though they left themselves open for another HL game at least. My other main complaint has to do with the loading times. They were horrendus, and this often prevented me from playing the game due to it took upwards of five minutes just to get to the main menu. However, with such a large game, that was not unexpected. Lastly, this game was far to short. Valve said that it would take from 30-36 hours to complete a while ago, then it went down to 20,then to 12. It was just to short and easy in some spots. They should either make it harder, or a lot longer. All in all, I would give this game a 9.7 out of 10, or a 97 percent. It was a great game, perhaps the best I have ever played, and I would recomend it to any avid PC user, or just one looking for a good time and willing to spend 55$. It was worth it. In fact, I'm off to play now.

KU_
11-28-2004, 11:00 AM
BEST GAME I EVER PLAYED!

DS12
11-28-2004, 11:48 AM
Ditto http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I'll have to play CS:S with you sometime KU

njcl
11-28-2004, 12:18 PM
heard its very linear,bad AI,bad vehicle driving,no story,muddling,............just points iv heard across various forums

The_One34
11-28-2004, 12:34 PM
Well,I think Gta: sa is the best!! 9.9/10!!

KU_
11-28-2004, 03:51 PM
Linear? Not really. Vast new environments take that away. I wouldn't say bad AI. The AI is good, just your squadmates block door ways on you sometimes. I loved the vehicle driving. No story? Read this-

http://members.shaw.ca/storage_4/hl2story/ (Warning spoilers) No muddling for me. Ran like a beauty!

Tejo.hr
11-28-2004, 04:03 PM
Vehicle driving in bad. Human AI is exelent.

DS12
11-29-2004, 01:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KU_:
Linear? Not really. Vast new environments take that away. I wouldn't say bad AI. The AI is good, just your squadmates block door ways on you sometimes. I loved the vehicle driving. No story? Read this-

http://members.shaw.ca/storage_4/hl2story/ (Warning spoilers) No muddling for me. Ran like a beauty! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL. OWNED

quillan
11-29-2004, 02:01 PM
All first person shooters are linear. It's a requirement for the scripting, and the flow of the campaign. Some are designed more expansively than others, with multiple pathways, but they all move from point A to point B, no matter which route you take in between. The vehicle driving was great, in my opinion. There was a spot when you're driving the airboat, and being chased by a helicopter gunship, that could have come straight out of a James Bond movie. The story is there, it's just very subtle, not explained in detail, and not overly emphasized. I'm not sure if that was intentional to keep us wondering, or if things were cut that lost some of the explanation.