PDA

View Full Version : Will it be 1st or 3rd person?

Zymmin
01-23-2005, 08:17 AM
Has anyone conjectured how the rendering will be? Will it be 1st person like Myst, Riven, Exile, & Revelation?

Or will it we play EOA in 3rd person like Uru.

My hope is the latter, and from the looks of teaser images on the Myst V site, it just might be.

GadrenURU
01-23-2005, 09:39 AM
your question seems odd...it's obvious that EoA is going to be realtime 3D like Uru (and not prerendered like the other Myst games), but we don't know about 1st or 3rd person yet.

ivanxuereb
01-23-2005, 09:48 AM
If the game is in third person then we know that Cyan has lost it.

thony216
01-23-2005, 10:09 AM
I'm hoping it will be both 1st and 3rd person, like Uru. But I also hope the 3rd person mode will be more like Max Payne II than Uru was. Uru's 3rd person mode was difficult to navigate sometimes because the camera would move around to some strange angles.

Mysthints
01-23-2005, 10:12 AM
Personally, I'm with thony... I want 3rd person default with an optional 1st person setting. If we were talking about a prerendered game, I would want first person, but when it comes to realtime 3D, I think Cyan's right that the 3rd person gives a much more "cinematic" experience. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Zymmin
01-23-2005, 10:31 AM
I guess I should have asked - will it be "realtime 3D" or "pre-rendered". I liked the feeling of running around in Uru.

References on other forums leads me to believe that this will be reatime 3D like Uru but will include more advanced rendering to blend the two togther (as musch as possible).

I guess that I also felt like Uru was left unfinished (and no, I'm not whining about the death of "Live" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ). I am just hoping that some of the D'ni history that could have been tied together is put in EOA.

What about Yeesha?? How rude was it to lead us down a journey, then take off down the volcano without us?

I want to learn more about the Bahro.

I want to visit the bottom of the Great Shaft (maybe they will give us a parachute as a clothing reward?)

Just speculating.

myst_magi
01-23-2005, 04:12 PM
I think it should be like Revelation: first person all the way. I loved it like that.

iofthemourning
01-23-2005, 04:24 PM
i'm with you myst_magi. This isn't Max bloody Payne.

qdarabont82
01-23-2005, 05:32 PM
the game is going to be 1st person only,just like realmyst. i am 100% sure. all the myst games are 1st person this isnt going to be any different.

GadrenURU
01-23-2005, 07:11 PM
please don't state that things are facts until we actually get official word. this is speculation only.

i am personally thinking that it will be 1st person, despite how much i enjoyed the 3rd person view in Uru...

Nebodin
01-23-2005, 07:24 PM
I love it when people are 100% sure of something they have 0% proof of. Now that's faith for you.

the_fibber
01-23-2005, 11:32 PM
I am under the impression that since this is a Myst game and not an Uru game (Cyan were always very keen to keep those two from becoming confused) so therefore you are not playing Uru-you but rather Myst-you. The two I describe (just my own personal opinion) as thus:

Myst-You: Never seen, never heard. You found the myst book when it fell through the fissure and met Atrus and his family. You rescued him from the trap he was in and have helped time and again. Apparently, if the time frame is correct, you lived 200 years ago from today, since it can be assumed that no time travel is involved in linking.

Uru-You: You. actually you. You've played the myst games, probably you've read the books, and then you head out to the cleft and find out it was all real. You never met Atrus, they are all long dead. you are discovering the remnants of a great history.

Myst-you was always first person, uru-you was 3rd person by default. This was always a defining difference between the two characters as well as the games.

So for a game to tie up all possible Myst storylines, I would hope it would be in 1st person. Just my opinion.

qdarabont82
01-24-2005, 05:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nebodin:
I love it when people are 100% sure of something they have 0% proof of. Now that's faith for you. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
its like telling me we have no proof that the game isnt going to be a multiplayer adventure so we cant be 100% sure . common logic is my proof

Ian [Atrus]
01-24-2005, 06:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by qdarabont82:
its like telling me we have no proof that the game isnt going to be a multiplayer adventure so we cant be 100% sure. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually we don't have any proof of EoA *not* being multiplayer. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

qdarabont82
01-24-2005, 06:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Actually we don't have any proof of EoA *not* being multiplayer. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
i give up http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Vertigo3
01-24-2005, 09:36 AM
I for one hope it is going to be 1st person or at least have an option for it. I always played Uru in first person mode except where jumping was involved (So I could see when I hit the edge). I am hoping that EoA will be just the first person and I also hope it doesn't involve any jumping like in Uru, but that is a different story.

Reverend Vader
01-25-2005, 02:10 AM
It will be first-person.... and when we complete the game, we'll be asked to place our Uru disc in the CD-ROM drive and then all of the Myst V ages will be added to our Uru book shelves and we'll be able to explore in third-person!

Yeah, baby! (How's that for a pipe-dream rumor?)

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Ian [Atrus]
01-25-2005, 05:02 AM
I sure wish it could be true! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
But then I'd need to buy a new hard drive just to keep all that stuff installed at the same time...

Nebodin
01-25-2005, 01:21 PM
And then while you're playing Uru if you put in your Riven disc, you can play the whole of Riven in realtime 3d, at a higher quality than the original, in 3rd person, except at the end of the game you tame the whark and then you ride it into Ahnonay and then swim to the bottom and then realise that there is a door to a 5th room which actually does take you back in time but you end up off the coast of Myst island and you see yourself link onto the dock from when you played the first time except you, the stranger, actually looks like Atrus and you realise that all along Atrus was delusional and actually is the stranger and you were playing as Atrus and he had been talking to himself all along!!!

Wait... no... that doesn't make sense because in Exile, Saavedro didn't recognise you when he expected Atrus... so scratch that, it probably won't work. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Zymmin
01-25-2005, 03:16 PM
I was thinking about all the Ages that they may have been working on for Live but didn't get to "publish". It would seem natural that they would want to use them.

At first I hated the 3rd person view. But when I saw how hard hte jumping, climbing, etc was in 1st person, I gave it a second shot and fell in love with it.

I seriously doubt that this will be multiplayer after the last PR fiasco they went through. (Although all the UU die-hards might be influencing them to think different).

It would be cool to revisit Riven in 3rd person!

zippea
01-29-2005, 12:03 AM
I believe the game should just be like the first 3 mysts. Uru, in my opinion wasn't as fun because of the added 3rd dimension where you walk around like your'e in a FPS. The incoperation of the 360? feature was excellent and I think having image stills for moving around seperated myst from a lot of other games. In my opinion, creating a 3d environment as in Uru will dumb down the graphics quality and will also follow the bandwagon theme of moving footstep by footstep. The image stills in my opinion were much more beautiful and precise with unsurmountable detail, rather than the general textures as used in Uru. I remember playing the first myst just a little after the Super Nintendo came out and I was fascinated at age 5 by the difference and excitement of the game as it moved through its sometimes gruesome or breathtaking scenes. Don't get me wrong, Uru was a great game, but I believe that Ubisoft and Cyan attempted the 3d persepctive and I don't think it went very well. So I hope they learned a lesson and ditch the idea and stay with what they've been doing for myst I,II,III,and IV. But if they decide to incoperate the "Max bloody Payne" type of movement in Myst V, stinks for me, I'll still buy it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

GadrenURU
01-29-2005, 05:13 AM
well, stinks for you...the screenshots we've seen indicate it's realtime 3D, not prerendered. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Rocky1138
01-31-2005, 10:36 PM
I have never used a better control scheme than the one used in realMYST. I was clammoring for this control setup during Uru beta and all the way through but it was never implemented. I really do hope it will be this time around. Even if it's just an option.

Secondly, it will have to be 1st person. It's a MYST game. You don't know who (or WHAT) "The Stranger" is. That's the beauty of Myst: The fact that the person you're playing is forever unkown. It's also one of the things that makes the Myst games universally accepted. The person may be a male or female. Black or white. Gay or straight. Human or alien. Who knows?

I think if they defined who "The Stranger" is in Myst V and make the game 3rd person, it would be looked upon as the black sheep of the Myst games. It's just not Myst. But hell, who am I? I didn't make the series. I'm just saying.

notMark1
02-02-2005, 12:26 PM
I actually hope that there will be an option for some kind of 3rd person view. I tend to get motion sickness from 1st person view games. Having a fixed target in the center of the screen to look at seems to keep that from happening.

Perhaps 3rd person could be implemented with a nondescript avatar, like a shadow maybe? (To be silly for a moment, how about a giant letter "U" or a floating Cyan logo?) It could be almost anything, as long as it was a fixed visual point to "hold on to" while the background moves.

However, I also think that 1st person should be there, probably even the default, for that "classic Myst feel".

-Mark

Kryptic3D
02-02-2005, 01:30 PM
I've never understood these issues with 1'st and 3'rd POV.

You're all aware that you can CHOOSE between 1'st and 3'rd person view at anytime in Uru... right?

This game will probably be the same since it's using the same engine.

Tora_Neko
02-06-2005, 05:59 PM
I'm hoping for the classic Myst 1st person. If it is and end to the myst storyline but not and end to the uru storyline, then it is more likely to be 1st person. However if it is ending the uru storyline as well (I hope not!) then it is more likely to be 3rd person like uru is.

Yes Kryptic, we are all aware of being able to switch between 1st and 3rd person in Uru. Some people like 1st person better, others like 3rd person better. I believe the people who prefer 1st person find it annoying that the POV switches automatically to 3rd person when you do stuff like climb ladders and pull levers. The 'issue' is all a matter of conflicting opinions.

GadrenURU
02-06-2005, 07:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tora_Neko:
I believe the people who prefer 1st person find it annoying that the POV switches automatically to 3rd person when you do stuff like climb ladders and pull levers. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

of course, in Uru you can set it to not switch to 3d person in the majority of cases...just go to the Settings menu, and select "Stay in First Person".

Coronagold
02-06-2005, 08:46 PM
You don't stay in 1st person during climbs & jumps. It automatically jumps to 3rd person for those clips.

IMForeman
02-06-2005, 09:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Coronagold:
You don't stay in 1st person during climbs & jumps. It automatically jumps to 3rd person for those clips. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As Gadren said in the post above, you do stay in first person for these events if you click "Stay in First Person". The only time it will switch to 3rd is for cutscenes.

-IMF

Coronagold
02-07-2005, 06:00 AM
I tried the "Stay in 1st person" control option. Didn't work for me.