PDA

View Full Version : Programs for Movie Making

XyZspineZyX
10-19-2003, 06:26 PM
Can you guys post a list of what you use and then give me a url of where to find it? Thx

Boosher-PBNA
----------------
<center>It's your fault... <center>
Boosher-ProudBirds-VFW
http://www.uploadit.org/files/220903-Boosher%20Sig.jpg

XyZspineZyX
10-19-2003, 06:26 PM
Can you guys post a list of what you use and then give me a url of where to find it? Thx

Boosher-PBNA
----------------
Boosher-ProudBirds-VFW

XyZspineZyX
10-19-2003, 08:22 PM
Boosher,

I will be posting a list of Utilities that may be helpful please watch the forums.

Viper

<table style="filter:glow[color=red, strength=3"><tr><td> <font color=white>Viper
Commanding Officer VMF-513
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"
Ubi Movie Maker Forum Moderator
Virtual War Cinema Admin

</font></td></tr></table>

XyZspineZyX
10-19-2003, 10:45 PM
Until then here's what I use:

Recording/capturing: Fraps 19D - www.fraps.com (http://www.fraps.com) - Freeware

Video editing: Adobe Premier 6.0 - www.adobe.com (http://www.adobe.com) - Trial 30 days

I'm looking at Adobe After Effects 6.0 but at the moment I got my hands full learning Premiere.
Also when I get the chance I'll go get Premiere Pro (latest version) as it has alot of added functionality and simplified actions.

I tried out Ulead MediaMedia Studio Pro 7.0 (video editing + more)and it has alot of nice and automated features but in the end quality takes a hit.
I'd say that MediaCenter and Premiere is like Paintshop Pro and Photoshop - PSP is good and cheap but if you want the real deal then PS is the one.

Premiere can be tough to start your movie making career with but it's the best out there.

One word on fraps as a capture/recording utility. It's great as it sucks up minimal resources and gives u a raw avi-file of what u record.
The freeware version got some limitations though - it doesn't record sound and res is max 640x480.
If u got the money u can get version 2 which records sound and supports 1024.

Vengeanze

XyZspineZyX
10-20-2003, 02:26 AM
Fraps to capture your replays to avi

Adobe Premiere 7 Pro for ediing

or Windows Movie Maker

or Video Factory 2.0

or Vegas Video

Beta tester for;
C&C Generals,Independance War 2, Starfleet Command 2,Settlers IV, Tzar, Allegiance, Starfleet Command,MAX 2, Defiance

XyZspineZyX
10-20-2003, 01:45 PM
Hi Boosher

Hey that's has already been discussed /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif but not here je je je... Boosher this forum has just started but if you take a look at Virtual War Cinema you'll find that Viper's guys are well ahead of ubi on this subject.

http://www.blacksheepwebdesign.net/VirtualWarCinema/viewtopic.php?t=33&highlight=

Good flight to you !

XyZspineZyX
10-20-2003, 03:42 PM
jagaetev, your anit-ubi sentiment is showing.

Just to tease u some, here's da fresh no. of post from both forums:

UBI Soft Movie Maker forum: 308

Virtual War Cinema forum: 375

If u take in account that this board was opened 7 days ago u can clearly see the trend.
/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Edit: Forgot to say that the sig-test posts are included in VWC's number above.

Vengeanze

Message Edited on 10/20/0304:44PM by Vengeanze

XyZspineZyX
10-20-2003, 06:19 PM
If you want the full screen movies, dont use fraps. 1 it doesnt film the whole screen (thats my exp with it). 2 to me it seems too framy. It also tends to cause lagging. 3rd the resolution your screen has to be in really stinks. 640X480.

If your video card has audio/ video RCA outs, and you have a video camera adapter for your comp and a VCR . You can use the A/ V outs, hook them up to a VCRs A/ V in RCA connectors and record away.
Next, take your VCR hook it to your video camera adapter, and use the editing program to record your movie from your VCR.

Then use your video editing program to piece it all together, and save it in the video format you want.

Might sound a bit lengthy but it will turn out.

Recording using your video card and vcr is just like hooking up another monitor, and it does not lag your system nor does it require you to drop your resolution.

Message Edited on 10/20/0312:24PM by CO_Eagle_31stFG

XyZspineZyX
10-20-2003, 07:53 PM
Hi Vengeanze good to see that we're starting to know each other /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Since we are talking about numbers let me guess what the number of usefull thread is:

Ubi's Movie Maker 2 (well maybe there are 3 /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif and all of them posted by VWC members wich i should say are among the best movie makers 8) Scragbat, Davinci, NTESLA, UCLANUPE, MysticPuma, BPond and the most productive one in the last six months)

VWC at least 70 % of all the thread posted 8)

No but seriously i have nothing against this forum except that newbies think this is like a heaven full of knowledge in the mid of great sea of ignorance on the web.

Ubi's site is not the only one discussing Sturmovik's subject and i would say that it's far from been the most usefull of all.

As i don't wanna to contribute to the whinning that this forum is full of, this will be my last reference to this subject. I will in the future avoid to make comments that could hurt ubi's fans /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif and just say to newbies to go check VWC.

Anyway it was nice to talk to you in a "civilized" way and i offer you my apologies if my "tone" was a bit agressive.

Good flight to you !

XyZspineZyX
10-21-2003, 04:01 AM
The full version of FRAPS saves full resolution or 1/2 size of resolution.

Beta tester for;
C&C Generals,Independance War 2, Starfleet Command 2,Settlers IV, Tzar, Allegiance, Starfleet Command,MAX 2, Defiance

XyZspineZyX
10-21-2003, 09:36 PM
What can I record with getting a full screen of 1024 by 768 pixel resolution? What's the best program for free?

Boosher-PBNA
----------------
Boosher-ProudBirds-VFW

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 05:56 AM
Boosher-PBNA wrote:
- What can I record with getting a full screen of 1024
- by 768 pixel resolution? What's the best program for
- free?
-
- Boosher-PBNA
-----------------

hi boosher,

you might give "windows-media-encoder 9" a chance. it's available for free at the microsoft "windows media"-site.
the program is quite capable of nearly all kinds of recording, claims even be doing a good live-stream (which i haven't tried out yet) it looks quite professional, the usual "wizard" can be proceeded and optimized afterwards. though the several custom-settings are not presented in a lucky way, especially several dependencies between them. the output is always in .wmv-format, but allows uncompressed recording.
for me the disadvantages are the proprietary wmv-format (i don't like proprietary formats :-)) and the "slowliness" of the program. it takes ages to start and demands lots of ressources (compared to "fraps2" i suffered a lot more drop-frames) the wmv-format can be changed to avi for further uncompressed editing with "graphedit", and it seems that more and more tools can handle wmv. but in anyway, the "media-encoder" could be a better choice, if avi-output was available (well, seems not to be in favor of the 'promotional' idea then :-))
for those who will prefer the "wmv9"-compression anyway, it's a good program for screenies... (premiere6.5 can handle wmv) personally i think, the "wmv9"-codec is excellent, but even when it will be opened for other containers, i feel the "divx5" being better in colour-control, less blurriness and controllability - but, well, it's not free... (i hope, the "xvid"-final will come as announced)

deepo

ps:
just to mention: i was quite annoyed about the slow compression of divx5.1... to me it seems, that compressing-rate can be nearly doubled, when disabling all windows and graphs in the (else nice) feed-back window of the codec. anyone else made a similar experience, or anyone yet tried the "divx5.11beta" (which is said to be 50% faster)?

Message Edited on 10/22/0306:01AM by le_deepo

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2003, 09:40 PM
Media Studio Pro 7 (with xvid encoder)
After Effects 6

'nuff said!

<center>http://www.aqqm31.dsl.pipex.com/Mysticpuma.jpg