PDA

View Full Version : Banning ppl because you can?

BlutoniumBoy
12-29-2005, 08:25 PM
I know I was just recently saying how much I missed the game, however, what I don't miss are the servers that are so eager to say they are going to ban someone. Yes, it is their server and I respect that. I personally don't have an issue with being banned if it were I that was being an a$$.

Problem is, I don't really find any reason to ban someone other than cheating or just plain old being a nuisance. Just because you don't like someone that says something you don't like, is it really any reason to limit someones play? Especially since the community is struggling as it is.

IMO, if you are going to run a server and/or clan, then you need to be prepared for thing's to be said that you don't agree with. Thats part of being an adult. I don't think it is very mature to be so quick to use your self empowered admin rights just to show someone that you can ban them.

I personally don't think it is a very smart move since there are fewer servers. You never know how many freinds one may have that will want to play Far Cry but the guy you just banned told them that the FC community is a bunch of lame admins whom are quick to ban people. IMO, you are hanging yourself and the community if you abuse these rights. If someone breaks a major infraction and has been warned yet doesn't heed the warning, then a ban is called for.

This has nothing to do with me so don't flame me for not adhering to server rules. I have just seen a couple of times and have heard a couple of stories of people being banned for, IMO, for not really any good reason. Yes, again, I know it is their server and they can do as they wish. I am just looking to make people and the community aware that this maybe impacting the community as a whole.

pete592
12-30-2005, 09:46 AM
I'm totally with you, Bluto.

I've posted messages like this in the past regarding admins who are drunk with power. I was always very clear in stating that my main concern was the health of the community. The typical reply went something like this: "My server, my rules. I've been an admin for 50 years and I've lost my patience for anyone who sneezes wrong while playing on my server!"

Stringed_Evil
12-30-2005, 11:13 AM
I prefer offical servers with ff disabled, a language filter, idle booter, spam message limits - basically a child-safe environment over a power-hungry admin any day.
Admins who act like that deserve only to play against bots. Baka.

BlutoniumBoy
12-30-2005, 12:45 PM
Well I am glad to see that I am not alone here. I was sort of afraid that people would jump down my throat and say "well if you don't like it, rent or build your own." True enough statement. However, not everyone, especially the younger crowds, can afford to do so.

To any of the "newer" admins that read this, please just think about the consequences we may all suffer just for you to satisfy your need for empowerment. I know the old skool people in here know better, or atleast I would hope so.

CuZtds_Lst_Stnd
12-30-2005, 01:20 PM
While sympathising with the point you are making re abuse, I would sooner have an admin present anyday because the majority <STRIKE>clowns </STRIKE> players on most servers are incapable of voting....
Or find it funny that the other team has a problem so vote against a kick...
And yes I just left another game because of an idiot teamkiller...

The other serious point is that they (the clan)pay for the server they can run it how they like... While it would be nice if all servers were well admined and there were no problems, I would suggest you vote with your "feet". Dont play the cranky admind server...

Sorry for being the square peg but i am in a bad mood now! lol

CuZ

BlutoniumBoy
12-30-2005, 02:25 PM
The other serious point is that they (the clan)pay for the server they can run it how they like...

Sorry for being the square peg but i am in a bad mood now! lol

CuZ

I don't find you to be a square by any means. You have a valid point. However, the clans that do pay for their servers look to play other clans that pay for their servers. They aren't going to find those clans to play because they have given the FC communtiy a bad rep for banning ppl for no seeming apparent reason. It's a hierarchy event. The admins actions of jumping to a ban could inadvertently be affecting the community. I'm not saying no bans should be allowed, not by any means, IMO I think they need to be thought over -Did they really do something that is affecting the play of the game? Are they troubling team mates with their accessive TKing? I don't think that a ban is in place because he/she said something you as an admin didn't like. It happens all the time. Just swallow your pride a little - for the survival of MP Far Cry - and let the game go on. Thats all I am saying.

UBW_Clivey
12-30-2005, 03:38 PM
Most clans and I do mean most, have very few rules

1. No cheating. This is the normal reason for a ban, be it by PB or the server admin

2. Just like 22nd SAS (porks will probably join in here after his daily tbag session), most clans hate people coming on a server and start voting to change maps/restart when there are clearly Clan members playing. This normally starts with a Kick after a few warnings, but can end up banning if someone is persistently coming back in and doing it again an again.Its not being a powermonger here, but simply 20 other people would have been enjoying the game up to then.

3. Dont be abusive towards others on the server.

Granted there are some powermongers out there, but the majority are ok.

fabulouscoops
12-30-2005, 04:31 PM
To expand on #3

Abusive means sexually or racially inapropriate names of language, TKing, bombspamming ammo pickups and other annoying stuff bored peeps can think up. (Like laying down in the doorway of an indoor spawnpoint when FF is turned off.)

Remember, there are women playing this game and fathers and sons, and just some folks who paid for a server to have fun with their friends and don't abide cussin' and swearin'.

CuZtds_Lst_Stnd
12-30-2005, 05:16 PM
I think to a degree the posts relect the situ of the Euro vs US game.

In Europe there are still many servers lots of choice and 99% well admin'd. The other week playing urban2 for the 2nd time it was only when he stopped still to type to me (while i shot him in the headhttp://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif)I realised that Legolas TAW had asked me 3 times to stop encroaching on spawn or be kicked. Note asked...
I apologised straight away as I didnt know the map then and we played on. A great example of how to admin...http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

In the US there ironically now seems less choice of servers and if your face doesnt fit or if your laptop starts lagging you get kicked http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
Well I am back for the next "pwn a Brit" event from the 3rd so I hope there are some nice admins left! lol

Like I said BB, i accept the point but in response to others would still sooner play on a well admined server WITH FULL PB CHECKS running....
Two responses for the price of one...
And if you check splatterladder, I am PB's new plaything ATM.... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Night all

CuZ

nsh4579
12-30-2005, 05:30 PM
This is so true.. An example I seen the other night was that a player was thought to be using a speed hack but did not look obvious by no means.. The player in question was kicked and banned without warning by the admin on the server.. In my opinion he was not using anything to his advantage but for some reason the admin decided he wasn't playing by the rules.. Take it for what you will but I don't believe that's the right way to handle this situation.. The admin never even once gave a clear explanation as to why he believed this cheating was going on. He just said you are using a speed hack after this the kick and ban was then enforced.. Not going to mention who the admin was but if he acts like that he isn't going to have anyone playing on their servers.