PDA

View Full Version : Did I sunk it?

KaelNL
02-17-2010, 08:02 AM
(SH4 1.4 stock)
Went on Wounded Bear, my first war patrol. On my way there, I encountered an opportunity too great to ignore: a convoy exactly heading fo my current position. Only thing I had to do, was dive &wait.
After some time, I was in the middle of the convoy, popped up and took a few shots. The result: 1 merchant sunk and to aflame. I mean: the whole deck was on fire, but they still maintained current speed. I had to dive and with my battery below 50% and 1 DD staying right above me, looking for me, I thought it wise to let the convoy slip away and head the other direction. At that point I saved the game, still to be finished.

My Q: is there any chance those merchants will still sink? I mean: I have 'realistic sinking times' so it might take a while, but I don't know how this game works: will the convoy despawn as soon as they're out of my sight & I will miss the kills (persuming they will sink given enough time)? Or will I miss the kils anyway, because I/my boat can't 'confirm' them?

Or is there a chance my log will flash 'ship sunk' while I'm on the other side of the sea? (Which would be nice score-wise but also unrealistic)

Thanks
-M-

PS: thanks for all the help on this site. Esp. all the links I keep finding in people's signatures! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Yooperbacker
02-17-2010, 08:50 AM
The ships you hit but did not sink will try to get to a port to get repaired. If you are not in the general area of a ship that sunk, I don't believe you will get credit for it.

WernherVonTrapp
02-17-2010, 12:31 PM
If the ship gets beyond sight/radar distance, /OR/ if you're submerged and the ship gets beyond the range of your passive sonar (somewhere between 6 - 7nm), then you have no way to confirm the kill and will not get credit.
Only 50% battery power left? How far and fast were you traveling under water?

MWolfe1963
02-17-2010, 04:19 PM
As Yooper said, but it differs in career mode. In career mode you obviously may catch up with it. As long as it doesn't leave your contact zone, it will stay damaged, but if it does, it will fix itself. You can have one almost sunk and lose contact and come back to find it totally fixed.

Given enough time even if you keep contact a ship can repair itself just like your sub.

Single player game over, career mode, keep them in the contact zone or do it over. The contact zone is like a zone around your ship that your best equipment can reach out regardless what year it is.

KaelNL
02-18-2010, 08:52 AM
@ WernherVonTrapp

I was at 1/3 <STRIKE>impulse</STRIKE> speed. Few hrs back another sonar contact was right on my path. Tinkering with Time Compression I suddenly faced 2 DDs and a 'submarine chaser' (according to the auto-targeting thingy. A ship which I didn't find in any identification book; I used the one under 'N' and a 45-odd paged PDF one) Had to dive and stay submerged for ages. Got away unharmed, but by the time I encountered said prize convoy my batteries were still barely above half.

I'm used to monitoring my batteries & speed, from playing Silent Servicehttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif