PDA

View Full Version : Whats with passwords?

banzai_alex
03-27-2005, 01:27 PM
Every server i try to join seems to be password protected. Is there a general password? Most of the time i click okay without typing because maybe it shows up anyhow, but are there any non-password protected servers or a general password?

fenian_ram
03-27-2005, 01:32 PM
Was just about to start a thread on the same thing, it's annoying alright, hard to get a game quickly. I think most people do it because they are a clan and are keeping non-clan players out.

But also I heard somewhere it gets rid of the Ready button problem if the server is password protected. Not sure about that though.

BobV_07
03-27-2005, 01:55 PM
Good question. I have wondered about the same thing. My guess is that it is a clan thing. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

http://adjunct.diodon349.com/photopoint/0037/0046.jpg

soviet_warlord
03-27-2005, 01:57 PM
yes, i believe that being password- protected stops the ready button issue, so after a game, and when ppl want a rematch, the host tells them the password for the next game, which lets them start much faster.

stevenwhiting
03-27-2005, 02:03 PM
Yeah the password thing is the reason I've never bothered with online play. Its annoying and keeps me away. Plus mentioning I might not be very good once actually getting into a server, then getting kicked because of the confession has also put me off.

Frederf220
03-27-2005, 07:34 PM
I wish the screen would let you know it's a Password game, or the maker I dunno... put Password in the title.

cow9th
03-27-2005, 11:51 PM
I Host with a password so only ppl i know get into my games, too many morons on the internet.

it doesnt help the password bug in any way shape or form however,ppl still have trouble joining.

most open servers will be either for recruiting or they wont be clan servers to start with.

Hertston
03-28-2005, 12:24 AM
It's not about keeping people out, but SH3 isn't like FPS games where you can have thirty two players plus in the same game.

If a group of friends (there are no "clans", to my knowledge, although players might be members of a clan for other games) arrange a game for an evening, you don't anybody else gatecrashing their slot. You are also used to using Teamsound or similar, not to "cheat", but just for its social function - talking to friends. Its no different than arranging to meet at a restaurant; you wouldn't expect a stranger to grab one seat on a table for four !

Rather than moaning about it being annoying, do something about it. Host an open game yourself. Or organise one; you don't need a "clan", you could arrange one at subsim, through the Wolfpack League, or why don't you guys get together for your own game ?

TASKFORCE1x1
04-02-2005, 08:23 AM
Topic moved to Com. Help April 2 2004.

MouseNo47
04-03-2005, 12:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TASKFORCE1x1:
_Topic moved to Com. Help April 2 2004._ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah i agree.

Dolinseks
04-03-2005, 08:06 AM
Whats about that "Ready" button? I cant find it anywhere, no matter what non pasword protected mission I try. Is it just me, or all the else?

Pinpoint2RHh
04-03-2005, 09:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I heard somewhere it gets rid of the Ready button problem if the server is password protected. Not sure about that though. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then you heard incorectly, as of V1.1 Passwording a server is no difffrent than the usual join method. The button does not come up upon entry of the password.

I run a server, and one of the many reasons that I choose to password it is due to the limited number of players. My squad has priority over the general public. But I also have sessions where I open it to the public.

In most cases everyone goes for the Type XXI and thats not what I want to have happen, but I can't limit the years or limit the Subs by type for the server. I want people to choose a sub, just not the Type XXI.

If I restrict the year, then people are forced to use the sub that the host uses.