PDA

View Full Version : Ask the brand manager of Splinter Cell Conviction questions!

Ubi_Rickas
08-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Hi all,

In this thread you will get the chance to ask the brand manager from Ubisoft UK questions about how the business here in the UK is run.

Please note this is strictly for business type questions. All questions will be considered but not all will be answered.

To start off here is a quick introduction:

What exactly is your job role and how does it relate to The Tom Clancy Franchise?

My job role is to champion the Tom Clancy franchise within the UK internally and externally.

Internally this means coordinating a well balanced Marketing campaign/timeline across all departments including Media, Trade, PR, Sales and Community through the positioning of the product, setting the objectives and managing the budget to achieve those objectives. Basically all this is honed to maximize sell in & buzz at launch to drive sell through. It is imperative that each department has the tools to achieve this and an important part of the role is to act as the go between from the head office in Paris and the UK office.

Externally the role means maximizing opportunities with partnerships and supporting departments in external activities such as road shows, event participation, retail presentations/conferences, community tournaments, guerilla marketing etc...

How did you get to where you are today? What courses do you recommend for those wishing to follow a similar career path?

My path was one of hard graft.

Although I didn't really know what I wanted to do at 18, when I finished my A-Levels, I got a job at the 2nd Game store which opened in Birmingham in 1990. I had loved games since the age of 10 and it was jsut natural to want to work in something I loved. After 9 months as a shop floor assistant my passion & knowledge of games was noted and I became the Games Department buyer the largest in the UK. Those were the days of Monkey Island, Turtles, Kick Off 2, Red Storm Rising, Dizzy this, Dizzy that, Master System, NES, Amstrad GX 4000 anyone, with the 16-bit machines just about to break hugely exciting times. But the real love was to get into publishing and since then I have climbed the ladder through Merchandising, Sales and now Marketing, learning along the way within publishers including US Gold, Acclaim and now Ubisoft.

I would recommend securing a Degree at University and these days there are gaming specific degrees available but there is nothing wrong with taking this alternative route as long as you're willing to put the hours in. In fact the experience I have under my belt from the shop floor to the heady heights of Senior Brand Manager has really set me in good stead and offered a real understanding when communicating to all levels of people about games from the consumer to the boss.

Describe a typical day at work

Always different really. No day is typical either so a difficult question to answer.

Some key activities today included...

Morning
-answer emails from Sales, Trade, Community, God, PR, EMEA.

-meeting with INTEL & PIPEX to discuss partnership at Multiplay i31 & Fuse 07, communicate this to European Brand Manager and ensure attendance by GRAW2 PC Producer

-confirm dates for meetings with Free Radical Design (Haze developers) including Sony, Trade and their attendance at EIEF

-read through an interesting Bloomberg article saying Ubisoft are basically the dogs...

-check the release schedule and that all my products dates are correct and request final confirmation on Settlers 6 release date from Paris

-read through the latest Frag Dolls newsletter / update on forum discussions

Lunch

-Chicken and Sweetcorn baguette, Cheese and onion crisp, Snicker, Cola really healthy I know.

-Pro Evo

Afternoon

- check emails and answer answers to this mornings answers.

- update Naruto Mktg plan and budget breakdown, with the latest media plan and ensure departments have updated their parts

- arrange meeting with Marketing Director to run through Naruto and Settlers 6 media plan and get approval to book

- confirm meeting with GamerTV in a few weeks for update on what they are doing

- call Warfighters to arrange for army camo netting, ammo boxes and sand bags to go to Multiplay i31 as discussed this morning, to dress the GRAW2 PC demo stand

- request banner assets from Paris to promote the 2nd August launch of the GRAW PS3 demo on PS Store brief media agency with budget to target PS3 gaming channels online

- check back of box including text, age ratings, specs etc... for Settlers 6 and change where applicable

- setup up internal meeting with GameStadium a new concept for a gaming arena in Bournemouth

-Export wish us to present in a couple of weeks to their Greek distributor so confirm date and time

-Andy the sales guy needs Naruto code for Play,com meeting tomorrow so sign out

So get your questions in and once a week they will be answered and the replies will be added to this thread

NuclearDragon
08-03-2007, 12:09 PM
-what is your role on the community side of splintercell?
-how do you get into contact with splintercell gamers?
-as brand manager, do you have influence on the direction the series takes, or is that up to the game designers/story writers?
-in hindsight, what things could have been done better with scda's marketing/distribution/positioning nd (how) will errors, if any, be corrected for scc?
-who should i contact if i want to organize a large scc tournament with prizes?

Iservealot
08-04-2007, 02:43 PM
Are releasing community development tools for games (like level editors) an important decision making process at Ubisoft? Do you guys spend much time (if any) considering a release of an SDK or level editor for a game before it's release? How important are community development tools to Ubisoft in general? What are the odds of getting development tools post launch for games like Splinter Cell?

Stealth_chill
08-04-2007, 09:53 PM
1) does ubisoft read the communities suggestions
2) will we ever see a return of spy vs. merc
3) there is a new splinter cell game made every year. but even though each game has been developed for like three years, shouldn't each game be released every 2 years or more? his way we can have some time to be excited for the next game,also to give youu more time to polish the game?

EvilSpark1
08-05-2007, 10:01 AM
1)when we are see new screns,gameplay videos Splinter Cell Conviction about 10-15 min?
2) Konami on side PS3 and take MGS4 only exclusive on PS3,and you on side X360? You take SCC only exclusive on X360 (and PC)(i wish coz i owner X360 and PC)?
3)How your love part Splinter Cell?
Wait answer

Sylentz
08-05-2007, 08:21 PM
Do you know if you make a PlayStation 2 version of SCC and if you are or going to when will it come out (for the PS2 version).

kevin8998
08-06-2007, 07:24 PM
lol how come are questions arent being answered?

Vth_F_Smith_
08-07-2007, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by kevin8998:
lol how come are questions arent being answered? Brand Managers are usually pretty busy persons! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Jackie Fiest
08-07-2007, 10:13 AM
It was said the questions would be answered once a week. This thread was only created four days ago.

Assassin_411
08-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Ah patience....

Stealth_chill
08-07-2007, 01:49 PM
what will i do for a week!!! *turns on youtube* COCOLATE RAAAAAIIINNN!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Knot3D
08-08-2007, 12:25 PM
This is my golden opportunity ! Ok Here's the big question :

If Ubisoft is so confident and proud about Conviction's innovation, fun and quality..... then why not do away the Splinter Cell name for this game and do away with the Sam Fisher character ?
Why not start this game as a new franchise titled "Third Echelon Ghost | Conviction" ? ( SC DA's ending is open as open can be and Conviction could easily star another character from the 3rd Echelon universe )

Splinter Cell Double Agent Xbox1 could have been an honourable end. So again i ask you, Brand Manager ; Why not start a clean slate with Conviction in name, instead of milking out that trademark/copyrighted Splinter Cell name ?

CoastalGirl
08-08-2007, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Knot3D:
Why not start a clean slate with Conviction in name, instead of milking out that trademark/copyrighted Splinter Cell name ?
An excellent question that I would also like to know the answer to. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

samfisher425
08-09-2007, 10:11 PM
1.Does the fact that EA has 20-25% of voting rights change anything or might change the way things are run with splinter cell.

2. Any reason for making the multiplayer worse in Double Agent and as it looks like in less of a focus in Convictions.

osborne10
08-10-2007, 07:06 PM
what are the cinematics going to be like?gameplay engine or like a movie type kind.i like it both ways ,most of the time

Sylentz
08-11-2007, 06:02 PM
If they change the name then no one would probably be intrested in it. If there is anything that the creators and those who helped with The Splinter Cell games is how to be patient.

Stealth_chill
08-12-2007, 01:45 AM
its been a week........

kevin8998
08-12-2007, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Stealth_chill:
its been a week........

Ya i was gonna say that too...its been a week.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

RedemptionX
08-12-2007, 06:05 PM
Did you guys not see his daily schedule?..now doing this every day for a week..probably doesn't leavve him much time to answer questions - just be patient.

toemando
08-12-2007, 07:26 PM
is the scc going to be as laggy as splinter cell D.A mutiplayer

lochang19
08-12-2007, 10:43 PM
Don't worry guys, they'll release the answers along with the 1.3 DA patch.

BurningDeath.
08-13-2007, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by Stealth_chill:
its been a week........
It's Ubisoft.

kevin8998
08-15-2007, 01:06 PM
...its been WAY OVER a week

sweet_leaf1983
08-15-2007, 08:31 PM
What has happen to Splinter Cell it was a great game then the last one came out not to hot.....Then i see this new one SCC and the way it looks another let down what happen to Sam i miss the old days where in the game he had to sneak around and kill people that made the game fun!!!! and someone else said why not change the name because like u said no-one would probably buy it come on we are devoted fans here plz bring back the old sam fisher no1 said u had to change the game up. I Hate change when u got something good roll with it......

SPROGGY
08-16-2007, 11:17 AM
Ive got to be honest here, Ubisoft isnt setting a very good example. If one of their employees shows up on the forum and fails to respond to a conversation HE INITIATES, then what kind of support should we expect for any problems that WE may encounter with Conviction?

It is not difficult to pop into this forum once a week, I dont care what you do for a living. I have spoken to friends online who are in Afghanistan for Christs sake. There is no good excuse for snubbing the community yet again.

Sure he may show up and answer our questions eventually. But thats not what he said he would do is it? We were told once a week......its now been two.

Chinese_Bookey
08-16-2007, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Ubi_Rickas:
Morning
-answer emails from Sales, Trade, Community, <span class="ev_code_RED">God</span>, PR, EMEA.
That is a typo. It should say Beelzebub.

EskimoBob32
08-18-2007, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by deepego3:
Ive got to be honest here, Ubisoft isnt setting a very good example. If one of their employees shows up on the forum and fails to respond to a conversation HE INITIATES, then what kind of support should we expect for any problems that WE may encounter with Conviction?

It is not difficult to pop into this forum once a week, I dont care what you do for a living. I have spoken to friends online who are in Afghanistan for Christs sake. There is no good excuse for snubbing the community yet again.

Sure he may show up and answer our questions eventually. But thats not what he said he would do is it? We were told once a week......its now been two. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

doubleagentHKK
08-19-2007, 03:19 PM
These questions might be a little late but it's worth a shot!

-When marketing games such as Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six and other Ubi Soft titles, do you create a plan on how to market the game when it nears release?

-Could you compare the marketing 10 years ago to the marketing today in video games?

-Do the hardcore and casual video game communities affect the way you market the Tom Clancy games?

-To you target certain audiences when marketing games?

-Your favorite soccer team? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Many thanks if you can answer my questions! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Ubi_Rickas
08-20-2007, 08:11 AM
Sorry for the lack of posts. But as mentioned by another forum member Brand managers are very busy! I will try and bug them some more for answers to your questions

osborne10
08-20-2007, 01:25 PM
okay, thank you.

Stealth_chill
08-20-2007, 04:17 PM
im having de javu! *caugh*DLC*caugh*

SPROGGY
08-21-2007, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Ubi_Rickas:
Sorry for the lack of posts. But as mentioned by another forum member Brand managers are very busy!

Give me a break..... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

kevin8998
08-22-2007, 08:03 PM
...going on 3 weeks...And btw it only takes less than an hour to jump online and answer questions...

osborne10
08-25-2007, 05:16 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

Brownsnakeeyes
08-25-2007, 05:28 PM
I have a couple questions.

My first question is, what have you seen or heard of about the single player or multi player that's going to keep our interest four-six months after the release and beyond?

In a given situation how many option will the player have to escape from the police/ bad guys?

As for MP, if the teams will be two on two then will there be some kind of clan support? If so will there be an amount to the actual team? Like maybe eight people per clan.

I do have one idea that could possibly be a good thing for the mp. Having ranks for this mp game would be a fine idea, but at a certain stage in your rank you should be required to be some kind of teacher. I'm not sure how this could be put in but it could improve every players ability and there for increase the skill level needed to win a match.

Chizmata
08-26-2007, 11:08 AM
i like the concept of the new splinter cell, and i wanna play it. but i also dont wanna miss the old gameplay. what are you gonna do for me?

ps: this thread is purely hilarious if nobody answers.

SPROGGY
08-26-2007, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by cool_keith_303:
ps: this thread is purely hilarious if nobody answers.

Prepare to laugh....

osborne10
08-27-2007, 07:24 AM
Michael Ironside ?

Sonkev
08-28-2007, 04:04 PM
1. Isn't the Bourne series copyrighted?

2. The games multiplayer became popular through SvM, will you bring the *good* SvM back?

3. Why do you make me so sad?

I don't mind how long it takes to make the game, I will pay $100 for SvM...

marinius
08-29-2007, 03:40 AM
Just noticed this thread at the Assassin's Creed forums:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/7821045975/p/6

Rickas is no longer with Ubisoft apparently. Might explain why no questions are answered...

Jinx FD
08-29-2007, 10:32 AM
Marinius is correct. Rickas is pursuing opportunities outside Ubisoft and isn't managing this task anymore. It's still on our radar and we want to work more on this, but I'm going to unsticky this thread since it's not something we can handle immediately.

kevin8998
08-29-2007, 07:11 PM
...wow...well that really sucks....

lochang19
08-29-2007, 07:15 PM
Yes, the logistics of compiling three pages of questions, which probably contain only 6-8 legit questions, and emailing them to this dude must really be an insurmountable task for anyone other than Rickas to accomplish.

kevin8998
08-29-2007, 07:21 PM
well...no offense but i dont think its ubisoft's fault...this rickis guy is probably an a-hole.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

SPROGGY
08-29-2007, 09:17 PM
Im just glad that have a somewhat legitimate excuse for blowing us off this time.

EskimoBob32
08-29-2007, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by kevin8998:
well...no offense but i dont think its ubisoft's fault...this rickis guy is probably an a-hole.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
You're basing that on the fact that he is no longer working for Ubisoft. That's a pretty big call.

But I do find it strange that he would begin tasks like this if he had intentions of quitting, at least without making sure someone else was up to speed first. Perhaps he was let go?

SPROGGY
08-30-2007, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by EskimoBob32:
Perhaps he was let go?

That would be my first assumption given the circumstances.

marinius
08-31-2007, 01:24 AM
Yes, he probably got the boot after making this thread promising people answers from a ficticious brand manager...

locsphere12
09-05-2007, 09:50 PM
here a question I have always wondered. How are sales and success monitored. Does the Distributor of the game see how many stores have ordered The single title to account for success. or is it monitored by store sales alone and reviews. Always wondered this. pluis how much does it cost to come out and distribute on such a large scale.

jman99
09-10-2007, 12:06 AM
is convictions limited to xbox and pc or will it branch out to the ps3 (PLease GOD PLEASE)

Jackie Fiest
09-10-2007, 12:16 AM
This has been answered at length. ConViction will be 360/PC exclusive.

DrCactus
09-10-2007, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by lochang19:
Yes, the logistics of compiling three pages of questions, which probably contain only 6-8 legit questions, and emailing them to this dude must really be an insurmountable task for anyone other than Rickas to accomplish.

BWAHAHAHAHHAHAHA... oh god. How does no one else find this funny. Oh man...

Aj6627
09-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by DrCactus:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lochang19:

BWAHAHAHAHHAHAHA... oh god. How does no one else find this funny. Oh man... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, now that I read this thread again, I find it quite funny.

I agree that he was probably let go, seeing as there is no goodbye thread or anything like Rhoulette posted when she left to go back to college.

SPROGGY
09-12-2007, 09:52 PM
More classic Ubisoft Lameness.......

EskimoBob32
09-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Why is this thread still open and active?

Sonkev
09-13-2007, 02:08 PM
I cant believe how the community still likes Ubisoft...

We are treated so terrible compared to other competitve companies

pietjevlip
10-14-2007, 05:58 PM
What are the specs of the system you're testing the game on?

tevel3
10-14-2007, 11:14 PM
i got a question...
does the uk department does anything else besides marketing games?

EskimoBob32
10-15-2007, 03:27 AM
Wow, do you people even read posts in threads other than yours? Rickas, the guy responsible for this thread, no longer works for Ubi. So it's not happening.