PDA

View Full Version : nub questions

crush_depth
03-29-2005, 05:27 AM
hi to all
first let me say what a great game, well done devs. i got a few questions, but not too many as i quite like finding things out for myself.
i been playing for a few days, atm i play with 73% realism (cant get the hang of TDC just yet). i could do with some help on these:
1. how to go about dealing with destroyers? man the ai is mean, they get me every time.
2. do medals have any effect on the crew apart fom making them look important?
3. can a damage control team stop flooding?
cheers for any help

TASKFORCE1x1
03-29-2005, 07:21 AM
Seems the DD's dont go backward hardly at all. As for sneeking away its a good idea to rig for silent running. understand that you cannot load torpedoes as you do this. Other noise ceases also.

reumatiib
03-29-2005, 07:25 AM
I have the game on order. But I think the post I made about depth specs covers you DD problem too. Here it is:

"good engineers ALWAYS design their specs well with in safety margins. The German designers were good engineers. Thus the U-boats COULD go much deeper. Anyone SHOULD know that! No German engineer would have created a depth spec that exactly matched the real danger point for crush depth.

But I found that ubi made these same mistakes in SH2 and also screwed up when it came to sonar and radar ranges, Apparently the SH2 designers looked at the manuals for sonar and radar and just took them at face value. Of course they should have known, but did not, that companies that build radars and sonar always INFLATE the abilites of their equipment to make their product to appear better than it really was. The result was that in SH2 DD were locating U-boats at ridiculously long ranges that conflicted with the real life accounts of U-boat captains. Luckily I could go into the DDF files and change the specs so that they better matched history. In WWII Radars and sonars and other equipment never performed the same in REAL COMBAT conditions as they were advertized to do in their manuals.

The truth is, PC games are built by geek programmers and not usually by old military guys or historians. In SH2 the U-baots had an unreal turning radius, that made them closer to a battleship than to a destroyer. And I know that in the data files SH2 lumped most cargo ships into a turning radius of 70, even though the cargo ships were all sizes, shapes and tonage!

I'd bet its all the same in SH3. So I hope one can still access and change the data files."

Sawito
03-29-2005, 07:26 AM
Re: Destroyers
Run silent, run deep. try to give them as little a profile you can when they get close to you with the ASDIC (try to face them or show them your ****). When they are on an attack run (Before they drop the depth charges)
the ASDIC is unuseable, as it is for a while after the depth charges explode... use this time to get some separation.

Re: Medals.

I don't know about the crew, but the officers seem to tire less when they have medals. I now have 3 officers with Knight Cross, and they seem to no longer tire at all.

agmaus
03-29-2005, 07:36 AM
First of all depth matters. If the water is deep enough I use crash dive a lot. I try to remain at periscope depth at flank speed and position myself to get off a shot at the DD, usually within 500 meters. Torp set on magnetic and high speed. if I get myself into a position that gives the DD the advantage, I crash dive and remain silent until he passes, then go back periscope depth and try to get off a shot. I would say that I'm successful 75% of the time. In reality, this tactic would probably be considered gutsy or even reckless, but hey it's a game. The English Channel by the way is a bad place to hone your DD killer skills.

TASKFORCE1x1
04-04-2005, 10:57 PM
Topic moved to Com. Help April 5 2004.