PDA

View Full Version : Help me With the Plot here

MattGalvatron
12-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Ok so Desmond has his ancestors memories which are stored in his D.N.A he uses the animus to acess these memories...here's my question are to assume then that Desmond Controls his ancestors like Altier or are we to assume he just watches through their eyes. Orginally I thought he just saw this and we were to assume that are actions as the player were just the memories playing out (aka we were not altering events as they happen) but then things like Glyths and other things that the assassins have asked Desmond to find while in their mean he does have control..wouldn't that me he could alter events, for example if Desomond as Altiar takes the time to go down a street and kill a guy maybe he missed an event which lead him to one direction in life...Maybe I'm thinking too deep about it but I just thought that should be better explain if Desmond is controlling this or just watching events as they happen cause if so Desmond also really has no choice and does no actions because everything is just playing out as it already happened.

sandmanssorrow
12-22-2010, 04:01 PM
He does have control and it would mean he could change events if not for the desynchronization which is basically the memory failing because he is wandering too far outside the parameters of how it originally occurred.
Don't go too deep into it brother, if you chop out the foundations we'll not be able to immerse ourselves in such a wonderful story. Remember the prerequisite for ingesting these types of Media, the suspension of disbelief.

thedeadman_47
12-22-2010, 04:10 PM
Desmond is actully reliving as them so he has control until those moments in their lives he must do as they did it(which are the memory starting points)so as tou notice in ac2 and acb you can do what ever you like in the game and day and night passes and then if you really pay attention to the story you find out that a memory was to be exactly after the other(example:the flying machine seq in ac2 you re supposed in story line do each one after the first frequently in the same day but yet you can explore vince and get into an assassin tomb aand whatever you then you can go and start the memory)so basicly what i am saying is any time besides any memory start(main or side)isn't counted in the main stream of reliving a memory

Master_Rahl
12-22-2010, 04:14 PM
Events cannot be altered via the Animus because it lets you relive memories. In real life you can remember the day you went to the store, and you might remember everything but going to the store wrong, but that doesn't change what happened.

thedeadman_47
12-22-2010, 04:18 PM
oh and i forgot that's why there is no death only desynchronisation as ezo or altair arn't the ones who are failing but desmond is

Inorganic9_2
12-22-2010, 04:21 PM
Tbh, I think that the memories are being relived exactly as Ezio lived them, but they have to put in the whole desynchronisation etc. thing in order to make it a game...otherwise, AI would be doing everything for you and it would just be a film!

thedeadman_47
12-22-2010, 04:27 PM
that's what i am telling memories are done exactly like the ansector and desynch is not anly for death so if you did anything wrong inthe memory not like te ansector it will be wrong

Redfeather1975
12-22-2010, 04:29 PM
Desmond is a "Memory Monkey" brand Television Antenna.

The better he can monkey his ancestor, the better reception he gets on his television.

But he can never change the story.

Inorganic9_2
12-22-2010, 04:31 PM
So you're saying that the memories are being shown exactly from the ancestor's POV...

...and yet you have control over what happens and any wrong move desynchs you?

Two conflicting views there!

Anyway, one can read into this too much. I've often thought "if it's Desmond doing this, how can he fight like that?" Then think "he can't, Ezio does. Desynch is there just to make it into a playable video game rather than a movie". Then I forget about it and actually enjoy playing the game and trying to tackle more serious plot elements http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Master_Rahl
12-22-2010, 04:44 PM
It's simple enough.

There are minor events in the memories, such as killing a guard who Ezio didn't really kill, that don't really influence anything. So you have some free will. If Desmond wanted to jump in the air twice before killing his target, it doesn't make any real difference. However, if Desmond were to try and kill a person vital to the memories, such as Claudia, you desynchronize because it goes directly against an essential part of the memory.

So, basically:
You have free will to do minor things.
You get desynchronized if you go against core parts of memories.

thedeadman_47
12-22-2010, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Inorganic9_2:
So you're saying that the memories are being shown exactly from the ancestor's POV...

...and yet you have control over what happens and any wrong move desynchs you?

Two conflicting views there!

Anyway, one can read into this too much. I've often thought "if it's Desmond doing this, how can he fight like that?" Then think "he can't, Ezio does. Desynch is there just to make it into a playable video game rather than a movie". Then I forget about it and actually enjoy playing the game and trying to tackle more serious plot elements http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif i didn't say shown it's reliving(it's desmond who is moving but must do it like the ancestor did it that's why it is called RELIVING)

MattGalvatron
12-22-2010, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Master_Rahl:
It's simple enough.

There are minor events in the memories, such as killing a guard who Ezio didn't really kill, that don't really influence anything. So you have some free will. If Desmond wanted to jump in the air twice before killing his target, it doesn't make any real difference. However, if Desmond were to try and kill a person vital to the memories, such as Claudia, you desynchronize because it goes directly against an essential part of the memory.

So, basically:
You get desynchronized if you go against core parts of memories.

Ah thanks all for your comments, this make sense, basically as long as you dont like Kill a main person or kill yourself you wont desynch. I was just wondering as I was playing if desmond was also playing this as a vr type game or just kind of watching but I think the theory or fact that he controls it but unless he alters something major it wont desync is the best one.

ChaosxNetwork
12-23-2010, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by sandmanssorrow:
He does have control and it would mean he could change events if not for the desynchronization which is basically the memory failing because he is wandering too far outside the parameters of how it originally occurred.
Don't go too deep into it brother, if you chop out the foundations we'll not be able to immerse ourselves in such a wonderful story. Remember the prerequisite for ingesting these types of Media, the suspension of disbelief.
^ This

ZCherub
12-23-2010, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Master_Rahl:
It's simple enough.

So, basically:
You get desynchronized if you go against core parts of memories. ^This. Don't know why people are struggling with this so much....