PDA

View Full Version : Install fails, deletes all files, no error log

bmanic
03-16-2005, 06:19 AM
Silent Hunter 3 arrived today. Unfortunately I can't play it as the install fails. It runs smoothly until the very end, to the phase where it says "publishing information" then it just suddenly deletes all the files and I get a "Installation was interupted, installation not completed" message. No error log, nothing, no traces, nada. I'm really disappointed.

I've re-tried several times on several different drives, always the same problem. I have plenty of HD space.. more than 20gb free so that can't be the problem. Any ideas?

- bManic

Pr0metheus 1962
03-16-2005, 06:25 AM
Until you post your system specs, there's no way to tell what the problem could be.

Ioandar
03-16-2005, 06:27 AM
do you have admin-rights under XP?

Program does not check -> tries to update registry -> not allowed -> rollback

Dunno, Just an idea...

UbiRazz
03-16-2005, 06:34 AM
Dirty DVD?

Try contacting our tech support, they might be able to help: http://www.ubireg.com/uk/ http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

RuKo3031973
03-16-2005, 06:42 AM
Do u use daemon tools? or alcohol 120% I've had to delete it before the game works http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Capt.LoneRanger
03-16-2005, 06:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Do u use daemon tools? or alcohol 120% I've had to delete it before the game works <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Daemon works fine with StarForce, Alcohol120 not. It's also highly speculative to make StarRorce responsible for this, as StarForce needs to install drivers and reboot before it even is activated. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

bmanic
03-16-2005, 02:17 PM
Hi, sorry for no system specks, was in a hurry to go to work when I tried the final times to install!

System specs:
Windows XP SP2
AMD Athlon 3200+ (barton)
512mb RAM
160gb barracuda V HD
LG DVD-RW burner
Radeon 9500pro
Soundblaster Live
M-Audio 2496 Audiophile
RME-HDSP 9636 audiocard (yes, all 3 cards in same computer but has worked fine always)

The DVD arrived this morning and was well packed, no damage, totally clean. It seems to install fine until the very end, after the "registering" comes the "publishing information" there it stays for about 10 seconds during which time it deletes the newly installed folder and just quits to a menu which says installation was interupted.

I have full admin rights on windows. No daemon tools or anything installed. When is it supposed to ask for the CD key? I was never asked during the installation. Could it be conflicting with my other Starforce protected software (Simbin's FIA GTR racing simulator, which I installed yesterday)?

I'll send a report to UBI support with full details and screen captures. Would love to play the game today http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Cheers!
bManic

KiwiVenge
03-16-2005, 02:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Capt.LoneRanger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Do u use daemon tools? or alcohol 120% I've had to delete it before the game works <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Daemon works fine with StarForce, Alcohol120 not. It's also highly speculative to make StarRorce responsible for this, as StarForce needs to install drivers and reboot before it even is activated. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You sure about that?
Starforce themselves told me the Starforce drives are installed everytime you execute the game, not install it.

Gormz
03-17-2005, 06:06 AM
I have the exact problem, and have used up 6 hours of deleting programes, instaling new drivers. Also coppied the whole DVD to a hard disk, it didn't help at all.
If you or any others find a fix, that would be great. Just reading what you have said it is the same problem, and I'm pissed off!!
The only thin I can add is some people have had problems with Pioneer DVD drives.
I also have a Pioneer 105 DVD.

stevenwhiting
03-17-2005, 06:51 AM
Dirty DVD might be it. Mine had aloud of dust over it. But that might of been when I took it out of the box, my room is dusty so it all rushed to the DVD.

Try closing all background programs, such as Anti-virus etc.

bmanic
03-17-2005, 06:52 AM
Yes, this is really annoying. Like my specs above say, I have a LG DVD-RW drive (brand might be 'super multi', at least that is what it says on the tray!). I've never had a problem like this before. I even tried to install it today and turn off the computer just before it starts deleting the files. Well, this kept the files but apparently some were not installed properly so the game starts to load.

Here's a picture of the error message I get:

http://cmt.siba.fi/nisilen/SH3problem.jpg

Oh one more thing, I ordered my copy directly from UBIsoft, got the ship recognition manual and all.

- bManic

bmanic
03-17-2005, 09:50 AM
stevenwhiting,

no this issue is definately not related to a dirty disc. Mine is perfectly clean and besides, it DOES install all the way until the very end. It even manages to copy all the files but when the message "publishing product information" comes, it takes about 5 seconds and then it deletes all the files and aborts install with the error message in the picture above.

-bManic

chumpion69
04-01-2005, 07:50 AM
Did anyone ever come up with a fix to this? I am having the same problem and when I uninstall SP2, i get an error message about the DVD.

uncle_newt
04-01-2005, 08:00 AM
Just a long shot here, but are you installing to the default directory?
C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII

chumpion69
04-01-2005, 08:01 AM
Yes. It allows me to follow the normal process but stops at the "publishing" page and gives me the error message included above.

eddie_wood
04-01-2005, 09:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gormz:
I have the exact problem, and have used up 6 hours of deleting programes, instaling new drivers. Also coppied the whole DVD to a hard disk, it didn't help at all.
If you or any others find a fix, that would be great. Just reading what you have said it is the same problem, and I'm pissed off!!
The only thin I can add is some people have had problems with Pioneer DVD drives.
I also have a Pioneer 105 DVD. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't think the Pioneer 105 was supported by StarForce? Thought I read it somewhere, I could be wrong.

If so, install a different DVD reader, they are very cheap!

ChunkyChops-IIc
04-01-2005, 03:27 PM
bmanic - I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble installing this game. It truly is great - not that I am trying to rub it in, unlike the Marie Antoinette crowd.

The only problem I did have during install was that initially I tried to install the game on my game PC over the network from my work PC, which has a shared DVD-ROM in it. The access to the disc was awfully slow and gave errors that the drive was no longer available, so I physically moved the DVD-ROM into my games machine and this allowed the disc to be accessed fine and installation was no problem after that.

I might be talking out of my stern torpedo tube here, but as far as I know, Microsoft has copy protection built into the udf reader. UDF is Univeral Disc Format and is one of the standards of DVD-ROM formats. Of UDF there are many versions, Windows XP had a problem with certain versions of the UDF reader which were corrected with SP2 - this maybe why you were having a problem after uninstalling SP2, chumpion69. Several commercial DVDs could not be read in Windows XP, including (don't laugh) Snow white and the seven dwarves.

I know that starforce contains 'technology intended to prevent copying that may conflict with some disc and virtual drives' and I have also read anecdotal evidence on this forum that some people with CD / DVD burning software have had problems with starforce.

I'm sorry if I come across as giving a lecture here, I'm just trying to say what might be the problem. If it is preferable, I could always say 'lolz u n00b update ur syst3m' :-)

So, anyway back to the subject, some DVD/CD programs offer additional features, not contained within the UDF specification, such as compression of written data. They will allow the creation of non-compressed DVDs that can be read in standard DVDs, but to read the compressed DVDs, or any other non-standard format, a proprietary version of the UDF reader is required, as the Microsoft one wouldn't read it and would struggle for a while / be sick in a dump file.

I noticed that bmanic has an LG electronics DVD-RW drive - does this offer compression of data written to DVD?

You can check the version of the UDF reader your copy of windows is using, by checking the properties on the file c:\winnt\system32\drivers\udfs.sys - if it doesn't say Microsoft Corporation, but another company, e.g. LG electronics, or a company that wrote some DVD software you installed, this could be one cause of your install problems with starforce.

I know people **** off Microsoft a lot, but if the UDF reader supplied by Microsoft did not read some later released commercial DVDs, due to them using later UDF versions, then it is not out of the bounds of possibility that third party manufacturers wrote UDF readers that were not 100% compliant with later UDF versions and that this is the cause of some of the starforce problems.

I would imagine that starforce reads the DVD, or at least, a certain section of the DVD in a certain way and if the installed UDF reader doesn't give it the information it expects, due to a third party UDF reader being different to the MS one, then this may be the cause of starforce failing on systems that have DVD writer software.

People say that it is impossible to test all the permutations of hardware/software, so I would imagine starforce had been tested with the vanilla Windows operating systems, which would not include third party UDFS.SYS files.

Anyway, sorry to have gone on for so long, I am only trying to help here and I also have not researched this response as though it were a submission in a court of law, so please don't flame me, I am only trying to help someone enjoy this fantastic game.

PS. Why do torpedo boats usually leave more burning oil on the surface than oil tankers?

chumpion69
04-04-2005, 07:01 AM
Okay, I figured out the fix for this (at least on my machine). The problem had to do with SP2, but the disk couldnt be read without SP2. That said, I copied the disk to my desktop with SP2 installed, uninstalled SP2, and then ran the installation. It worked like a charm and got through the Publishing portion of the install. I hope this helps people who have this very frustrating problem.