PDA

View Full Version : How did they find me???

semperfi2005
08-05-2005, 09:36 AM
I was just goofing around the yesterday and thought I would sneak into Halifax to see what it looked like. Everything I did was textbook, silent running at 1 knot, anytime a destroyer came remotely near me, i would stop the screws long enough to get them out of detedtion range.
Literally, out of nowhere dives a plane and drops a depth charge square on my boat. It was the middle of the night, and not a single destroyer had came close to seeing me. After that, everyone knew exactally where I was. After fumming about how they did that, I realized my stern was sticking out of the water and my bow was down in the sand due to the massive flooding that was not being solved due to silent running. Amazingly the 4 destroyers never shot at me or anything the entire time my stern was in the air. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif
But with my decoy launcher, stern dive planes, all my flack guns, deck gun, destroyed and my batteries cracked ( they got reduce to about 20% instantlly) I knew I was toast. I tried silentlly slipping out but there was no way I could make it. So I did the only thing any respectable captain can do... I gunned it "Das Boot" style. Still the destroyers were not firing at me, but just turned in my direction and procceded to ram me to death.

It was fun but I want to know how in the Heck that plane spotted? Anyone have a similar incident?

Flakwalker
08-05-2005, 10:10 AM
There was searchlights near you?, snorkel out?

semperfi2005
08-05-2005, 10:47 AM
Nope. I don't have a snorkel, and the only searchlights came after I had been creamed by the plane's depthcharge. Once the destroyers searchlights came on they still didn't fire at me, even though my stern was sticking way out of the water.

AVGWarhawk
08-05-2005, 01:01 PM
I would imagine if anything was out of the water, the plane could detect you via radar.

HimmelJaeger
08-05-2005, 02:39 PM
I'm thinking AVG is right. If your stern was sticking out of the water like that, then yes, the plane probably detected it by radar. I've come up on destroyers in 1945 in a nighttiem storm and ran on the surface quite literally right next to them within spitting distance and have them not spot me sometimes, I attribute it to some kind of blind spot or just sheer dumb luck. Only works with 15m winds, high waves and heavy fog and precip though. I'm guessing you just got lucky, but the radar got ya. Heck, I've been bombed to bejesus with my stupid snorkel stickin out of the water, much less anything else. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif