PDA

View Full Version : Question about renown

krohn27
03-17-2005, 10:20 PM
I tried to search the forums but came up empty regarding renown. Now when I finish a mission in 1939 I get about 350 renown just for finishing the objectives. I am in a IIa sub and am not a great submariner so I'm only getting about 2000 tons a patrol right now(stupid dud torps http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif). Thats one small merchant. However I am not getting any renown for this one kill so I was wondering what it takes to get more renown. Just wondering what level of target to wait for since I can only sink one ship with my 5 torps and 80% dud rate.

On a side note THIS GAME RULES! The dud torps make a successful hit even more satisfying.

Giantsfan24
03-17-2005, 10:22 PM
Yeah, I mean I guess the early torps(havent tried the late ones since my campaign is only in aerly 1940) have to hit the ship pretty near 90 degrees(which is hard since that means the ship is moving the most in regards to you lining up a shot).

Oh, i don;t know how the renown system really works. Have fun with the merchants cuz the destroyers will hurt you(if they get within range).

malkuth
03-17-2005, 10:22 PM
Three patrols for me and no dudes yet.

I had to double check to make sure I had the option checked and I do.

But I use the steam Torps, dont know about you.

Anyway last mission I only had one Merchant. Got about 550 renown in all that patrol.

Giantsfan24
03-17-2005, 10:25 PM
550 sounds about right about what I am getting with a patrol with a sunk ship. Maybe you get more with succesful attacks on warships.

malkuth
03-17-2005, 10:29 PM
Oh Ps, also with torps I always attack at the / angle, like the manual suggest.. Maybe thats why im having luck.. Something about how the early detonators or something.

Havent tried Magnetic yet, been itching too, but cathing a contact is tough. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Giantsfan24
03-17-2005, 10:33 PM
Magnetic will 95 percent of the time be a dud if it actually contacts the ship. I havent tried firing it beneath the kiel(sp?) of the ship which is what you are supposed to do with a magnetic.

krohn27
03-17-2005, 10:34 PM
Man speedy responses thanks guys.

yeah i get kinda eager and fire without getting a solid 90 degree angle. I did nail 1 merchant from the rear right in the propeller that was awesome. Only playing at 48% realism and using the autotargeting stuff though. Gotta work up to manual targeting skills.

Hmm maybe Its cause I use up all my torps or something. Good to known I could get upwards of 500 with a sunken ship.

Frederf220
03-17-2005, 10:35 PM
1 9 day patrol.

1300 nm (the unit for distance on the map is nautical mile right?) Just happened on one dive and listen in AN47 to pick up a contact bering 187, tracked him 2 days to find out it was a Merchant, chased to within 50 miles of a port on the East side of the Brit Isles. The AI sonarman is WORTHLESS, I find a contact manually, then tell the SO to do a sweep and he says no contact.

With him was a Brit (Assume it's brit, there's no database of masthead flags to countries so I'm guessing, red cross on white with a union) River Destroyer.

Got caught outrunning the Merchant on the surface at night by the DD 8+ Km away. The **** cargo ships are so fast. Fired at the DD once and missed, hit the deck 17m depth in 20m seas and silent running got away. Returned to base. 0 tons.

100% Real settings. Fuel was an issue, Ahead 1/3 gave 300% the range I needed and Standard gave 80% the range I needed.

Turns out juggling crew is the most annoying part of the voyage, helped when I decided on 8 hour shifts. 0000, 0800, and 1600.

It's strange how some crew can be in the command room for 30 hours without getting sleepy, the engine room really kicks their butt though. And they seem very slow to recouperate.

krohn27
03-17-2005, 10:37 PM
oh yeah I use the diesel/steam torps but I didn't set them to impact only I bet that will help.
A sad story on my part.....I came across a c2 cargo ship on my first patrol the 2nd time I started a campaign. I approached from the side fired all 3 tubes. All duds! so I followed until the last two loaded and took the best shot I could which was not 90 degrees and both duds! I had to watch that big fat merchant crawl away laughing at me.