PDA

View Full Version : Hey Prima! We need a strategy guide!

Cabe5
03-30-2005, 03:30 PM
Where is the Prima Strategy Guide for this game? You think they would be all over it. If any game needs it, this one does.

CapnAJ
03-30-2005, 04:52 PM
This is one game in dire need of a Prima Guide. There are so many games out there that don't need one and get one.

Pacificwing
03-30-2005, 07:40 PM
I'm just curious about something. Please don't take this question as a form of cynical criticism, as it's not intended as such. I honestly want to know.

Why on earth would you want to buy a strategy guide?

As I see it, these strategy guides could only serve three possible purposes:

The first would be to tell you how to win the game. Much like a cheat code or a walkthrough. Which seems rather pointless to me, as I can't understand why someone would pay money for a game, only to essentially turn around and let the book play it for them. Kind of like cheating. Although, I understand how this is how some people find enjoyment, and I've never been one to criticize people for using cheat codes/walkthroughs. If that is what makes certain people happy, then its money well spent; even if I can't relate.

The second purpose would be that the strategy guide must provide additional insight on how to play the game. Such as key-combos, hints and tips on how to be a better submarine caption, and specific information on ships and items found within the game. If this is what you're using it for, I would say that we don't need prima to write us a guide; we need Ubisoft to write a real **** manual. The lousy excuse for a pamphlet they provided with the game is an embarrassment to such a complex simulator. I can't see myself supporting Prima for doing what Ubisoft should have done in the first place.*

The third, and most likely explanation, is that the strategy guide provides hints and tips that aren't revealing enough to be considered cheats, but will significantly enhance a players performance playing the game. Providing information such as high convoy areas, and how to better manually target your torpedos. While this is indeed useful information, most of it can be found on the internet. More specifically: the forums which your already browsing. Why would you pay money to have access to what you have already?

I can see a strategy guide being usefull for someone without internet access. But in this day and age, information such as this is (and should be) free. There is really no reason to pay for it.

Again, I'm not criticizing you for wanting a strategy guide. I'm sincerely sure you have your reasons. I've never actually picked up a Prima guide and flipped through it, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing. I'm just trying to figure out what the appeal is.

Cheers,
-PW

* To their credit, the in-game museum (or what I've seen of it) gives a very comprehensive outline of each of the ships found within the game.

missouridrifter
03-30-2005, 09:43 PM
Pri who?

Here is the guide.. Hunt, find, kill, go home, upgrade.. do it again

I accept credit cards. *soft smile... LOL

HeibgesU999
03-30-2005, 10:29 PM
As it happens, there is just such a thing at Amazon for $9.

The Uboat Commanders Handbook

Captured copy of real manual uboat captains used. The best 9 bucks a subsimmer can spend.

Cabe5
03-30-2005, 11:22 PM
I don't use cheats or codes. I buy strategy guide for startegy games like ROME Total War. I usually don't read the whole book, just use it to verify some questions and assumed info. This game has A LOT of questions and assumed info. I do hate that the guides are usually 13-20 bucks. I only buy em when the game manual reads like a GOP press release. Boooyaaah!