PDA

View Full Version : Rocksmith mis-recognizing fret pressed

KilaRoach
10-19-2011, 09:48 AM
Love it! got one problem so far. On some of the challenges and some phrases the "game" wrongly requignizes the fret being pressed. Meaning that the note is on the third fret and I press on the third fret but it tells me to move to the second fret. once i realize that this is happening for any certian note I then adjust and continue to press the wrong fret and it gives credit for being accurate. so I continue to press the 2nd fret when the chart clearly is asking for the 3rd fret. hope this can be corrected soon.

DrwhoGalefrie
10-19-2011, 10:30 AM
Yes, I noticed this too. It's a bit touchy and I may hit the right fret a couple times till it knows how to see the right note.

Also, it may be an issues of where you exactly put your finger between the frets.

jemenard
10-19-2011, 11:11 AM
This morning I had that problem on the duck mini-game...I am going to try retuning it tonight and see if the problem is still there...

jackaldark
10-19-2011, 11:16 AM
Yeah I'd imagine this is a guitar and technique specific issue.

Since the game recognizes exact sounds if your strings are new or old or you are pressing it or bending it, it might pickup the wrong impression.

CircusMidget_TS
10-19-2011, 11:21 AM
This is usually caused from the Intonation being off on the guitar. It's recommended to take it to a guitar shop and ask them to "setup" the guitar for you to correct this.

Martin37
10-19-2011, 11:24 AM
Hi Stupid question:
How do I know if the Intonation is Off or On?

Thx
Martin

jackaldark
10-19-2011, 11:28 AM
If you can't tell by "hearing" you'd probably just have to bring it in for a tune up.

Here's a video that might explain it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZVRCMJLnm4

DrwhoGalefrie
10-19-2011, 11:36 AM
to tell if intonation is off or on

tune as normal, then use one string and test all the WHOLE notes, just cause of the tuner in the game may be limited, to make sure each Whole note is still ringing that note

for instance, open top string, thickest is in E. Tune it. Then on the same string, go to the 12th fret and play that note, it should also be an E with no additional tuning

same can be used for all strings

Martin37
10-19-2011, 11:43 AM
Got it thank you. that is really apreciated.

have fun
Martin

nukecraftsman
10-19-2011, 06:01 PM
if you are having trouble you most likely have bad intonation on your guitar and string heights need to be adjusted. I just got my string height exactly where it needs to be about six weeks ago and I have no problems with it

xxBuddhasPALMxx
10-19-2011, 09:10 PM
I agree with the intonation solution, but if that's not it, there's a long shot that it could be lighter gauged strings bending slightly when you depress them

nautiquesonly
12-22-2011, 06:41 AM
Hello,

I have the same issue with the miss-recognizing frets on my Fender and Gibson. Both have been professionally tuned and it still happens. What is the fix for this as it happens too often and is very frustrating.

valzgr8
12-22-2011, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by KilaRoach:
Love it! got one problem so far. On some of the challenges and some phrases the "game" wrongly requignizes the fret being pressed. Meaning that the note is on the third fret and I press on the third fret but it tells me to move to the second fret. once i realize that this is happening for any certian note I then adjust and continue to press the wrong fret and it gives credit for being accurate. so I continue to press the 2nd fret when the chart clearly is asking for the 3rd fret. hope this can be corrected soon.

Originally posted by nautiquesonly:
Hello,

I have the same issue with the miss-recognizing frets on my Fender and Gibson. Both have been professionally tuned and it still happens. What is the fix for this as it happens too often and is very frustrating.

Howdy, ya'all!

I don't know if this will help you or not, but it's a non evasive test you can try. When I first got RockSmith, every time I played ducks it was always off by a fret! I got pretty good at playing it but had to play it a fret below where the game spawned the ducks! This was so confusing for me...I could not figure out why.

Once I started playing the songs I found that for some reason I wasn't improving! This is not like me. I usually play until I master something. But Rocksmith would not accept my fretting as correct even though I was most definitely fretting it right! AND oh my goodness, my fingers HURT after each session!

So...one night I was getting rather frustrated trying to figure out why it was not working the way it should. Honestly, it was the closest I had come to giving up on a game...ever...I hate when there are no manuals to read! *giggle* Anyway, my hubby says to me..."I think your fretting it too hard! Lighten up a little!"

ACK! That was all it was! I started fretting lighter and Ducks was all of a sudden right on fret...and I was finally improving my playing! Another benefit was that my fingers didn't hurt quite so bad anymore...*giggle*...I should clarify, that I had to lighten up on my picking, too! Evidently, the more frustrated I got trying to fret the guitar right, the harder I would pick the string...and that wasn't helping it be on tune either!

So, try picking and fretting a little lighter to see if that fixes the issue. If it doesn't, then you might investigate the intonation as the rest of these folks suggest. They know what they are talking about!

ahusmc
12-22-2011, 09:44 AM
Hello. I originally posted this on a thread for Drop D tuning. The symptoms the user is referencing are typical Intonation issues. I hope this helps..... With Drop D and any other tuning for that matter intonation is amongst the most important things to check. Grab your tuner (real chromatic tuner),tune your guitar's open strings to pitch, on 12th fret, fret each string and strum, now strum the string harmonically (lightly touching the string). The open, fretted, and harmonic should all be in the same tune. If not adjust the saddles on your guitar. Move individual saddle closer to bridge if sharp, and closer to the nut if flat (in small increments) There are plenty of great videos on you tube that show this and further guitar "setup", or you could pay someone 50 to 100 Dollars to do it for you. If you can pay someone to do it, you can learn to do it your self IMHO. Hope this helps and does not confuse. Also make sure to fret closer to the fret wire closer to the bridge of the note you are strumming and not in the middle or on the wire.

Note: Check your Pickups height from the strings. Strings to close to the magnetic pickups while depressed on the last Fret will adversely affect intonation.

Once Intonation is set properly your Guitar will be tuned to pitch on all Notes along the Fretboard.

fatherrock
12-23-2011, 06:55 AM
Missed fret

99.99999% of the time that is caused
by the guitar out of tune.

yes, yes, it says it is in tune.
Stop the mini game, go to the main tuner
option, tune it again from stratch.

That will fix the problem.

Marauder359
12-23-2011, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by fatherrock:
Missed fret

99.99999% of the time that is caused
by the guitar out of tune.

yes, yes, it says it is in tune.
Stop the mini game, go to the main tuner
option, tune it again from stratch.

That will fix the problem.

That always does it for me, too.

Ohgrr
12-24-2011, 09:41 PM
Yeah. The actual tuner in game is much better than the "strum each note" part. However, I answer this question nearly daily on Facebook and it is rarely anything but intonation.

QuitBalloon5147
06-16-2012, 04:18 PM
Howdy, ya'all!

I don't know if this will help you or not, but it's a non evasive test you can try. When I first got RockSmith, every time I played ducks it was always off by a fret! I got pretty good at playing it but had to play it a fret below where the game spawned the ducks! This was so confusing for me...I could not figure out why.

Once I started playing the songs I found that for some reason I wasn't improving! This is not like me. I usually play until I master something. But Rocksmith would not accept my fretting as correct even though I was most definitely fretting it right! AND oh my goodness, my fingers HURT after each session!

So...one night I was getting rather frustrated trying to figure out why it was not working the way it should. Honestly, it was the closest I had come to giving up on a game...ever...I hate when there are no manuals to read! *giggle* Anyway, my hubby says to me..."I think your fretting it too hard! Lighten up a little!"

ACK! That was all it was! I started fretting lighter and Ducks was all of a sudden right on fret...and I was finally improving my playing! Another benefit was that my fingers didn't hurt quite so bad anymore...*giggle*...I should clarify, that I had to lighten up on my picking, too! Evidently, the more frustrated I got trying to fret the guitar right, the harder I would pick the string...and that wasn't helping it be on tune either!

So, try picking and fretting a little lighter to see if that fixes the issue. If it doesn't, then you might investigate the intonation as the rest of these folks suggest. They know what they are talking about!

Thanks! I think this is the answer to the problem. If Rocksmith sees the guitar in tune, then the intonation would have less of an effect and it would change, theoretically, with every string in Ducks, sometimes up, sometimes down. Pressing too hard or too far from the fret makes more sense, in my opinion. It worked for me, anyway.

revtime
06-16-2012, 10:54 PM
I had the same issue initially with RS. I had purchased a used Jackson ****y for my guitar and it was horrible, wrong fret issues, scratchy noises, etc. Returned the Jackson and picked up a new Epi Les Paul Studio and all problems were solved. With these kind of issues its rarely the games fault. Its your gear and/or your technique. I learned how to do a setup and fix things like action height and intonation. I do my own string changes and setups now. Its not rocket science and there are plenty of websites and youtube videos that will teach you how to do this. A modest investment in tools will pay huge dividends if Rocksmith convinces you to be a guitar player.

Flipper153
06-17-2012, 01:38 AM
there's some great videos out there for fretting techniques .... helped this "newby" immensely

DreamAwake
06-17-2012, 10:56 AM
I'm having trouble with guitar Intonation.. I made my guitar even worse! Not only are all the strings out of sync but the strings are super loose.

C.Linton
06-17-2012, 12:27 PM
I certainly hope, if yopu have never done it before, that you didn't try adjusting the intonation at the bridge, as if you don't know what you are doing, that's the kind of result you can get. You'll need to get an electronic tuner that can tune a bass at both the open strings and at the twelfth (Octave) fret. There are plenty of tutorials online that can help. Or, if you're not sure you can do it, best take it to a shop and get it professionally done.

rchiav
06-17-2012, 05:31 PM
I certainly hope, if yopu have never done it before, that you didn't try adjusting the intonation at the bridge, as if you don't know what you are doing, that's the kind of result you can get. You'll need to get an electronic tuner that can tune a bass at both the open strings and at the twelfth (Octave) fret. There are plenty of tutorials online that can help. Or, if you're not sure you can do it, best take it to a shop and get it professionally done.

It's really not rocket science.

1) Tune open string to pitch.
2) Check 12th fret
3) If it's not on pitch, adjust saddle until it is.
4) repeat steps 1 through 3 until they're both the same pitch.

There's no magic voodoo.

DreamAwake
06-17-2012, 07:36 PM
Right. Simple formula. Trial & error. I'll report my progress once again when I am done.

Dirt001
08-16-2012, 05:09 PM
Hey I had the same problem when i first started. What it turned out to be was that i was pulling back on the neck of the guitar bending it a little and making the note i played higher. Try not to pull back so hard when you fret instead use your thumb for leverage and bam no more mis reads.

Also the neck bending thing is an easier way to do a bend imo.

Dizzyg12
08-16-2012, 10:16 PM
Hey I had the same problem when i first started. What it turned out to be was that i was pulling back on the neck of the guitar bending it a little and making the note i played higher. Try not to pull back so hard when you fret instead use your thumb for leverage and bam no more mis reads.

Also the neck bending thing is an easier way to do a bend imo.
Is your guitar made of plastic? Lol.

nefariousnero
08-17-2012, 07:57 AM
Is your guitar made of plastic? Lol.

I do know that the squier that came with Rockband pro mode has a hollow neck. I'm pretty sure I've seen people kinda warble on that neck because it was kinda easy to bend.

stevarius
08-17-2012, 02:28 PM
I think there is more to the notes not being recognized properly than intonation. I properly intonated my LP and it still sometimes shows that I hit the wrong notes on the low E string towards the 3rd fret. It recognizes it better if I pick it a certain way. I'll check out the intonation again, but I feel like something else is causing this within the game.

Nytestalker5
08-18-2012, 02:10 AM
I was getting frustrated playing ducks also, I must agree with the earlier post about fretting pressure.
I also lightened up on how hard I was pressing and the issues all went away.
Before you mess with you guitar or spend big bucks on setting up your guitar, play with your fret pressure.

Braintrust18
08-18-2012, 11:17 PM
Ducks is a great way to test intonation as well. You can tell right a way if there is a big problem. I think it is also worth noting that changes in the climate (winter to spring, fall to winter) can cause the neck to bend. So you may need to get the guitar setup once or twice a year even if you never touch the heights of the strings. (fix is a truss rod adjustment)

shihdo122
08-19-2012, 09:25 AM
this was one of the first problems i encounterd when i got the game and started playing single notes, i had been messing around on guitars for a while with books, tab etc so had never had anybody tell me if i was doing it right or not. The game told me i was pressing too hard on the strings from the start (dont you hate being told your doing it wrong lol) so straight from the off the game was "teaching me" .
I have since had a lot more success and can play longer before my fingers beg for mercy thanks to a game picking up on a basic mistake most begginers are going to make.
Thanks rocksmith.[/SIZE]

allstar930
05-21-2013, 12:13 AM
I was fretting too hard!!! Don't take your guitar in to the shop before backing off from fretting too hard. Do take your guitar to a private shop to be set up when you can though, buy local.

dy69wen
06-22-2013, 09:04 PM
I had this problem with a muse song and found to correct it after the sound check I had to re tune the string and then it worked.

C.Linton
06-23-2013, 03:37 PM
I was fretting too hard!!! Don't take your guitar in to the shop before backing off from fretting too hard. Do take your guitar to a private shop to be set up when you can though, buy local.
Before you make any kind of adjustments or spend any money having a pro do it, try lightening up on the pressure when fretting the string. Pressing too hard can bend the string. Even just a little can throw the whole thing off. If you are having this problem, try not pressing so hard on the strings and see if that helps. This is a very common reason why people are having this problem with RS, I'm surprised more didn't mention It in this thread.

Finster Folly
07-03-2013, 07:35 PM
My problem was/is the finger pressure too. I starting doing the challenges recently, and I started paying more attention to the notes I was hitting/dropping. My tele is pretty incredible at staying in tune, so I checked intonation. It was good too. So then I figured I was pushing or pulling the note out of tune, and I was really focused on coming straight down on the note. In this particular case, it is with my ring finger. Ironically, the more I focused on pressing straight down, the harder I was pressing, causing more misses. A lighter touch seems to do the trick. Unfortunately, I tend to play a little heavy with my fretting hand, and I am having to relearn to fret with a lighter touch. I also tend to press harder when the sequence is faster, which hurts on speed too.

inequidy
10-24-2013, 09:59 PM
I am having issues with EMG 81/85s, the guitar is intonated, doesn't matter which fret or how hard I press to get it to respond on some lessons.

*edit*

I seemed to solve the issue by putting the action a bit higher and screwing the emgs a bit further into the body. Guess the magnetic field could be the cause of it.

SychOsoCiaL
01-17-2015, 12:41 PM

What you wanna do is just pause game during a song . In the bottom left corner it shows you what note your playin its real sensitve so just slightly tweak your tuning. Until its corrected.

rcole_sooner
01-17-2015, 05:38 PM
I am pretty sure this thread has nothing to do with the current game, so it is now closed to avoid any confusion.