PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer - from manual

BobTuck
03-08-2005, 08:44 PM
SH3 supports LAN multiplayer games for up to eight players and online games for up to four players, on Ubi.com.

Two modes are available: scripted missions and generated missions.

The scripted mission included in the game covers a series of famous convoy battles. You can add more scripted missions by using the mission editor.

Generated missions are based on the campaign data. Using the mission generator, the host will select specific options like mission starting date, type and experience of enemies, u-boat starting positions, and more.

rgds,
BobTuck.

JG27_Arklight
03-08-2005, 08:47 PM
Thx for the info, Bob.

Online should be quite an experience.

I hope we get to play together sometime with voice comms and the whole sha-bang. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Despite everybody's political views, etc., here, I think it will be great to play online with everybody. I can't wait.

Good times, they are a commin'!

Firedragon1717
03-08-2005, 08:57 PM
Nice :-) Generated missions will surely make multiplayers a replayable experience. Also did you notice if the generated missions is similar to say the dynamic campaign mode where you keep patrolling and hunting endlessly or do generated missions have a set number of targets and when they are destroyed the session is over?

archer49d
03-08-2005, 09:04 PM
It would be cool if you and one or two or three other people could play a campaign together as a single wolfpack of four boats (I know that didn't happen in the real war) but it would be nice to see how long four "comrades in arms" last working in unison.

Firedragon1717
03-08-2005, 09:07 PM
Yup dynamic campaign would be cool, there is the issue of people wanting to use time compression at different times but it could be overcome by having the wolfpack represented as a single moving unit thereby effectively forcing everyone to stick together and use the same time compression. Or you could have everyone piloting the sub on different stations although it might get a little boring for say the radio guy or people who dont get to shoot, but who knows it might not.

HeibgesU999
03-08-2005, 10:30 PM
Time Compression generally causes problems in online games.

I have talked with a couple of folks about 48 hour real time sub battles.

kilrathi36
03-09-2005, 05:14 AM
I want to know what happens when let's say me and my friend play a mission together and my sub is sunk, can I still spectate him while he plays the mission still?

Potatodip
03-09-2005, 05:20 AM
4 subs on hunting mission toghter only limit is fuel and torps...i could live with that, onfortently real live would cut into this, not all go to sleep the same time and everyone would have to "stop" when one head to bed.

But deffently, this game will reqire some "girlfriend visits her friends over weekend talks" lol

Gouldjg
03-09-2005, 05:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kilrathi36:
I want to know what happens when let's say me and my friend play a mission together and my sub is sunk, can I still spectate him while he plays the mission still? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes you can, You can go right upto him and watch him get DC on his head or you can look above the water and watch the DD action. You will know his location as a small orange circle helps you to easilly locate when spectating or using external cam in Single player.

If you have the action cam on you will see him launch his torpedos whilst you are playing aswell.

Muppetts
03-09-2005, 06:16 AM
Can we start our own servers based on pre-defined missions we have set up or is only on the Ubi Server?

Looking forward to working with you all out there in SHIII forum land.

approx 9 days to go for THE GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Willey
03-09-2005, 08:25 AM
I really hope that Jiri will open a SH3 room in Hyperlobby. Ubi.com sucks, as it needs ActiveX to be enabled.

Nieldo
03-09-2005, 08:29 AM
yeah ive only ust started using hyperlobby for LOMAC but its really great http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hope there will be a room open for SH3 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

badhat17
03-09-2005, 11:10 AM
Any indication from the manual as to how many AI units can be included in an online scenario ?

kilrathi36
03-09-2005, 04:59 PM
I hope there is direct IP connection as I hate match making rooms like EA online for example.

kilrathi36
03-10-2005, 04:34 PM
http://www.9teuflottille.de/site/reviews/sh3/sh3_en.html

In preview it states:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It looks like it's only possible to play multiplayer via LAN or GameShow at the current state. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, does this mean there is no direct TCP/IP? I mean you have online activation etc yet you still don't allow TCP/IP but force to use some Gameshow matchmaking system? I hope Gameshow dont suck in terms of breaking people's games or making things hard on people, thanks.

HeibgesU999
03-10-2005, 04:39 PM
Being able to save a multiplayer campaign would be the answer.

IL-2/AEP/PF has a ongoing multiplayer campaign mechanism, with stats kept on the hosts machine.

Even doing a "realistic" convoy battle might take more than 20 hrs of real time.

Capt.LoneRanger
03-10-2005, 04:42 PM
If it's playable on LAN it's basically playable on the internet, too, as they both use the identical TCP/IP-protocol.

The problem might be the netcode. I don't know if the engine is really streamlined for minimum traffic, though.

I'll tell you more next week - I just hope there are some other lobbies supporting the game. The ubi.com-gameservice is just a bug bunch of bugs and memory-holes. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

kilrathi36
03-10-2005, 08:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Capt.LoneRanger:
If it's playable on LAN it's basically playable on the internet, too, as they both use the identical TCP/IP-protocol.

The problem might be the netcode. I don't know if the engine is really streamlined for minimum traffic, though.

I'll tell you more next week - I just hope there are some other lobbies supporting the game. The ubi.com-gameservice is just a bug bunch of bugs and memory-holes. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope you can host game directly with TCP/IP and have your friends join through it directly without any game lobbies ****, thanks.

Capt.LoneRanger
03-11-2005, 12:24 AM
That will be possible for sure, as you have to fo it this way to be able to join any server, kilrathi36.

kilrathi36
03-11-2005, 02:03 AM
I have this one more important question:

The cooperative multiplayer:

Is it only 1 player per submarine or can you have few players play in same submarine managing specific officers/stations? I guess its only 1 per sub, but man I wish they had option to play lets say 4 players in 1 sub that way you could have single player campaign work for coop and no problems with time compression. Maybe that be possible in future with modification or patch that be great.

Tomcat41
03-11-2005, 02:10 AM
1 player per sub

i dont mindm 4 players in one sub would be tedious as hell... theres not enough to do in the non modern subs imho...

kilrathi36
03-11-2005, 05:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tomcat41:
1 player per sub

i dont mindm 4 players in one sub would be tedious as hell... theres not enough to do in the non modern subs imho... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree, in addition if you had option of both being on 1 sub or 1 player per sub it would be great, plus if your sub gets sunk it be nice if you can help out the player that is still alive http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif