PDA

View Full Version : Campaign making?

XyZspineZyX
09-09-2003, 09:49 PM
I know it's probably been asked several times on how to do it, but here it goes again.

If there's a document somewhere to point me in the right direction just post a link if you will.

Basically I want to make a long series of missions, and turn them into a campaign. So I'm not looking for any random mission generators or anything like that.
It's going to be sort of a JABO type campaign for russian fighter planes. I mean the Sturmovik is the ground attack king, but I like missions where I can dogfight if needed effectively, but still get to rocket some trucks, and drop some bombs.
Like a JABO BF-109 mission I was flying where I totally disregarded my flight commander to climb up behind 4 PE-8 bombers, and shot 3 of them down. Then I still got to go bomb some trains. Same with the occasional I-16 mission where you get a few rockets to attack convoys and whatnot. Besides ground attack in a Sturmovik is fun. Ground attack in a fighter is hairy at best. Fast, highly manueverable, and low level = dangerous as heck!

Anyway just looking for some help on putting them all together.

XyZspineZyX
09-09-2003, 09:49 PM
I know it's probably been asked several times on how to do it, but here it goes again.

If there's a document somewhere to point me in the right direction just post a link if you will.

Basically I want to make a long series of missions, and turn them into a campaign. So I'm not looking for any random mission generators or anything like that.
It's going to be sort of a JABO type campaign for russian fighter planes. I mean the Sturmovik is the ground attack king, but I like missions where I can dogfight if needed effectively, but still get to rocket some trucks, and drop some bombs.
Like a JABO BF-109 mission I was flying where I totally disregarded my flight commander to climb up behind 4 PE-8 bombers, and shot 3 of them down. Then I still got to go bomb some trains. Same with the occasional I-16 mission where you get a few rockets to attack convoys and whatnot. Besides ground attack in a Sturmovik is fun. Ground attack in a fighter is hairy at best. Fast, highly manueverable, and low level = dangerous as heck!

Anyway just looking for some help on putting them all together.

XyZspineZyX
09-09-2003, 10:13 PM
I second that! I've got about 20 missions for a semi-historical P-11 mini campaign which would really benefit from being linked up and complete with promotions,awards etc.
I particuarly like the way Extreme_One's campaigns have those b/w interludes with the narrative - very immersive that! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif
and Hopperfly I'd definetely fly a campaign where I can ground pound AND chase after Emils! so could a knowledgable campaign chappie help here please......

http://www.airplane-world.addr.com/Corgi/aa30701.jpg

No601 County of London Squadron,Tangmere Pilots.
http://www.tangmerepilots.co.uk

XyZspineZyX
09-11-2003, 06:45 PM
No help in sight Gilly. I guess I'll have to do it the hard way and just play with it untill it works. Shouldn't be too hard as many as there are out there doing it. Just being lazy, and trying to get a quickstart on it.

Anyway if I figure it out I'll post the info.

XyZspineZyX
09-12-2003, 01:27 AM
Hi there,
I'll do my best to address your questions. Firstly, if you have any questions about full mission builder, check out
http://mudmovers.com/Sims/FB/il2_fb.htm
and look at the FMB 101 articles on a few aspects of mission building details. As far as turning those missions into a campaign, look first at page 57-59 of the IL2 FB manual. It gives a few basic pointers to get you started thinking about how to link up your missions as a campaign.
If you are comfortable navigating around your computer's files, go to the missions/campaign files and choose a country(DE,RU etc) and open up one of the campaign files and take a look at whats inside. mis and properties files, info files and a campaign configuration settings file. Get familiar with what is there and what it does.(Just a little intuitive exploring and experimentation can show you a lot.
As you create the missions themselves, begin with creating a campaign folder for your missions. If Russian, put it in the missions/campaigns/ru. Give it a name such as "yak1" or "LaGG" or whatever you like. As you build your missions in the FMB and complete each one, save them with "save as" and give each mission a name (like "yak1_1, yak1_2, yak1_3 etc)
and save it to your newly created campaign file.
When you have a whole bunch of missions you can look at page 57 and 58 of the IL2FB to follow the examples of how to make the list of missions in the "campaign" file. That at least is a start! I have to run but feel free to post with other questions.
Poymando

XyZspineZyX
09-12-2003, 09:54 AM
Hey thanks for the tips. Thats pretty much what I was going to do as far as digging into a campaign file to see what it needed.

On another though while making missions I realized we have a completely modelled aircraft in this game with absolutely no campaign base for it.
So I decided to make a campaign for it or at least that starts off in it which is the I-153. It's a great turn fighter, and can carry a good ground attack armament.

Anyway I've almost got one mission tuned up trying to keep them interesting. It's in the Gulf of Finland. Starts out 3 I-153's on the runway with a load of rockets just at dawn. A flight of PE-5's come overhead just as you lift off, and head off in search of your target (truck convoy).
There's a good bit of air traffic and some enemies to make life hard. Yet by the time you make it to the target it seems like a turkey shoot.
I've still got some tuning to do to get everything balanced right, and keep it interesting. I also like Russian missions to have an air of desperation about them.
Anyway I'm at work I may post it later for DL if anyone wants to check it out or fly a full fledged mission in a I-153.