PDA

View Full Version : Which Graphics are Better: Half-Life 2 or SCCT?

JBeans
03-15-2005, 06:05 PM

JBeans
03-15-2005, 06:05 PM
Half Life 2 Or SCCT or another game? Explain Why...

Desert Hawk
03-15-2005, 06:11 PM
My vote goes to CT. Just look (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v57/Desert_Hawk/img0004.jpg) at it...HL2 doesn't look so great when i look at screenshots, or see videos of it.

Desert Hawk
My vote goes to CT. Just look (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v57/Desert_Hawk/img0004.jpg) at it...HL2 doesn't look so great when i look at screenshots, or see videos of it.

HardToExist
...because this is a SCCT forum... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

HardToExist
...because this is a SCCT forum... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

poseyjmac
03-15-2005, 06:19 PM
not only will this poll be inaccurate because this is the scct forums, but the fact that many here are xbox only and halflife2 is a pc only game(for now)

that said, as a pc gamer, i find SCCT very visually pleasing in many parts. but there are many places in halflife2 that are just very well done artistically. can't really decide. they both have their own cool 'look'.

poseyjmac
03-15-2005, 06:19 PM
not only will this poll be inaccurate because this is the scct forums, but the fact that many here are xbox only and halflife2 is a pc only game(for now)

that said, as a pc gamer, i find SCCT very visually pleasing in many parts. but there are many places in halflife2 that are just very well done artistically. can't really decide. they both have their own cool 'look'.

JBeans
03-15-2005, 06:23 PM
i agree... Most of my friends are diehard Half-Life 2 fans, but when I invited 2 of them over, our conversation was like this:

Me: (Inverted Neck Grab)

Friend 1: Woah did you see that i cant believe that omg woah wow hes dead!

Friend 2(clearly interested) I don't care: HL2 is tons better

Later that demo....

Me: Knifing the guy at the bottom of the lighthouse

Friend 1: Woahhhhhh his hat fell off... look you threw him into the water...

Me: I know that: I'm the 1 who's playing.

Friend 2: Screw HL2: This is a lot better!

JBeans
03-15-2005, 06:23 PM
i agree... Most of my friends are diehard Half-Life 2 fans, but when I invited 2 of them over, our conversation was like this:

Later that demo....

Friend 2: Screw HL2: This is a lot better!

sanius
03-15-2005, 06:55 PM
I've beaten half-life 2, and I have to say, it does look great. but it's not as close as sc:ct is. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

sanius
03-15-2005, 06:55 PM
I've beaten half-life 2, and I have to say, it does look great. but it's not as close as sc:ct is. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Osman_H
03-15-2005, 06:59 PM
depends its kind of a like a doom3 vs HL2 thing, one does better than the other. HL2 is more outdoor life like look. Doom3 is a indoor metallic look. SCCT is a dark something dont know how to explain it.

Osman_H
03-15-2005, 06:59 PM
depends its kind of a like a doom3 vs HL2 thing, one does better than the other. HL2 is more outdoor life like look. Doom3 is a indoor metallic look. SCCT is a dark something dont know how to explain it.

BiG_FaT_SpErM
03-16-2005, 10:31 AM
SCCT is probably the best graphics you have evre seen on PC or Any Console ever so my vote is SCCT and lots of others are as well plus asking this is a SCCT is was quite obvious SCCT would get the vote

BiG_FaT_SpErM
03-16-2005, 10:31 AM
SCCT is probably the best graphics you have evre seen on PC or Any Console ever so my vote is SCCT and lots of others are as well plus asking this is a SCCT is was quite obvious SCCT would get the vote

scworld
03-16-2005, 11:07 AM
SC looks a bit too stylistic/plastic, BUT that's because the way the engine work and the models/textures were made.
I think I prefer SC, but HL2 is also good enough.

scworld
03-16-2005, 11:07 AM
SC looks a bit too stylistic/plastic, BUT that's because the way the engine work and the models/textures were made.
I think I prefer SC, but HL2 is also good enough.

Lord_Kruton
03-16-2005, 05:24 PM
I have played both for the PC (HL2 and the CT single player demo), and my vote goes to CT. When I saw Sam's face when he was interrogating a prisoner (or when I was interrogating a prisoner, however you want to view it), it just blew me away. Half Life 2 is a beautiful game, but CT blows it and everything else away.

Lord_Kruton
03-16-2005, 05:24 PM
I have played both for the PC (HL2 and the CT single player demo), and my vote goes to CT. When I saw Sam's face when he was interrogating a prisoner (or when I was interrogating a prisoner, however you want to view it), it just blew me away. Half Life 2 is a beautiful game, but CT blows it and everything else away.

Wu-Tang_Jihad
03-16-2005, 05:52 PM
Why do we need a poll when we already know. SCCT won 1st place graphics at E3, and Hl2 got 2nd place graphics.

Wu-Tang_Jihad
03-16-2005, 05:52 PM
Why do we need a poll when we already know. SCCT won 1st place graphics at E3, and Hl2 got 2nd place graphics.

cellfan88
03-16-2005, 07:37 PM
They both are awesome graphics... in my opinion SCCT is slightly better. Both are insane graphics though.

cellfan88
03-16-2005, 07:37 PM
They both are awesome graphics... in my opinion SCCT is slightly better. Both are insane graphics though.

fiddlefella
03-16-2005, 09:25 PM
Now, I absolutely LOVE the Splinter Cell series and the Half-Life series. In other words, I'm not biased towards or against either game.

I do notice that the graphics in SCCT and HL2 is like comparing apples to oranges a bit. HL2 has great emotion/expressions (they got a pyscologist to prove that they were correct) but the game goes for a kind of realistic cartoony look. Same for NOLF 2.

SCCT on the other hand goes for a much more realistic looking graphics where they made the objects/people look very real. Everything looked like the real world (to a point of course). HL2 on the other hand, while the phsyics and expressions were incredible, it wasn't as real in the sense that things got wet and such.

For me, the graphics are great in both games. But that's just me.

fiddlefella
03-16-2005, 09:25 PM
Now, I absolutely LOVE the Splinter Cell series and the Half-Life series. In other words, I'm not biased towards or against either game.

I do notice that the graphics in SCCT and HL2 is like comparing apples to oranges a bit. HL2 has great emotion/expressions (they got a pyscologist to prove that they were correct) but the game goes for a kind of realistic cartoony look. Same for NOLF 2.

SCCT on the other hand goes for a much more realistic looking graphics where they made the objects/people look very real. Everything looked like the real world (to a point of course). HL2 on the other hand, while the phsyics and expressions were incredible, it wasn't as real in the sense that things got wet and such.

For me, the graphics are great in both games. But that's just me.

Omega_224
03-16-2005, 09:33 PM
I've never played HL2.... then again I've never played SCCT, so... never mind.

I've seen screens and clips of both games. HL2 seems based more on the creatures/animals and people in the game. SCCT is based more on the environment, shadows, and objects more than the people (although even that looks pretty darn good). SCCT also has a "dark aura" about it. The game takes place mostly at night, so it's dark, while HL2 (as far as I know) has more daylight levels, giving it a brighter "aura". Which one looks better? SCCT deffinitely. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Omega_224
03-16-2005, 09:33 PM
I've never played HL2.... then again I've never played SCCT, so... never mind.

I've seen screens and clips of both games. HL2 seems based more on the creatures/animals and people in the game. SCCT is based more on the environment, shadows, and objects more than the people (although even that looks pretty darn good). SCCT also has a "dark aura" about it. The game takes place mostly at night, so it's dark, while HL2 (as far as I know) has more daylight levels, giving it a brighter "aura". Which one looks better? SCCT deffinitely. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

chaos_theory16
03-16-2005, 10:06 PM
Judging by what I've seen, SC:CT is better. Everything about it is so much better... the animations, graphics, gameplay, etc. But, they're both awesome games!

chaos_theory16
03-16-2005, 10:06 PM
Judging by what I've seen, SC:CT is better. Everything about it is so much better... the animations, graphics, gameplay, etc. But, they're both awesome games!

FN57
03-16-2005, 10:16 PM
i wouldnt know if Half life 2 has good graphics becuase i had to turn almost everything down to 'dumb' mode to even have the game run smooth.

On my computer, SCCT has better graphics and runs smoother then HL2.

FN57
03-16-2005, 10:16 PM
i wouldnt know if Half life 2 has good graphics becuase i had to turn almost everything down to 'dumb' mode to even have the game run smooth.

On my computer, SCCT has better graphics and runs smoother then HL2.

h47x
03-17-2005, 12:02 AM
I vote for, Chaos Theory having the better graphics.

h47x
03-17-2005, 12:02 AM
I vote for, Chaos Theory having the better graphics.

element54
03-17-2005, 12:27 AM
I bought HL2 the day after it came out. I have yet to finish the game. I have to admit that the graphics are as smooth as all heck but they just don't sit well with me. SC-CT all the way.

element54
03-17-2005, 12:27 AM
I bought HL2 the day after it came out. I have yet to finish the game. I have to admit that the graphics are as smooth as all heck but they just don't sit well with me. SC-CT all the way.

HorTyS
03-17-2005, 01:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JBeans:

Later that demo....

Friend 2: Screw HL2: This is a lot better! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

wow, none of that has ANYTHING to do with the graphics!!! that said, I don't think one is better than the other, they both have strengths and weaknesses. HL 2's character models, especially their faces (eyes!) look better, but SC:CT has great environments with lots of details and technical features like getting wet and stuff. HL 2 is an amazing game, both in graphics and gameplay, SC:CT is also amazing. I have never even played HL 2, i dont' own my own computer, my roommate played it and i watched, it is an incredible game. that said, i'm a HUGE SC:CT fan and am anticipating it very much. but i can't look at a game like HL 2 and say "chaos theory is better." that would just be denial. from a gameplay stand point, i know i'll like chaos theory more, i'm not really one for FPS, but i can't deny how insanly good HL 2 really is.

HorTyS
03-17-2005, 01:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JBeans:

Later that demo....

Friend 2: Screw HL2: This is a lot better! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

wow, none of that has ANYTHING to do with the graphics!!! that said, I don't think one is better than the other, they both have strengths and weaknesses. HL 2's character models, especially their faces (eyes!) look better, but SC:CT has great environments with lots of details and technical features like getting wet and stuff. HL 2 is an amazing game, both in graphics and gameplay, SC:CT is also amazing. I have never even played HL 2, i dont' own my own computer, my roommate played it and i watched, it is an incredible game. that said, i'm a HUGE SC:CT fan and am anticipating it very much. but i can't look at a game like HL 2 and say "chaos theory is better." that would just be denial. from a gameplay stand point, i know i'll like chaos theory more, i'm not really one for FPS, but i can't deny how insanly good HL 2 really is.

atarumoroboshi
03-17-2005, 01:14 AM
Wanna know something horrendous about HL2? You CAN NOT sell it anywhere once it has been opened, you are essentially stuck with the game permanently. With Splinter Cell, once you get it, you can resell it, which is a massive plus. Though I won't be selling it for a VERY LONG time, mind you.

HL2 has some seriously positive things as well as some seriously negative things about it. I for one, am a stealth freak, I enjoy every minute of it and added to the fact that you can now improvise operations in mid mission, it becomes even cooler! Sneak, kill, knockout, gas, knife, etc. I will absolutely love this game! Coop is chocolate whipped cream on the triple chocolate ice cream!

atarumoroboshi
03-17-2005, 01:14 AM
Wanna know something horrendous about HL2? You CAN NOT sell it anywhere once it has been opened, you are essentially stuck with the game permanently. With Splinter Cell, once you get it, you can resell it, which is a massive plus. Though I won't be selling it for a VERY LONG time, mind you.

HL2 has some seriously positive things as well as some seriously negative things about it. I for one, am a stealth freak, I enjoy every minute of it and added to the fact that you can now improvise operations in mid mission, it becomes even cooler! Sneak, kill, knockout, gas, knife, etc. I will absolutely love this game! Coop is chocolate whipped cream on the triple chocolate ice cream!

TacoLaMmY
03-17-2005, 01:51 AM
Comparing the graphics is like comparing apples to oranges, they're two completely different styles.

So I guess that leaves us with the storyline and the overall enjoyment.

Simply going with what half-life 2 provided us with vs. previous experience with the splinter cell series, HL2's writers win, hands down. Sorry fanboys.

"Time, Mr. Freeman?"

TacoLaMmY
03-17-2005, 01:51 AM
Comparing the graphics is like comparing apples to oranges, they're two completely different styles.

So I guess that leaves us with the storyline and the overall enjoyment.

Simply going with what half-life 2 provided us with vs. previous experience with the splinter cell series, HL2's writers win, hands down. Sorry fanboys.

"Time, Mr. Freeman?"

Knot3D
03-17-2005, 04:10 AM
The graphics differ in so many ways :

- technically
- artistically
- time line
- type of game

HL2 is technically very downscalable. Pretty CPU dependant becuz of the physics but it's playable with even a Geforce5700LE.
SCCT is technically split up in two. The sm1.1 path for consoles, Ati cards and old Nvidia's, high end sm3.0 HDR for current Nvidia cards and that even requires some good CPU muscle on top of it.

- artistically : HL2 is great. Nice workarounds with that prerendered radiosity.
SCCT does however do all that softshadowing in realtime. That's alot more taxing on GPU. We cannot make conclusions about SCCT's artdirection completely yet becuz we have only played the LightHouse level which is basically outdoors.

- timeline : HL2 has been in developed over many years which provided great opportunity for optimizing and tweaking for pc tech of today and yesteryear.
SCCT is a pc gaming making first steps into sm3.0 HDR tech. Lower specs really suffer unless they run sm1.1 and the PS2 and NGC versions just cannot compare.

- type of game : HL2 is an fps. Different gameplay, different level design which means different allocation of processor power. SCCT is a true third person stealth game with a heavy realtime lighting overhead. The full Sam Fisher model is always onscreen and there's always some lighting going on which makes SCCT GPU intensive by default.

Once we have played the full CT game we will be able to make a fair comparison in terms of graphics. Even then, it'll be a case of personal preference.

Knot3D
03-17-2005, 04:10 AM
The graphics differ in so many ways :

- technically
- artistically
- time line
- type of game

HL2 is technically very downscalable. Pretty CPU dependant becuz of the physics but it's playable with even a Geforce5700LE.
SCCT is technically split up in two. The sm1.1 path for consoles, Ati cards and old Nvidia's, high end sm3.0 HDR for current Nvidia cards and that even requires some good CPU muscle on top of it.

- artistically : HL2 is great. Nice workarounds with that prerendered radiosity.
SCCT does however do all that softshadowing in realtime. That's alot more taxing on GPU. We cannot make conclusions about SCCT's artdirection completely yet becuz we have only played the LightHouse level which is basically outdoors.

- timeline : HL2 has been in developed over many years which provided great opportunity for optimizing and tweaking for pc tech of today and yesteryear.
SCCT is a pc gaming making first steps into sm3.0 HDR tech. Lower specs really suffer unless they run sm1.1 and the PS2 and NGC versions just cannot compare.

- type of game : HL2 is an fps. Different gameplay, different level design which means different allocation of processor power. SCCT is a true third person stealth game with a heavy realtime lighting overhead. The full Sam Fisher model is always onscreen and there's always some lighting going on which makes SCCT GPU intensive by default.

Once we have played the full CT game we will be able to make a fair comparison in terms of graphics. Even then, it'll be a case of personal preference.

H_Bogard
03-18-2005, 06:12 PM
well first of all....splinter cell`s graphics arent what you are supposed to compare with half life 2...
half life 2 is more about shader effects (like refraction....water effects...shiny , reflective surfaces) whereas scct is about lighting and shadow.....and some occasional normal mapping but that isnt done nearly even half as good as it is in hl2 or the chronicles of rid****

if you want to compare scct with a pc game the do it with doom 3.........both engines are designed specifically for supreme lighting and shadow effects.....and from what i see .... doom 3 owns with all that real time lighting and uber high detail models

half life 2 employs the most amount of special effects used in a single game after far cry (no chaos theory doesnt count since it barely uses half the effects the latest versions of directX have to offer.....as a matter of fact it only uses 2 dx9c fx which are virtual displacement mapping and high dynamic range lighting)
plus......is it just me or does chaos theory only support soft shadows on nvidia cards? they say in the readme that ati cards dont suppord that.....if thats the case....then what the **** am i seeing in doom 3 or far cry? so this is where chaos theory gets the thumbs down....its nothing more than a mere shader model 1.4 game and it`ll be nothing more than that.....hdr and vdm are the only 2 effects that are used in the name of directX9 and they arent even running on most of the cards that even support them

voted half life 2 : more detailed objects on screen at a time than the sc3 engine can ever render (cramped hallways and caves anyone? the most outdoors it got was a lousy sea side lighthouse)

H_Bogard
03-18-2005, 06:12 PM
well first of all....splinter cell`s graphics arent what you are supposed to compare with half life 2...
half life 2 is more about shader effects (like refraction....water effects...shiny , reflective surfaces) whereas scct is about lighting and shadow.....and some occasional normal mapping but that isnt done nearly even half as good as it is in hl2 or the chronicles of rid****

if you want to compare scct with a pc game the do it with doom 3.........both engines are designed specifically for supreme lighting and shadow effects.....and from what i see .... doom 3 owns with all that real time lighting and uber high detail models

half life 2 employs the most amount of special effects used in a single game after far cry (no chaos theory doesnt count since it barely uses half the effects the latest versions of directX have to offer.....as a matter of fact it only uses 2 dx9c fx which are virtual displacement mapping and high dynamic range lighting)
plus......is it just me or does chaos theory only support soft shadows on nvidia cards? they say in the readme that ati cards dont suppord that.....if thats the case....then what the **** am i seeing in doom 3 or far cry? so this is where chaos theory gets the thumbs down....its nothing more than a mere shader model 1.4 game and it`ll be nothing more than that.....hdr and vdm are the only 2 effects that are used in the name of directX9 and they arent even running on most of the cards that even support them

voted half life 2 : more detailed objects on screen at a time than the sc3 engine can ever render (cramped hallways and caves anyone? the most outdoors it got was a lousy sea side lighthouse)

believeinchaos
03-18-2005, 06:27 PM
i have to say that comparing the two they're both really ground breaking graphically but you don't have to have a really killer pc to get the most out of scct

believeinchaos
03-18-2005, 06:27 PM
i have to say that comparing the two they're both really ground breaking graphically but you don't have to have a really killer pc to get the most out of scct

Unimatrix881
03-18-2005, 06:57 PM
You don't need a killer PC for Half Life 2 either. I have a Radeon 9200 w/ 64 megs and I can run hl2 at medium graphics with 1024x768 resolution while getting an average fps of 30. With Chaos Theory, I use 640x400 with medium graphics, and I get an fps from 10-20, unless I use thermal or emf vision where I get 30-50 (But come on, I'm not gonna play the game only to see the heat or electricity in things).

Unimatrix881
03-18-2005, 06:57 PM
You don't need a killer PC for Half Life 2 either. I have a Radeon 9200 w/ 64 megs and I can run hl2 at medium graphics with 1024x768 resolution while getting an average fps of 30. With Chaos Theory, I use 640x400 with medium graphics, and I get an fps from 10-20, unless I use thermal or emf vision where I get 30-50 (But come on, I'm not gonna play the game only to see the heat or electricity in things).

sb85
03-18-2005, 07:10 PM
wow...i dont know why people r writing soo much in this thread..
i mean..the answer is just obvious isnt it? chaos dominates hl2 graphics...i played both of them on PC..and god daiam ppl...hl2 looks real..chaos is real n fantabulous!!!

sb85
03-18-2005, 07:10 PM
i mean..the answer is just obvious isnt it? chaos dominates hl2 graphics...i played both of them on PC..and god daiam ppl...hl2 looks real..chaos is real n fantabulous!!!

H_Bogard
03-18-2005, 07:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sb85:
i mean..the answer is just obvious isnt it? chaos dominates hl2 graphics...i played both of them on PC..and god daiam ppl...hl2 looks real..chaos is real n fantabulous!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

got any reason to back that up? i said mine....and just to prove i got more...heres one more......hl2`s character models dont look like theyre made of PLASTIC!

H_Bogard
03-18-2005, 07:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sb85:
i mean..the answer is just obvious isnt it? chaos dominates hl2 graphics...i played both of them on PC..and god daiam ppl...hl2 looks real..chaos is real n fantabulous!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

got any reason to back that up? i said mine....and just to prove i got more...heres one more......hl2`s character models dont look like theyre made of PLASTIC!

thermalgoggles
03-18-2005, 08:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by H_Bogard:
got any reason to back that up? i said mine....and just to prove i got more...heres one more......hl2`s character models dont look like theyre made of PLASTIC! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
yeah, they look like drawings!! i own half life 2 and i have to say chaos theory has the better graphics! and who cares if chaos theory doesn't use all the special effects half life 2 does. chaos theory works with what its got, and it looks far better to me. ubi did a **** good job and they should be proud!! chaos theory has my vote!

thermalgoggles
03-18-2005, 08:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by H_Bogard:
got any reason to back that up? i said mine....and just to prove i got more...heres one more......hl2`s character models dont look like theyre made of PLASTIC! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
yeah, they look like drawings!! i own half life 2 and i have to say chaos theory has the better graphics! and who cares if chaos theory doesn't use all the special effects half life 2 does. chaos theory works with what its got, and it looks far better to me. ubi did a **** good job and they should be proud!! chaos theory has my vote!

sb85
03-18-2005, 08:34 PM
what he said...
u go thermalgoggleshttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

sb85
03-18-2005, 08:34 PM
what he said...
u go thermalgoggleshttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

sb85
03-18-2005, 08:37 PM
hmm bogard...wut is a hl2 fan doing snooping arnd scct forums anyways? theres definately sumthin that draws u to this game..

sb85
03-18-2005, 08:37 PM
hmm bogard...wut is a hl2 fan doing snooping arnd scct forums anyways? theres definately sumthin that draws u to this game..

l-Ghost-l
03-18-2005, 09:20 PM
Guess im one of the few people whos had first hand experience playing both games. I can safely say SCCT's graphics are better than half life 2's. Now, i was playing HL2 on a NVidia Geforce 6800 Ultra PCIe, which is top of the line next to dual graphics cards. So i think i was seeing a pretty nice HL2 picture =)

l-Ghost-l
03-18-2005, 09:20 PM
Guess im one of the few people whos had first hand experience playing both games. I can safely say SCCT's graphics are better than half life 2's. Now, i was playing HL2 on a NVidia Geforce 6800 Ultra PCIe, which is top of the line next to dual graphics cards. So i think i was seeing a pretty nice HL2 picture =)

casperrrr
03-18-2005, 10:04 PM
technnically of cource SCCT's better.
HL2 doesn't have shaders 3.0, dinamyc lighting and other new effects.

But visually... Visually SCCT sucks. Too much bumpmapping...
In hl2 there's the best water i've ever seen. It's only shaders 2.0, but really rules.
Water in CT is also beautiful, but not as in hl2

In hl2, the bumpmapping is used very smartly.
I hate CT's bummapping...

The characters in hl2 look MUCH better. I think you all agree with it=)

I voted for hl2. I don't see anything cool or beautiful (exept water, but even water could be much better) in SC: CT. Even graphics in SC1 was much more pleasing...

casperrrr
03-18-2005, 10:04 PM

In hl2 there's the best water i've ever seen. It's only shaders 2.0, but really rules.

I voted for hl2. I don't see anything cool or beautiful (exept water, but even water could be much better) in SC: CT. Even graphics in SC1 was much more pleasing...

l-Ghost-l
03-18-2005, 10:24 PM
actually according to this post, better looking characters in HL2 would be exactly what people DISAGREE with you about... in fact im disagreeing with you now. The monsters are well detailed. But the regular characters... id rather cut on my screen and look at Splinter Cell.

Oh and id like to add to my other post. Anyone else thing a new award should be created? call it the "Console Graphics > PC Graphics Award" for the console game that beats out one of the best PC games out in the graphics category :P

l-Ghost-l
03-18-2005, 10:24 PM
actually according to this post, better looking characters in HL2 would be exactly what people DISAGREE with you about... in fact im disagreeing with you now. The monsters are well detailed. But the regular characters... id rather cut on my screen and look at Splinter Cell.

Oh and id like to add to my other post. Anyone else thing a new award should be created? call it the "Console Graphics &gt; PC Graphics Award" for the console game that beats out one of the best PC games out in the graphics category :P

Knot3D
03-19-2005, 07:55 AM
About the b1tching about SC CT's npc character models ; Sam's onscreen model has to interact with them in a combat situation.

This means the IK rigs and the deform lattices of those models need to be accustomed to such actions. HL2 models, aside from the physics, do not require such actions.

The normal mapping is a matter of taste. The lighting is and HDR is heavy on the engine, yet it strikes a good balance between looks and performance. H Bogard : Doom3 isn't even capable of realtime softshadowing and the monsters' shadow won't shadow any nearby other monster.
Sorry, but Carmack got himself left behind on this one and HL2's lighting/shadowing is mostly prerendered, not realtime.

Knot3D
03-19-2005, 07:55 AM
About the b1tching about SC CT's npc character models ; Sam's onscreen model has to interact with them in a combat situation.

This means the IK rigs and the deform lattices of those models need to be accustomed to such actions. HL2 models, aside from the physics, do not require such actions.

The normal mapping is a matter of taste. The lighting is and HDR is heavy on the engine, yet it strikes a good balance between looks and performance. H Bogard : Doom3 isn't even capable of realtime softshadowing and the monsters' shadow won't shadow any nearby other monster.
Sorry, but Carmack got himself left behind on this one and HL2's lighting/shadowing is mostly prerendered, not realtime.

Lord_Kruton
03-19-2005, 11:03 AM
Like I said earlier, I've played the PC demo, and Sam's face looks more real even on 800x640 than HL2's characters do on the same resolution. The lighting effects are unbelievable, as all the SC games have been; they get better and better each time. PT didn't change the engine much from the original SC (although the cutscenes did look better in PT). CT is an entirely new engine built from scratch. The lighthouse level looks amazing, much more than anything I've seen in HL2. And that's saying a
lot, because HL2 is a beautiful game.

CT > HL2. Both are amazing, but CT is better.

Lord_Kruton
03-19-2005, 11:03 AM
Like I said earlier, I've played the PC demo, and Sam's face looks more real even on 800x640 than HL2's characters do on the same resolution. The lighting effects are unbelievable, as all the SC games have been; they get better and better each time. PT didn't change the engine much from the original SC (although the cutscenes did look better in PT). CT is an entirely new engine built from scratch. The lighthouse level looks amazing, much more than anything I've seen in HL2. And that's saying a
lot, because HL2 is a beautiful game.

CT &gt; HL2. Both are amazing, but CT is better.

sb85
03-19-2005, 12:22 PM
to all u hl2 lovers!!!
this is alll i gotta sayhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
http://www.samfisherblog.com/images/samvsgordon.jpg

sb85
03-19-2005, 12:22 PM
to all u hl2 lovers!!!
this is alll i gotta sayhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
http://www.samfisherblog.com/images/samvsgordon.jpg

Osman_H
03-19-2005, 01:36 PM
best graphics of yet are in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (http://media.pc.ign.com/media/702/702491/imgs_1.html)

Osman_H
03-19-2005, 01:36 PM
best graphics of yet are in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (http://media.pc.ign.com/media/702/702491/imgs_1.html)

Osman_H
03-19-2005, 01:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Knot3D:

Sorry, but Carmack got himself left behind on this one and HL2's lighting/shadowing is mostly prerendered, not realtime. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
ya but scct doesent have soft shadowing, the shadows are worse than doom 3 because they are all jaggy. plus people you have to give Hl2 credit for being a 7 year old engine and still being top notch

Osman_H
03-19-2005, 01:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Knot3D:

Sorry, but Carmack got himself left behind on this one and HL2's lighting/shadowing is mostly prerendered, not realtime. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
ya but scct doesent have soft shadowing, the shadows are worse than doom 3 because they are all jaggy. plus people you have to give Hl2 credit for being a 7 year old engine and still being top notch

I.S.F-Dixxhead
03-19-2005, 02:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The graphics differ in so many ways :

- technically
- artistically
- time line
- type of game

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh wait, before i start writing it myself all I say is: dito.

I.S.F-Dixxhead
03-19-2005, 02:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The graphics differ in so many ways :

- technically
- artistically
- time line
- type of game

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh wait, before i start writing it myself all I say is: dito.

I.S.F-Dixxhead
03-19-2005, 02:18 PM
srry doublepost http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif

I.S.F-Dixxhead
03-19-2005, 02:18 PM
srry doublepost http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif

GZA-LiquidSword
03-19-2005, 02:28 PM
SCCT DOES have Soft Shadowing. Just to clear that up.

In my opinion, the sheer size and overall atmosphere in HL2 completely overshadows anything I've seen in SCCT. With that said I believe SCCT technically surpasses HL2 with the lighting and other effects. However the realism and believability of the graphics in HL2 makes me PREFER them over SCCT considerably.

GZA-LiquidSword
03-19-2005, 02:28 PM
SCCT DOES have Soft Shadowing. Just to clear that up.

In my opinion, the sheer size and overall atmosphere in HL2 completely overshadows anything I've seen in SCCT. With that said I believe SCCT technically surpasses HL2 with the lighting and other effects. However the realism and believability of the graphics in HL2 makes me PREFER them over SCCT considerably.

Phraaspa
03-19-2005, 02:32 PM
In the facial animation HL2 wins hands down. But in graphical capabitlity, Chaos Theory beats it. Fantastic Lighting, Parallax Mapping (one of the best features i've seen ever), specular lighting etc, it clearly does look FAR better.

Phraaspa
03-19-2005, 02:32 PM
In the facial animation HL2 wins hands down. But in graphical capabitlity, Chaos Theory beats it. Fantastic Lighting, Parallax Mapping (one of the best features i've seen ever), specular lighting etc, it clearly does look FAR better.

andinsh
03-19-2005, 07:34 PM
well, I wouldn't say that the graphics in SCCT are better, in fact, they are uncompareable, becose they are SO different. SCCT is a wery dark (don't know a nother word for that in english) game, focused on lighting and shadows, dut HL2 is a (don't know any word for that in english), well the direct oposite-light, colourfull, with large open spaces, you know.
So, the point is that these two games are representig 2 different graphic styles or "genders" and they both are marvelous !

andinsh
03-19-2005, 07:34 PM
well, I wouldn't say that the graphics in SCCT are better, in fact, they are uncompareable, becose they are SO different. SCCT is a wery dark (don't know a nother word for that in english) game, focused on lighting and shadows, dut HL2 is a (don't know any word for that in english), well the direct oposite-light, colourfull, with large open spaces, you know.
So, the point is that these two games are representig 2 different graphic styles or "genders" and they both are marvelous !

H_Bogard
03-19-2005, 11:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>actually according to this post, better looking characters in HL2 would be exactly what people DISAGREE with you about... in fact im disagreeing with you now. The monsters are well detailed. But the regular characters... id rather cut on my screen and look at Splinter Cell.

Oh and id like to add to my other post. Anyone else thing a new award should be created? call it the "Console Graphics > PC Graphics Award" for the console game that beats out one of the best PC games out in the graphics category :P <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
i think it was only the pc version that was available at e3 that won the award......so dont get too excited...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>About the b1tching about SC CT's npc character models ; Sam's onscreen model has to interact with them in a combat situation.

This means the IK rigs and the deform lattices of those models need to be accustomed to such actions. HL2 models, aside from the physics, do not require such actions. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

splinter cell uses a higher poly count in its charactermodels than hl2 does....and they still look more realistic.....wanna know why? sheer artistery my friend ! and the facial expressions just own those that are found in scct

sb85`s pic : it looks like gordon is about to get jiggy with the crowbar there.....but i wouldnt know any better http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>SCCT DOES have Soft Shadowing. Just to clear that up.

In my opinion, the sheer size and overall atmosphere in HL2 completely overshadows anything I've seen in SCCT. With that said I believe SCCT technically surpasses HL2 with the lighting and other effects. However the realism and believability of the graphics in HL2 makes me PREFER them over SCCT considerably. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i sooo totally agree......but a problem with the sc engine is that soft shadowing is only supported on nvidia cards...

hmm bogard...wut is a hl2 fan doing snooping arnd scct forums anyways? theres definately sumthin that draws u to this game.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HOLY SH*T WE HAVE A GENIUS IN OUR MIDST!

i`m here because i`m an sc fan.......not an sc fanBOY!

ok so heres my wrapping statement ,i`m not gonna reply to this thread anymore since this particular discussion is being streched more than it needs to be

what i am trying to say is that half life 2 succeeds in creating a whole world around the player that looks EQUALLY as gorgeous in every variable envoirment......from the flooded areas of the waterhazard levels to the gorgeous coastsides of highway 17....from the dark, gritty themed nova prospekt to the ever so futuristic dark energy levels
i am in NO WAY saying that the visuals in chaos theory suck....as a matter of fact they COULD be better than half life 2......but you can bet your *** that you`d be bored of them because the envoirments arent just as good as they are in half life 2.....hell.....a few days ago some of my friends were arguing with me that TCoR for the xbox looked better than half life 2.....but seriously....did we ever get to see a beautiful seaside coast in that game? or for that matter any natural surrounding at all...
you see this is what valve had been doing for 6 years.....and that is that they were creating an engine that would deliver equally in all envoirments and aspects

sc3`s engine is excellent and the realtime shadowing is awesome....but ask yourself if it were to render ....say... a dense forest....or a waterfall area....you see the devs at ubisoft wrote the engine keeping in mind what they needed to make for the game only....half life 2 was made opensource.....you can modify anything and create anything......gah i`m getting tired of typing this has become a really long post -_-

H_Bogard
03-19-2005, 11:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>actually according to this post, better looking characters in HL2 would be exactly what people DISAGREE with you about... in fact im disagreeing with you now. The monsters are well detailed. But the regular characters... id rather cut on my screen and look at Splinter Cell.

Oh and id like to add to my other post. Anyone else thing a new award should be created? call it the "Console Graphics &gt; PC Graphics Award" for the console game that beats out one of the best PC games out in the graphics category :P <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
i think it was only the pc version that was available at e3 that won the award......so dont get too excited...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>About the b1tching about SC CT's npc character models ; Sam's onscreen model has to interact with them in a combat situation.

This means the IK rigs and the deform lattices of those models need to be accustomed to such actions. HL2 models, aside from the physics, do not require such actions. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

splinter cell uses a higher poly count in its charactermodels than hl2 does....and they still look more realistic.....wanna know why? sheer artistery my friend ! and the facial expressions just own those that are found in scct

sb85`s pic : it looks like gordon is about to get jiggy with the crowbar there.....but i wouldnt know any better http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>SCCT DOES have Soft Shadowing. Just to clear that up.

In my opinion, the sheer size and overall atmosphere in HL2 completely overshadows anything I've seen in SCCT. With that said I believe SCCT technically surpasses HL2 with the lighting and other effects. However the realism and believability of the graphics in HL2 makes me PREFER them over SCCT considerably. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i sooo totally agree......but a problem with the sc engine is that soft shadowing is only supported on nvidia cards...

hmm bogard...wut is a hl2 fan doing snooping arnd scct forums anyways? theres definately sumthin that draws u to this game.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HOLY SH*T WE HAVE A GENIUS IN OUR MIDST!

i`m here because i`m an sc fan.......not an sc fanBOY!

ok so heres my wrapping statement ,i`m not gonna reply to this thread anymore since this particular discussion is being streched more than it needs to be

what i am trying to say is that half life 2 succeeds in creating a whole world around the player that looks EQUALLY as gorgeous in every variable envoirment......from the flooded areas of the waterhazard levels to the gorgeous coastsides of highway 17....from the dark, gritty themed nova prospekt to the ever so futuristic dark energy levels
i am in NO WAY saying that the visuals in chaos theory suck....as a matter of fact they COULD be better than half life 2......but you can bet your *** that you`d be bored of them because the envoirments arent just as good as they are in half life 2.....hell.....a few days ago some of my friends were arguing with me that TCoR for the xbox looked better than half life 2.....but seriously....did we ever get to see a beautiful seaside coast in that game? or for that matter any natural surrounding at all...
you see this is what valve had been doing for 6 years.....and that is that they were creating an engine that would deliver equally in all envoirments and aspects

sc3`s engine is excellent and the realtime shadowing is awesome....but ask yourself if it were to render ....say... a dense forest....or a waterfall area....you see the devs at ubisoft wrote the engine keeping in mind what they needed to make for the game only....half life 2 was made opensource.....you can modify anything and create anything......gah i`m getting tired of typing this has become a really long post -_-

proam
03-20-2005, 07:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Osman_H:
ya but scct doesent have soft shadowing, the shadows are worse than doom 3 because they are all jaggy. plus people you have to give Hl2 credit for being a 7 year old engine and still being top notch <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
1) SC:CT DOES shoft shadowing, even on Xbox.
2) HL2 engine was rewritten as well, so it's not 7 years old.
Doom3 gfx just totally suck compared to SCCT.

proam
03-20-2005, 07:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Osman_H:
ya but scct doesent have soft shadowing, the shadows are worse than doom 3 because they are all jaggy. plus people you have to give Hl2 credit for being a 7 year old engine and still being top notch <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
1) SC:CT DOES shoft shadowing, even on Xbox.
2) HL2 engine was rewritten as well, so it's not 7 years old.
Doom3 gfx just totally suck compared to SCCT.

proam
03-20-2005, 07:55 AM
sc3`s engine is excellent and the realtime shadowing is awesome....but ask yourself if it were to render ....say... a dense forest....or a waterfall area....you see the devs at ubisoft wrote the engine keeping in mind what they needed to make for the game only....half life 2 was made opensource... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You should go back to HL2 and see how DENSE those environments in HL2 are again.

proam
03-20-2005, 07:55 AM
sc3`s engine is excellent and the realtime shadowing is awesome....but ask yourself if it were to render ....say... a dense forest....or a waterfall area....you see the devs at ubisoft wrote the engine keeping in mind what they needed to make for the game only....half life 2 was made opensource... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You should go back to HL2 and see how DENSE those environments in HL2 are again.

Knot3D
03-20-2005, 08:04 AM

but a problem with the sc engine is that soft shadowing is only supported on nvidia cards...

i am in NO WAY saying that the visuals in chaos theory suck....as a matter of fact they COULD be better than half life 2......but you can bet your *** that you`d be bored of them because the envoirments arent just as good as they are in half life 2

you can modify anything and create anything......gah i`m getting tired of typing this has become a really long post -_- <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, the SC CT PC version got the E3 best PC graphics award...and yes, this is thanx to sm3.0 HDR and sm3.0 softshadow implementation possible on Nvidia cards and Xbox. Only got Ati ? Well, sorry then...

On the character styling topic : again this is partially due the different nature of the games. HL2's a fps adventure. That first person view perspective indeed requires great facial animation and styling becuz you can get real up close to them face 2 face.
Sam's 3rd person perspective is not so much focused on faces but on kinetic full human size interaction.

About CT leveldesign and engine mod-ability : we still HAVEN'T played the FULL CT game ! There's no way to judge the full leveldesign capability of CT without playing the full game. The Lighthouse level needs to stretch processing power over a opendesign level (outside shore and rocks) with indoor rooms (fort and lighthouse itself) without loading ; pretty clear to me that other CT levels will boast more detail becuz other levels can be more 'compressed'.

The engine is basically a fully re-written Unreal Warfare code. That and the fact of the making of the CO Op levels shows this engine is highly versatile. I never got bored anyway with SC1 levels anyway. Dense forest environments ? Well, PT has shown us that SC gameplay isn't all that great in jungles/forests anyway. For forest stealth I play MGS3 ; now that game boasts some dense forestry ( on a PS2! ).

Big credits to Valve for efficient use of the yesteryear dx9 tech and the artistic workarounds but CT's just a step ahead technically only going by the demo already. Like I said : come full CT game, comes full judgement.

So, to ppl missing out on the CT sm3.0 HDR & softshadowing : I'm sorry !

Knot3D
03-20-2005, 08:04 AM

but a problem with the sc engine is that soft shadowing is only supported on nvidia cards...

i am in NO WAY saying that the visuals in chaos theory suck....as a matter of fact they COULD be better than half life 2......but you can bet your *** that you`d be bored of them because the envoirments arent just as good as they are in half life 2

you can modify anything and create anything......gah i`m getting tired of typing this has become a really long post -_- <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, the SC CT PC version got the E3 best PC graphics award...and yes, this is thanx to sm3.0 HDR and sm3.0 softshadow implementation possible on Nvidia cards and Xbox. Only got Ati ? Well, sorry then...

On the character styling topic : again this is partially due the different nature of the games. HL2's a fps adventure. That first person view perspective indeed requires great facial animation and styling becuz you can get real up close to them face 2 face.
Sam's 3rd person perspective is not so much focused on faces but on kinetic full human size interaction.

About CT leveldesign and engine mod-ability : we still HAVEN'T played the FULL CT game ! There's no way to judge the full leveldesign capability of CT without playing the full game. The Lighthouse level needs to stretch processing power over a opendesign level (outside shore and rocks) with indoor rooms (fort and lighthouse itself) without loading ; pretty clear to me that other CT levels will boast more detail becuz other levels can be more 'compressed'.

The engine is basically a fully re-written Unreal Warfare code. That and the fact of the making of the CO Op levels shows this engine is highly versatile. I never got bored anyway with SC1 levels anyway. Dense forest environments ? Well, PT has shown us that SC gameplay isn't all that great in jungles/forests anyway. For forest stealth I play MGS3 ; now that game boasts some dense forestry ( on a PS2! ).

Big credits to Valve for efficient use of the yesteryear dx9 tech and the artistic workarounds but CT's just a step ahead technically only going by the demo already. Like I said : come full CT game, comes full judgement.

So, to ppl missing out on the CT sm3.0 HDR & softshadowing : I'm sorry !

Ninj3r
03-20-2005, 08:35 AM
Don't worry, The game looks stunning on 1.1 as well http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I run Chaos Theory on a 9200 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif And it looks better than HL2 on full settings on my comp :/

But I don't know what HL2 looks like at full graphics http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ninj3r
03-20-2005, 08:35 AM
Don't worry, The game looks stunning on 1.1 as well http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I run Chaos Theory on a 9200 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif And it looks better than HL2 on full settings on my comp :/

But I don't know what HL2 looks like at full graphics http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Knot3D
03-20-2005, 08:48 AM
HL2 looks friggintastic, yes ; becuz of great artistic assets and smart use of prerendered radiosity.

Radiosity is used in Cgi renders for highly realistic lighting and shadowing. HL2 incorporates prerendered radiosity texturemaps by the bake-to-texture method. So, they kinda emulate the 'looks' of radiosity but it's of course static, not realtime. Hence, HL2's lighting is not heavy in terms of GPU processing.

In SplinterCell games, the lighting and shadowing NEEDS to be realtime interactive for the gameplay. So, prerendered radiosity is a no go. The softshadowing in CT is a major feat as it as already and it's pretty GPU intensive.

Real time radiosity is probably years off. The Unreal3 engine won't even boast it. The generation after the next gen GPU's might be able to pull it off...

Knot3D
03-20-2005, 08:48 AM
HL2 looks friggintastic, yes ; becuz of great artistic assets and smart use of prerendered radiosity.

Radiosity is used in Cgi renders for highly realistic lighting and shadowing. HL2 incorporates prerendered radiosity texturemaps by the bake-to-texture method. So, they kinda emulate the 'looks' of radiosity but it's of course static, not realtime. Hence, HL2's lighting is not heavy in terms of GPU processing.

In SplinterCell games, the lighting and shadowing NEEDS to be realtime interactive for the gameplay. So, prerendered radiosity is a no go. The softshadowing in CT is a major feat as it as already and it's pretty GPU intensive.

Real time radiosity is probably years off. The Unreal3 engine won't even boast it. The generation after the next gen GPU's might be able to pull it off...

nick8me
03-20-2005, 09:03 AM
I would have to say Half Life 2 because as good as SCCT looks, HL 2 is just incredible!

nick8me
03-20-2005, 09:03 AM
I would have to say Half Life 2 because as good as SCCT looks, HL 2 is just incredible!

S.a.S-Akbari
03-20-2005, 10:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nick8me:
I would have to say Half Life 2 because as good as SCCT looks, HL 2 is just incredible! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Leave the CT forums NOW! before they find u!

S.a.S-Akbari
03-20-2005, 10:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nick8me:
I would have to say Half Life 2 because as good as SCCT looks, HL 2 is just incredible! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Leave the CT forums NOW! before they find u!

TacoLaMmY
03-20-2005, 11:57 AM
If there was in fact one thing half-life 2 did, it was atmosphere. The places you visited captured much more of a feeling about them than 'terrorist camp' or 'long hallway' or 'winding path village'.
Even if you continue to argue the graphics despite some rather well informed peoples' statements, I would imagine the same old addage 'well graphics don't mean everything!' would apply, lord knows that's the most common xbox vs. pc defense http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

TacoLaMmY
03-20-2005, 11:57 AM
If there was in fact one thing half-life 2 did, it was atmosphere. The places you visited captured much more of a feeling about them than 'terrorist camp' or 'long hallway' or 'winding path village'.
Even if you continue to argue the graphics despite some rather well informed peoples' statements, I would imagine the same old addage 'well graphics don't mean everything!' would apply, lord knows that's the most common xbox vs. pc defense http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

GZA-LiquidSword
03-20-2005, 12:15 PM

Yeah, the SC CT PC version got the E3 best PC graphics award...and yes, this is thanx to sm3.0 HDR and sm3.0 softshadow implementation possible on Nvidia cards and Xbox. Only got Ati ? Well, sorry then... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're saying the 4 year old Xbox has HDR and SM3.0? That's amazing that they implemented that technology before it was created! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

GZA-LiquidSword
03-20-2005, 12:15 PM

Yeah, the SC CT PC version got the E3 best PC graphics award...and yes, this is thanx to sm3.0 HDR and sm3.0 softshadow implementation possible on Nvidia cards and Xbox. Only got Ati ? Well, sorry then... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're saying the 4 year old Xbox has HDR and SM3.0? That's amazing that they implemented that technology before it was created! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Knot3D
03-20-2005, 12:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GZA-LiquidSword:

You're saying the 4 year old Xbox has HDR and SM3.0? That's amazing that they implemented that technology before it was created! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ehm no,

- sm3.0 HDR + sm3.0 softshadows = Nvidia PC
- sm1.1 + shadow buffer shadows = Xbox

Xbox can do shadow buffer shadows which are then softened by 'blurring'. This is possible becuz Xbox has an Nvidia GPU. Any Ati gpu would have been limited to stencil shadows just like in SplinterCell 1 on PC.

Without taking sides ; I wouldn't be surprised if SC CT releases as a TWIMTBP game.

Knot3D
03-20-2005, 12:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GZA-LiquidSword:

You're saying the 4 year old Xbox has HDR and SM3.0? That's amazing that they implemented that technology before it was created! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ehm no,

Xbox can do shadow buffer shadows which are then softened by 'blurring'. This is possible becuz Xbox has an Nvidia GPU. Any Ati gpu would have been limited to stencil shadows just like in SplinterCell 1 on PC.

Without taking sides ; I wouldn't be surprised if SC CT releases as a TWIMTBP game.

randm_obsession
03-20-2005, 12:35 PM
if any here likes or **prefers**HL2 then go to the HL2 forums

randm_obsession
03-20-2005, 12:35 PM
if any here likes or **prefers**HL2 then go to the HL2 forums

Knot3D
03-20-2005, 12:40 PM
ow c'mon, ppl who like SC but prefer HL2 have just as much right to post on this forum as anyone else.

If someone's opinion is that 'HL2 graphics are better', then he's entitled to that opinion.

Opinions create discussions and that's what these forum threads are meant for.

Knot3D
03-20-2005, 12:40 PM
ow c'mon, ppl who like SC but prefer HL2 have just as much right to post on this forum as anyone else.

If someone's opinion is that 'HL2 graphics are better', then he's entitled to that opinion.

Opinions create discussions and that's what these forum threads are meant for.

Havoc0fisher
03-20-2005, 02:05 PM
I guess some of you people havn't tried
Half-Life2 with every video option on HIGH ^^...
Well In the Movies of HL2 its on medium or low
(the default settings)and belive me there is a difference.

I never tried SCCT demo with high..(it was on my old computer so i never had the chance.)
I Hope the final SCCT version got better graphics than HL2,I mean nobody wants a game to have badder graphics than the other.I don't see why it shouldn't have better graphics ^^ I will play them both ,but 99% scct!...nah make it 100 =D.

Havoc0fisher
03-20-2005, 02:05 PM
I guess some of you people havn't tried
Half-Life2 with every video option on HIGH ^^...
Well In the Movies of HL2 its on medium or low
(the default settings)and belive me there is a difference.

I never tried SCCT demo with high..(it was on my old computer so i never had the chance.)
I Hope the final SCCT version got better graphics than HL2,I mean nobody wants a game to have badder graphics than the other.I don't see why it shouldn't have better graphics ^^ I will play them both ,but 99% scct!...nah make it 100 =D.

H_Bogard
03-20-2005, 10:51 PM

Yeah, the SC CT PC version got the E3 best PC graphics award...and yes, this is thanx to sm3.0 HDR and sm3.0 softshadow implementation possible on Nvidia cards and Xbox. Only got Ati ? Well, sorry then...! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i couldnt get myself to read your reply any farther than is....as what you have just said clearly indicates how much you know about graphics.
The xbox does not support hdr....light bloom is as far as it can go
and it does not support soft shadows either...thats a direct x 9 feature buddy.

i said it before and i`ll say it again ...half life 2 looks equally as good no matter what the envoirment is....scct....as mention by the fellow above...doesnt do much for envoirments....like a terrorist camp near a lighthouse (the sea looks ****...far cry`s sea is better) plus the game renders smaller envoirments ...like cramped hallways (that benefit facilitation of split jumps http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif) and caves etc...
half life 2 is one of the few games that have suceeded in creating a living breathing world around the player that features excellent envoirments....and dont get me wrong.....envoirments fall into the category of visual fidelity...plus theres a patch coming soon that`ll support hdr lighting.
( OffTopic: i just found out F.E.A.R. is an ati gitg title....hahaha in your face nvidia losers!)

H_Bogard
03-20-2005, 10:51 PM

Yeah, the SC CT PC version got the E3 best PC graphics award...and yes, this is thanx to sm3.0 HDR and sm3.0 softshadow implementation possible on Nvidia cards and Xbox. Only got Ati ? Well, sorry then...! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i couldnt get myself to read your reply any farther than is....as what you have just said clearly indicates how much you know about graphics.
The xbox does not support hdr....light bloom is as far as it can go
and it does not support soft shadows either...thats a direct x 9 feature buddy.

i said it before and i`ll say it again ...half life 2 looks equally as good no matter what the envoirment is....scct....as mention by the fellow above...doesnt do much for envoirments....like a terrorist camp near a lighthouse (the sea looks ****...far cry`s sea is better) plus the game renders smaller envoirments ...like cramped hallways (that benefit facilitation of split jumps http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif) and caves etc...
half life 2 is one of the few games that have suceeded in creating a living breathing world around the player that features excellent envoirments....and dont get me wrong.....envoirments fall into the category of visual fidelity...plus theres a patch coming soon that`ll support hdr lighting.
( OffTopic: i just found out F.E.A.R. is an ati gitg title....hahaha in your face nvidia losers!)

Chaos4Sure
03-21-2005, 01:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by casperrrr:

I voted for hl2. I don't see anything cool or beautiful (exept water, but even water could be much better) in SC: CT. Even graphics in SC1 was much more pleasing... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to say, this is just dumb. How in ** can you say CT garohics suck. Its not logical. HL2 never struck me as a good looking game in the first place. i had to be convinced its good looking for meto think the same. The character models and faces in HL2 are much better thanh chaos theory's. Im guessing that because they had 6 years to make them that good. CT's environments are much better and much prettier. They are eye candy. Overall, CT takes the cake for graphics. HL2 graphics are not stunning, just good graphics. CT's graphics look like xbox2 or ps3 graphics.

And guys please stop getting all technical about it. Your acting like geeks in here. Its a simple question that deserves a simple answer. Just look at the two games and say whci is better. (chaos theory). its your opinion. its your choice(chaos theory).

Chaos4Sure
03-21-2005, 01:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by casperrrr:

I voted for hl2. I don't see anything cool or beautiful (exept water, but even water could be much better) in SC: CT. Even graphics in SC1 was much more pleasing... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to say, this is just dumb. How in ** can you say CT garohics suck. Its not logical. HL2 never struck me as a good looking game in the first place. i had to be convinced its good looking for meto think the same. The character models and faces in HL2 are much better thanh chaos theory's. Im guessing that because they had 6 years to make them that good. CT's environments are much better and much prettier. They are eye candy. Overall, CT takes the cake for graphics. HL2 graphics are not stunning, just good graphics. CT's graphics look like xbox2 or ps3 graphics.

And guys please stop getting all technical about it. Your acting like geeks in here. Its a simple question that deserves a simple answer. Just look at the two games and say whci is better. (chaos theory). its your opinion. its your choice(chaos theory).

Chaos4Sure
03-21-2005, 01:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by andinsh:
So, the point is that these two games are representig 2 different graphic styles or "genders" and they both are marvelous ! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have seen some coop vids that are day time footages, and CT is still better looking than HL2.

Chaos4Sure
03-21-2005, 01:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by andinsh:
So, the point is that these two games are representig 2 different graphic styles or "genders" and they both are marvelous ! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have seen some coop vids that are day time footages, and CT is still better looking than HL2.

Knot3D
03-21-2005, 01:55 AM

( OffTopic: i just found out F.E.A.R. is an ati gitg title....hahaha in your face nvidia losers!) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, now you're playing it personal. Wtf was that needed for ?

Anyway, I knew I should have specified what I said better in the first place becuz the GZA dude misunderstood my post as well. Also, the fact that you didn't bother to read the rest of my posts and the ones later on doesn't strengthen your arguments at all. Ok here i go quoting my d@mn self from the other reply :

"Ehm no,

Xbox can do shadow buffer shadows which are then softened by 'blurring'. This is possible becuz Xbox has an Nvidia GPU. Any Ati gpu would have been limited to stencil shadows just like in SplinterCell 1 on PC."

Hey, I never claimed i'm a know-it-all when it comes to graphics, but I do know my Maya and Cinema4D graphics. With game graphics getting closer to CGi i know of some features which both share and which not.

Calling Nvidia card owners "losers" is also a personal attack. Why ?
Nobody in this thread, not even me, insulted Ati card owners. Maybe you got ticked off becuz i said "Sorry then" after stating the fact that Ati card owners miss out on sm3.0 HDR in CT ; That's in NO way a personal attack nor insult to Ati owners.
Hence, your reaction was very childish. Like I said in the other reply ; threads like these are here for healthy debate. Differing opinions are not bad. That you claimed I know nothing about graphics and Nvidia card owners are loser, is however, bad. Doing personal attacks won't help you in the end i can assure you that.

If you think HL2's environments are more 'living' than CT levels which nobody has even fully played in ( BECUZ THE GAME IS NOT OUT YET !!!! ) ; well, then... enjoy roaming some more in those HL2 environments http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ( Heck, some ppl will go even as far that GTA worlds are more 'living & breathing' than in any other game )

Also, I wasn't looking forward to FEAR very much anyway. I'd rather play Age of Empires 3 and You Are Empty which are due in 05.

Knot3D
03-21-2005, 01:55 AM

( OffTopic: i just found out F.E.A.R. is an ati gitg title....hahaha in your face nvidia losers!) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, now you're playing it personal. Wtf was that needed for ?

Anyway, I knew I should have specified what I said better in the first place becuz the GZA dude misunderstood my post as well. Also, the fact that you didn't bother to read the rest of my posts and the ones later on doesn't strengthen your arguments at all. Ok here i go quoting my d@mn self from the other reply :

"Ehm no,

Xbox can do shadow buffer shadows which are then softened by 'blurring'. This is possible becuz Xbox has an Nvidia GPU. Any Ati gpu would have been limited to stencil shadows just like in SplinterCell 1 on PC."

Hey, I never claimed i'm a know-it-all when it comes to graphics, but I do know my Maya and Cinema4D graphics. With game graphics getting closer to CGi i know of some features which both share and which not.

Nobody in this thread, not even me, insulted Ati card owners. Maybe you got ticked off becuz i said "Sorry then" after stating the fact that Ati card owners miss out on sm3.0 HDR in CT ; That's in NO way a personal attack nor insult to Ati owners.
Hence, your reaction was very childish. Like I said in the other reply ; threads like these are here for healthy debate. Differing opinions are not bad. That you claimed I know nothing about graphics and Nvidia card owners are loser, is however, bad. Doing personal attacks won't help you in the end i can assure you that.

If you think HL2's environments are more 'living' than CT levels which nobody has even fully played in ( BECUZ THE GAME IS NOT OUT YET !!!! ) ; well, then... enjoy roaming some more in those HL2 environments http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ( Heck, some ppl will go even as far that GTA worlds are more 'living & breathing' than in any other game )

Also, I wasn't looking forward to FEAR very much anyway. I'd rather play Age of Empires 3 and You Are Empty which are due in 05.

H_Bogard
03-21-2005, 09:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chaos4Sure:

I have seen some coop vids that are day time footages, and CT is still better looking than HL2. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

fanboy alert!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

sigh*
i didnt mean to be offensive when i called nvidia owners "losers" i used to own an nvidia card myself....and i said my statment jokingly so. On another point excuse my bad english as i may sound offensive sometimes but i dont really mean to...its just the way i type it off that it sounds bad http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

anyway...i`m calling half life 2`s envoirments more "Beautiful" than those in ct....living breathing whatever doesnt mean ****...i mean you could hang those as portraits for crying out loud!....but i guess i can go nowhere in a discussion here because, after all, it is an sc fan community (one which i am proud to be part of....despite being deprived of hdr only because i bought an ati card)
btw soft shadows and hdr light IS supported on sm2.0 video cards....and it is but the biggest flaw of the scct graphics engine that it doesnt support sm2.0 or 2.0b ... this was the series that set the benchmark for pc graphics (sc1 = dx8) and now it has fallen a victim to commercialism....nvidia gets scct and stalker....ati gets hl2 and fear....this is ******ed!

H_Bogard
03-21-2005, 09:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chaos4Sure:

I have seen some coop vids that are day time footages, and CT is still better looking than HL2. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

fanboy alert!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

sigh*
i didnt mean to be offensive when i called nvidia owners "losers" i used to own an nvidia card myself....and i said my statment jokingly so. On another point excuse my bad english as i may sound offensive sometimes but i dont really mean to...its just the way i type it off that it sounds bad http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

anyway...i`m calling half life 2`s envoirments more "Beautiful" than those in ct....living breathing whatever doesnt mean ****...i mean you could hang those as portraits for crying out loud!....but i guess i can go nowhere in a discussion here because, after all, it is an sc fan community (one which i am proud to be part of....despite being deprived of hdr only because i bought an ati card)
btw soft shadows and hdr light IS supported on sm2.0 video cards....and it is but the biggest flaw of the scct graphics engine that it doesnt support sm2.0 or 2.0b ... this was the series that set the benchmark for pc graphics (sc1 = dx8) and now it has fallen a victim to commercialism....nvidia gets scct and stalker....ati gets hl2 and fear....this is ******ed!

epikur_2000
03-21-2005, 10:02 AM
Knot3D is right, there´s no need for trading insults and personal attacks...
However, from a technical point of view CT makes a big step ahead I guess, although enabling shader 3 and all of its options unfortunately kills the framerate, but personally I think the new engine could have led to better results concerning some certain textures.
Don´t get me wrong, I love the visuals of CT, which I consider to be the best ever seen at a game, all the more as the lighthouse level is NOT the most impressive looking part of this game.
But still, some arguments of H_Bogard are true too, for instance the textures of the sea, is that really supposed to be a DirectX 9.0c-effect, I doubt so..
It depends on the angle of view though, but look at the sea from the top of the lighthouse, it looks like some cheap moving plastic-soup...just remember the water effects of PT, especially the ones at the basement of the tv-station in Jacarta, they seemed to be almost photo-realistic, even the sea at the oil refinery-level of SC1 looked better imo, so has anybody an explanation for that?

I can not really compare HL2 and CT, since I never played HL2, but from what I´ve seen from screens and trailers both games look equally awesome, it´s just that I personally don´t like fps-games, although i enjoyed playing FarCry and The Chronicles Of Rid****, but that was just an exception, I guess...and without any doubt the sea of FarCry looked a lot of better than in CT...but well, that´s really the only thing i have to find fault with concerning CT´s visuals, the rest is absolutely awesome...

http://www.hp-quarter.de/sig3.jpg

epikur_2000
03-21-2005, 10:02 AM
Knot3D is right, there´s no need for trading insults and personal attacks...
However, from a technical point of view CT makes a big step ahead I guess, although enabling shader 3 and all of its options unfortunately kills the framerate, but personally I think the new engine could have led to better results concerning some certain textures.
Don´t get me wrong, I love the visuals of CT, which I consider to be the best ever seen at a game, all the more as the lighthouse level is NOT the most impressive looking part of this game.
But still, some arguments of H_Bogard are true too, for instance the textures of the sea, is that really supposed to be a DirectX 9.0c-effect, I doubt so..
It depends on the angle of view though, but look at the sea from the top of the lighthouse, it looks like some cheap moving plastic-soup...just remember the water effects of PT, especially the ones at the basement of the tv-station in Jacarta, they seemed to be almost photo-realistic, even the sea at the oil refinery-level of SC1 looked better imo, so has anybody an explanation for that?

I can not really compare HL2 and CT, since I never played HL2, but from what I´ve seen from screens and trailers both games look equally awesome, it´s just that I personally don´t like fps-games, although i enjoyed playing FarCry and The Chronicles Of Rid****, but that was just an exception, I guess...and without any doubt the sea of FarCry looked a lot of better than in CT...but well, that´s really the only thing i have to find fault with concerning CT´s visuals, the rest is absolutely awesome...

http://www.hp-quarter.de/sig3.jpg

Knot3D
03-21-2005, 12:37 PM
H Bogard,

Your apology is accepted http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Heavy discussions and personal opinions are valid indeed. Of course, you understand I draw a line when personal attacks are involved. Since we can't 'read' the way a person expresses something from forum text, i read it like that.

Ontopic :

Yes, I know HDR lighting and softshadowing are both not exclusive to sm3.0 I'm not a graphics coder, so please bear with me ; the explanation Ubi gave is a reason we should imho respect :

HDR on sm2.0 would require detour coding. Nvidia cards do support fp16 blending. They said it would require that much more instructions for Ati's to get the same effect running in sm2.0b, at both an efficiency and performance loss. Hence they did everything they could to make sm1.1 on Ati cards look as good as if sm2.0 would have been used.

Remember, the sm3.0 implementation in CT is also pre-work for their next gen games. This is pure solid economics ; the sm3.0 coding expierence from the CT sm3.0 engine will be ready for use for next Ubi games. That's a very good long term business model imo, whereas going sm2.0 would have cost Ubi more time and money. Then they would have to do sm3.0 research when they begin on next gen games ; that would be inefficient.

Ensemble Studios is doing a similair thing with their Age of Empires 3 ; this game also supports sm3.0 HDR fx from code scratch.

Ati's next GPU's will support sm3.0, certainly in Xbox2. Ubi also stated they were aware of this and hence that justifies doing the sm3.0 way some more.

The reason why the sea in the Lighthouse level looks not as great as in other games' seas ;

I'm not exactly sure. It's just that it's a level with both outdoor open parts and indoor sections seamlessly. This means no laoding times when going in or out. ( with the open windows and door openings the engine has to draw the outsides at the same time without LOD clipping. I assume that is quite a load ) I guess this comes at some sort of processing price and evidently the sea was not at the top of Ubi's priority list.

Again I say ; this demo level is big. We have not seen the full CT game so it's very hard to judge it. The E3 PC footage showing the Japanese house with Sam reloading at the cooking pot and the green house to some extent looked ultra real imho. That's why I will resevere my full judgement or full comparison until i have played all of CT's levels.

Knot3D
03-21-2005, 12:37 PM
H Bogard,

Your apology is accepted http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Heavy discussions and personal opinions are valid indeed. Of course, you understand I draw a line when personal attacks are involved. Since we can't 'read' the way a person expresses something from forum text, i read it like that.

Ontopic :

Yes, I know HDR lighting and softshadowing are both not exclusive to sm3.0 I'm not a graphics coder, so please bear with me ; the explanation Ubi gave is a reason we should imho respect :

HDR on sm2.0 would require detour coding. Nvidia cards do support fp16 blending. They said it would require that much more instructions for Ati's to get the same effect running in sm2.0b, at both an efficiency and performance loss. Hence they did everything they could to make sm1.1 on Ati cards look as good as if sm2.0 would have been used.

Remember, the sm3.0 implementation in CT is also pre-work for their next gen games. This is pure solid economics ; the sm3.0 coding expierence from the CT sm3.0 engine will be ready for use for next Ubi games. That's a very good long term business model imo, whereas going sm2.0 would have cost Ubi more time and money. Then they would have to do sm3.0 research when they begin on next gen games ; that would be inefficient.

Ensemble Studios is doing a similair thing with their Age of Empires 3 ; this game also supports sm3.0 HDR fx from code scratch.

Ati's next GPU's will support sm3.0, certainly in Xbox2. Ubi also stated they were aware of this and hence that justifies doing the sm3.0 way some more.

The reason why the sea in the Lighthouse level looks not as great as in other games' seas ;

I'm not exactly sure. It's just that it's a level with both outdoor open parts and indoor sections seamlessly. This means no laoding times when going in or out. ( with the open windows and door openings the engine has to draw the outsides at the same time without LOD clipping. I assume that is quite a load ) I guess this comes at some sort of processing price and evidently the sea was not at the top of Ubi's priority list.

Again I say ; this demo level is big. We have not seen the full CT game so it's very hard to judge it. The E3 PC footage showing the Japanese house with Sam reloading at the cooking pot and the green house to some extent looked ultra real imho. That's why I will resevere my full judgement or full comparison until i have played all of CT's levels.

silentassasin05
03-21-2005, 01:16 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Woah, so much technical stuff http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

silentassasin05
03-21-2005, 01:16 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Woah, so much technical stuff http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Dangerous_388
03-21-2005, 01:32 PM
Splinter cell chaos theory on xbox got better graphics than pc halflife 2 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Dangerous_388
03-21-2005, 01:32 PM
Splinter cell chaos theory on xbox got better graphics than pc halflife 2 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

H_Bogard
03-21-2005, 06:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dangerous_388:
Splinter cell chaos theory on xbox got better graphics than pc halflife 2 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

here we go again....

H_Bogard
03-21-2005, 06:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dangerous_388:
Splinter cell chaos theory on xbox got better graphics than pc halflife 2 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

here we go again....

darko000
03-22-2005, 01:30 AM
Comparing HL2 and SC.. hmm I can't see that. First off all, this forum is biased towards SC. Even tho I am a huge fan of SC since the first one, (sold my ps2, said goodbye to dying METAL GEAR franchie, and bought Xbox only to play SC) I still find HL2 on a completly different level than any other game I have played to date. Don't get me wrong, i am dying to play SC:CT and I am a HUGEEEE fan of the series, and no doubt this will be best one, but again still can't compare to HL2. HL2 is beyond a video game for me. Its a hallmark.

darko000
03-22-2005, 01:30 AM
Comparing HL2 and SC.. hmm I can't see that. First off all, this forum is biased towards SC. Even tho I am a huge fan of SC since the first one, (sold my ps2, said goodbye to dying METAL GEAR franchie, and bought Xbox only to play SC) I still find HL2 on a completly different level than any other game I have played to date. Don't get me wrong, i am dying to play SC:CT and I am a HUGEEEE fan of the series, and no doubt this will be best one, but again still can't compare to HL2. HL2 is beyond a video game for me. Its a hallmark.

Chaos4Sure
03-22-2005, 03:08 AM
Actually, according to the posts, its not biased at all. Well,as i said before sc:ct overall looks better, but there are some places where half life 2 shines. The ocean in chaos theory xbox demo doesnt look good at all. the pc looks more realistic. Then, there character models and facial animations. HL2 facial animations look amazing. On the other hand chaos theory's environments are eye candy. I could just stare at them for hours. They are just that good. And, the water in the levels is very realistic(not the ocean). There are alot of detailes in the environments like bats, and dripping water that make it even better looking. And let me say sam is the best character model ive seen in any game. HL2 environments are very detailed, but they arent eye candy. Nothing really amazes me. They actually(i know this will shock some people) think it looks like GR2.

Chaos4Sure
03-22-2005, 03:08 AM
Actually, according to the posts, its not biased at all. Well,as i said before sc:ct overall looks better, but there are some places where half life 2 shines. The ocean in chaos theory xbox demo doesnt look good at all. the pc looks more realistic. Then, there character models and facial animations. HL2 facial animations look amazing. On the other hand chaos theory's environments are eye candy. I could just stare at them for hours. They are just that good. And, the water in the levels is very realistic(not the ocean). There are alot of detailes in the environments like bats, and dripping water that make it even better looking. And let me say sam is the best character model ive seen in any game. HL2 environments are very detailed, but they arent eye candy. Nothing really amazes me. They actually(i know this will shock some people) think it looks like GR2.

MrJetpack
03-22-2005, 05:00 AM
Half-Life 2 has a more original, artistic style. The textures are better, and it's more realistic. Chaos theory looks VERY good. But it doesn't quite stand up against HL2 running on High.

Good Lord...

MrJetpack
03-22-2005, 05:00 AM
Half-Life 2 has a more original, artistic style. The textures are better, and it's more realistic. Chaos theory looks VERY good. But it doesn't quite stand up against HL2 running on High.

Good Lord...

deepthroat77
03-22-2005, 10:06 AM
the reason the sea doesnt look good is because this is a demo!!have any of you seen the new footages

deepthroat77
03-22-2005, 10:06 AM
the reason the sea doesnt look good is because this is a demo!!have any of you seen the new footages

SpiderFreak
03-22-2005, 11:52 AM
I just know I'm going to be flamed, but I said "Other." I said "Other" because of... Halo 2. I used to agree that CT and HL2 have better graphics, but then I played H2 again... Much better. Then again, this is just my personal opinion. I know a lot of people think HL2 has batter graphics, and a lot of people think CT does. Halo 2 is just better IMHO.

SF

SpiderFreak
03-22-2005, 11:52 AM
I just know I'm going to be flamed, but I said "Other." I said "Other" because of... Halo 2. I used to agree that CT and HL2 have better graphics, but then I played H2 again... Much better. Then again, this is just my personal opinion. I know a lot of people think HL2 has batter graphics, and a lot of people think CT does. Halo 2 is just better IMHO.

SF

Chaos4Sure
03-22-2005, 12:41 PM
I think your the only one in the world.^Halo 2 does have good graphics, but even OXM(halo freaks) say that chaos theory blows away rid**** and halo2 by a mile.

Chaos4Sure
03-22-2005, 12:41 PM
I think your the only one in the world.^Halo 2 does have good graphics, but even OXM(halo freaks) say that chaos theory blows away rid**** and halo2 by a mile.

mrhahn98
03-22-2005, 01:07 PM
Sorry for this question but like Knot3d said:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Yes, I know HDR lighting and softshadowing are both not exclusive to sm3.0 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
i've a FX5700 ,so it must run at SM1.1 in SCCT ,but why in the splintercell3.ini ,all the stuff like ParallaxMapping, HQSoftShadows, HDR are on ?
"ParallaxMapping=1
HQSoftShadows=1
HDR=1
HiResTextures=1
ToneMapping=1"
i mean does the 5700 REALLY have HDR,soft shadows and prallax mapping ? even when it's running at SM1.1 ?

mrhahn98
03-22-2005, 01:07 PM
Sorry for this question but like Knot3d said:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Yes, I know HDR lighting and softshadowing are both not exclusive to sm3.0 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
i've a FX5700 ,so it must run at SM1.1 in SCCT ,but why in the splintercell3.ini ,all the stuff like ParallaxMapping, HQSoftShadows, HDR are on ?
"ParallaxMapping=1
HQSoftShadows=1
HDR=1
HiResTextures=1
ToneMapping=1"
i mean does the 5700 REALLY have HDR,soft shadows and prallax mapping ? even when it's running at SM1.1 ?

thermalgoggles
03-22-2005, 03:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SpiderFreak:
SF <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
no offense or anything, but are you crazy?! halo 2 is not even close to chaos theory graphics wise. don't get me wrong, i own halo 2 and i love it, butyou just can't say halo 2 has better graphics. i think the graphics are more blah then anything. they are pretty good but they are definately missing details. rid**** had extremely good graphics though. OXM says chaos theory beats rid**** and halo 2 by miles! that is a huge accomplishment!

thermalgoggles
03-22-2005, 03:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SpiderFreak:
SF <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
no offense or anything, but are you crazy?! halo 2 is not even close to chaos theory graphics wise. don't get me wrong, i own halo 2 and i love it, butyou just can't say halo 2 has better graphics. i think the graphics are more blah then anything. they are pretty good but they are definately missing details. rid**** had extremely good graphics though. OXM says chaos theory beats rid**** and halo 2 by miles! that is a huge accomplishment!

I.S.F-Dixxhead
03-22-2005, 03:18 PM
"almost Off-Topic"I just played BiA on my Ati, and as most of you know, there is HDR lightning, man i must say I really would like not to miss that out :S Its just incredible how great it makes the quite "standard" graphics look! Well maybe a future patch will bring in fp24 for the Ati cards (along with SM 2.0); we'll see (btw. Im running on a 9800xt and I must say HDR pulls the fps down like no feature i've seen before http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif)

I.S.F-Dixxhead
03-22-2005, 03:18 PM
"almost Off-Topic"I just played BiA on my Ati, and as most of you know, there is HDR lightning, man i must say I really would like not to miss that out :S Its just incredible how great it makes the quite "standard" graphics look! Well maybe a future patch will bring in fp24 for the Ati cards (along with SM 2.0); we'll see (btw. Im running on a 9800xt and I must say HDR pulls the fps down like no feature i've seen before http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif)

JBeans
03-22-2005, 03:43 PM
I'm amazed... this started out as a simple poll, but it ended up as an all-out war. I thought we all liked scct the best lol I think we can all learn something from this... any suggestions? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

JBeans
03-22-2005, 03:43 PM
I'm amazed... this started out as a simple poll, but it ended up as an all-out war. I thought we all liked scct the best lol I think we can all learn something from this... any suggestions? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Osman_H
03-22-2005, 04:31 PM

And guys please stop getting all technical about it. Your acting like geeks in here. Its a simple question that deserves a simple answer. Just look at the two games and say whci is better. (chaos theory). its your opinion. its your choice(chaos theory). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
no way does SCCT's graphic come close to xbox 2 or ps3 capabilitys(spelling) i mean just look at it (http://media.xbox.ign.com/media/702/702493/imgs_1.html)

Osman_H
03-22-2005, 04:31 PM

And guys please stop getting all technical about it. Your acting like geeks in here. Its a simple question that deserves a simple answer. Just look at the two games and say whci is better. (chaos theory). its your opinion. its your choice(chaos theory). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
no way does SCCT's graphic come close to xbox 2 or ps3 capabilitys(spelling) i mean just look at it (http://media.xbox.ign.com/media/702/702493/imgs_1.html)

proam
03-22-2005, 05:36 PM
If that's all Xbox2/PS3 can do (The Elders Scrolls IV shots), I'll be pretty disapointed to next-gen consoles. I think SCCT looks better than those screenshots too.

proam
03-22-2005, 05:36 PM
If that's all Xbox2/PS3 can do (The Elders Scrolls IV shots), I'll be pretty disapointed to next-gen consoles. I think SCCT looks better than those screenshots too.

Osman_H
03-22-2005, 05:39 PM
why, the game is using the unreal engine 3 (http://www.unrealtechnology.com/flash/technology/ue30.shtml)

Osman_H
03-22-2005, 05:39 PM
why, the game is using the unreal engine 3 (http://www.unrealtechnology.com/flash/technology/ue30.shtml)

proam
03-22-2005, 07:07 PM
It doesn't automatically mean that when you use some engine that graphics look good and Elders Scrolls IV is just a proof of that. I can use my own eyes and see that those screens are pretty bad, but what Epic has done with the engine by themselves looks good. Still, I feel Epic is just scratching the surface with those shots and I'm expecting Xbox2 games look MUCH better when it approaches the end of its lifetime (like Xbox now).

proam
03-22-2005, 07:07 PM
It doesn't automatically mean that when you use some engine that graphics look good and Elders Scrolls IV is just a proof of that. I can use my own eyes and see that those screens are pretty bad, but what Epic has done with the engine by themselves looks good. Still, I feel Epic is just scratching the surface with those shots and I'm expecting Xbox2 games look MUCH better when it approaches the end of its lifetime (like Xbox now).

SpiderFreak
03-22-2005, 07:48 PM
I just knew it.

I (personally) just think Halo 2's graphics are much better, esspecially the models. Just today I had an Elite right next to my Spartan, zoomed in, and the graphics were STILL awesome. Yes, Half-Life 2 and Chaos Theory have awesome graphics (my HL2 looks so sweet now that I have a 128MB card instead of my old 32 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ), but Halo 2 has better. Again, that's my opinion. I'm not trying to force it on anyone, and I'm not trying to bring people over to my point of view. I just want to say what I think.

SF

P.S. I'm not judging HL2 ot CT based on my PC, because I know I don't have the best graphics card, I'm basing it on my Xbox Demo, and what screenshots I've seen of HL2.

SpiderFreak
03-22-2005, 07:48 PM
I just knew it.

I (personally) just think Halo 2's graphics are much better, esspecially the models. Just today I had an Elite right next to my Spartan, zoomed in, and the graphics were STILL awesome. Yes, Half-Life 2 and Chaos Theory have awesome graphics (my HL2 looks so sweet now that I have a 128MB card instead of my old 32 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ), but Halo 2 has better. Again, that's my opinion. I'm not trying to force it on anyone, and I'm not trying to bring people over to my point of view. I just want to say what I think.

SF

P.S. I'm not judging HL2 ot CT based on my PC, because I know I don't have the best graphics card, I'm basing it on my Xbox Demo, and what screenshots I've seen of HL2.

proam
03-22-2005, 09:57 PM
Yeah, you have freedom to express your opinion, just like a fly can express its opinion that sh*t tastes good.. not that we have to agree with that though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

proam
03-22-2005, 09:57 PM
Yeah, you have freedom to express your opinion, just like a fly can express its opinion that sh*t tastes good.. not that we have to agree with that though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif