PDA

View Full Version : Web browsers.... whaddya think....

Bearcat99
12-22-2010, 04:20 PM
I currently use FF... I am thinking of Chrome... I will be upgrading my OS to W7 over the holidays..(Already have it just have to install ....) and I am, thinking of switching browsers.. What are you guys using and why...

stalkervision
12-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
I currently use FF... I am thinking of Chrome... I will be upgrading my OS to W7 over the holidays..(Already have it just have to install ....) and I am, thinking of switching browsers.. What are you guys using and why...

Did you know you can make your F/F browser all "Merry Christmas" looking for the holidays?

I have and it looks mighty mighty pretty. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

don't ask me how I did it though. It's a F/F app. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

It will probably be there till next Christmas. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blush.gif

VW-IceFire
12-22-2010, 04:57 PM
Right now I'm split on browsers to use.

IE9 beta is VERY good although sometimes it craps out. Still, it's a massive improvement over the old one. The UI is clean and simple and the rendering is lightning fast... buggy but then it's a beta. Still has no spell checking inline which is sorely missed.

Firefox 4.0 beta 8 I'm using right now. It's reasonably solid for a beta but it still has some glitches. I've been using beta 7 until today when I upgraded to 8. It's a good improvement over 3.5, especially in the UI, but it's not quite final yet.

I started using Google Chrome at work. It's extremely fast, simple, but it don't find it quite as easy to use when I want to do something specific. As a straight out browser it's pretty darn good too. The new "app store" is well done as well.

GoToAway
12-22-2010, 05:06 PM
FF. Been using it for years without problems. Before that I used Mozilla.

MS squandered any goodwill with IE years ago (and it STILL isn't standards compliant. FF is. I don't care what strides they've made--too little, too late.)

I've never understood the point to Opera, so I've always steered clear of it.

As for Chrome... I'm becoming a bit wary of google. They're becoming a bit too ubiquitous. They already provide email and DNS. With a browser, a person's entire online interaction could potentially pass through a single corporate entity... and Google certainly isn't above data mining.

WTE_Galway
12-22-2010, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:

Firefox 4.0 beta 8 I'm using right now.

latest x64 release is 4.0b9pre

thefruitbat
12-22-2010, 05:07 PM
chrome for the win, i really like it.

BillSwagger
12-22-2010, 05:15 PM
i use chrome.
It loads faster than Modzilla and that's the only reason i use it. It has the same features so i end up using Modzilla as a back up.
Sometimes Chrome doesn't load pages properly, particularly some of the flash players, or adobe applications but this problem has become more rare with the added updates.

Cajun76
12-22-2010, 05:20 PM
FF works for 99.9% of what I want it to do, with important security apps like NoScript and AdBlock, as wel az spel czech. An integrated IE renderer/switcher, flash movie downloader and customized weather/radar rounds out it's functionality for me.

Chrome is a good go to at times: I just got Netflix and had problems with FF. Runs on Chrome just fine. There's probably a security feature I need to give Netflix an exception to make it run on FF.

I could go either way honestly, but I've been with FF for awhile now and with the apps I have installed, it does what I want it to do in a manner I'm accustomed.

An example: I have 4 protected tabs that never close and can easily download something off Youtube, do a quick weather check while seeing zero ads on Facebook.

jarink
12-22-2010, 05:48 PM
I'm a long-time FF user as well. it may be a split-second slower than IE9 or Chrome, but I'm well used to it. I also don't fully trust Google and IE won't get any votes of confidence from me until it's truly separated from Windows (allowing uninstall and reinstall).

FF shines best with the huge number of add-ons.

erco415
12-22-2010, 06:58 PM
I've been very happy with chrome. Used FF quite a bit, and loved it, but I like chrome's utilitarian nature and speed- not to mention how it handles searches and tabs.

If you don't care for being so tight with Google, you can use a version of chrome called iron. It's chrome without all the callback stuff.

Ba5tard5word
12-22-2010, 08:04 PM
I've always used Firefox and have never had a problem with it.

The new IE is obnoxious because of how they've totally changed the menu setup. I don't get why they stick with a Windows menu system they've used for decades and that set the standard for almost every other Windows program out there, and suddenly rearrange everything so it becomes hard to use. Same with the new version of other programs like Word, Paint, etc. Ironically Firefox still uses the menu style Windows used to use.

VW-IceFire
12-22-2010, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:

The new IE is obnoxious because of how they've totally changed the menu setup. I don't get why they stick with a Windows menu system they've used for decades and that set the standard for almost every other Windows program out there, and suddenly rearrange everything so it becomes hard to use. Same with the new version of other programs like Word, Paint, etc. Ironically Firefox still uses the menu style Windows used to use.
Menus were designed by programmers... Although people have gotten used to them doing things without menus if you can and simplifying the controls is key.

The IE9 interface is may be a preview of Windows 8's UI and Microsoft's efforts to simplify interfaces. Google is sort of the king for simplification most of the time but Microsoft is looking to do the same for their applications as well. It's just more noticeable because we used to the big unwieldy applications of old.

Firefox is ditching menus as well (although you can press Alt to get at the old menus - or configure to leave them on).

WTE_Galway
12-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:

Menus were designed by programmers... Although people have gotten used to them doing things without menus if you can and simplifying the controls is key.

The IE9 interface is may be a preview of Windows 8's UI and Microsoft's efforts to simplify interfaces. Google is sort of the king for simplification most of the time but Microsoft is looking to do the same for their applications as well. It's just more noticeable because we used to the big unwieldy applications of old.

Firefox is ditching menus as well (although you can press Alt to get at the old menus - or configure to leave them on). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No i just completed a course in interface design as part of an IT degree and these new interfaces are definitely of the "looking pretty for the marketing guru's takes precedence over functionality" variety. Its caused serious issues and user resistance for MS with office for example. Most people HATE the new office.

In my workplace a lot of users (and many of them younger) refuse to update office from 2003, the last to have normal menus.

They cite two reasons.

1) in the older MS office you could eventually work out where to go by trial and error it was a matter of logic with the menus.

2) In the older MS Office, commonly used functions were readily visible and less used functions hidden. In the new office its the other way around.

DKoor
12-23-2010, 04:36 AM
Both FF and Chrome are nice. I'm currently using FF because I like taskbars more (I use simple small with a lot of icons).

Choctaw111
12-23-2010, 06:56 AM
I have used Opera for a few months, with FF as a backup.
I have been pretty happy with it for the most part.

Cajun76
12-23-2010, 08:56 AM
Just an update (for anyone having issues):

Netflix works just fine now on FF. Generally, the only time Chrome is fired up is on the rare occasion that someone is here and wants on the internet. I don't have to logout of my email accounts or facebook by using Chrome for guests.

K_Freddie
12-23-2010, 12:07 PM
Using KMeleon (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/) for a while now.. simple and fast, easy to manage/filter all the cr.ap on the net.

Switched from IE, FF and never looked back. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

jarink
12-23-2010, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:

Firefox is ditching menus as well (although you can press Alt to get at the old menus - or configure to leave them on). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No i just completed a course in interface design as part of an IT degree and these new interfaces are definitely of the "looking pretty for the marketing guru's takes precedence over functionality" variety. Its caused serious issues and user resistance for MS with office for example. Most people HATE the new office.

In my workplace a lot of users (and many of them younger) refuse to update office from 2003, the last to have normal menus.

They cite two reasons.

1) in the older MS office you could eventually work out where to go by trial and error it was a matter of logic with the menus.

2) In the older MS Office, commonly used functions were readily visible and less used functions hidden. In the new office its the other way around. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is the problem with program interfaces: they are designed by people with degrees in IT. (disclaimer: I'm in IT, so I'm not just bashing) They should be designed by end users who know better than the programmers what functions they use most often.

M_Gunz
12-23-2010, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:

Switch browsers? I run Seamonkey as my default because it is the closest to the old Netscape with the integrated e-mail. I run FF when I want to download flash videos via Download Helper. I run IE for those sites locked in to the M$ way.

Some day I should check out Chrome though I don't want any new or extra tool or task bars.

voyager_663rd
12-27-2010, 12:41 PM
FF for the ad-blocker. ALSO, there is an ap called "Ghostery" that blocks any and all trackers that websites put on (and tells you how many it's blocking on any particular page as well as the name of the tracker that it's blocking).

Right now for example, it's blocking "google analytics" while on this site.