PDA

View Full Version : dark map

shelaghlynne
12-08-2010, 12:40 PM
I just started the new campaign and the map is dark! I upped the brightness and contrast to no avail. This is unplayable---what a waste of money. Does anyone else have this problem? Any way to fix it?

Hernald
12-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Just complete the first task or two and it brightens up.

shelaghlynne
12-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Thanks. Can you give me some details? Like, do I have to build up the first area or can I just go attack the next area (which seems to be the first task) and then the map will lighten? It would be hard to build up in the dark.

Hernald
12-09-2010, 04:35 AM
I think you need to conquer the three areas closest to you. Developing them may not be a condition for the map brightening, but you will need to do something, building fortifications for instance, in order to complete the second task successfully.

shelaghlynne
12-09-2010, 08:45 AM
Thanks. I tried that and the map did brighten quite a bit but am I enjoying the game? No. I didn't even see my second army until after I'd conquered the third area. Now I'm behind in fortification so can't fend off the third wave. The idea of starting again in the dark is...not appealing.

Hernald
12-09-2010, 07:32 PM
Think of it as a challenge. I found this map very enjoyable.

Hernald
12-10-2010, 04:25 AM
If you don't like night bits you will enjoy the coastal map even less that this one. Personally I think it adds something to the game.

shelaghlynne
12-10-2010, 06:02 AM
I finished the first one and did enjoy most of it, but I wish ubisoft would not have dark maps. I get eyestrain easily, and straining to see the screen gives me a migraine.

The coastal map---is that dark the whole time? If it lightens, how soon does it do so? I only kept on at the first map because I knew it lightened up. Thanks!

franpa9
12-10-2010, 07:55 AM
Get a new monitor if the dark bits annoy you. I doubt it is a problem for the majority of players.

Hernald
12-10-2010, 09:05 AM
The coastal map is dark for one episode, at least I assume it's only one, I haven't completed the map yet. It's while you are dealing with some ghosts.
That episode does take longer than the opening of the Eternal City map though.

shelaghlynne
12-10-2010, 09:47 AM
Thanks, Hernald---good to know there is light at the end of the tunnel. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

shelaghlynne
12-13-2010, 08:25 AM
Hernald, I have reached the coastal map ghost episode. I've just restarted this map because I was getting beaten and will use a different strategy. But if you have finished the ghost episode, can you tell me whether the map brightens up after it? Thanks. The dark gave me eyestrain.

Hernald
12-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Yes, once you've sent clerics to the ghosts' point of origin the map brightens up. Good luck!

franpa9
12-13-2010, 03:12 PM
Just wait it out and eventually you'll be told to send the clerics.

Irmalover
12-13-2010, 09:52 PM
I have played both maps, the one with the Eternal City even three times to experience each variant.

The Eternal City map lights up when you repelled three attacks by neutral armies. The third counts 24 men, and it's best to support your city with at least a novice to keep your wooden fortication standing.

You don't have immediate access to the occult science until you send 1 beer and 1 book to the university (if you choose for princess Lucinda and her allies). It gives you the time to train all required clerics for all those sciences. The green opponent has his interest too, so train some extra clerics to overbid him. Also prepare 9 Fathers in advance.

The coastal map needs some more strategy:
Start bribing the sector with gold and coal; then bribe all sectors to the north and receive a little army of just three men to take the sector surrounding the trading post. The blue enemy can't trade now.
You are asked to buy ten horsemen, but wait with that.
First you already bribed the sector with iron to produce tools and weapons in advance.
Bribe the sectors east and west from the trade sector, and at least the sector to the south of the ghost city. Upgrade the fortifications of those sectors to stone. Then you can build up your cavalry and the ghosts will attack. The map gets dark.
After the first defeat of the ghosts you get the plans of the church and the stronghold. Build them and upgrade them to their maximum. Train the required clerics and send them to the ghost city. The map gets light again and you can build a ghost army. It's a funny sight if you mix up ghosts and living soldiers in an army.