PDA

View Full Version : I love this game forever but it has one major flaw

aholycowww
10-26-2011, 11:43 AM
Hi guys,

I've been raving about this game on my other guitar boards and have almost nothing but positive reviews. You can see one here: http://www.mylespaul.com/forum...-release-thread.html (http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/backstage/163685-rocksmith-post-release-thread.html)

Beyond my fanboyism, I have one very annoying flaw with the game, and I'm just going to copy and paste it here, please share any thoughts:

I really really think ghost notes need to be patched in ASAP (non-lit notes that show you the entire phrase but you don't have to play them). I see that part as the one major flaw in this game.

For example:

Try playing house of the rising son combo. It starts you off with single notes.

I for many years have played this song and have it mastered. I, like all other players, hold down the Am chord and arpeggio pick the chord.

Since the game starts slow with only one or two strings, even when you're national headliner like me, the only way I would know to hold down the Am chord is from pre Rocksmith experience. If I'm not holding down the Am chord, I can't play the arpeggio they want! It's not only harder, but it's not really right! Hand positioning is just as important as playing the right notes when you are learning. There is nothing there to say "you should hold down the Am chord and arpeggio pick this"

We need Ghost Notes that are translucent (not lit) that give you the full phrase. Then you need to light up the notes you want them to start with. It should also say "Am" somewhere, because picking this arpeggio is CAKE if you're just holding down the Am chord!

r1chard34
10-26-2011, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by aholycowww:
Hi guys,

I've been raving about this game on my other guitar boards and have almost nothing but positive reviews. You can see one here: http://www.mylespaul.com/forum...-release-thread.html (http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/backstage/163685-rocksmith-post-release-thread.html)

Beyond my fanboyism, I have one very annoying flaw with the game, and I'm just going to copy and paste it here, please share any thoughts:

I really really think ghost notes need to be patched in ASAP (non-lit notes that show you the entire phrase but you don't have to play them). I see that part as the one major flaw in this game.

For example:

Try playing house of the rising son combo. It starts you off with single notes.

I for many years have played this song and have it mastered. I, like all other players, hold down the Am chord and arpeggio pick the chord.

Since the game starts slow with only one or two strings, even when you're national headliner like me, the only way I would know to hold down the Am chord is from pre Rocksmith experience. If I'm not holding down the Am chord, I can't play the arpeggio they want! It's not only harder, but it's not really right! Hand positioning is just as important as playing the right notes when you are learning. There is nothing there to say "you should hold down the Am chord and arpeggio pick this"

We need Ghost Notes that are translucent (not lit) that give you the full phrase. Then you need to light up the notes you want them to start with. It should also say "Am" somewhere, because picking this arpeggio is CAKE if you're just holding down the Am chord!

If you watch the playback it shows the finger print thingies in the chord positions.

aholycowww
10-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by r1chard34:

If you watch the playback it shows the finger print thingies in the chord positions. I believe even in that section it will NOT show you to hold an Am chord, just show you which fingers to use on the CURRENT iteration of "skill level" that was provided for you.

Still, my suggestion is to put the "ghost notes" on the actual note display area. I really cannot look at both at the same time.

GimbalLock
10-26-2011, 12:13 PM
i Agree something like this should be added. Knowing the full scale of a riff or progression is important in how you set up your hand. Getting only a few notes of it starts some bad habits for me. At least something like this should be in the Riff repeater section.

oldgeezer99
10-27-2011, 08:04 AM
GREAT idea for ghost notes, that would be helpful, if it could be optional/turned off/brightness-gamma adjusted... so we can all see "Where we're heading" once we get the full note set worked on...

goldsac
10-28-2011, 01:36 AM
That's a great suggestion, I agree.
Why start a phrase in with one approach, only to have to overhaul all of your progress to adapt to a new pattern that emerges? If you can see what's coming, you can have a steady progression from 0% to 100%, and like it was said, won't have to unlearn wasted habits within a song. I felt the same way in RB3 when moving between difficulties - there's often no reward for getting to hard/expert when the easy/medium fingers don't transition properly whatsoever, especially when you don't know the song ahead of time.

One thing though: I get what you mean, but we need to call them something other than 'ghost notes', only because a ghost note is already a musical term for muted/implied/de-emphasized note.

AlexLifeson
10-28-2011, 08:39 AM
Ive seen the fingerprint things.What are those anyways?

[/QUOTE]If you watch the playback it shows the finger print thingies in the chord positions.[/QUOTE]

Goooner1
10-28-2011, 09:15 AM
Haven't noticed if the fingerprints represent where my fingers were or where they should be, I'll have to pay more attention tonight.

MacRukus
10-28-2011, 11:01 PM
GREAT IDEA! Ghost notes would make the first 5 hours bearable for someone who's played guitar for 10 years. It is sooooo slow I want to put it down sometimes, but press on with the belief that it will be super complex and awesome someday.....

r1chard34
10-29-2011, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by AlexLifeson:
Ive seen the fingerprint things.What are those anyways?

Those are the ghost notes.

If you watch the playback it shows the finger print thingies in the chord positions.

Chords are displayed as both that chord card that moves towards you AND the fingerprints on the fretboard.

During an arpeggio structured around an Am Chord, you'll see the notes move towards you as normal, but on the fretboard you'll see the fingerprints of the
chord the arpeggio is using.

I've only noticed these during the playback when I can study what is going on, but I assume they are they during play.

I assume this decision was made to avoid cluttering up the interface.

DeepDrummer
11-02-2011, 03:32 PM
I found the first thing that needcs to be done is to switch the settings for showing the strings in the game to inverted instead of standard. That way the chords show on the fretboard the same as they would show on any chord chart and the fretboard actually looks like what you would see when looking down at it. The standard way has everything backwards and will limit you eventually. When the first power chords started coming up on the standard setting I was saying "what the...." When I switched it to inverted, it was much easier in the long run. It took only minutes to get used to the change. The fingerings now look like the chord charts I have been looking at for years.
Try setting the string positions in the game (not actually switching strings on the actual guitar)to inverted for an hour. You'll see the logic when the chords start coming around which happened to me on day 4. They do give advance ghost notes as they come at you but if you're not playing on the inverted setting, you'll have a hard time especially if you've actually played any chords before. Oh and I am so glad Rocksmith forced me to play those first few power chords. I knew what they were and where they were on guitar before Rocksmith but I had a hard time to play them. Rocksmith forced me to get at it and now. Oh yeah. I am loving it.
Inverted....trust me.

thatguysdeezy
11-02-2011, 06:50 PM
well i just couldnt wait for the game to come out. i just got it yesterday overall i like the game. i just wished it was more songs or more DLC just like the others rock band 3 guitar heros etc it should be a new DLC in the Guitar Center everyday or every week. this way the game will never get old. just do me the favor and never put that rock hip hop bs on the game...