PDA

View Full Version : UbiSoft Dumps StarForce

Iservealot
04-13-2006, 10:35 AM
It seems as if UBI has decided to not release future Games with the Wonderfull Staforce. How sad http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Here is the link - http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30981

Nothing is "Official" but, I am pretty sure they will.

And why do they listen to other forums, but not us!?!?!? dang we suck....

Iservealot
04-13-2006, 10:35 AM
It seems as if UBI has decided to not release future Games with the Wonderfull Staforce. How sad http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Nothing is "Official" but, I am pretty sure they will.

And why do they listen to other forums, but not us!?!?!? dang we suck....

vega13
04-13-2006, 10:56 AM
We got SvM for PC in Double Agent, so they did listen to us http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif. Also, why is it sad that Starforce isn't for future games? That's great news, starforce sucks. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

Chimera87
04-13-2006, 11:35 AM
StarForce is great, w/e. Doesn't matter to me, I'll buy it legally too and you won't stop the illegal downloaders anyway.

Iservealot
04-13-2006, 11:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We got SvM for PC in Double Agent, so they did listen to us Wink. Also, why is it sad that Starforce isn't for future games? That's great news, starforce sucks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ever heard of Sarcasim ?

vega13
04-13-2006, 12:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Iservealot:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We got SvM for PC in Double Agent, so they did listen to us Wink. Also, why is it sad that Starforce isn't for future games? That's great news, starforce sucks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ever heard of Sarcasim ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guess it slipped my mind. You still have the "Only SvS means I wont buy" sig and your post sounded pretty serious so I think your using sarcasm for a cover-up. Who knows? Sarcasm is easily detectable on the internet. Psh...

Vth_F_Smith_
04-13-2006, 12:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Iservealot:
It seems as if UBI has decided to not release future Games with the Wonderfull Staforce. How sad Sad

Nothing is "Official" but, I am pretty sure they will. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Actually it is official because it's been confirmed by a french community manager and community managers are usually Ubisoft employees.

Eclyps3
04-13-2006, 12:41 PM
Here's hoping DA won't be StarFarce infected.

Epicurus_13
04-13-2006, 12:48 PM
Copy Protection = Good

Starforce = Evil

Talk about the cure being worse than the disease...

St0rm_5had0w
04-13-2006, 01:17 PM
I'm hoping they scrap disc protection and just do online authentication when you install, and when you log into ubi.com to play vs.

Iservealot
04-13-2006, 04:47 PM
I havent had any fustrations with the Direct2Drive copy of Splinter Cell Chaos Theory.

Only problem is that everytime u install u gotta email them for a new key.

St0rm_5had0w
04-14-2006, 01:58 AM
Do they respond in a timely fashion with they key? And are you able to back up the install onto a DVD?

goodkebab_00
04-14-2006, 02:34 AM
have no illusions about copy protection. The publishers are fully aware that they cannot stop cracks....their only desire is to slow down the availability of the cracks for the first couple of months because that is the peak selling time for games.

FIN-Ravager
04-14-2006, 06:00 AM
Great news, if correct.

tevel3
04-14-2006, 07:13 AM
some ppl will be happy to hear this.
i still didn't understand why ppl didn't like the starforce?
anyway i would buy it with the starforce and without it...

BatmanNewsChris
04-14-2006, 04:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tevel3:
anyway i would buy it with the starforce and without it... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Starforce has been known to stop your CD drive from working, and cause applications to stop functioning without you knowing about it. STARFORCE SUCKS!!!!!

Chimera87
04-14-2006, 04:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eminemdrdre00:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tevel3:

Starforce has been known to stop your CD drive from working, and cause applications to stop functioning without you knowing about it. STARFORCE SUCKS!!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>w/e

Zedblade
04-14-2006, 04:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chimera87:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eminemdrdre00:

Starforce has been known to stop your CD drive from working, and cause applications to stop functioning without you knowing about it. STARFORCE SUCKS!!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>w/e </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just becuase it didn't happen to YOU, doesn't mean its not true.

Chimera87
04-14-2006, 05:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zedblade:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chimera87:

Starforce has been known to stop your CD drive from working, and cause applications to stop functioning without you knowing about it. STARFORCE SUCKS!!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>w/e </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just becuase it didn't happen to YOU, doesn't mean its not true. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That just makes me wonder, why noone showed up to proof that starforce was an evil devil, that eats ur drives. They never gave out the prize money. That makes me wonder, why the thousands of complaints kept rolling in. But like I said, w/e

Iservealot
04-14-2006, 06:12 PM
The only problem i have is that a program is installing drivers for my cd rom=not cool = not tested for ALL drives= problems.

On another note, UBI has not officially made it Official http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31016

Although it seems they are still gonna use another very strict DRM.

Also, about the direct2srive thingy, they DO respond very quickly. You are also able to put your install folder on a DVD. Its that simple. U can also download it as many times as you need too.

lg2113
04-14-2006, 07:41 PM
Does that mean there will be another patch for Chaos theory to remove StarForce completely?

Iservealot
04-14-2006, 08:06 PM
No. Only future games wont have it.

SplintacellDA
04-14-2006, 08:56 PM
ok now b4 i say this plz dont say "omfg what a n00b" or any other shizz making fun of me becuz i just want to know....wutz starforce?

cooldude6681
04-15-2006, 02:35 AM
Starforce is copy protection software, simply put.

Eclyps3
04-15-2006, 04:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zedblade:

Just becuase it didn't happen to YOU, doesn't mean its not true. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That just makes me wonder, why noone showed up to proof that starforce was an evil devil, that eats ur drives. They never gave out the prize money. That makes me wonder, why the thousands of complaints kept rolling in. But like I said, w/e </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would YOU just drop everything, put together a couple of systems, just so you learn how to reproduce the problem, go to Russia for a week, go in the office of 100 men and threaten their jobs?
I think not.
Don't hang that "StarForce challenge" up high because it's jack ****.
I haven't encountered problems with it personally, but I still hate it because of the long waiting times. Simple as that. And the funniest part is that it doesn't stop hackers. There are still ways around it.

CellAgent51
04-15-2006, 09:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SplintacellDA:
ok now b4 i say this plz dont say "omfg what a n00b" or any other shizz making fun of me becuz i just want to know....wutz starforce? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

(This is all my opinion and should be regarded as so. I do not have detailed technical knowledge of Starforce copy protection. The descriptions you are about to read is a culmination of approximately 12 months of Internet messages and other types of Internet research. I do have empirical knowledge of how Windows OS interfaces with optical drives having performed experiments without Starforce installed on the computer. In addition I do have an inoperable writing optical drive that no longer recognizes blank media. This I believe was caused by Starforce being on my computer.)

Starforce is copy protection software used by some games. This software installs on your computer without your knowledge (unless you have read descriptions about Starforce from their website). The software monitors all optical drives that can write regardless if they are DVD or CD. When this software detects that a Starforce protected game is being copied - it prevents the copy. How it does this varies. It ranges from forcefully rebooting the computer to downgrading the I/O performance of the optical drive. It is this degradation that Windows OS detects. If it detects that degradation enough times, Windows reverts the drive I/O to older style of I/O which effectively removes any writing capability of the optical drive. Depending on the optical drive BIOS, Windows can even cause the drive to not operate at all. This copy protection software does other things, but for purposes of this post I am not going to mention them.

In addition, to remove the Starforce software is difficult. You have to go to their website and find the page for the software to remove Starforce. Then run the program to remove it. This all assumes that the gamer knows what is happening and researches on what to do. Despite the impression given on web forums, the number of people who do this is a shockingly small percentage.

Further clouding this issue, especially on web forums, is people who don't understand what I just described Starforce to be. There are others who don't believe it. Then there are those who haven't experienced problems. People that don't have optical writing drive(s) won't experience the problem. As obvious as that sounds, there are those who don't have the background knowledge necessary to understand why this is. Among the people who have the right combination of OS software and optical drive BIOS that has been tested by Star-Force to function correctly - these people won't experience the problem either.

Star-Force has stated that have have tested countless optical writing drives. Whether this testing includes various levels of patched Windows OSes is doubtful at best. Given the number of Windows OSes and the number of patches for those OSes and even given the computer minimum requirements the amount of combinations to be tested is staggering.

In addition since this technology is meant to prevent copying of games and therefore prevent digital distribution of games, the attitude and trust level of each side is adversarial at best. It is because of this distrust that what information does get out is immediately regarded as suspect and conspiritorial. It takes something extreme to get either side to listen. In these days that something extreme means a lawsuit. Which is exactly what has happened. There is a lawsuit against Ubisoft for using Starforce copy protection. I don't know the exact details of the lawsuit (I doubt anyone will except the lawyers and the judge) and even if I did, this post is getting too long anyway - ie. look it up.

Ubisoft may have been thinking about not using Starforce copy protection before the lawsuit, but it was the lawsuit that finalized the decision for them. For the consumers of Ubisoft games (I like the Splinter Cell series among others) this is good news that Starforce won't be used on newly released titles. It has yet to be seen what different copy protection will be used in it's place. Make no mistake, Ubisoft is so big that is has to include copy protection on their games. Ubisoft deserves the money for the games they produce. Others may disagree and that is why this whole situation exists. Believe it or not, software publishers would rather not use copy protection beause it causes problems with consumers. I understand why copy protection has to be there. I even support it for the reason that creators and publishers should make money for a period of time.

In a utopian world copy protection wouldn't be needed. But since we don't . . . . we do.

-CellAgent51

Zedblade
04-16-2006, 06:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eclyps3:

Just becuase it didn't happen to YOU, doesn't mean its not true. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That just makes me wonder, why noone showed up to proof that starforce was an evil devil, that eats ur drives. They never gave out the prize money. That makes me wonder, why the thousands of complaints kept rolling in. But like I said, w/e </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would YOU just drop everything, put together a couple of systems, just so you learn how to reproduce the problem, go to Russia for a week, go in the office of 100 men and threaten their jobs?
I think not.
Don't hang that "StarForce challenge" up high because it's jack ****.
I haven't encountered problems with it personally, but I still hate it because of the long waiting times. Simple as that. And the funniest part is that it doesn't stop hackers. There are still ways around it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

QFE

I said before and I'll say it again. ANYONE thinking that the 'contest' Starforce held was evidence that all of the complaints were lies just becuase noone showed is a complete idiot and should be beat to death.

St0rm_5had0w
05-02-2006, 04:35 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

Stray1
07-25-2006, 12:29 PM
Funny I just posted about what a shame it is that they DONT do that. But I doubt it will ever happen. What kind of protection would they replace it with?

Its a damn shame they dont do something about the starforce on their current games. I just reinstalled chaos theory to see if things have changed, nope. The game ran fine, but all other programs slowed to a crawl. I should hav eknown better, that POS game cost me one dvd burner.

One thing to note is that of all 6 of the computers in my house, they all had trouble. They all have philips or Liteon dvdburners and VIA chipsets. maybe thats the problem? I have essentially wasted $30 since it wont run on any computer in my house without complications.

I do know that if you hold SHIFT when you boot into the game it will ask for a special code that STARFORCE can give you. I BELEIVE this code will turn the starfoce drivers OFF. Is this code dependant on your cdkey? or just the presence of the disk? I wasnt given a singleplayer cdkey, though I have a versus key, I dlove to play this game again but not at the risk to my equipment.

Iservealot
07-25-2006, 12:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stray1:
Funny I just posted about what a shame it is that they DONT do that. But I doubt it will ever happen. What kind of protection would they replace it with?

Its a damn shame they dont do something about the starforce on their current games. I just reinstalled chaos theory to see if things have changed, nope. The game ran fine, but all other programs slowed to a crawl. I should hav eknown better, that POS game cost me one dvd burner.

One thing to note is that of all 6 of the computers in my house, they all had trouble. They all have philips or Liteon dvdburners and VIA chipsets. maybe thats the problem? I have essentially wasted $30 since it wont run on any computer in my house without complications.

I do know that if you hold SHIFT when you boot into the game it will ask for a special code that STARFORCE can give you. I BELEIVE this code will turn the starfoce drivers OFF. Is this code dependant on your cdkey? or just the presence of the disk? I wasnt given a singleplayer cdkey, though I have a versus key, I dlove to play this game again but not at the risk to my equipment. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

everything else runs slow (when the game is active) because Unreal games use 100% of teh CPU, almost always. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

psyichic
07-25-2006, 01:35 PM
The so called code you speak of merely disables protection for that game. It does nothing to the drivers which act like malware practically.

Just so everyone knows all rumors are grounded in some form of truth. I have personally had star force cause some freaky things to happen. I can no longer play music directly from my optical drives without it causing the entire computer to freeze up.

I know that this was because of star force.

Spartan_M.A.D.
07-25-2006, 04:24 PM
I couldnt burn music to a CD until I used the removal tool to get rid of Starforce.

@Iservealot: I'm pretty sure he was talking about the computer slowing down to a crawl after he exited the game. Not to mention that the game doesnt even push my CPU past 50%.