PDA

View Full Version : Options

GreatFishWizard
05-16-2006, 05:21 AM
I've been worried about some of the things in the trailers. Things like arrow trails, sword trails, and slow motion deaths are nice to some, but for me it ruins immersion. My mind is very aware that swords and arrows don't leave trails in the air, and it notes them, which distracts me from the atmosphere.

Might these be able to be turned off, at least in a configuration file if not within the game's options menu?

GreatFishWizard
05-16-2006, 05:21 AM
I've been worried about some of the things in the trailers. Things like arrow trails, sword trails, and slow motion deaths are nice to some, but for me it ruins immersion. My mind is very aware that swords and arrows don't leave trails in the air, and it notes them, which distracts me from the atmosphere.

Might these be able to be turned off, at least in a configuration file if not within the game's options menu?

Dregedon
05-16-2006, 07:53 AM
I think (not sure) that they do this if you use same special hit as if you had magic on it and would hit/shoot..just think of slashing with a torch the file would be a little slower becaus of the wind and as far as i know a sword is quite arowdynamic

GreatFishWizard
05-16-2006, 08:21 AM
I'm a swordsman. I own a five hundred dollar replica by Albion. There's no way a sword's ever going to leave a trail. Neither will an arrow. Watch the trailer movies again; the weapons leaving trails in the trailer movies are ordinary, non-magic ones. No spell is cast.

The reasoning behind many movies and games having trails behind the sword is supposedly to make it more look faster and more powerful. But I'm no dunce and my mind knows just how fast and powerful a sword is and should be. Therefore, trails detract from the immersion, not add to it.

But this isn't a request to eliminate trails. I'm asking about the option of turning them off, since it is a graphical affect.

omegafrank1989
05-16-2006, 02:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GreatFishWizard:
I'm a swordsman. I own a five hundred dollar replica by Albion. There's no way a sword's ever going to leave a trail. Neither will an arrow. Watch the trailer movies again; the weapons leaving trails in the trailer movies are ordinary, non-magic ones. No spell is cast.

The reasoning behind many movies and games having trails behind the sword is supposedly to make it more look faster and more powerful. But I'm no dunce and my mind knows just how fast and powerful a sword is and should be. Therefore, trails detract from the immersion, not add to it.

But this isn't a request to eliminate trails. I'm asking about the option of turning them off, since it is a graphical affect. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you really need a five hundred dollar replica to affirm that swords do not leave any trails... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

GreatFishWizard
05-16-2006, 11:53 PM
No, but I love swords and owning an accurate replica is a good way to become familiar with and knowledgeable about them.

Dregedon
05-17-2006, 10:51 AM
well if there isnt an option..then some person will make a mod that does take it out..i mean..for pixel based games its ok but 3d..arnt we getting over are heads with this? lol?

btw...dont look at my spelling on my last post now i see it im like..wtf dude...

Archaven
05-18-2006, 02:32 AM
I can't believe this is even a complain? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

GreatFishWizard
05-18-2006, 03:59 AM
You can't? That's rather petty of you. I, on the other hand, can't believe that you think that trails and slow motion deaths are good things, and, even more, I cannot believe that you feel that anyone who thinks otherwise is silly.

Unlike you, who probably have no imagination from watching too much television, I like to become immersed in my games. That means I want to feel like I'm there. Things which defy logic, physics, and reason - like flashy trails and other silly cartoon effects on non-magic items - break immersion.

Realism increases believability. Believability increases immersion. And immersion increases enjoyment. Now, before you set in with the tired old "lol it's fantasy" argument, know that fantasy and reality are not mutually exclusive. The reason for this is that fantasy can be very believable (people have feared, for example, the dead for thousands of years). Moreover, the supernatural is not a proven impossibility. Other worlds are, though improbable, a possibility.

Slow motion deaths and trails on swords and arrows, on the other hand, are impossibilities. Now, some people like flashy cartoon graphics - they do not wish to become immersed because they fear the imagination, being unused to exercising it due to exposure to the television. However, some people do not like flashy cartoon graphics. I am one of those. As I said, I am very fond of swordplay. I practice it in the real world. And I want the swordplay in my games to be just like real swordplay. Is that too much to ask?

The same goes for my entire gaming experience. I want to feel as if I am there, and seeing things which are a complete physical impossibility, with no explaination (such as magic), like trails on non-magical swords, comepletely ruin it. They scream, "This is just a game!" And I do not want to be reminded that I am playing a game.

Anyway, this thread which you so scorn is not a complaint. It isn't a demand. It's a suggestion for an improvement. I'm merely requesting an option for those to whom this is a relatively major issue, or at least an answer. I feel that Arkane is quite competent enough to decide whether or not this issue warrants an option.

This game, as any, needs fanatics. What it does not need is fanboys. A fanboy is one who insists that there are no problems with a game and zealously attacks anyone who points one out. They are detrimental to the game, the community, and the developers they claim to praise, for they bar improvements to the game.

Justice
05-18-2006, 08:22 AM
*Sneaks in and steels the sword* http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Else I agree... it's nnoying and looks stupid... Couldn't I just hold the sword for a moment http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif

Dregedon
05-18-2006, 10:17 AM
iv watched a movie and iv seen how they look..they arnt as bad as i thought when you discribed them but yeah i am also a guy for the realism i mean i think a fighting game with out blood sucks the more destroyable the landscape is the better the more places you can cut some one through the better the better the graphics lol duuh but any ways i hope you can turn this off it looks..dumb but the slowmotion i only saw was when they stuck the sword in the body and kicked him well thats ok i can live with that but if there is a lot of slowmotion deaths that would suck..btw darkmessiah still will be fun no matter these little stupid things and lets hope the ai is like it is told unlike oblivion....iv heard them talking about seeing mudcrabs over 100 times..stupid just plain stupid

mightnmagic456
05-29-2006, 05:58 AM
I agree with great fish about the trails, it does ruin the immersion for me. I would like to have an option to remove the trails. It's seems like a logical complaint, what's wrong with it Arch?

As for slow motion deaths, I don't mind them. In fact, they are kinda cool. But I suppose it does break the immersion for a couple seconds.

pomimimin
05-29-2006, 09:30 AM
I agree that slowmotion deaths ruin immersion, but arrow and sword trails i could care less about, as long as the melee action is well done, it will not hinder my experience at all.

D2rkPr13st
05-29-2006, 11:13 AM
About the slowmotion deaths it would be intersting the 1st and the 2nd time but when u have played it much then it would be pointless, but i acctually don`t think they`ll make it because how are u going to make it in multiplayer?

But about the sword trails i couldn`t care less

I.G
05-29-2006, 12:09 PM
Options are always good.

As for slow-mo deaths, I'd really like an option to turn that off, since it'll get boring after a while.

And the trails aren't that bad. Didn't even notice them until I saw this thread, and I had to go back and watch the trailers again to see. Personally I don't mind, but if it's not too hard an option really would be nice, for those who this matters to.