PDA

View Full Version : Photo Recon Madness.. Please Help!

Jaydock1953
12-13-2008, 11:57 AM
Photo Recon Madness .. Please Help!

It seems that I don't know how to take a blasted picture. I am on the second mission of the game. Have been for about a week. Stuck in Tokyo harbor trying to snap pictures of the ten (10) ships that are docked there. So I snake my way around the harbor, starting at around 1130 in the a.m. when I have good sunlight. I am using my attack periscope just above the surface trying to be just as sneaky as a paranoid mouse. Then I click on the little movie camera looking thing. Lock on the enemy tanker or what have you, and then click on the little camera looking icon on the far left side of the screen. By the way, every time I click the little camera icon it does the same thing that the F-11 key does. Which is to say that it gives me a supper top side view of my scope slipping through the harbor. What's up with that?

Ending my little sneaky picture taking mission, I end up at the camera icon posted just below Tokyo harbor at around 1430, fully intending to slip south to deep water to wait for darkness before slipping the heck out of Doge. Right? Wrong.

According to my petrol status sheet I have not completed the recon. What in the world am I doing wrong? It seems as if I am not taking any pictures at all. If you guys can't educate me on the way to get those pictures I may never see mission three. I am an old hand of SH3, but this picture taking thing has got me all kinds of frazzled. So if you would be so kind, explain it to me like you are talking to a six year old kid. Maybe I'll understand it then. Just start from scratch and walk me through it.

By the way, you all seem to be a fine bunch of players, and I am super happy that I found this sight. I have a great WW2 sub book that I found the other day on ebay for a buck. It's amazing to think what those guys went through. They sunk three Jap subs, with a torpedo stuck in one of their own tubs. True story called, IN THE COURSE OF DATY. If you haven't done so, you might like to check it out. Seems like it will be some story to hear about. Just thought I would mention it as a thank you.

Vlaba
12-13-2008, 12:06 PM
Sounds as if your using the wrong icons. You must get close enough to lock a target, which you did, but the photo is taken from the camera icon on the right side when your at periscope station. Your selecting the external view instead of the camera. So, select a periscope from the command bar, find a target, lock it, then press the camera icon on the right. It only takes one picture to complete the recon. If it is grayed out, you haven't got close enough or locked the target yet. Also make sure your using either the u-boat expansion 1.5 version, or have patched to 1.4. That will eliminate a lot of bugs in general. There is a manual in pdf format under the game root directory. It's poor, but may help. There's also a guide to completing missions in the tips sticky of this forum.

Vlaba

f14driver
12-13-2008, 12:31 PM
One piece of advice, use the observation periscope for the recon missions.
The buttun vlaba describes is the most right one when you are looking through the observation periscope

Yooperbacker
12-13-2008, 12:33 PM
Hello Jaydock1953,

Welcome to the SH4 Forum.

If you click here (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6421019045/m/3381079976?r=3381079976#3381079976) it will take you to a post that explains how to do a photo recon and it has pictures to help show how it is done.

KytherianEagle
12-13-2008, 01:39 PM
One last tip... You don't need to take a photo of ALL the ships in the harbour, 2-4 photos should be fine.

dgrayson
12-14-2008, 06:19 AM
Hey Jaydock1953! Welcome to the forum.

All the advice you have been given so far is excellent, but there is a problem with some of the actual missions themselves. For example, the Dalian mission cannot be completed in the stock game. The Photo Yellow Sea 01.mis file is FUBAR. Here is a link to my Photo Recon Fix MOD Linky (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6421019045/m/7391059166).

Enable it with JSGME or just copy all the folders to the C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\Data\Campaigns\Campaign\PatrolObjectives folder.

Dave