PDA

View Full Version : Das Boot: Which Version Do You Like?

erikkai66
03-08-2005, 07:50 PM
It's been a few years since I last saw this film, but before I buy the DVD, I wanted to ask everyone's opinion?

Which version do you recommend...one or the other?

The UNCUT version or the SUPERBIT Director's cut?

Let me know and why. Appreciate it!

Flanker15
03-08-2005, 07:57 PM
There are 2 versions?
I saw the directors cut and thought it was great, only problem was it was over 3hrs long. Whats the uncut version like? Is it longer or shorter than the directors cut version, or more violent?

Axxent
03-08-2005, 08:01 PM
I remember seeing a very long version... something in the area of five hours or so. It was highly entertaining.

JavDog
03-08-2005, 08:08 PM
I am in this exact same dilemma myself!

I am doing a sub-movie fest till launch day and have rented the Directors cut. 308 minutes I believe.

Having watched this movie sunday night, I would recommend BUYING the extended UNCUT version thats 4 1/2 hours long. Because you will love this movie and when the 3 1/2 hour one ended, I didn't want it to end!

You'll get the same special features, but way more movie. More sub life footage. Thats the one to buy. If it's too long, you can always just skip a chapter and get to your favorite parts.

The superbit has clarity, but you won't notice it unless it's on a really big screen. I have a 65 inch HDTV, and the normal bit rate is just fine. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

you guys should come over, I'm about to watch Red October!

blue_76
03-08-2005, 08:23 PM
i believe the superbit version is missing the commentary track.. so i'd go with the uncut version.

MBeck
03-09-2005, 01:01 AM
Get the orginal series (the 5 hours long version)

Some facts:
Das boot was originally a series with several episodes (8 I think). They a made a movie by cutting the series into a 1h45min long movie.
The directors cut is a longer movie, trying capture the feal of the original series.
Just recently the series has been released.

The first movie: Action mostly.
Directors cut: Still action, but more time with the crew in non action.
Series: Still action, BUT alot of time with the crew. All in all gives the best presentation of the life on a german sub in WWII.

vonce1
03-09-2005, 01:30 AM
The "Director's Cut" (double VHS) that I own is approx. 209 minutes. I'd advise to get version in german language with english subtitles - it adds a lot to the atmosphere... but I guess DVD format offers all options?

STEFOSTEF_FRANC
03-09-2005, 02:03 AM
there is various differents edition of das boot
i owned the shorten one but i prefer the director one of 300min

never saw the serie

MBeck
03-09-2005, 02:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by STEFOSTEF_FRANC:
there is various differents edition of das boot
i owned the shorten one but i prefer the director one of 300min

never saw the serie <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Then get going!! The movies you have seen is just short cuts of the movie!

Therion_Prime
03-09-2005, 02:23 AM
I recommend this version:

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00067R3FC/qid=1110359824/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_10_2/028-0996691-7463733

The original series (6 episodes) seamlessly combined to a movie 5 hours long. uncut and digitally remastered.

English and German
Dolby Digital 5.1
16:9

Osakajoe
03-09-2005, 02:26 AM
I have the full uncut Version at 5 Hours on 2 DVD,s.

By the way whats the name of the Character who hits the guy over the head when they are talking about how hard it's gonna be to get though Gibraltar?

Thanx

MBeck
03-09-2005, 03:32 AM
Franzen?

Nieldo
03-09-2005, 04:14 AM
gahh dont remind me, this stupid guy on ebay said he had posted it to me, first class I paid for! FIrST CLASS... well that was two days ago :/

Firedragon1717
03-09-2005, 04:34 AM
What is Das Boot? Is it a DVD concert?....J/K please don't hurt me! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Paul_Kitngtiger
03-09-2005, 04:59 AM
Read the book. It's excellent. Concentrates on the characters more even than the 5 hour version.

Also if you don't session it, it should last you until release.

ISBN: 0297645145

Alarrrmmmm
03-09-2005, 05:04 AM
ive seen the directors cut, the series that was on tv, the 4 hour long version (which was made out of the tv series but shortened down, and the superbit collection, which aint much different, apart from sound i think http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif the 4 hour long version is the best!

Baletzan
03-09-2005, 06:07 AM
Well I found 4 different versions, the original movie, the suberbit directors cut, the 4h 42 min long uncut version and the miniseries.

Which one should I buy? I'm battling with the uncut version and the tv series... The series are a bit more expensive than the uncut version and doesn't have extras.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> DAS BOOT - MINI SERIES (1981)

One of the famed German U-Boats known as 'The Grey Wolves' prowling the North Atlantic, U-96 is given a tactically vital but terrifying mission in the closing days of the war. Wolfgang Petersen's original 6 part miniseries of 'Das Boot', a graphic and gripping tale that follows the daring patrol of U-96, is presented here in a fully restored feature length version.
Actors: Jurgen Prochnow : Herbert Gronemeyer : Klaus Wennemann : Hubertus Bengsch : Martin Semmelrogge : Bernd Tauber : Erwin Leder : Heinz Hoenig - Director: Wolfgang Petersen. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pr0metheus 1962
03-09-2005, 07:51 AM
The version I originally saw was the miniseries, and it always seemed the most powerful version to me. None of the cut versions have achieved the same level of suspense as the longest version had, but I guess that could be because I saw the longest version first, and so Ialready knew the story when I saw the other versions.

It should be noted that there are at least 5 versions of the film (Das Boot 200mins, Superbit Version 200mins, Director's Cut 209mins, Mini Series 282mins, and Uncut Version 293mins). Note that the one marketed in England as "The Original Series" is actually ten minutes SHORTER than the one marketed in the US as the "Uncut Version". I'm not sure where the difference lies - maybe it's the mini series with the director's cut additions. Anyway, I seem to recall the series being longer than a mere 5 hours. Of course it could be that it was shown on ITV, in which case commercials would have pushed the length to something like 8 hours. It's so long ago, so I don't really remember. One thing is for sure, if you want the longest Das Boot version available, get the US "Uncut Version" - that's the one I own.

naturalhigh1985
03-09-2005, 08:58 AM
Hehehe well make that six, I have Directors Cut, 208 minutes http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I ran out and bought it after reading this thread.
Only 10" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Cheap cheap said the budgie!

erikkai66
03-09-2005, 09:29 AM
Wow! Thanks!

Ok...let's talk about quality.

Can you notice a big difference in the video/audio with the Superbit vs the Uncut version?

I hear the print is a bit grainy by itself, so the transfer is "as good as it gets."

JavDog
03-09-2005, 09:32 AM
That's moot bro. You'll feel cheated with anything less thant the UNCUT. Again, it won;t matter on a television. Even my HDTV looked fine without the superbit.

erikkai66
03-09-2005, 09:35 AM
Thanks!

cherbert
03-09-2005, 09:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Beeryus:
I'm not sure where the difference lies - maybe it's the mini series with the director's cut additions. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you will find that the UK & US Mini-Series DVD's are identical. The difference in running time is probably due to the difference in NTSC / PAL playback speeds.

Nieldo
03-09-2005, 09:54 AM
woohoo, just watched the UK Directors cut version for the first time... great film, funny times, and very sad times at the end :/

sav112
03-09-2005, 10:14 AM
Glad you made me remember I own the directors cut in video, widescreen. It's the only film I have every watched and enjoyed with subtitles, the German voices just adds to the film experience.

I did see the Directors Cut DVD in a clearance sale for 5 and did not buy it as I had the VHS copy, now I wish I had.

I€ll watch it before the 18th. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I just love the fact that I shout at the RAF for killing everyone at the end and me being Scottish as well.

Nieldo
03-09-2005, 10:28 AM
yeah its really sad :/ I wasnt expecting that ...

I got the dvd off ebay for 5 (including postage)