PDA

View Full Version : Engines Vs Batteries...

Utildai
09-15-2008, 06:13 PM
Hey Everyone,

I am new to the sub game and to Silent Hunter IV. How the HECK do you run on engines under water? Seems to always default to the batteries, which requires me to surface and charge them continually, or is this normal?

The manual is no help. Seems a bit odd to have to do such a thing on long trips through friendly waters.

Thanks!

EDIT... Found my answer, thanks everyone. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Frank_Oconnor
09-15-2008, 09:32 PM
OK ...

1. Any type of internal combustion engine really chews up air (read oxygen).

2. When submerged, submarines tend to be pretty impervious to outside air.

3. Running internal combusition engines whilst submerged would probably work fine for a time .... but the crew tending the motors would probably die of carbon monoxide poisoning (or carbon dioxide poisoning if they were really unlucky) after you'd travelled a few miles. At any rate ... the air would run out real quick.

4. For this reason sub designers of the internal combustion erea decided that running the motors underwater was probably not a good idea.

5. Some bright spark therefore hit on the idea of running on batteries that were charged by the internal combustion engines when the sub was on the surface.

6. This worked real good. The number of crew fatalities due to asphyxiation dropped dramatically, morale soared, and crew recruitment techniques that didn't involve press ganging became popular.

7. Unfortunately, batteries ran down when under contant use.

8. This meant that planned crew facilities like saunas, tanning salons and air-conditioning weren't up to optimum.

9. In the interests of attracting a better class of crew something had to be done ... so the nuclear power plant was invented.

10. A better class of submarine crew eventuated ... and hence we have the gentlemanly lot that are around today (who will still blow stuff up with gay abandon, but are a lot cleaner and more presentable than the guys who were in the old Pig Boats.)

Regards,

RockinRobbins
09-16-2008, 01:45 PM
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/RockinRobbins13/smileys/giggle.gif
Frank your reply is so great the thread is over.

iTiger77
09-17-2008, 01:31 AM
I thought that snorkels where available early in the game, but its not. I pressume that its historicaly accurate...

But still, why wasn't the snorkel invented earlier? Its not THAT advanced. Fresh air could be "sucked" into the engine via the scope and exhaust fumes could be released in the water.

tousley
09-17-2008, 09:48 PM
Yeah, and why wasn't the space shuttle invented earlier too??? And MTV?? (Just kidding).

IIRC, German subs were the only ones that did any snorkling until the USSR got into the game. Problem with snorkels is that they have this BIG floaty thing to take in all the air needed (those babies need lots of O2), and it hasta stay attached to a sub traveling at changing depths and speeds, and it has its own white water wake depending on the speed of the sub, so it's VISIBLE, thus negating the submarine's primary benefit. Think of the size of an air scoop on a dragster. Now imagine how much air is needed by an engine twice as large as that entire dragster. And multiple engines on a ship, not to mention forcing enough air through for the crew, etc. Not so simple as it might seem at first glance...

iTiger77
09-18-2008, 08:19 AM
Hmm... you are probably right.

But still, I am a bit suprised that snorkels came as late as they dig. It's not "rocketscience"... :-)