PDA

View Full Version : COD = new graphics engine/physics/ai ?

roybaer
03-22-2011, 06:21 AM
Hi all

its been a few years since i last played IL2 (hi VAAF if you lot are still around).

saw the release announcement on steam. i am just wondering what CoD actually is.

is it the battle of britain that was talked about back then with new graphics engine, new ai, new physics engine... basically the rework of IL2 or is this just essentially a map pack enabling britain and the channel?

do trees still look crap at ground level and does AI still constantly miss you if you pull away from them in a slight but constant turn?

M_Gunz
03-22-2011, 08:35 AM
IL2:1946 has the basic FM but 1946 3D model does not have weight distributed which will make a difference.

You want to see graphics, find the preview videos and remember they are converted to video and resolution. Except for the newest are older unfinished beta versions which are still far advanced as to ground detail.

Urufu_Shinjiro
03-22-2011, 09:01 AM
CoD is a totally new game, it's the new name for Storm of War: Battle of Britain.

VW-IceFire
03-22-2011, 03:18 PM
To reiterate... Cliffs of Dover is essentially all new. Oleg's team has spent the better part of the last 5-6 years developing a new engine (game, graphics, ai, etc.) that will span the next series of games/content packages that come out.

Technology wise the engine should be capable of everything that IL-2 1946 does plus quite a bit more. We've seen demos of the sophisticated weather modeling although that apparently will not be in the first release.

On the face of it the graphics are much improved. IL-2 is really looking superb right now but if you look very closely there are still lots of rough edges and obvious limits to the number of polys that the objects have. The screen shots and videos we've seen of Cliffs of Dover take things up quite a few notches.

The biggest problem in my mind is that we're, in effect, loosing a lot of content that IL-2 has. We'll be back down to one theater and with a relatively small number of aircraft to fly compared to the expansive set that we have now. I'll say that I'm fairly confident that we'll see the set grow once again and very soon hopefully!

M_Gunz
03-22-2011, 03:37 PM
Where do you guys think that the IL2 4.x FM came from? Given that we were informed it came from SOW and that the 1946 FM is very close to the same.

GatorSub1942
03-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Has it retained the 'IL2' name because it's going to go on from here, to the war over France, and on into D-Day and beyond? Maybe even a prequel for the Battle of France, or earlier (if you don't mind playing as the Germans - not much happened on the Allied side in the air before the Battle of France).

K_Freddie
03-22-2011, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
To reiterate... Cliffs of Dover is essentially all new. Oleg's team has spent the better part of the last 5-6 years developing a new engine (game, graphics, ai, etc.)
Let's rephrase that....
Oleg has spent the better part of 6 years getting IL2 onto PSP, WEE..etc, and probably only spent 1-2 years on COD.
COD has been a part time occupation until IL2 finally reached the end of the road, then COD became a priority.
Oleg also has to earn a living...
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Tiger2709
03-23-2011, 05:34 AM
Oleg did none of those things, but he did license his product out for others to do what you mention, so stop talking ****e, would be nice if people actually bought this game, not like we get flight sim releases everyday.

M_Gunz
03-23-2011, 06:39 AM
Last time the new sim was sidelined was when Pacific Fighters had to be finished, the last year or so the majority of Maddox Games became heavily involved. Some of the team had stayed with the IL2 we know up to at least 4.08 and 4.09 beta before Daidalos took over and I am sure that some effort has still been made since; communicating, informing and checking are all time and effort.

What had to be provided to the Birds of Prey people besides a pile of time to prepare materials is not told but I doubt that required more than a couple people part time.

Pacific Fighters was out IIRC 2006.