PDA

View Full Version : Question/suggestion on healing system.

ajensl
10-10-2007, 03:05 AM
Hi all, new here. Loved Far Cry, still play the MP quite a bit. Been following the development of FC2 casually for awhile, and love what I'm seeing so far (esp. healing system)
Question for the developers, or anyone who knows in fact:
Will the healing system of pulling out shrapnel/bullets/dirty hypodermics actually "restore health". I know that FC2 won't operate on a '%' based health system (excellent idea and reasoning!), but is the idea that removing that giant shard of flaming hot metal from your lower intestine will return you to a status quo, or will it just stop you dying in the next minute or so and then you can better yourself later by using medkits/Mama's old family remedy for curing infected bullet wounds?

Which brings me to my next point; a suggestion of sorts. In the video posted on the blog about healing, it was mentioned that there would be three 'states' to tell the player their general health. Firstly: How will this be represented? (I've heard of the sky darkening when you're getting pwned, which sounds very atmospheric. But I can hardly see it suddenly changing every 5 minutes when you're in a firefight.) And, would it be possible/better to implement more than just three states? Maybe one or two more, just to give a marginally more accurate representation of how heroic/daring/stupid you can be. I'm all in favour of dashing between cover a la war movies, but with just three states it may be a little hard to tell whether I'd make it or not.

bongomast3r
10-10-2007, 05:44 AM
Hi.

I don't know with 100% certainty, but I'm pretty sure, so I'll give my take on your first question. The only way to heal is with the animations or more gradually over time. The healing animation is done with the press of a button, which will restore a fair chunk of your health (not back to full health though, I don't think). So it's useful if you can squeeze one in while you're in that 'third state' of health.

About your second point, the sky darkening is about the 'moody weather', based on how well you're performing, not specifically what your health is at. I think it's gonna be more like a gathering haze in the outer field of your vision, raised heartrate, etc, which indicates the state of your health. (ie. red-tinted fuzzy vision=critical).

There are my answers until you get more reliable ones, but I think I'm kinda onto it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.