PDA

View Full Version : More Ubi Recommendations and Ranked Custom Maps in Far Cry 2

CaptainDEEZ
06-16-2011, 04:46 PM
I think it would be a great idea for Ubisoft to build and keep interest in the Far Cry series.
If I had to do this, I would do quarterly Ubi Recommendations and add some more custom player maps to the ranked list in the meantime.
With the possibility of a whole year until the release of Far Cry 3, I think a gimmick such as this might be needed to keep players interest.

I made a small petition to request this. Whoever else thinks this is a good idea, please stop by and sign the list.
Ranked Custom Player Maps (http://cdeezgames.com/far-cry-3-news/more-far-cry-2-ranked-maps-in-anticipation-of-fc3/)

Leadstorm76
06-16-2011, 04:57 PM
Im sitting on a map thats almost done could be a winner.

CaptainDEEZ
06-16-2011, 05:11 PM
See! That's what I'm talking about.

People are still interested in Far Cry 2.

x_maxpower
06-16-2011, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by CaptainDEEZ:
I think it would be a great idea for Ubisoft to build and keep interest in the Far Cry series.
If I had to do this, I would do quarterly Ubi Recommendations and add some more custom player maps to the ranked list in the meantime.

There's no ComDev for FC2. They all got pulled to other projects...no one's left to do the updates. So they just left the engine running, but no one is behind the wheel.

Hopefully, we'll have one soon for FC3 though.

CaptainDEEZ
06-16-2011, 06:14 PM
We could hold a vote to choose the maps and they could just check it once or twice to update it.
And they wouldn't need somebody specifically for that, just somebody to check the votes a couple of times.

Eightboll812
06-17-2011, 09:40 AM
I agree. I don't think it would take a lot of manpower to add a few player maps to the list of ranked maps. Or make the map pack free so people can actually play it.

SABRETOOTH1971
06-21-2011, 04:23 PM
I think it`s a great idea. I don`t see any negatives to not doing so. It can only further interest for the next game and keep those who spent so long with the last one a chance to use it further.

Whether they will do it is another matter, though.

Leadstorm76
06-22-2011, 11:45 AM
OMG i guess ill never make the ubi recommended list for far cry 2. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

GUN_SABOTUR
05-15-2012, 11:24 PM
You might in FC3 - you are a good mapper :)

GUN_SABOTUR
11-14-2012, 12:39 PM
Will there be the same set-up in FC3? With a UbiSoft Recommended List and some maps chosen for Ranked Matches?

TheRealDrewdelz
11-14-2012, 07:03 PM
Will there be the same set-up in FC3? With a UbiSoft Recommended List and some maps chosen for Ranked Matches?

I'm not trying to be a rent-a-mod here, but this should have been made into a new topic. No need to bump a 6 month old one that's not even completely related to your question... >.>

GUN_SABOTUR
11-14-2012, 08:23 PM
My question is directly related to the same topic of discussion, namely, the Recommended & Ranked lists. The whole point Deez posted the thread was his concern regarding the input into regularly updating the Recommended and Ranked list which had been a common concern amongst a good number of mappers within this community. My question is whether these lists will still exist. I'll rephrase my question if you like to "Will the (yet to be confirmed) Recommended & Ranked lists be updated on a regular basis and over how many years" (which would have been a subsequent question after establishing whether or not the list will exist at all, as they do in FC2. Its not like I'm asking a question about a totally unrelated topic and I felt it was valid to show the background of this topic illustrated by the initial comments hereto discussed. I trust this is an adequate redress.

FALLEN CHAMP
11-14-2012, 08:55 PM
The FC2 Ranked and Recommended list got a lot of bad feedback, to be honest Kimi did the best she could with the resources at her disposal (And she has a heart of gold - it wasn't her bad doing) but I always felt that the game was deserted by the developers on the day of launch, all except for the half arsed patch which gave some things but took others away.

I remember some maps releasing and within the first hour and with one map having only 34 downloads it made the Recommended List - Fair play to those that made the list but aside from the image and map name did any map actually get a compliment or a line of text saying what was liked or which mode it played best in ?

Lets not go down that road again though - There are some really good maps that made the list and kudos to everyone - but there were some horror stories also.
Forget that - let it rest and wait until you find out what these guys have in store after the game releases.

They are the real deal and it will be very satisfying for a map maker with the support they have for the game after launch - they are in it for the long haul and will deliver.;)

GUN_SABOTUR
11-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the speedy reply Champ. Puts my mind at rest.

MSV-Vextor
11-14-2012, 11:35 PM
Ubisoft will hand-pick the very best maps and host those in what we call the “Gold Tier”

TheRealDrewdelz
11-14-2012, 11:43 PM
Ubisoft will hand-pick the very best maps and host those in what we call the “Gold Tier”

That's cool, so then will "Silver" and possibly "Bronze" tier contain maps ranked purely on community votes? And only those approved by Ubi make it "Gold"?
That sounds like a much better system than FC2 already. lol

Viragoxv535
11-14-2012, 11:45 PM
That's cool, so then will "Silver" and possibly "Bronze" tier contain maps ranked purely on community votes?...

Kind of :)

MSV-Vextor
11-15-2012, 06:14 PM
That's cool, so then will "Silver" and possibly "Bronze" tier contain maps ranked purely on community votes? And only those approved by Ubi make it "Gold"?
That sounds like a much better system than FC2 already. lol

That's pretty much it. When you first upload a map it ends up in Bronze. So this is the playlist for people that want the latest, and that are not afraid of insane stuff. After a map has been rated enough times it ends up in Silver. You can of course browse the full unfiltered list of uploaded maps at any time as well.

TheRealDrewdelz
11-15-2012, 06:27 PM
That's pretty much it. When you first upload a map it ends up in Bronze. So this is the playlist for people that want the latest, and that are not afraid of insane stuff. After a map has been rated enough times it ends up in Silver. You can of course browse the full unfiltered list of uploaded maps at any time as well.

Awesome! :) I like it. lol

FALLEN CHAMP
11-15-2012, 06:31 PM
I certainly am not afraid of the insane stuff - I plan on throwing some crazy maps together myself - but also some natural looking ones - can't wait to go to work with them.

GUN_SABOTUR
11-16-2012, 02:40 AM
So is there a limit on how many maps are Gold and do they get rotated? If they get rotated do they remain with a Gold status or return to Silver? It sounds better that the previous system. But I don't understand the process.

FALLEN CHAMP
11-16-2012, 08:46 AM
One thing I would like to know that some are asking is this.

How does the voting system work - Is it one vote per user on any one map, or can the same people host their maps and continuously vote them high time and time again.
Is it a 1-5 star or numbers e.g. 1-5 ?

I think I read before that we can add a map as a favorite - how does this work and is this something that works alongside the voting system ?

Thanks for any info.

Radigan14
11-16-2012, 08:51 AM
If we do get involved in map making, how can we better expose our maps. I mean it seems like it would be easy for a good map to fall through the cracks. Of course, I bet everyone thinks their map is the "good" map that gets thrown away with all the rubbish.

FALLEN CHAMP
11-16-2012, 09:24 AM
If we do get involved in map making, how can we better expose our maps. I mean it seems like it would be easy for a good map to fall through the cracks. Of course, I bet everyone thinks their map is the "good" map that gets thrown away with all the rubbish.

If I find any hidden gems I will be looking at doing some mini reviews on them and would host them in with other quality maps - there will be people that are honest and will help to promote maps but again it comes down to personal preference - A map which I might love another person could hate.

I am sure the good maps will get a chance if the maker hosts them and gets the name out around the various fan sites - there are people that only like to host quality and they often browse around through many maps looking for ones that maybe didn't get the attention they should.

AW LOST SOLDIER
11-16-2012, 11:09 AM
Ratigan14 these are the things you need to do to get your maps noticed

make it visually stand out (eye candy) its all about first impressions

make screenshots and make posters (people love this kind of stuff it makes you look more pro)

find someone that is skilled at video editing so they can promote your maps (this works)

when you publish your map post it on all fc map building sites fcmaps,fcuniverse,battlemap.net

make map themes that others are not doing (like when fc3 comes out everybody will be doing tropical themes I WONT)

host host host your maps

just stick at it you may feel ignored at first, but you must keep at it you will get there in the end GOOD LUCK

mambonuts
11-16-2012, 11:25 AM
there are people that only like to host quality and they often browse around through many maps looking for ones that maybe didn't get the attention they should.

Good point, Champ. This is the approach I've taken for many years.

Sadly, many excellent new maps/authors went un-noticed. Frequently, due to the fact that many players were always looking for the big names to release new stuff, and didn't give them a chance.

When I hosted rooms, I tried to find new stuff for the matches from the more obscure mappers...and believe me, there are many good ones out there.

Everyone needs their first break...and if they remain consistent and follow up with decent maps after, the rest is easy.