PDA

View Full Version : Refuelling

KPII
05-10-2007, 05:06 AM
I understand that there is no refuelling subs/ships in the game, but is there any way of refuelling during the current mission?

I spend most of my game time travelling from base to insertion point and back ... going on batteries as much as possible, but this takes for ages.

btw I'm using the FTT mod

any advice would be helpful

yngvef
05-10-2007, 05:37 AM
You can dock at all ports with an anchor symbol to get more fuel and torpedoes.

Going on batteries does NOT save fuel, on the contrary... Depleting your batteries makes the diesel engines work harder to recharge the batteries AND drive the sub forward (unless you stop the sub and use the recharge-bug as a cheat).

Running on 1/3 or 2/3 speed will get you most places without running out of fuel. If you're stationed at Pearl Harbor, you should always refuel at Midway on the way out, and you have the opportunity to do it on the way back too. Between Pearl and Midway, you can run at full speed (running at flank is probably unrealistic as the engines would overheat I think). http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

KPII
05-10-2007, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the response. I would have thought that running on BATT would have conserved fuel. I'm almost certain that I had to return from Java to Brisbane and the CMD "total distance on current speed" (I use FTT 2.x) displayed as a few hundred NM less than what I had in the tanks, so I used battery as much as possible and made it to base with a few fumes left in the tank.

tenakakhan_1981
05-10-2007, 07:30 AM
I can see i'm going to have to switch on these particular realism settings, for the sake of authenticity!

The last time I had to deal with fuel consumption in a game was Desert Strike etc on Sega Mega Drive! Great days http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

KPII
05-10-2007, 09:39 AM
funny enough - I just returned to Brisbane and got a sub promotion (gato I think), at the same time I transferred to Pearl and I can now reach my insertion area (photo recon of carrier group at AMBON ...LOL) with 3/4 tank left. Either I had a crappy sub or the distance from Brisbane i unproportional .... anyway, wish me luch on that mission, I'm gonna need it!

KPII
05-10-2007, 12:15 PM
Holy moly! I thought this might have been an easy mission, but I'm on my third try crawling in on very shallow waters just to get a picture! In the first two tries I thought I was going to nail my first carrier .... no such luck ...

Need another approach .... or even better, some good advice!

Thanks!