PDA

View Full Version : PC Servers?

BDSilDuce
02-20-2006, 01:34 PM
I just picked up the game, love it for the most part but the MP is just odd. Maybe 5-10 servers to connect to, Pings are all out of wack and nobody on them. Tried looking up info on this but really couldn't find much hope. Any comments or info would be appreciated! Thanks.

athenian
02-20-2006, 01:52 PM
Wells as of right now the only dedicated servers are from what people are doing from their own homes because there are NO stand alone dedicated server files released. Therefore in order for server companies to host LD (like places like Dallas, Chicago, main hubs, etc.) they must install a supported GFX card and then can only host one game per server which costs a ton of money. That is why pings are all jacked up. NO STAND ALONE DEDICATED SERVER FILES=NO GOOD DEDICATED SERVERS=NO ONLINE GAMES=GAME DISAPPEARS. As does the R6 franchise along with it. Sad really. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif All i know is nUBI is putting alot of faith into GRAW. You know what they say about putting all your eggs in one basket. If that game tanks like LD has theres gonna be some fallout as far as the PC gaming community that is.

BDSilDuce
02-20-2006, 01:55 PM
Damn, that doesn't sound good for the future of this game. I really had my hopes up too. Thanks for the info that was exactly what I was looking for as to what was going on (not what I hoped to hear though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif )

PimP_STAF
02-20-2006, 02:03 PM
While that is right, there is a problem

I have my server hosted on Fiber. Dual OC-3 with 50k cap per connection (way more than enough). I get a 48 ping to the server via Windows ping. But a 300 ping in game. It plays liek a 48 ping, jhust wont appear as one. I think the server viewer is messed up bad, ant it is reporting bogus pings. I've never warped once on my server and it say i ping 300.

athenian
02-20-2006, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by PimP_STAF:
While that is right, there is a problem

I have my server hosted on Fiber. Dual OC-3 with 50k cap per connection (way more than enough). I get a 48 ping to the server via Windows ping. But a 300 ping in game. It plays liek a 48 ping, jhust wont appear as one. I think the server viewer is messed up bad, ant it is reporting bogus pings. I've never warped once on my server and it say i ping 300.

Glad to hear it. Now what is your server name? I think the ping reported is the ping to the UBI server stuff not the actual game server. But like I was saying I don't think 1 or 2 even ten servers like your could sustain a decent sized online community. It is just not feasible for the majority of clans/people to host the way things are right now. BTw where is your server located?

PimP_STAF
02-20-2006, 05:12 PM
My server is on a Univeristy netwok in Western NY (Rochester). Since there is no join by IP, the easiest way to join is add "STAF_Server" to your friends list. Join my server in its own lobby that way.

The server is very robust, p4 3.0 gh w/ HT and 1 gig of ram. This is the only thing active on that box. Just to let you knwo it is old school rules, no respawn, no classes, aka no ****

D_Freelancer
02-21-2006, 12:37 AM
Aren't Ubi even going to release some stand alone servers like they did with say the Official Euro servers in Ravenshield.

If they are not going to do it I'll tell my whole clan to ditch the idea of buying as it will just be a waste of money and then I'll take my copy back to the shops http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

MLW_Cow
02-21-2006, 06:59 AM
This thread explains a lot of your questions.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8081011862/m/5251042114

FI_FlimFlam
02-21-2006, 07:36 AM
First off, the server browser is broken and not all servers show all of the time.

Second, they have provided what they believe is a dedicated server program. It requries a compatible graphics card to run. There-in lies most teams' problems with hosting a server. Second is the in-ability to host multiple servers on the same box, prevent a team from hosting 2, 3, or more servers.

When I start up the game and look at the server browser I get only one page of servers or about 25 servers. That is really pathetic for a new game. My team, would have tossed up 3 or 4 servers if we would have been able to. But because of the graphics card requirement and the limitation to 1 game server per box we are only running 1. And that is from a home connection NOT our colocated box.

There are a whole host of other issues but those 2 are the biggest reasons you don't see more servers. Now as the game starts to settle in, the question will be how many servers of those 25 to 50 will stick around. I think I'm being gracious with the 50 estimate because some servers are probably not showing in their broken server browser.

Lets face it, a multiplayer game lives and dies by it's servers and unless they do something about the Dedicated Server it won't last too long.

moose_knuckle
02-21-2006, 08:26 AM
I've put up a dedictaed server called "Dedicated -PsB", the UBI name is dns_server. Feel free to join anytime.

Server Setup
Autolaunch = 20
gameType = Team Adversarial
gameName = Dedicated - PsB
maxPlayers = 14
isRanked = no
allowRespawns = no
numRounds = 10
timeLimit = 240
scoreLimit = 0
autoTeams = no
allowClasses = no
allowReticule = yes
punkBuster = yes

And yes, the server is streaming http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

moose_knuckle
02-21-2006, 08:44 PM
Update: Server has been running for almost 12 hours, no issues so far.