PDA

View Full Version : Sound problem

dmm_u333
03-18-2005, 02:12 AM
I have a min spec machine (Dell) with integrated sound card.

I can play the game no problems in the main however occaisionally the sound fails mid game
(lots of hissing etc).

If i save or close game, reopen its fine again.

its very annoying. anyone else getting this?

bweiss
03-18-2005, 02:24 AM
I get stutter pretty bad, but that's my system. Mind you I'm running this on an old PIII 733 Coppermine, boosted with a Nvidia Asus 9950 Ultra and an Audigy2 Gamer ZS. Most likely my small 133 pipeline and 2x AGP off this old mobo is eeking through about all it can. But, the idea that SH3 would run this smooth at all on an old system like this is pretty good. To tackle the stutter, I'm knotching down the sound accelerator, using a PCI latency util to fiddle with the Nvidia latency. Seems to run better at 64 than the default, or 128ms. Try turning down all of your graphics in degrees. Like if your using FSAA or Anisotropic, then knotch them down until things seem more stable, or not. Someone will tell ya to buy an add on card, but I figure ya know that and it don't necessarily mean things will be problem free if you did. Good luck.

dmm_u333
03-18-2005, 02:28 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I know my machines a bit of a shed (i'm waiting to buy a laptop with PCI-E once the early adopter stage has passed). I'm actually surprised it runs at all on my machine (Celeron - remember those!?)

However, its odd that its fine most of the time. something must trigger the hissing.

oh well. stroll on my PCI-Express!

Rune1979
03-18-2005, 04:00 AM
Hi,
I've allmost the same issue here:
distorted (more like FUZZ, for the guitarists out there) sound after there are many sounds at the same time. The sound gets slow and is pitched down as well.
I also use my onboard soundcard: C-Media thingy.
I suppose, that this issue is not related to SH3, because in OperationFlashpoint (best game ever, b.t.w.) i have the same prob, but only in mp while using TeamSpeak. Maybe the onboard soundcard is not able to handle the amount of streams used in SH3 simultanously.
Perhaps we can sort this one out...

dmm_u333
03-18-2005, 04:10 AM
i've also noticed it only happens when MUSIC is OFF (-40db)
do you have same setting?

dmm_u333
03-18-2005, 04:42 AM
i can't see where/how i can limit the number of channels. Can anyone help?

Rune1979
03-18-2005, 05:19 AM
no, music is on, yet...
on the german forum, there's a thread dealing this prob.
There seem to be 3 ways around this:
1st: get another soundcard (no comment on this one...)
2nd: if you have a C-Media 973x onboard soundcard, try the "new" (dated jan.04) drivers (since i'm on 64k connection, I can't say if it works, yet)
3rd: reduce hardware accel. of the soundcard in system settings

hope this helps you
b.t.w. this issue is also reported with soundblaster live and audigy soundcards... (just in case you think about the 1st workaround)

dmm_u333
03-18-2005, 05:27 AM
thanks rune.
#3 looks like only option but do you mean within the game or in XP?

Rune1979
03-18-2005, 05:33 AM
yes, in system settings.
the options are avail. at the "soundcard" icon...
sorry, i'm on linux, now, therefor i can't be more precise...

dmm_u333
03-18-2005, 05:40 AM
i'll have a look when i get home. i'm stuck at work, bored and dying to get home to play again http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

Rune1979
03-18-2005, 05:46 AM
shall i'll tell you, if it works? or would this make being at work even worse... (i know what u are going through)
anyway, i'm off, testing
good luck and godspeed...

dmm_u333
03-18-2005, 05:53 AM
yes! if it works i'd be grateful for a step by step guide on what you did!
guten tag!

dasgespenst
03-18-2005, 06:19 AM
This is what hapened to me: 5 minutes into any mission (including naval academy) my PC rebooted itself, then attempted to send an error message to microsoft about "this error" which had to do with a driver (didn't say which driver, obviously...). When I had installed the latest of the latest driver to my ATI RADEON X300SE graphics card and it still didn't solve the problem, I was halfway to the funny farm. My last guess at it was to move the slider to "half" acceleration in the (sound) system settings, that solved the problem. But by then the pleasant young men in white suits had already got me..........

Mojo4Play
03-18-2005, 11:46 PM
In a more recent thread, someone reported the same problem. I also have experienced this in LOMAC. The thread suggested turning harware accel off solved his problem with the loud annoying hiss and crackle.

Sinclair07_fr
03-19-2005, 02:17 AM
I repeat what I posted a few hours ago : I simply desactivated my SB Live (through the Windows configuration panel) and in the bios, I re-activated my good old onboard AC97... And it now runs perfectly... So if you have an onboard sound chip, try enabling it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

peteuplink
03-19-2005, 02:47 AM
Yep, it is exactly the same problem as with LOMAC. On avergae I'd say abut a 3rd of the users who played LOMAC had this problem, and here it is again with another UBI product.

You'd think they'd learn from their errors and design a system they works on a wider spectrum of machines. I've never heard of any other games making this hissing sound, so the problem must be something to do with the system these 2 sims are using to play sounds.