PDA

View Full Version : Historical Accuracy

HoslerD
05-16-2005, 03:54 PM
I just wanted to make a post to let everyone on the Forums know....and I hope that the development team may catch wind of it as well that the maps and the details of Normandy, the hedgerow country and towns were amazing.

I played the game before I had ever been to Normandy and I just got back from spending 3 days there. While I was there going through towns like Vierville, St. Marie du Mont, and Carentan I found myself having feelings of deja vu because of playing the game. Now if that is not a testament to the accuracy of this game I don't know what is.

GREAT JOB GEARBOX!! I hope that you keep up the good work and that you release many add on missions for this game.

saltandgin
05-20-2005, 04:49 AM
Did you dive into a hege as soon you heard a loud noise? :P

fredob1944
05-20-2005, 05:40 AM
Yes the countryside is amazingly done. I'm from Normandy and it really feels like home. I think the game is both amazing and frustrating. If you play from easy to difficult, the game is great but what a letdown in authentic mode. Here is a short list of my biggest letdown:
- Weapon accuracy. While the Germans can pick you a 50 yards in 2-3 shots, you or the team would not be able to shoot a cow tied to a tree
- Why to I have to be in line of sight of the germans I want my team to aim at ? All that happen is getting shot (see accuracy)
- I didn't know Sherman or Stuart didn;t have a reverse!! Ask the tank to move back and it will take it forever to turn around.
- Ubisoft has succeeded in having every single german fight to the death. Only on rare occasion do the germans retreat. On buying the farm, On was being pounded by 15 rounds and just stood there. How about a gameplay that has a tipping point that once reached, the german retreats (or you do not achieve te objective) This way, from easy to authentic, you could have the german running away easily or fight harder. So as you progress throught the difficulty levels, you would discover new german positions. Right now, from easy to authentic, there is the same number of Germans, in the same place doing the same thing. The difference is that they are more accurate.
- Finally, why can I only stand and crouch, stand or wallk. I'd like to lie down to avoid getting shot through the edgerow and be able to run like hell If I need to cross the street !
None the less it's a fun game.

ivan_aka_kata
05-21-2005, 08:24 AM
fredob, you're from Normandy? Where do you live?
IvaN

narcoleptus
05-26-2005, 06:56 PM
Hi,
just spent the past few days looking up Normandy Hedgerows on google. I came across links about the problems the allies had with the hedgerow system and how the germans could hide a convoy of panzers in a hedgerow they were so big!!
I live in the county of somerset in sw uk. The local landscape is very similiar to that part of Normandy, I've been a modest landscape artist for some time and am fascinated by attemps to do good quality virtual landscapes like the ones in BIA.
I studied medieval english hedgerows, of which we have a few left and was wondering how similar they are to the ones in Normandy 1944.
Given how modern farming has virtually obliterated old fashioed hedgerows.

fredob1944,
Do you know if the old fashioned Normandy hedgerows consist of what is effectively a double hedge filled with large trees with a large ditch running between them?(big enough for a panzer tank).
I'm interested because a virtual map with recreations of these magnificent hedgerows, apart from being visually unforgettable would be incedibly good from the point of view of firefights, flanking, ambushes etc, which was, historically what happened.

UsedM1
05-29-2005, 10:54 AM
i took a trip to normandy last summer and i have to say the countryside looked just like the countryside in bia.

bettybake
10-06-2009, 03:42 AM
A previous discussion about the first 9/11 movie, United 93, brought up a number of quite relevant points. First we discussed if it was too early, and we turned to the example of films coming out from World War II, and that turned us to talk about modern War films such as Pearl Harbour, U-571 and other such historically inept movies.

It was also pointed out that perhaps United 93 isn't that accurate anyway, taking as it does outside conversations and using them to create the timeline of events and thereby what happened on that plane.

It's not just this film either, there's many others and with all this inaccuracy are we in danger of preaching the wrong message? Of incorrectly educating by stealth the general public and changing our understanding of history?

<span class="ev_code_RED">*** Advertising Link Removed***</span>