PDA

View Full Version : More Ubisoft vs EA News.

Nightmarecast24
12-29-2004, 03:12 PM
With each passing day, EA's purchase last week of Ubisoft stock looks more and more like the first move in a hostile takeover bid. The investment, in the range of $85 million to $100 million, gives EA access to 18.4 percent of the voting rights, against 22.8 percent held by Ubisoft's founders, the Guillemot family. At the time, EA asserted that it was only buying shares that would be on the market regardless of who purchased them. "It was very clear they were coming into the market one way or another and we felt it was important that we own the shares," Warren Jenson, chief financial officer of EA, said to Reuters news service. Others were less convinced of its plans. "We believe that this move by EA is a step towards acquiring the entire Ubisoft and is a potential signal that EA may be willing to take similar aggressive moves to acquire other leading video game publishers," Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Michael Pachter said in a note.

A Ubisoft spokesperson already said in response, "Pending further information, we consider this operation as hostile." Word comes today from the French investment community that the Guillemot brothers have asked shareholders to not be swayed by the approach of EA. They also are considering reinforcement of their capital position within the ownership group.

1UP will continue to keep a close eye on the situation and bring you updates as any new developments occur.

Nightmarecast24
12-29-2004, 03:12 PM
With each passing day, EA's purchase last week of Ubisoft stock looks more and more like the first move in a hostile takeover bid. The investment, in the range of $85 million to $100 million, gives EA access to 18.4 percent of the voting rights, against 22.8 percent held by Ubisoft's founders, the Guillemot family. At the time, EA asserted that it was only buying shares that would be on the market regardless of who purchased them. "It was very clear they were coming into the market one way or another and we felt it was important that we own the shares," Warren Jenson, chief financial officer of EA, said to Reuters news service. Others were less convinced of its plans. "We believe that this move by EA is a step towards acquiring the entire Ubisoft and is a potential signal that EA may be willing to take similar aggressive moves to acquire other leading video game publishers," Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Michael Pachter said in a note.

A Ubisoft spokesperson already said in response, "Pending further information, we consider this operation as hostile." Word comes today from the French investment community that the Guillemot brothers have asked shareholders to not be swayed by the approach of EA. They also are considering reinforcement of their capital position within the ownership group.

1UP will continue to keep a close eye on the situation and bring you updates as any new developments occur.

KU_
12-29-2004, 03:16 PM
So now EA wants to buy out Ubi?

XyZspineZyX
12-29-2004, 03:17 PM
Ubi won't let EA win, they have to much amazing Tom Clancy games that shareholders will realize that after Chaos Theory hits shelfs that Ubi is the best and won't sell it.

Nightmarecast24
12-29-2004, 03:21 PM
I saw this coming when it happened. I wonder what Rhoulette will tell us about it when she returns, as I remember she said it was only a financial thing..... I don't see how Ubi allowed this to happen knowing EA is evil.

Terrax213
12-29-2004, 03:27 PM
EA = Epitome of A'hole-ism http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

I seriously hope this doesnt escalate into EA taking over Ubisoft in any way, shape, or form.

KU_
12-29-2004, 03:42 PM
I don't get it. Is EA trying to buy out Ubi?

Terrax213
12-29-2004, 03:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nightmarecast24:
Company rested by the family Guillemot, Ubisoft does not hope to remain about it there on business EA. Everyone remembers that a few days ago, Electronic Arts had adapted approximately 20% of the capital ofUbisoft. This repurchase considered to be hostile, Electronic Arts does not seem to want to remain on its assets and intends to take the totality of the company. Of course, Ubisoft counteracts by preparing its defense. The direction ofUbisoft will meet all its shareholders and will try to convince them for not that they are made allure by Electronic Arts. Besides the Guillemot family hopes to reinforce the capital of the group. She has 17,5% at the present time from the capital and 26,5% of the voting rights against 19,9% of the capital and 18,4% of the voting rights for Electronic Arts.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Corporate swines http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Squall_Rifleman
12-29-2004, 04:11 PM
"EA is evil"? C'mon... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
What is Ubisoft, then?

Nightmarecast24
12-29-2004, 04:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Squall_Rifleman:
"EA is evil"? C'mon... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
What is Ubisoft, then? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I won't get into anything with ya so I will just say that EA is evil for buying into a company then once in try to take it over, im sure if Ubi knew EA's true intentions then EA wouldn't own the 20% they have now.
at least when M$ buys a company they offer to buy them out on the spot and not be sneaky about it like EA.

M$ - I want to buy your company?
EA - We want to invest in your company....... *whispering in their minds* then buy you out.
Yeah so EA is evil.

Oh and you asked what is Ubisoft?
Ubisoft is an excellent company who works hard to pump out quality titles one after another.
If they were not then EA would not want to own them, EA is just a lazy company who now wants to be king of a major company so they can make money while sitting on their @sses.
Ubi slaves and EA profits.

XyZspineZyX
12-29-2004, 05:06 PM
You got the right picture Nightmare.

Ninj3r
12-29-2004, 05:31 PM
Let's see if Sam Fisher will infiltrate the EA buildings and hold a knife against the president of EA's throat and say: "If you take over UBI soft, I refuse to be your puppydog any longer and will NOT play in any more upcoming Splinter Cell titles".

Im drunk so I can't find any typo's atm or see if it's proper english so my apologies if it doesn't make sense http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Squall_Rifleman
12-29-2004, 06:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nightmarecast24:
Ubisoft is an excellent company who works hard to pump out quality titles one after another.
If they were not then EA would not want to own them, EA is just a lazy company who now wants to be king of a major company so they can make money while sitting on their @sses.
Ubi slaves and EA profits. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, considering you play Splinter Cell on the Xbox, all I can say is "fair enough". I would like to know, though, if you would still think Ubi is an "excellent company who works hard to pump out quality titles" if you were, say, a PC gamer, watching the company destroy some of your favorite franchises because of the "evil" deal they have with Micro$oft and the purchasing of Red Storm.
The difference between EA and Microsoft is that Bill Gates has a lot of money in his *** - Microsoft doesn't need to be "sneaky". All he has to do is to put his Darth Vader helmet on and say "Rebel scum, surrender to the power of the Empire", and voilá, they bought another company. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

ChaosTheory13
12-29-2004, 06:25 PM
EA is 1 of my favorite comapnies of all time.but i think this is wrong tho.EA is trying to get more employess.i recently heard that they r losing employees bcuz lack of pay.so they r looking to hire more companies so they have more ppl working for them.

ChaosTheory13
12-29-2004, 06:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Squall_Rifleman:
Ubi slaves and EA profits. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
since i heard red storm.do u mean they ruined GR2.wich is my favorite military game.
Well, considering you play _Splinter Cell_ on the _Xbox_, all I can say is "fair enough". I would like to know, though, if you would still think Ubi is an "excellent company who works hard to pump out quality titles" if you were, say, a PC gamer, watching the company destroy some of your favorite franchises because of the "evil" deal they have with Micro$oft and the purchasing of Red Storm.
The difference between EA and Microsoft is that Bill Gates has a lot of money in his *** - Microsoft doesn't need to be "sneaky". All he has to do is to put his Darth Vader helmet on and say "Rebel scum, surrender to the power of the Empire", and voilá, they bought another company. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SoulFire382
12-29-2004, 06:41 PM
(WTF does "noir mean, anyway?
(Scene switches to a guy with 5 'oclock shadow, leaning back on a chair in a small office.
*Sigh*
Just the same corporal bulls**t you see on the news every other day.
Except this one was different. This was personal.
My name is Bullet. Tracer Bullet. I'm a private eye. It says so on my door.
Some dame came up to me yesterday, had a job. The girl, Nightmare, the called her, said EA was trying to buy out Ubisoft.
(Scene switches to guy walking down a new york street, and it's raining heavily.)

Questions pour down like the rain. Why is EA doing this? What good does it do to buy out Ubisoft? Does this mean Red Storm as well?

Suddenly, a black figure flashed across my vision. I pulled out my awesome palm sized revolver detectives always seem to have in thier trench coats, and gave chase.

I had the guy backed up against the wall. Getting closer, I saw it was him. Bond.

Bond, he's a slippery charecter I've been chasing half my life. He was known for impersonating awesome Ubisoft charecters, and getting rewarded by his agency for doing so.

"NO!" He yelled. I wasn't taking any cr@p from him. I pushed the barrel of my revolver into his gut. "Wait!" He said. "I'll give you this camera thing!" He pulled out a fiber-optic camera, SC pistol, a scope to an SC-20K, as well as ammo for the gun. All standard loadout for Splinter Cell operatives.

"Or my vodka!" He pulled out 3 bottles of russian high-quality vodka. "I don't think so." I said. I broke the bottles. He was doused in alchol now. Perfect.
I pulled out a match and lit it.
I moved towards him, brandishing the match with excruciating slowness.

[ [B]picture ends, now showing a large eye ]

Tune in next week, for the exiting conclusion to....

Tracer Bullet, Private Eye!

You should understand by now. James Bond is one of EA's biggest game charecters.

ChaosTheory13
12-29-2004, 06:49 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gifyes he is but i dont play james bond games.i only played goldeneye on the n64.best vs shooting game.

Desert Hawk
12-29-2004, 07:17 PM
EA dont want employees, they want money, pure and simple. Ubisoft publishes a healthy amount of games in one year. If EA took over, besides their own franchise of games, they would have A ton of other games. And to be honest, they would spoil the games. They would make the dev's jobs pretty bad (hour increases pay reductions) making the quality of games worse. I just hope the share holders are smart enough to know EA would ruin one of the best game developers/publishers out there.

ChaosTheory13
12-29-2004, 07:28 PM
yep.EA qould ruin sc and other games.like GR games.wich i jus started to like.i like lots of EA games tho.but they jus need to leave ubi alone.

stealthjim1
12-29-2004, 07:54 PM
even though i like ea ( ea sports) i will be extremely pissed if ea buys out all of ubi. ubi is way too cool. tthey make the best kind of shooter games. i really hope ubi will do something about this!!!!!!!1

ChaosTheory13
12-29-2004, 07:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stealthjim1:
even though i like ea ( ea sports) i will be extremely pissed if ea buys out all of ubi. ubi is way too cool. tthey make the best kind of shooter games. i really hope ubi will do something about this!!!!!!!1 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
but ubi is allowing it! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Desert Hawk
12-29-2004, 08:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ChaosTheory13:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stealthjim1:
even though i like ea ( ea sports) i will be extremely pissed if ea buys out all of ubi. ubi is way too cool. tthey make the best kind of shooter games. i really hope ubi will do something about this!!!!!!!1 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
but ubi is allowing it! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because they dont really have a choice. A company wants to invest in them. There's no law against that. And there is no law against buying another company out. Like i said in my previous post, its upto ubi shareholders. So unless we all go and buy shares in ubi, we dont get a say.

ChaosTheory13
12-29-2004, 08:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Desert Hawk:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ChaosTheory13:
but ubi is allowing it! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because they dont really have a choice. A company wants to invest in them. There's no law against that. And there is no law against buying another company out. Like i said in my previous post, its upto ubi shareholders. So unless we all go and buy shares in ubi, we dont get a say. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
why r they allowing it if its bad.

Desert Hawk
12-29-2004, 08:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Desert Hawk:

Because they dont really have a choice. A company wants to invest in them. There's no law against that. And there is no law against buying another company out. Like i said in my previous post, its upto ubi shareholders. So unless we all go and buy shares in ubi, we dont get a say. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
why r they allowing it if its bad. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because the shareholders most likely dont have a clue about games and what goes on behind the scenes. That's why its happening. And you cant prosecute a company for buying shares or wanting a take over. That's why you have to convince the shareholders to increase their stakes, or stop EA buying their share.

samfisher425
12-29-2004, 11:19 PM
golden eye was not made by ea thats why you loved the n64 game and thats why we all loved that game. look how ea butchered the bond series omg if this happens i will have stick with snake and koniami which they are good but not as good, i recently purchesed snake eater and i loved it. im sorry sam isnt made for teh jungle, he is made for urban areas, inside buildings, anywase on topic

EA is bad because they butcher games, also could EA start to becaume a monopoly? if they keep at this rate... i know barley anything about economics because i havnt even finished a year in high school.(im in 9th grade right now)

wow ok im done lol

John HX
12-30-2004, 03:11 AM
You know, before this little incident, I actually liked EA... Things change, huh?

pretend3r
12-30-2004, 03:57 AM
they sure do.... EA is going for a monopoly position

ChaosTheory13
12-30-2004, 06:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SLT-icecap:
You know, before this little incident, I actually liked EA... Things change, huh? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
well i liked EA always.i still do with this happening.but im not a fanboy over them.i jus like a few games from them and im good.
burnout 3
NFL Street 2
Madden 2005 and a couple more games

DraSTIk88
12-30-2004, 07:16 AM
I dont give a flying fudge who takes over who, i just want the games, from EA or Ubisoft... either one will be fine.

ChaosTheory13
12-30-2004, 07:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DraSTIk88:
I dont give a flying fudge who takes over who, i just want the games, from EA or Ubisoft... either one will be fine. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
ok imagine how sc will look if EA is making it.it wont look very good would it.

BlacK-HawK47
12-30-2004, 07:30 AM
i wil give ea a huge BOOOOO if thyey buy out ubisoft

their games suck btw, exept for nfs underground 2

DraSTIk88
12-30-2004, 07:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DraSTIk88:
I dont give a flying fudge who takes over who, i just want the games, from EA or Ubisoft... either one will be fine. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
ok imagine how sc will look if EA is making it.it wont look very good would it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well when they buy out ubi, ubi's staff will move to ea.... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

DraSTIk88
12-30-2004, 07:46 AM
Btw, which games of ubisoft do ea own now?

John HX
12-30-2004, 08:33 AM
None whatsoever. But they own like 20% of the company, and people think its the start of a hostile takover, which means EA would have complete control of Ubi. Which isn't good, if you haven't figured that out.

Hatchetforce
12-30-2004, 08:46 AM
An EA buyout or controlling stock option would be bad for all of us. Diversity is the life blood of any industry. It breeds competition, lowers prices, and pours out innovation.

Remember when 3dFx almost cornered the PC graphics market? Everyone would have been forced to use Glide. They also did not believe in 32bit color. Then Nvidia attempted the same thing. Why does a company need to innovate or lower prices when they are the sole contributor of a particular item? Where is the public accountability when you have a situation that goes "Yes the product is poor but they are the only one that has it." I do not game sports titles but there is little doubt that EA exclusivity will reduce the quality from what it could have been. Not to mention consumer choice just went right out the window.

EA takes a very hard line to marketing with less a concern for the actual title quality. This is why certain EA titles are edited so they do not recieve a mature rating. It certainly was not the dev Team's idea. All of this is packaged nicely under the guise of corporate responsibility. But it is in reality about that which drives an industry. The bottom line - aka the dollar.

DS12
12-30-2004, 10:08 AM
Dh is right, there is really nothing Ubi can do at the present to stop what looks like the beginnings of a hostile take over. Anyone who thinks that the Clancy franchise will not be effected by this is more ignorant than I could have ever suspected. It has been said above, instead of takeing their time on every game and makeing sure each one is as near perfect as possible, EA likes to turn out loads of crappy games in as short a time period as possible.

ChaosTheory13
12-30-2004, 10:36 AM
Btw, which games of ubisoft do ea own now? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
none wat-so-ever. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

cellfan88
12-30-2004, 11:45 AM
If you want to see what SC would look like if EA completely bought out UBI, heres what it would look like. http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=899100304&m=7231017452
this was made by chaos_recon I believe.

Knot3D
12-30-2004, 11:49 AM
Some good news !

Ubisoft may receive govt backing in defence against Electronic Arts - report (http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/041230/323/f9e6u.html)

Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot speaks his mind on the EA deal (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/12/29/news_6115594.html)

John HX
12-30-2004, 12:02 PM
Hey, I dont understand one word of that article, but goverment backing seems good to me!
Thx Knot3D.

cellfan88
12-30-2004, 12:09 PM
Yeah thanks!

wk_
12-30-2004, 12:59 PM
Just in case anyone has missed ea_spouse:
EA human res. pol. (http://www.livejournal.com/users/ea_spouse/2004/11/10/)

Knot3D
12-30-2004, 02:08 PM
To put things in proper perspective :

* each game developer and especially the publishers are in the biz to make profits ;

no shame in that. they're all equal in regard
to profits.

* dedicated workhours ;

indeed, all game devs make crunch time hours. IT's inherent to the biz.

* company development policy ;

based on the demographics, in other words : the target audience of the game product.

EA differs from publishers like Ubi, on these key aspects. Nuances should be made though.

If all is right then above mentioned key aspects should result in the main games of a developer/publisher to be of the best quality possible. By 'quality' I mean technically, gameplay design originality etc.
The thing is ; EA's (probably trademarked) 'method' at those key aspects conflicts with the quality of the game product they are putting out. The worst part is ; they are fully aware of the subpar quality becuz this method gets them the most sales on the most wide installed base possible : the mainstream gamers.

It's good to 'stimulate' your coders and artists, but pushing them too far and enforcing upon them these parameters drains all creativity and developer enthusiasm out of them. This creates the effect of a developer 'writer's block'. Ubi handles this differently ; their teams get 5 months extra to both work on all versions (the userbase profit aspect) AND perfect the SC:CT game quality itself. That's the essential difference which Yves Guillemot fears to lose if EA would seize actual power.

wk_
12-30-2004, 03:21 PM
Not only game devs make crunch time hours - in fact most of the developers in IT industry know these.

However, there's a point - as you (Knot3D) stated - where such a working mode results in demotivation and less quality (more errors per LOC, less ideas ..). It's perfectly ok to work in crunch mode if a release has to be prepared - but doing this constantly is a step back to pre/beginning industrialization. (Besides, it is a clear sign of wrong project management.)

In a nutshell: I strongly respect Ubi for making the decision to give the developers more time on SC:CT and postponing the 'go-golden'. It indicates that the management is interested not only in profit, but also in quality of the games and - who knows - even in the people working at Ubi.

I fear with EA as owner this all would go down the closet - and of course Europe would lose another software comp.

Just for the record: The new killing features are more a reason for me NOT to buy CT than any delay could ever be.

PhilosopherCop
12-31-2004, 08:53 AM
Should be intresting to see how this works out

C.A.T.ops
12-31-2004, 09:32 AM
I bet EA will buy UBI eventually. Think about all the other companies they've taken over...

ChaosTheory13
12-31-2004, 09:32 AM
Ubisoft is gonna win! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Knot3D
12-31-2004, 09:51 AM
CATops, read previous posts ;

The French government will help Ubisoft against the evil EA. Hurray !