PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else find the demo ridiculosly hard?

marius50
04-16-2006, 04:09 AM

marius50
04-16-2006, 04:09 AM

BoBFiSh66
04-16-2006, 04:14 AM
I never had a problem with it, some battles were a lil tough but thats what strategy games are designed to be for me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

You'll get there im sure, but overall impressions of the game are spot on for a great game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

best of luck, and perhaps you might want to change the no part of your poll. I felt bad selecting it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

marius50
04-16-2006, 04:16 AM
hehehe thanks for your sympathy but i deserve it, usually im teh shiz with heroes 2-4 this one is completeley different

BoBFiSh66
04-16-2006, 04:21 AM
Took a little while getting used to the new abilities for each race (inferno and haven in this demo) but its a nice change among many others. Certainly one that wont leave the dvd-rom in a long while http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

cactoblasta
04-16-2006, 04:22 AM
Yeah I've found it hard so far, and there doesn't seem to be an autosave, so if the autofight kills off a character I have to start over right from the beginning again. It's not as fun as I'd heard the game would be.

Croc_007
04-16-2006, 05:29 AM
It was very hard to defeat AI the first rush with their 6 devils on easiest difficulty setting first times I tried. However I found out that it become much easier after you had used your hero buffs, especially the one who buff up all your stacks who costs 0 in mana. Use the other buff too (who increase minimum damage) on key units like the horse units (paladin looking units) and archers. Archers will do 6-8 in damage with that buff instead of 2-8. It's a huge difference.

Janne_p2005
04-16-2006, 05:43 AM
I found it hard at first, maybe even bit too hard, but finally managed it. Mostly the hardness become from the bit unclear objectives, which are told in the cutscenes, but are not written very clear on the mission briefing screen. Like I spend lots of time locating the enemy in the heaven campaign and fighting the endless defend battles (the same heroe kept attacking my castle although I kicked his butt everytime), just to discover that I had had the artifact on my other armys inventory the whole time, and I couldn't get nowhere in the campaign without delivering the artifact to the castle.

ajdavidsome
04-16-2006, 06:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Croc_007:
I found out that it become much easier after you had used your hero buffs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What is a Buff?
Yes i also found it to be quite hard i was however able to defeat the first wave of enemies. But didnt relise they just kept on coming and left my castle and i didnt get back to my castle in time when the second wave of enemies came and lost.
I havent yet tried to replay the campaign yet, but will have to try some different strategies.

demonxmaster
04-16-2006, 06:12 AM
i dont think its hard maybe your new in this game.

SirChuc
04-16-2006, 06:17 AM
Buffs like Mass Bless (or Divine something?) really help.

red_12345
04-16-2006, 06:34 AM
I haven't played Heroes for a long time but to tell you the truth - you suck http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif. Kidding ofc. The first time I attacked the inferno hero and defeated him. Granted I suffered some loses but still I won.

red_12345
04-16-2006, 06:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajdavidsome:
What is a Buff? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a spell that - unlike destruction spells, which cause direct damage to the enemy - enhances specific attributes of your forces for instance attack, initiative, speed, health, luck etc.

Miedwied
04-16-2006, 07:22 AM
It's a nice change from H4. Chalenging games are fun aren't they? If you are new to the series it takes a while to get use to tho( without tutorial in demo)
Some tips i can give:
1.Before the first siege
-use Isabel only
-kill shadow drags guarding gold mine and take it
-Build City Hall
-Build Mages Guild level 1
-Build Castle
-Hire Archers and Peasants

2.Specific for the first siege battle:
-Block your marksman with other units(so they arent gated)
-Battle dive sucubs
-Use Benediction
-Focus fire on devils

3.After the battle
-Use Isabel as the main hero .
-Don't split your armies .
-Build stables in your town asap
- kill some netruals near the mines for a few days then retur to castle
-remember that you can hire Cavaliers (awesome unit and your main attack force) in the building east of your castle
-Hire a third heroe and take mines and pick up stuff after Isabel killed netruals guarding them

Red_orbiT_
04-16-2006, 12:39 PM
The poll is biased. There is no
"The demo is not the usual tutorial and skirmish. You're not bad for finding it hard. But I've played Homm so much that it's not hard for me."
alternative.
I didn't find the demo hard, but that doesn't make you bad.

ACEofHeart
04-16-2006, 12:59 PM
Yes it is hard..!!!
I don't know who all these other's replying are or the point they're trying to prove..but to say that it's not hard is just being arrogant..
And yes I've plated every Heroes game since number One... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

NeoEnigma
04-16-2006, 03:25 PM
The campaign isnt hard at all. I had absolutely no trouble with it. And thats not being arrogant. Thats just being... er... skilled, I guess. I dunno.

I only had trouble wiuth confusing objectives at first.

Daiden
04-16-2006, 03:51 PM
It is a little tough, but notice its the 5th part of a campaign... So you'd expect it to be fairly difficult.

The_Sybian
04-16-2006, 03:55 PM
It is very hard until you understand the game mechanics, then it becomes very easy hehe.

Iv'e started working on efficiency now. I no longer use all my units to defend. Iv'e been sending my mid tier units off to try and keep them alive outside of combat and splitting up small peasant stacks as meat shields around my archers. Working pretty good. Iv'e managed to kill the 4 Pit Lords at the tower while only losing one peasant.

Infiltrator-SF
04-16-2006, 03:58 PM
I haven't tried Heroic yet, but it's pretty easy on Hard (what a paradox).

Oggums
04-16-2006, 04:14 PM
The part I played was easy. That is, until it told me I ran out of time!

When you start the map, it doesn't tell you you're on a time limit. I just went exploring, took a castle to the north, then continued exploring. Then it told me I lost, ending without any warning at all.

grotesc666
04-17-2006, 05:01 AM
people shouyld READ the mission objectives

and the campaigns are not hard (only if you are some guy playing Heroes for the first time)

and in the first campaign to resist you should find the "grail". That is the way the story goes and that you should do.

And if you play smart, dont lose many creatures gather them from the external dwelings the games is easy.

men3vr
04-17-2006, 05:39 AM
well as long as i play on normal difficulty i dont experience any hardships but have anyone noticed that creatures cost too much? I havent playd h3 or h4 for a long time but creatures seem to have been cheaper there

Campaigner_1st
04-17-2006, 06:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The_Sybian:
It is very hard until you understand the game mechanics, then it becomes very easy hehe.

Iv'e started working on efficiency now. I no longer use all my units to defend. Iv'e been sending my mid tier units off to try and keep them alive outside of combat and splitting up small peasant stacks as meat shields around my archers. Working pretty good. Iv'e managed to kill the 4 Pit Lords at the tower while only losing one peasant. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, the Pit Lords always strikes my Cavaliers or Marksmen so I really wonder what units you used, quantity of'em and how you set'em up.

Oggums
04-17-2006, 09:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by grotesc666:
people shouyld READ the mission objectives
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, yes...I'm sure we all looked for them and did that the second time, after the game quit abruptly.

But it's a demo, and it would have been much better if it GAVE you the objectives, or pointed out WHERE the objective could be found.

Marwynn2006
04-17-2006, 10:13 AM
I guess the first thing to take into account is that you only need to capture the town of Dunmoor first. Forget Isabel for a moment, clear some stuff out, get some cavaliers east of Dunmoor, and when you free her you empty out Godric's army and put her in charge of the defense.

After that, you get 2-3 more enemy heroes which should be getting easier and easier.

Zimmymasaki
04-17-2006, 11:52 AM
Well i downloaded the demo expecting something hard and no problems at all completed the skirmish and both compaigns on first try. If you can't do them sorry but you probably are bad at the game.

I mean there was no really taxing battles in it. It was probably harder than the other heroes when set on normal but still not hard.

Although i was slightly irritated that the computer seems to be able to cheat. On the skirmish he had an army almost the same size as mine and he had angels but i had no devils. Yet he had no where near as many mines or had done as many battles/claimed as many chests etc. So that was a bit annoying but eh.

Defending the castle the first time is really easy, just stay in your walls as long as possible and take out all their ranged units then only go after the rest when your towers are destroyed.

I actually really liked the difficulty level, it was at a point where it was easy to win but not easy to do it with very few casualties.

I can understand people finding it hard if they didn't look at the objectives but i mean you can apply that to pretty much any game.

Nutcrackr
04-17-2006, 06:28 PM
I haven't really played a game like this in a while so for me it was pretty hard to start with. Once you get into it it started getting alot easier that's for sure. I still think there needs to be a easier mode, one where the enemies are pretty weak. Some people like to win, give them that choice.

ACEofHeart
04-17-2006, 06:51 PM
Okay maybe what's "Hard" is not easily defined but its definitely not Beginner friendly and you have to know old tactics to get thru it..
The giving over of the intial armies and having her defend the castle is a lil tricky. And the time factor is not executed very well by the game..As for searching out the hidden treasure that's clear cut but also time consuming. Your intial hero has to wait for some re-inforcements after giving up his army.. Its Hard but not "ridiculosly" hard then.. LOL

Zimmymasaki
04-17-2006, 07:05 PM
What old tactics do you need to know exactly? O.o You free her and take the castle then you take a few troops and go find obelisks, get the artifact and its easy sailing. There isn't anything majorly challenging, and its hardly like a RTS where you can't sit down for 5minutes and just see how things work because you will get attacked.

And i mean the cutscenes constantly guide you,
We should guard the castle
There will be more attacks lets guard the castle
Ok you go find obelisks i will guard the castle
Ok i will go get nicolai you guard the castle.
It even highlights where Nicolai is!

OK its not beginner friendly in terms of it doesn't explain everything the first time such as.
''This is defend button, if you press it the creature will defend''
''This is the spell book click it to see a list of spells''
But i mean how wrong can you go? attack, defend, ability.

''Its Hard but not "ridiculosly" hard then.. LOL''

no =P its easy for people who have played heroes before and should be normal for people who haven't.

The_Sybian
04-17-2006, 10:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Campaigner_1st:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The_Sybian:

Iv'e started working on efficiency now. I no longer use all my units to defend. Iv'e been sending my mid tier units off to try and keep them alive outside of combat and splitting up small peasant stacks as meat shields around my archers. Working pretty good. Iv'e managed to kill the 4 Pit Lords at the tower while only losing one peasant. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, the Pit Lords always strikes my Cavaliers or Marksmen so I really wonder what units you used, quantity of'em and how you set'em up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

(i said one, it was two with this setup)
slect gryphons as the bonus creature, it gives you too many hehe

take the griphons and 2 seperate stacks of 1 peasant spread out, dive bomb the group of devils that go second. the trick is to calculate how far the devils will move to be able to hit them. they won't cast fireball if the peasants aren't near one another, they will move to close in the distance. you're diving gryphons will take out one stack of devils and if you set up the turns correctly they will get an attacks before the next group of devils.

Iv'e started using this on every battle possible. Leaving as many troops out of the battle as possible and using 1 stack peasants only to occupy an enemy.

Xeo-
04-18-2006, 01:48 AM
I think it was almost to easy on normal level.
In the campain i just charged into the demon heroes as they appeared, and when they died i got bored and took out the demon castle in third week.

navicon
04-18-2006, 09:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">no =P its easy for people who have played heroes before and should be normal for people who haven't. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your first statement was borderline correct, but your second totally missed the mark. A sample from the posts in this forum should tell you that beginners (to the heroes series) are having a difficult time with the demo.

ajdavidsome
04-18-2006, 03:49 PM
The demo was hard but not impossible. If you are able to stand hold of your castle for a few weeks from the enemies and go and get all the mines it becomes really easy after that. I didnt get the Tears of Asha right up to the end so dont really think you need to go looking for it straight away but of course it is nice to have.
What i did find hard is that i took a garrison over in the opposite corner to the map that looked really interesting early in the game, but at that time it didnt do anything, I revealed all the map and at that time was quite confused of what exactly i had to do, all i knew is that io had to meet Nicolai, i decided to go back over to the garrison and through it when finally i won, so after many weeks of time wasting trying to find out where Nicolai was i won.

TastelessRamen
04-18-2006, 04:43 PM
I played through the older hero games and found them to be excruciatingly difficult, to be honest... in comparison, this was a cakewalk.

I was able to take the above ground devil city to the southeast with a decked out Isabel and from then on I just had so much money and so many troops that the devil armies were utterly pathetic by comparison.

Overall, i'd say that the demo was very easy... As someone said earlier, i'm not trying to be arrogant, I am just telling my experience, and my experience is that it was pretty easy...

LONG_RANGER
04-18-2006, 05:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LONG_RANGER:
Well this demo was freakin hard for me. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif I play mostly tactical first person shooters and military RTS games. If im not shooting or blowing up something or seeing my troops and tanks destroying enemy formations from strategicallyplaced positions then Im not happy.

HoMM5 is my first turn based strategy game and it showed. I do not understand the gameplay mechanics of the game really good yet, for example I dont know how to select the Griffin to dive bomb a particular target, Im willing to learn to see how the game really shine with the proper keyboard manipulation combined with sound tactics.

On my first campaign attempt I came in and followed the objectives just like any other game, knowing that I had to find the artifact but not knowing how. After having a ***** of a time dealing with Agrael in the first siege I finally beat him and started capturing neutral assets in the hope I may find the artifact. I withstood siege after siege building up my army and growing the city to level 35.

During this time I noticed one particular demon lord moving up and down the map not attacking Dunmoor after several turns, I didnt mind cause it bought me time to look for obelisks which I didnt know was the key to finding the Tear of Asha. Well that same demon lord who was pacing the map decided to finally siege Dunmoor and man the bugger came with a HUGE army and totally owned what I thought was a good sized army I had under the queen. The demon lord had legions of every evil demonic creature at his disposal plus had some very nasty spells that totally decimated my army, after multiple tries and using earlier saves to look for the obelisks from a earlier time period I just gave up the first campaign attempt with a heavy heart. What I now know is that the demon lord FOUND the Tear of Asha and built himself a powerful demon army and promptly owned me.

Well with all that in mind and learning from these forums I started a new campaign attempt I now know that the obelisks reveals the location of the artifact, and with finding two obelisks one can guess the location to dig. I was under the n00b impression that you use the underground view to look for the spot to dig lol. I quickly found the damned artifact and built an all powerful army I hired a Hero from the city to explore the map and scout for enemy movement. One demon lord came with a significant force but I was too much for him, I beat his arse badly. I then got the go ahead to send for Nicolai. I sent Godric underground with a powerful force, whipped everything down there who opposed me and even got some Steel Golems and Scouts to join me in my Crusade. Emerged in the hellish Inferno lands and crushed all fools who defied me, even 5 Colossus begged off I didnt pursue them. Took the gate left a signifcant garrison and went on to WIN. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

All this took me three days lol Im a phat n00b. I really need to learn more stuff before I buy the full version, I can say HoMM5 a good game and looks really sweet on my X1600PRO really lovely to look at indeed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

JackeOne
04-19-2006, 03:06 PM
Damn i agree with the thread-starter.
I neither endet the heaven campaign map nor the scenario with the inferno-town.
Im mabey not a pro but im playing homm since part 2 and i dont know what to do.
For example the scenario.
Im exploring the upper world with my heroe and lots of creatures when suddenly the opponent heroe appeares.
I attack him and win in an awesome fight with only 10 succubis left.
I think to myself "well this should be it, there cant be alot left in the castle" when next turn a second heroe appeares with even more creatures.
I mean Im not kiddin, that cant be!?!??!

Titan9999
04-19-2006, 04:10 PM
The demo difficulty is about right for me on Normal level, and I have played every HoMM game since HoMM2 and also the open beta. I can understand if the newcomers have dificulty winning the demo.

Each time you get a quest, it's important to check the log to see what needs to be done. Also save often using F5 and/or F6.

Red_orbiT_
04-19-2006, 04:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sorceresss:
I also agree with the thread-starter...but the Big Boys, on this forum, have deployed their eminent expert authority to declare that the demo is a cakewalk! One of the Grand Masters even found it easy on the maximum (heroic) level of difficulty.

So, JackeOne, join the club of us incompetent players.

P.S. &gt; It's a demo, not a "who can piss the furthest" tournament. They could have included at least one more relaxed scenario for us...average customers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You actually seem to be seriously angry that some people have a different opinion... I don't really understand why http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

nanogasm
04-19-2006, 06:32 PM
The drastic comparison in difficulty perception between 'too hard' and 'just right' (and in some cases.. too easy) we're seeing out there is actually great news for the game when you think about it.

It shows how the tactics you use makes a difference in your success. It's the same game. The same heros. The same opponents. The same map. Yet the results on player perception of how hard it is, is incredibly different.

HoMM "appears" like a strategy-lite game because of its streamlined turnplay. Don't be fooled. The game has a very deep strategic element to it. Both on the adventure map, and on the battlefield.

For those who find it too hard, I agree... it would have been nice for the demo to offer something to ease you into the series. It is harder to learn the basics under challenging scenarios. Hopefully the full release comes with a walk-through, or at the very least a detailed manual.

Also, some of us come from a strategy background. Making it easier will reduce the longevity of entertainment, quickly for the strat vets, but also for everyone over the long haul.

jeffnebraska
04-20-2006, 11:38 AM
Because I've been playing Heroes since chapter 1, I started on the hard setting. I gotta say, that was a bit tough. Not because the computer played so brilliantly (though it did use gating to nice effect), but because that second big attacker was quite a challenge to fight off with as few troops as I could afford at that time, and he was accompanied by a moderately strong lieutenant who has claiming my mines with impugnity and was three days ride away.

Anyway, I restarted with the normal setting (which seems to give me more troops and them less) and I'm basically sailing through it. It's harder than the old normal setting on Heroes III, which was a cakewalk, but it's never frustrating or disheartening. I've quickly attained a position of clear superiority where I can march around and destroy his invaders whenever they show up.

My overall take is that the difficulty settings, while a bit steep for a newbie, are great for an experienced player. When I get the full game, I'm sure I'll play on hard and never look back. It'll probably take me a bit longer to attain clear superiority than it used to on Heroes III, but that will be a welcome change.

Hopefully, there will also be some kind of "easy" setting to let newbies get in the pool w/o drowning, but I fear, as the game has now gone gold, that ship has sailed.

Also, I agree with the post above that the disparity between players' reactions to the difficulty is a very good sign. This is a multi-layered strategic game (thank goodness for the larger battlefields) that has as much depth as any fast-paced game could. You have to earn your dominance, and that's as it should be.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Page 1 2
Please Wait. Your request is being processed...
[x]

SiteForums
Servleteve2da011
Version1.2.13 build 8564
ModuleForums 4.0.3
Stylesheet"Might & Magic - Heroes V"
Wordlet Set"Default Wordlet Set"
Logout: Forums
Update Groupee Account </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tomxlecanard
04-20-2006, 03:44 PM
I find the demo hard though. And I've played HoMM a lot before.
The first mission is tricky but fair, as long as you rush to the Castle and use Isabel to defend the Dunmoor of the first rushes. Indeed, it turns in a few weeks at your advantage.
But the Inferno mission, damn!!! Would it be the other demon or one of the Haven heroes, they just blow my army everytime. And the boots do not help that much. Because I like the game, i'll probably reload a thousand of times, to find the perfect ride... but I would probably not insist that much if Heroes was a discovery, or a totally new game for me...

BTW, any relevant tactic for the Inferno mission would be appreciated...

Azuzu1
04-20-2006, 03:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">BTW, any relevant tactic for the Inferno mission would be appreciated... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are other threads about this... it is not a hard mission.

B_Doomreaver
04-20-2006, 04:23 PM
I voted "No" since I found no part of it harder than I found Heroes 3. Sure, I needed to spend some time just learning the maps, but I had no problems once I knew about them. Had no difficulties at all with the Demon Campaign mission 1, and few with Haven mission 5.

The skirmish was a fun one, I would have had a much easier time on my first two wins of it had I known that you need a Sacrificial Pit to build a Castle in a Demon Town =P

Zimmymasaki
04-20-2006, 05:44 PM
''BTW, any relevant tactic for the Inferno mission would be appreciated...''

You walk.... thats it.... walk. You go to the keymasters tent and then go to the gate and underground... then walk around and back to above ground..... it could not be easier :| unless of course there were no enemies but they may as well not be considering how far behind you they are.

Vicheron
04-20-2006, 06:01 PM
I didn't find it very hard. I just use the same strategy I used for the previous Heroes games. I found Heroes 1 and 2 to be much more difficult.

greggbert
04-21-2006, 08:51 AM
I noticed none of the "experts" are posting how they completed the first level. Here's where I get stuck. I run my guy up the castle, take it, then camp out there until the enemy hero comes. I hire as many marksman and peasants as I can until he shows up. Then when he comes, he sends in that giant pit guy, takes out all my big creatures, while his stack of 60 demons or whatever kill all my smaller guys. Dead every time. Am I missing something? Usually by combat turn 3 he's got almost all his guys inside the walls and he's tearing me up. Every unit of mine does like NONE or 0-1 damage on his.

POST A CLEAR STRATEGY if you think it's so easy, thanks people! Not just "I used the tactics I learned". If you start the level by conquering the city first, then waiting for the bad guys can you beat the attacker? How?

Spartaan5
04-21-2006, 09:00 AM
Greggbert: One thing to note is that the princess has many more levels than the original guy.

The best way I found to play the haven campaign is to race for the town at the start. Then release the princess and give her all the troops. Have the princess kill the dragons guarding the gold mine, then camp her inside the city while Godric actually tags the mine and gathers the resources.

When the demon comes he will attack the town. The archer tower should take out the shooters fairly quick. Use your hero to melee down the pit lords.

Don't move out your forces. Just defend and only take out the units that gate inside your walls. Have the archery tower and your hero do all the killing really.

It's not an easy fight by any means, and you will suffer heavy losses but it can be done http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Good luck!

Red_orbiT_
04-21-2006, 09:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by greggbert:
I noticed none of the "experts" are posting how they completed the first level. Here's where I get stuck. I run my guy up the castle, take it, then camp out there until the enemy hero comes. I hire as many marksman and peasants as I can until he shows up. Then when he comes, he sends in that giant pit guy, takes out all my big creatures, while his stack of 60 demons or whatever kill all my smaller guys. Dead every time. Am I missing something? Usually by combat turn 3 he's got almost all his guys inside the walls and he's tearing me up. Every unit of mine does like NONE or 0-1 damage on his.

POST A CLEAR STRATEGY if you think it's so easy, thanks people! Not just "I used the tactics I learned". If you start the level by conquering the city first, then waiting for the bad guys can you beat the attacker? How? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you transfer all the units from the male hero to the female hero and use only the female hero? Do so if you haven't. The cavalry are your most important units. Griffins and Marksmen are also very useful. Concentrate on getting these troops before the first hero comes.
There's a small fort to the east that you can get extra cavalry in. Use it if you have time.
As to the battle, stay inside the walls. Use benediction first thing with the hero. They don't use to have much shooters, but concentrate your marksmen/archer on the shooters first. Let the enemy come to you. When something gets in, use as many units as possible on that unit, concentrate your attacks(they only have one retaliation between their moves, so after the first attacker you can attack without being retaliated at).
The devils should be your main target, they are the ones who deal serious damage. Try to hit the devils with your squires/footmen/peasants/militiamen first and then with the cavalry(this way, your cavalry won't be retaliated at wich is important as the cavalry are the only units that really can damage the devils). Concentrate everything on the devils(and don't let the devils get near your archers/marksmen!). Once the devils are dead, the army won't be very dangerous anymore.

Not sure if this is helpful, it surely isn't the best strategy, but it works on normal for me.

GratefulFred
04-21-2006, 09:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Titan9999:
The demo difficulty is about right for me on Normal level, and I have played every HoMM game since HoMM2 and also the open beta. I can understand if the newcomers have dificulty winning the demo.

Each time you get a quest, it's important to check the log to see what needs to be done. Also save often using F5 and/or F6. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My experience exactly.

skortzy
04-21-2006, 09:41 AM
One trick I used was to go and free the princess first (can be done in day 3), give her all the troops and attack the town. This way I lost less creatures when attacking the town and had both heroes and the town on Day 3.

H5forem
04-22-2006, 03:57 AM
I don't know why but I fight better against Agrael in open field then in a castle... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

Nengkan
04-22-2006, 05:31 AM
I have played the scenario 6 times (3 in Normal, 2 in Hard and 1 in Heroic... in that order). The bonus i usually take is the money except in Normal, where the money isn't a problem.

I take the random goodies from the little guy and the logs in my way to the city. I ignore the outpost in the way, conquer the Ore Min, increase the Knowledge of Godric and then take the wood productor (bad memory of mine with names, sorry). After all that i'm ready to take the city and rescue Isabel in the sixth day.

Godric gives all the troops to Isabel and she take a trip to the city. I always recruit Peasants for the Paxtayer ability and try to build Level One Mage Guild (Divine Strenght is very useful, mind you) so Isabel can learn some Light Magic before she attacks the Shadow Dragons to the northwest.

If everything goes well, Isabel will defeat the dragons and take the Gold Mine in the same turn, going back to the city after that, leavng Godric to be the one who takes the chests and gold. In city buildings i try to have the Griffin Tower, build the silo as soon as possible (i never take the crystal mine in the underground so i manage always my Angel/Cavalier needs with the silo and the market). From that point, also try wo improve a bit the Townhall and get Barracks too. Buildings to upgrade if possible, as priority, the Marksman Tower and Griffin Bastion. Maybe get the second level for the magic tower but i usually wait a bit before that.

Out-of-the-city politics is to defeat Agrael first and as soon as you do, run to the outpost to the east of the city, defeat the guards and buy all the units there. The sulfur mine and the gem one are conquered later, depending of the tropps you still have, an the day it is (once a week is when you get an invasion, before you get The Tear of Asha, so you should try to get them shortly after one of those attacks). Godric, meanwhile, will run non stop to the east to find the first monolith. If you know the map around you, it will be not so difficult to find the artifact without more monoliths. I did it in Hard mode the two times i played because i recognized the places from my three previous games in Normal, so i only had to go and dig it at the first try. In the Heroic difficulty the map was new but i recognized the new zone and tried to calculate the middle... i found the artifact at the third try.

I try to hire extra Knight heroes ofr their extra troops and to use them as courier between the outposts and the city. Use every week that house that gives money to the northeast of the gem mine too.

-Always recruit Peasants for the extra money and you can always train them into Archers (and upgrade them into Marksmen if you have the money) for more fun.
-If you build the last level for the magic tower, you will get Town Portal, that will allow your hero to explore all the map with your whole army and always be able to be back at home to defend the city (as long as he has 20mps).
-Angels/Archangels are good and i try to get them but Paladins are better option if you have to choose. Markmen, Imperial Griffins and Inquisitors are also good options.
-The Alquemist Lab is important, the crystal mine isn't.
-Once you build The Tears of Asha, the attacks form the portals become more random so you will have more time to build/recruit&explore... but don't get too confident.
-Auto battle: sometimes can save your butt if you lack the skill. I'm using it sometimes in Heroic and not because i lose, but because it saves me troops (what means that i'm still a newbie ^_^).
-Ignore the underground, not worthy the effort (although you can do it for fun if you have Town Portal).
-Learn to use chains of Heroes, be it for fast troop transport or other tasks. It can save you some turns and every turn counts.

So... is that enough advice from a newbie* to other newbies? I have played the first scenario six times i only had to reload like 3 times the first time i played, and repeat the first battles in the Hard difficulty the first time i played it. The map knowledge helps, of course, but once you work your way in the first invasions, the rest is cakewalk if you work well. Still, i read that after Inferno campaign, maps are hell... *shivers with fear*

* i have only played Heroes II and could only defeat the comp in the most easy level (not that i played so much anyways).

Sylvanus234
04-22-2006, 07:17 AM
Well I have played Heroes 3 around 5 years ago and didn't get heroes 4 because I didn't like the look.

Playing this the first time on normal difficulty was quite hard at first because I didn't know any of the abilities of the units and the city building order of things. You would learn this though doing the full game campaign.

After I worked out all the abilities and spells for the haven and demon races it became alot easier. I still did manage to get godric killed a few times as well when he was exploring the map and getting ambushed or me attacking netural creatures and not knowing what they were or did http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The first few city assults did destroy me but once I got the hang of the above it was easy. Just give it time and you get use to it and will laugh when you totally slaughter the demon army.

Sylvanus234
04-22-2006, 10:34 AM
If you want to have a true hard time in the demo, keep checking the tavern for a Necro hero. All haven units under the leadership of a Necromancer will get negative moral and luck.

Add it on a harder difficulty with the necromancer and prepare to have some fun, I sure did http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JackeOne
04-23-2006, 12:54 PM
I finaly managed to log in with my account.
I must say I have to rethink this.
I made the mistake to defend the castle with Godric.
I discoverd this mistake by myself when I had the idea to check the levels of my heroes (should have come up with this earlier) and I managed to defeat the first siege.
After this it was quite easy, especially after finding the Tears of Asha.
So afterall I completed this mission in my third or fourth try.
The inferno mission is even more easy as I just run thru the hole map and defeated the inferno opponent quite easy eventhough he has far more units, but my heroe was just stronger.

But still I must say I have no idea how to complete the scenario map, but I will maybe try it a couple of more times and I dwill definetly buy the game although I would have buyed it as well even if I was still losing the heaven mission all the time.

bkchaplin
04-23-2006, 10:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by marius50:
Seriously the game starts easy but then once you get isabel and the castle you have 2 days before the evil hero comes up with (get this) 5 Freegn devils and 1 million other creatures </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I personally have found it insanely hard as well. I have played all the HOMMs from 1 through 4. None of them were anywhere near this difficult on the easy settings even if you were deaf, dumb, and blind. Granted smart AI is one thing, but this is just heavy hitting armies coming in crazy unexpected waves.

Yeah it is possible to get through if you know PRECISELY what to do, where to go, what to buy...

But the only way I know that is by saving and replaying the mission over and over and over and over.... I just got done blowing 2 hours, got mad, and came to check out the boards.

Glad to see I am not the only one who thinks it is a LOT on the frustrating side of things.

H5forem
04-24-2006, 01:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sylvanus234:
If you want to have a true hard time in the demo, keep checking the tavern for a Necro hero. All haven units under the leadership of a Necromancer will get negative moral and luck.

Add it on a harder difficulty with the necromancer and prepare to have some fun, I sure did http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did to.. and I rised +1800 skeletons, and with Werewolf Claw Necklace and Frenzy I delivered +6000 damage... (the Archangels did +9000), but still...

15% for expert necromancy is to low.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif make-it at least 20