PDA

View Full Version : Sound crackle - may have figured it out

flyinj
03-16-2005, 05:38 PM
Well, my sound was popping and crackling in this game. I tried everything to get it to stop, but to no avail.

Then I realized something http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif nly two other games on my system have popping and crackling sound when I play them, and I was never able to resolve it:

Soldiers : Heroes of WWII

and

Scrapland

Now, SH3 pops and crackles... What do all these games have in common?

I hate to add to the choir, but Starforce.

Chalk up another victory for throwing mal-ware copy protection devices into the system/device level of my computer.

flyinj
03-16-2005, 05:38 PM
Well, my sound was popping and crackling in this game. I tried everything to get it to stop, but to no avail.

Then I realized something http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif nly two other games on my system have popping and crackling sound when I play them, and I was never able to resolve it:

Soldiers : Heroes of WWII

and

Scrapland

Now, SH3 pops and crackles... What do all these games have in common?

I hate to add to the choir, but Starforce.

Chalk up another victory for throwing mal-ware copy protection devices into the system/device level of my computer.

Messervy
03-16-2005, 06:01 PM
Sorry to dissapoint you.
I have the same problem with CoDUO - no Starforce there!

WFLZ
03-16-2005, 06:03 PM
I have it with America's Army. Definately no copy protection there.

altstiff
03-16-2005, 09:39 PM
I always found that turning the in game and windows default volume to 75% (and turn up your speaker knob) fixed alot of crackle problems for me.

dse1010
03-16-2005, 09:48 PM
Can anything be blamed on Starforce?

ZG77_Lignite
03-16-2005, 10:57 PM
Anything you want. Dog crapped on the floor? Starforce! Wife sitting in the bar with 2 sailors? Starforce! Computer turns off when the power goes out? Starforce!

Tusler
03-16-2005, 11:01 PM
I have found if I go to the DirectX (dxdiag) and move the slider for Sound acceleration down a couple of notches it cures my sound problems. I am running the latest drivers and latest directx but even Lomac has the sound problem and this made it better.
Hope it helps

DrReaper
03-20-2005, 12:30 PM
Look for a thread in here called Crackling/Popping while playing. It has a fix for soundblasters

Sheepdip82
03-20-2005, 07:25 PM
I have an Audigy 2, and I used to get crackling in several games and couldnt figure out why, in the end buried deep in a forum somewhere, someone suggested switching my PC type to
Advanced Configuration and power interface (ACPI) PC (under device manager - right click on computer, properties, update driver, select from list, select ACPI, reboot).

Since then I have had no problems with my soundcard. If your stumped for idea's it could be worth a try