PDA

View Full Version : How to load a custom map?

michaelkeel
07-05-2009, 01:07 PM
Sorry for asking a simple question, but how do I load custom maps in the game?

I've downloaded Jacks maps, but I'm a bit stuck.

I've tried the console command \map capulets, that doesn't work. I've loaded the map in the editor but couldn't find a way to do it from there. I've searched the web and these forums but cannot find an answer.

I have created a 'user maps' directory and even tried a right click and open with... still no luck.

Apologies for being dim!

Mangs607
07-05-2009, 01:38 PM
You need to give more info. Such as:

<LI> Whether it's for a dedicated or non-dedicated Internet server, or a LAN server

<LI> Is it a Ranked or Player Match

<LI> Where did you place the "user maps" folder you created? This folder is supposed to already exist.

<LI> Did you download the maps from the community map server in the game, or from a website?

michaelkeel
07-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the reply mangs!

Okay I don't know the answer to the first two questions, that probably doesn't help.

I got the map from here: http://www.fc2maps.com/maps.php?map_id=2480

I suppose your first question has me thinking that I can't just download a map and play it. I thought these custom maps were for single player enjoyment? or do they have to run from a server?

I created the user maps folder in c:\documents and settings\owner\my documents\my games\far cry 2\

Mangs607
07-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Sorry if you're disappointed, but all user created maps can only be played in the game's Multiplayer.

The directory where you created that folder is exactly where it's supposed to be. I'm guessing that you've already placed your downloaded maps in your "user maps" folder. If not, then you need to do so. It seems that if you did not already have that folder (user maps), it was probably because it had not yet been generated by the game.

Have you created an online profile? If not, then you could just quickly create an "offline profile" and start a LAN match by choosing "create server" and load the map up and force start the game. You would then be able to look around the map and see if you would like playing it on Multiplayer.

Jack-Frost
07-05-2009, 10:44 PM
Hey Michael:

Yeah, I'm sorry to disappoint. I wish that Ubi had allowed us to develop and share our own single-player levels, but I'm realizing more and more that once they've received their money, they could not possibly care about their customer base.

You can only play custom maps in online multi-player games.

Ubi does this: market the crap out of a product, hype, hype, hype, get customers excited that something really special is about to come their way.

And then what they actually deliver is mostly unfinished, untested, and a great disappointment. Sure, it's just a game, and we shouldn't let our emotions play into it, but Ubi has developed a pretty terrible pattern.

This game was advertised like crazy, and one of those elements was the map editor. Only to find that, though it is by far the most intuitive editor and can make incredibly beautiful maps... it is severely crippled.

There are any number of incredibly creative people who could make some great story-driven maps, with beautiful scenery and fantastic gameplay, and we'd love to share those missions with each other.

But sadly, in multiplayer, people for the most part don't want to think, or engage, they just want instant action and rapid-fire action. Which if fine if that's your thing...

But I've yet to find a multiplayer game that rewards playing smart. Mostly, if you jump around like a bunny and hold the trigger down, you'll do well.

Damn. Does anybody else hate watching "mercenaries" carrying automatic weapons jump 3 feet in the air in rapid succession? Sure. That's allowed.

But heaven forbid you try to crawl under something or go prone for a well-aimed shot.

Anyway. We'd love for you to come play on Jack Frost, we'd be happy to consider and host any custom maps you make that are realistic environments that reward smart play.

Also, don't use fc2maps' site for my maps. You can always find the latest version of mine, and every map we host on Jack Frost at http://www.mediafire.com/jackfrost

michaelkeel
07-06-2009, 01:46 AM
Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up guys. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I suppose if I went online under multiplayer, the 'user maps' folder would be automatically created.

So now I'm going have to deal with jumping bunnies armed to the teeth, ah well... I'll give it a go and see how I fare.

All those server/multiplayer woes I've been reading about make more sense now. Thanks for the link Jack.

M.