PDA

View Full Version : Speed in TDC?

banzai_billy
03-15-2007, 01:19 PM
I never seem to be able to get it right, what is the trick to doing it?
I pressed the button, wait ten seconds, but unclick but my torpedoes never go anywhere near the target

banzai_billy
03-15-2007, 01:19 PM
I pressed the button, wait ten seconds, but unclick but my torpedoes never go anywhere near the target

HeibgesU999
03-15-2007, 06:01 PM
You are using Manual TDC then?

At least in the early part of the war, you can use the Matching Speed Method.

1. Find Target
2. Identify Target Course
3. Match your course to target's.
4. Adjust your speed until there is no change of bearing.

This is the target's speed.

Foehammer-1
03-15-2007, 07:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by banzai_billy:
I pressed the button, wait ten seconds, but unclick but my torpedoes never go anywhere near the target </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you do the TDC method, make sure you press the button above the speed dial so it is green. Now you can manually plug in speed. If, however, you use the periscope and notepad method, leave the button red. You have to lock your view on the target, and get the speed and AoB beforehand. That should do the trick. Oh, and don't forget to press the check mark twice, cause it sometimes doesn't work from the first try for me.... Hope that helps

aaronblood
03-15-2007, 07:19 PM
Don't use the notepad...

Goto the TDC and set the target speed at 6kts. If it's a merchant moving slow, that's the right speed. If it's moving medium... 9-10 is about right.

If you're trying to estimate speed using the eyeball/distance/scope-observation-angle method then an inaccurate AoB or distance measurement can totally blow it for you.

Something interesting to keep in mind when solving for a firing solution: distance doesn't matter, as long as you got the speed and AoB correct!

I'll say it again... distance does not matter. That's why one proper TDC solution for a single ship in a convoy is the correct solution for ANY ship in the convoy.

A constant bearing solution doesn't care about distance. The only reason you're even trying to solve for it in the game is to try to ESTIMATE SPEED! and 9 outta 10 times you know what speed the target is moving at (6kts!).

The only thing you really gotta be good at as a captain is estimating AoB. That's where you should focus your attention.