PDA

View Full Version : *Frustrated* Need help w/ manual targeting

Shrap
03-19-2005, 02:24 AM
Ok I have a problem w/ setting the speed timer.

I enter all the data then click the stop watch and wait anywhere between 20 secs to 1 minute but it always gives me the wrong speed (usually 10+ knots faster than the ship can go).

I've redone my info 10 tiemsover but still get the wrong speed.

What the heck am I doing wrong?

Tomcat41
03-19-2005, 03:47 AM
u only have to do 10-12 seconds really.

i assume that if u are doing it for so much longer the angle of bearing and range change in the meantime so that it becomes inaccurate...

do u have angle of bearing correct? it is the anglle, from which someone ON THE TARGET would see YOUR boat if they were looking at u.

?

and obviously range has to be correct as well hehe

Shrap
03-19-2005, 04:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tomcat41:
u only have to do 10-12 seconds really.

i assume that if u are doing it for so much longer the angle of bearing and range change in the meantime so that it becomes inaccurate...

do u have angle of bearing correct? it is the anglle, from which someone ON THE TARGET would see YOUR boat if they were looking at u.

?

and obviously range has to be correct as well hehe <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was using the bearing off of the scope so that might be it.

How do you precisely determine at what angle someone looking at your sub would be?

Tomcat41
03-19-2005, 04:41 AM
i dont know, i just guess based on what i see

marauderiv
03-19-2005, 05:15 AM
angle of bow is the direction ship is heading relative to you, with you facing 0 degree and ship is traveling toward you, that's 180 deg AOB. not your bearing

flyinj
03-19-2005, 05:28 AM
I made this incredible artistic piece to illustrate three examples and how you'd set the bearing circle for AOB:

http://www.zlilo.com/~flyinj/Angle.jpg

PoweredBySoy
03-19-2005, 07:34 AM
lol. Sweet photoshop skills, flyinj! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

This deserves a bump, as there will surely be 10 more AOB posts today.

Krycek1972
03-19-2005, 07:44 AM
If the range measurement is way off, so will the speed calculation.

If you want to practise and see if your results are anywhere near what they should be, ask your weapons office for a solution and compare what he gets to what you measured. Ive used this and its allowed me to sharpen my own manual TDC skills.